• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

The crashes I can't really explain. Give it a day or two - usually that type of thing shakes out and I have heard a few S3 owners had initial jitters and problems.

Having been an Apple Watch owner since nearly Day 1 of the product's life, I will say that the device's strengths lie mostly in four places: fitness, navigation, notifications and very quick triage tasks or information glancing. Things like browsing Instagram/Twitter/Facebook or scrolling through your entire music library on the watch are not the things the Apple Watch is good at - and may *never* be good at. While the Watch has LTE now, it's still my opinion that the Apple Watch isn't an iPhone replacement.

When the watch debuted, app developers did a lot of ambitious and stupid things - almost none of which worked out or were good (like an Instagram client). Watch OS 2 fixed some of the initial issues but by that point a lot of app developers had moved on. Same with OS3 and now 4 - there are few developers still actively doing things on the Watch and those that are have really cut down on what they're trying to get the device to do and remove a lot of extra interface that was really just cruft.

I have a dozen apps on my watch and I still use it mostly to get notifications and to control music/podcast playback (just play/pause/skip not browsing a large library). For me, those functions have been transformative and means my phone does not need to be permanently attached to my right hand.

Agreed with all of this.

The initial watch launch, they didn't have a focus. They tightened that up with watch OS 3. Lol before 3 they had a dedicated button for accessing your contacts as if messaging or calling was the primary focus. Never used it.

I actually only have two apps installed on my watch. One I don't actually use but I like to have there (a calculator lol).

For me, it's just getting notifications that I can ignore without having to use my phone and to do some basic tasks while largely hands free (Siri messaging, adding to a shopping list), and some basic glance info such as weather forecast and time.

I actually really like the fitness stuff, although I've turned a lot of the reminders for it off. I just like to activate the workout app when I go for walks and rides.

The OS was quite different before 3. I can say for 4 because I can't update.
Thanks, both of you. It's just a really big change and the design language of the watch takes a lot of getting used to. I'm very slowly grokking everything but there's going to be an adjustment period. I guess my main problem was coming from a Pebble I expected this magical, amazing device that could do tons more than the Pebble could... Yet I find I'm using it for the same exact stuff with a slightly better (arguable, I loved the Time OS) interface. Anywhere I try to reach beyond the Pebble I find issues.

japtor

I feel like when going beyond the basics it might be easier to have something specific in mind that you want, then hope there’s some way or an app that does it and does it well enough (i.e. with as little friction as possible) on the watch. It can do a crapload of stuff, but ultimately that might not necessarily be what you want in the end due to whatever limitations. It’s tempting to just load it all up but I think it’s better to start minimal then add stuff as you feel they’d be useful. I think one other main thing usage learning curve wise is just that there’s so much you can set up, from the apps themselves, notifications, to the faces and complications, dock, and different little other settings.

SaintR

Series 1 owner for over a year now and there’s a New wrinkle on Watch Os 4 I’m not loving so far.

When I’m listening to a song or podcast and I glance at my watch to see the time instead of seeing my normal watch face, i see the music player dock instead. I could see how this would be useful if I’m running and want to quickly pause or next track but when I’m just at work or something I’d rather just see my normal watch face so I can know what time it is or what’s today’s date etc.

I have to press my crown in to get it back to my watch face but if I look up at my watch again a few minutes later and I’m listening to a podcast still , it’s back on the music dock again. Annoying.

Series 1 owner for over a year now and there’s a New wrinkle on Watch Os 4 I’m not loving so far.

When I’m listening to a song or podcast and I glance at my watch to see the time instead of seeing my normal watch face, i see the music player dock instead. I could see how this would be useful if I’m running and want to quickly pause or next track but when I’m just at work or something I’d rather just see my normal watch face so I can know what time it is or what’s today’s date etc.

I have to press my crown in to get it back to my watch face but if I look up at my watch again a few minutes later and I’m listening to a podcast still , it’s back on the music dock again. Annoying.
On your phone, go to the watch app, General > Wake Screen. There is a button that says "auto launch audio apps." Turn it off to go back to not having Now Playing pop up.

MickD

Got the Space Grey with Dark Olive Band LTE from ATT on the way. I hope I like it, never had a Apple Watch. Had a pebble OG that I loved and then I switched to a military watch.

I hope I actually use it, however I'm in remote areas of the rockies a lot, so I dunno how useful this thing will be.

I'm also super worried about breaking the damn thing.

DonShula

Welp, I bought one. It’s going to take me weeks to figure out what this thing can do. Still messing around with it. It tracks very differently than Fitbit and that’s going to take some getting used to.

