• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple patents way to secretly call 911 using your fingerprint

Yeoman

Just a note to Samsung users that might not be aware of it: Samsung devices have a feature that allows you to send an image, GPS coordinates, and a 5 second audio recording to chosen emergency contacts when the unlock button is quickly pressed 3 times.
However you need to activate it in the settings. I think LG has something similar too.

The patent adds that the technology could erase or hide certain personal data you might not want to share with others, such as social security numbers or a home address.
So when the police demand my phone for that textalyser thing I can just unlock it like this and hide certain info? Cool.

Lucini

Banned

Vuze

So when the police demand my phone for that textalyser thing I can just unlock it like this and hide certain info? Cool.
Yeah, that's pretty nice. Like you could hide your social media apps etc if you don't want airport security to snoop through it or similar.

TrutaS

Patenting doesn't mean they would charge for others to do it. Means they developed the technology, and without a patent other could try to file a patent for themselves and charge them, for something they actually thought of in the first place.

Not trying to be apple defense force, I think it would be quite evil to charge for an idea that may save lives.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The risk then is that there is a larger risk of somebody else patenting it, and then it is possible you are screwed.

They just have more control this way, I do have my doubts about them restricting others from using this, but it is much safer.

Well they could say we patented this and we will make it public domain. That's not what they did.

TimmmV

Apple haven't even announced whether they will make this iPhone exclusive/charge to use the license, or license it out for free (which they obviously should be doing).

The fact that people are already bending over backwards to justify something Apple haven't done yet, and may not even do is hilarious

Did you miss these posts?

Hence my "This isn't a patent on calling 911" because people clearly reacted as if it was.

But it could possibly be a improved way for calling for help in a discreet manner which Apple could have exclusive use of for years to come. I think that's what people are taking issue with.

jts

...hate me...
"Apple are shitty because they don't work on improving our phones too, it was the least they could do after inventing them 10 years ago!"

Every company patents their ideas. Good cause or not, free to license or not, if they didn't patent it, someone else would (a rival company or a patent troll) and they would be locked out of their own idea.

Keep being dense and blaming the player instead of the game.

You can patent something and still let other companies use it royalty-free. Volvo owned the patent for a while on the seatbelt we all use today but let other companies use it

Daedardus

They better allow others to use it for free or that's just unethical.

If it becomes a really essential thing for phones to have, Apple could be willing to license it to other companies who want it for a fair licensing terms, under the RAND terms. A patent still remains an implementation and not an idea though, other companies can still implement a similar technique for calling 911, but not under the specifications brought out by the patent. Kinda like how you can't patent motion controls, you have to patent a very specific way a certain sensor communicates with a data processor to give to desired output.

"Apple are shitty because they don't work on improving our phones too, it was the least they could do after inventing them 10 years ago!"

Every company patents their ideas. Good cause or not, free to license or not, if they didn't patent it, someone else would (a rival company or a patent troll) and they would be locked out of their own idea.

Keep being dense and blaming the player instead of the game.

Patenting it is one thing. Keeping it solely for one set of customers is another. As others have already said, look at what Volvo did with their seat belt patent. Now this new way of calling for emergency services may not be as revolutionary as the seat belt was, and maybe it isn't as needed (in the sense that it may not be simpler than dialling 999 or whatever) by end users as much either, but *if* Apple do keep it for their users only then... yeah, it's a dick move. Also kinda short-sighted as opening it up would get them a lot of positive PR.

Harmen

Actually, I am fine with Apple and other companies making money off of patents like this. Because the fact that companies can make money with potentially life saving ideas, means they will have people focusing on innovation to do so. Offcourse I also think it should open for use in devices by other companies, but a (small) fee would be a good incentive for companies to put in the effort of developing these applications in the first place.

Why are people pissed at them for trying to patent it? If they don't then someone else will. Someone's going to do it, might as well be the people that came up with it.
Yeah, just like the seatbelt... oh wait

Volvo patented it, they just opened it up for other people to use afterwards.

Would be nice if Apple copied Volvo and just let everyone use their patent. This is an incredible life-saving idea that shouldn't cost lives for a marketing bulletpoint.

digdug2k

Why are people pissed at them for trying to patent it? If they don't then someone else will. Someone's going to do it, might as well be the people that came up with it.

"Thank God they patented it! Think of the evil Dastardly Dogs could have brought!"

All you have to do is document the idea and any other patent application for it would be invalid. The only reason to patent shit is to use it to make money.

"Thank God they patented it! Think of the evil Dastardly Dogs could have brought!"

All you have to do is document the idea and any other patent application for it would be invalid. The only reason to patent shit is to use it to make money.

But a patent doesn't mean it's locked down and only Apple can use it, look at the Volvo example in this thread. There's nothing wrong with the principle of wanting to protect your own ideas and leaving it open for others to use. Companies making money off saving lives is far from a new thing.

numble

For those saying it is a brilliant idea, a version of this patent has been floating around for over 3 years, and it hasn't been taken up--it looks like one of those thousands of patents that get filed but are not used because it may not be viable in practice.
https://www.macrumors.com/2015/11/05/apple-patents-touch-id-panic-mode/

The Nano SIM is patented by Apple but it is used on other phones because Apple has granted a royalty-free license for others to use it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I had the shortcut button on the side of my Samsung S5 set to dial 911.

samsung-galaxy-s6-active-aa-18-of-19-840x473.jpg

I miss having that option.

Given how often I might accidentally change my volume or attempt to open the camera, this just seems like a really good way to find yourself accidentally calling 911 a lot?

As others have stated, there is no issue with patenting it unless they then decide to keep it to themselves. We'll have to see what they do with it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Only rich latest model iPhone owners deserve to be saved.

Numb

They better allow others to use it for free or that's just unethical.
Caring enough to come up with this but not enough to share
If you ever find yourself in a situation you need to call the cops on the low-low so the perpetrator doesn't notice then you should've bought apple

Tacitus_

And in doing so, make no money on their invention. I was refuting the "no one will innovate if they can't make money" line.

Top Bottom