SaintR

On your phone, go to the watch app, General > Wake Screen. There is a button that says "auto launch audio apps." Turn it off to go back to not having Now Playing pop up.

Thanks! That did it! Guess I didn’t go through the menu as thoroughly as I thought. I appreciate it, thanks.

I feel like when going beyond the basics it might be easier to have something specific in mind that you want, then hope there’s some way or an app that does it and does it well enough (i.e. with as little friction as possible) on the watch. It can do a crapload of stuff, but ultimately that might not necessarily be what you want in the end due to whatever limitations. It’s tempting to just load it all up but I think it’s better to start minimal then add stuff as you feel they’d be useful. I think one other main thing usage learning curve wise is just that there’s so much you can set up, from the apps themselves, notifications, to the faces and complications, dock, and different little other settings.
Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I've been in the iOS ecosystem since the 3G and have something like 500 apps installed on my current device... So when I synced the Watch, dozens of apps came over adding to how overwhelmed I felt. I'm whittling it down and learning what the device is good and bad at, and getting better at the controls. It's getting there, but it's definitely an adjustment. The Pebble was simple, easy. There is a ton more to this.

4.1 beta is out with Music/Radio streaming:

Music Streaming and the new Radio app
With watchOS 4.1, you can stream music, giving you access to any song from Apple Music or your iCloud Music Library, straight from the wrist. The new Radio app also gives you access to Beats 1 live or any Apple Music radio station while away from your phone or Wi-Fi. And you can use Siri as your personal DJ. Just raise your wrist and ask Siri to play anything from Reggaeton hits to Top 40 tracks to French Garage Rock.

4.1 beta is out with Music/Radio streaming:

Music Streaming and the new Radio app
With watchOS 4.1, you can stream music, giving you access to any song from Apple Music or your iCloud Music Library, straight from the wrist. The new Radio app also gives you access to Beats 1 live or any Apple Music radio station while away from your phone or Wi-Fi. And you can use Siri as your personal DJ. Just raise your wrist and ask Siri to play anything from Reggaeton hits to Top 40 tracks to French Garage Rock.

Wait Apple Music streaming is a separate app from Music?

DonShula

I like the watch, but to be honest, getting the fitness part of it to remotely accomplish the same thing as a Fitbit app and tracker is a bit of a dumpster fire from what I’ve seen so far. I have to use one app to record food (MyFitnessPal), another app to record activity (Activity), and another app to act as the broker between them (Health), but sometimes the broker app feeds the food app with data collected by the phone instead of the watch? And the food app doesn’t know how many calories I’ve burned based on heart rate and weight, it just takes a goal chosen by me and adds the calories burned during exercise to that goal number to assume how much I should eat? That seems... flimsy at best.

There has got to be an easier way to accomplish this stuff.

I like the watch, but to be honest, getting the fitness part of it to remotely accomplish the same thing as a Fitbit app and tracker is a bit of a dumpster fire from what I’ve seen so far. I have to use one app to record food (MyFitnessPal), another app to record activity (Activity), and another app to act as the broker between them (Health), but sometimes the broker app feeds the food app with data collected by the phone instead of the watch? And the food app doesn’t know how many calories I’ve burned based on heart rate and weight, it just takes a goal chosen by me and adds the calories burned during exercise to that goal number to assume how much I should eat? That seems... flimsy at best.

There has got to be an easier way to accomplish this stuff.

Think of Apple’s Health app as a giant database that apps can feed data into and read data out of, which in reality it is, and in my opinion it excels at. I use MFP to track calories, which it then deposits into Health. MFP isn’t great at tracking calories burned, that’s what the Watch and Activity are for. I use a smart scale to record my weight. Now MFP is stubborn and will accept calories you burn from a dedicated workout, but not just the active or resting calories that you burn naturally through the day that the Watch records, so I use the app CaliCalo to do that.

Each app has a function they excel at and some ancillary functions they don’t, but I can just leverage the strengths of all of them to get what I want using Health as the mediator.

Health Mate: used with my scale to record my weight
MyFitnessPal: record calories
Apple Watch: track all calories burned, both through just existing and through workouts. Apple Watch does all the calculations based on weight, type of workout, and heart rate so it should be the most accurate
CaliCalo: give me net calories for the day based on MFP and Apple Watch data

And I have some other apps for more specialized workouts, like Nike Run Club and Intervals and Pocket Yoga and Strong, all which leverage what the Apple Watch is recording to get the most accurate measurements.

Find an app that does a specialized function you want, and link it up to Health. You’ll get better information and they’ll all be flowing to one database for easy day-by-day tracking. There’s a lot of flexibility here

DonShula

Think of Apple’s Health app as a giant database that apps can feed data into and read data out of, which in reality it is, and in my opinion it excels at. I use MFP to track calories, which it then deposits into Health. MFP isn’t great at tracking calories burned, that’s what the Watch and Activity are for. I use a smart scale to record my weight. Now MFP is stubborn and will accept calories you burn from a dedicated workout, but not just the active or resting calories that you burn naturally through the day that the Watch records, so I use the app CaliCalo to do that.

Each app has a function they excel at and some ancillary functions they don’t, but I can just leverage the strengths of all of them to get what I want using Health as the mediator.

Health Mate: used with my scale to record my weight
MyFitnessPal: record calories
Apple Watch: track all calories burned, both through just existing and through workouts. Apple Watch does all the calculations based on weight, type of workout, and heart rate so it should be the most accurate
CaliCalo: give me net calories for the day based on MFP and Apple Watch data

And I have some other apps for more specialized workouts, like Nike Run Club and Intervals and Pocket Yoga and Strong, all which leverage what the Apple Watch is recording to get the most accurate measurements.

Find an app that does a specialized function you want, and link it up to Health. You’ll get better information and they’ll all be flowing to one database for easy day-by-day tracking. There’s a lot of flexibility here

Thank you for the suggestion - I will check out that app.

It is overwhelming to see all the watch functionality for the first time. I came in mostly blind and am sure I have a long way to go.

8bit

Knows the Score
I must be missing something,but how do I manage what music is on my watch? I'd ideally like to play music from my watch to my airpods, can I do this on a series 2?

Vuze

I must be missing something,but how do I manage what music is on my watch? I'd ideally like to play music from my watch to my airpods, can I do this on a series 2?
Watch app on your iPhone → Music → Add playlist
Only works with Apple Music, Spotify still hasn’t released their watch app

I got my Black Sport Loop yesterday. Here is my one day review in gif form:

sxcUcxs.gif

Don't know how it will hold up, durability wise, but for now it's super comfy.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Anyone having issues with standing notifications no longer showing up, despite being on?

I'm on an OG watch.

I'm also having issues where, in Overcast, it says audio is "paused" but keeps playing on the phone, sometimes requiring a weird double tap. I've rebooted the phone and watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
End of day 3, watch at 20% battery. Don’t think I’ll risk day 4 but it’ll make it through a weekend away without me worrying about it.

Has done for me since (at least) the watch first released.

So I just checked literally every setting in MFP and I didn’t find a way for it to read energy from Health. And I checked the sources tab in Health and MFP has asked to read steps, workouts, and walking+running distance, but not active energy or resting energy

jts

...hate me...
Anyone having issues with standing notifications no longer showing up, despite being on?

I'm on an OG watch.

I'm also having issues where, in Overcast, it says audio is "paused" but keeps playing on the phone, sometimes requiring a weird double tap. I've rebooted the phone and watch.
Stand reminders not working in watchOS 4 (series 0) even after turning the setting off and on again. Ugh.

Gonna try and see if a reboot fixes it.

I literally came visit this thread again to ask if anyone, anyone at all is getting stand notifications in Series 0 with watchOS 4 at all. Seems to be borked, and nothing fixes it.

Poor quality updates from Apple this Fall.

Vuze

I literally came visit this thread again to ask if anyone, anyone at all is getting stand notifications in Series 0 with watchOS 4 at all. Seems to be borked, and nothing fixes it.

fwiw, I still get them on my series 0. Got one just today.

I'm on an OG watch.

https://m.imore.com/how-to-fix-broken-stand-reminders?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Just popped up on my Twitter

Also hi Patrick!

I had that issue with Overcast as well, what I actually did was uninstall the watch app so when I raise my wrist to see the media screen it is actually the Now Playing screen with volume control and not the Overcast player without it. Sorry Marco, but I need my volume control

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
w00f, tough update for Series0 users.

Siri, and everything really is just not as usable as before. Yikes.
Gonna hold another year I think but dayum if I could revert to os3 I may actually do it. Siri just has been not working for since I updated. And definitely more crashy. Slow. All around shittier.

I really dont feel like I experience this w/ apple devices too often. The original iphone 2.5 years in was a device with much more life in it than my current watch.

mrkgoo

w00f, tough update for Series0 users.

Siri, and everything really is just not as usable as before. Yikes.
Gonna hold another year I think but dayum if I could revert to os3 I may actually do it. Siri just has been not working for since I updated. And definitely more crashy. Slow. All around shittier.

I really dont feel like I experience this w/ apple devices too often. The original iphone 2.5 years in was a device with much more life in it than my current watch.

My series 0 is still on watchOS 3. It's because I have an iPhone 5 that can't take iOS 11. Both my phone and watch are in good places at the moment, so I think I can stick with them for a bit longer.

Man, my battery life still sucks since updating the OS on series 2. At this point usually at about 60%. At 33 now. It’s gotta be the “auto launch music apps” right?

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Thanks for the standing link fix. :) I stand plenty during the day, but I like the reminders because as someone who works from home, it's an excuse to get up and do a quick chore (wash the dishes, fold laundry, etc.) I've literally noticed less getting done around my house this week because of the notification disappearing.

Guess I'll just delete Overcast off my watch to fix the bluetooth issue; the Apple "now playing" app seems to work fine. (And like someone else, I miss the volume slider.)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No issues with my Series 0 on the new watchOS4 and iPhone 7, installed a few days ago. Everything is working the same. I like the siri watchface.
Dang, I may format and reinstall. Siri is massively u responsive for me now. And the sunrise widget is just broke.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow series 3 is much more usable for apps than S0. My daughter asked me to Shazam a song and my phone was the other side of the room so I tried my watch. Not only did it quickly identify the song, but pressing play to preview it was fast and surprisingly loud.

Might start looking at a few more apps - had given up before.

pbsapeer

Banned
So from what I can tell, when you have DND come on to the iPhone automatically it doesn't switch off again (whether automatically or manually)

So from what I can tell, when you have DND come on to the iPhone automatically it doesn't switch off again (whether automatically or manually)

I have DND set on my phone every night and mirrored to my Watch as I wear my Watch to bed for sleep tracking. I’ve never had a problem with DND not turning itself off on the Watch or phone. I have a Series 2 with WatchOS 4.

SuperPac

Mine does. If you have the "mirror iPhone" set up in your Watch's DND settings and it's still not doing it, restoring the watch from a backup will usually fix the issue.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does an Apple Watch have to be paired with a phone? Or can you just unbox it and use it as a watch only?

pbsapeer

Banned
Mine does. If you have the "mirror iPhone" set up in your Watch's DND settings and it's still not doing it, restoring the watch from a backup will usually fix the issue.
Damn I really CBA restoring the watch but if that's the fix I'll have to do it.

Sean

Banned
Ever since Twitter removed their Apple Watch app I've had issues displaying the icon - it displays a white generic wireframe icon instead.

Shouldn't it fall back to using the icon from the phone app? Any ideas on how to fix this? It's kind of annoying.

Ever since Twitter removed their Apple Watch app I've had issues displaying the icon - it displays a white generic wireframe icon instead.

Shouldn't it fall back to using the icon from the phone app? Any ideas on how to fix this? It's kind of annoying.

Nah, that’s just an issue that’s widespread. Snapchat also seems to be doing it for just about everyone

Just gotta wait for a patch, either from Apple or the developers

Side note, someone asked me about this the other day like it was the end of the world and I was just like “Yeah, it’s a little annoying, but you just gotta be patient” and he was like... not having it. He basically blew me off and was like, “Well if you don’t know I’m going to find someone who does” which was... interesting. But whatevs man, you do you

Apps won’t install on my Watch anymore. It’s connected to my phone, I’m still receiving notifications and everything, but if I go to install an app the little installing animation in the Watch app just spins and makes no progress. Am I about to be looking at wiping and repairing it?

Things I’ve tried. Hard reset of the phone and Watch. Force closing the Watch companion app on my phone. When I did that the install animation reverted to the install button, but I still can’t install anything.

Sean

Banned
Nah, that’s just an issue that’s widespread. Snapchat also seems to be doing it for just about everyone

Just gotta wait for a patch, either from Apple or the developers

Side note, someone asked me about this the other day like it was the end of the world and I was just like “Yeah, it’s a little annoying, but you just gotta be patient” and he was like... not having it. He basically blew me off and was like, “Well if you don’t know I’m going to find someone who does” which was... interesting. But whatevs man, you do you

Ah thanks. I don't use Snapchat so I wasn't aware this was part of a larger issue. Hopefully it's something the app developers can fix by themselves because Apple Watch software updates are painfully slooooow. Though now that I'm on a Series 3 maybe it won't be quite as bad.

Top Bottom