• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's iPad 2 event | March 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:
How deep-seated can that hatred really be? The first ever white TouchOS device just came out a few hours ago.
oh? I thought there were white iPhones. I guess they never got around to that.

Obviously I'm over-stating, it's just that in all released media, they look so much tackier to me.

animlboogy said:
They exist for the 4. But don't forget the 3GS white.
Oh yeah I stand corrected, I forgot about the white 3GS.

Kinda amazed the white iPad is selling so well! I know it's the one Apple is pushing more in the marketing, but still! Did anyone here go for white?

Gary Whitta said:
Oh yeah I stand corrected, I forgot about the white 3GS.

Kinda amazed the white iPad is selling so well! I know it's the one Apple is pushing more in the marketing, but still! Did anyone here go for white?
White was available for the iPhone 3G as well.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Is anyone ever?
it's a conversation starter, I think you can safely assume people who use that don't actually think they're the only one.

Firestorm

Rez said:
it's a conversation starter, I think you can safely assume people who use that don't actually think they're the only one.
Nitpicky eyerolll-worthy shit like that is what Liu Kang is known for. Don't take that away from him!

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I just got this email regarding the order I placed yesterday:
Apple said:
Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent Apple order.

We appreciate your interest in iPad 2. There is a limited quantity per
customer for this product and your order has exceeded this limit. Your
order has therefore been cancelled and you will not be charged.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

If you have any questions regarding this order, please contact us at
applestoreinfo@apple.com.

Sincerely, 
Apple Online Store Customer Support 
Can someone explain to me why they canceled my order? I only ordered one iPad 2 which they already charged me for.

numble

Crisco said:
ummmmm , wrong? Unless their Cortex A9 implementation includes NEON, it'll be at best equal to Tegra2.
Looks like A5 has NEON, so it's not equal to the Tegra 2.

GsjcX.jpg

But the only factor we can think of that would explain such a boost in LINPACK performance vs. both the original iPad and rival Tegra 2-based devices is that A5 must have full support for ARM's NEON vector extensions (the ARM equivalent of Intel's SSE instructions). The NEON extensions, along with the larger vector FPU (VFPU) to support them, are included by default in the A8 family, but are optional in the A9. NVIDIA's Tegra 2 opted for the smaller, lower-power, but weaker ARM FPU, while Apple seems to have included the beefier NEON VFPU in their implementation of the A9. Clearly this is the way to go, and we can expect other ARM SoC vendors to follow suit.
http://arstechnica.com/#!/apple/reviews/2011/03/ipad-2-the-ars-review.ars/5

Update: Sorry, didn't realize there was an official iPad 2 OT. Feel free to ignore this post.

So what do you guys hope to see in iOS 5?

This was taken from the wishlist on the macrumors forum , but I agree with just about all of them...

A filesystem is my biggest want for the next iOS. Not like on a Mac where you see system files and other stuff, but just a users home folder. A place that all apps can access and load and save files from/to. That way if I have a document it doesn't have to exist inside of each app in order to access it. (1 copy in DropBox, 1 in Pages, 1 in DocsToGo, etc.) Also it means that Apples apps would be able to share files with DropBox or any other file syncing service. Then get rid of the file sharing in iTunes and instead just have the disk show up as an external drive. - Originally posted by Jclardy. And please let us drag and drop videos and photos from any PC directly into the iPad's video/photos folder without having to go through iTunes and syncing everything. It sucks that we can't just simply drag and drop a photo from a friend's computer into the Phone. When plugged in, allow Windows/OSX to recognize and use the iPad as a 32GB/64GB/128GB Mass/USB Storage Device with access to the file system.

Improved notifications, notifications that don't disappear immediately (like push notifications that you see on the unlock screen), let the notifications show up somewhere and have a dismiss all button or something like that. Example: http://vimeo.com/18568684

Updated Lock Screen That Displays Number of Texts, Emails & Custom Widgets of our choice

Dynamic Weather, Temp, Stocks and Clock Icons (or Widgets)

"I want the ipad to integrate more with the iphone. I've said it all along. There should be a software setting on the iphone that pushes all texts, notifications to the ipad. So I dont have to go back and forth just to reply to text messages. Now blackberry is doing it with the playbook but I figured apple would have done this from the get go with the ipad." - CrAkd

OTA/Wireless iTunes and Syncing - file-soup solution allowing apps to push and pull files from a cloud-synced file-collection

Output iPad to HDTVs/Apple TV scaled or downconverted to display at 1080p either OTA/Wirelessly or via a mini-HDMI port or a Dock Connector to VGA adapter

Higher contrast ratio and much lower minimum brightness - The iPad is way too bright to use in the dark, it gives me headaches. iBooks goes much lower (by making all the colours grey basically) but this should also be possible system-wide, in Safari etc

Wireless Hotspots without Jailbreaking

Arrow keys on the keyboard so we can correct mistakes without having to delete everything.

Improved/More Voice Commands - Siri Assistant/Voice controls across the board: Turn off Bluetooth, Turn off Wifi, Launch Safari, Open a Website, Create Notes and Type/Dictate Emails with our voice (integrated voice to text input across the board).

Full use of Bluetooth. It sucks that we can't BT a photo or anything else to other devices.

Let us Add (via Bluetooth, iTunes apps, Dropbox and other Apps), Delete and Rename Music, Videos from our iPads directly.

Let us download files from Safari(or other apps) and store them on the phone in a centralized location, then be able to access them without Safari on my Mac/PC for easy file sharing/swapping.

Apple, let us organize the 100+ photos and videos on our iPads into separate folders/albums. Add a file system for organizing and reordering videos, music, photos (into albums), and documents (PDF, DOC, PAGES), and other files for email attachments directly on the phone itself without having to sync it, and giving the files names and describtions. Adding a file system would allow us to attach any filetype to emails we are sending out. They could also improve the controls over podcasts so that we could delete podcasts or rearrange the order of podcasts and make iTunes collect them by topic, or mark podcasts for deletion upon syncing and make notes on podcasts. These features should be combined with and enabled in a Network File Browser.

More Email Functionality - Simple things like flagging emails for follow up or by category are still missing, auto-categorizing emails based on where they are sent from, and other business class email functionality would be nice. The option to let us download all of the text in our emails off the email client onto the phone permanently would also be a welcome change. Currently, searching through your emails in the iPad is broken and really does not work. If you're looking for a specific email you sent out or received more than a week ago, you have no choice but to use your computer to find it. I still can’t view only unread emails. I still can’t configure a unique email signature for each different email account.

The option to schedule your emails so that they can be sent/delivered at a specific time in the future would be very useful and very welcome. I would love to be able to write up an email at 1 am and schedule it to be sent out at 9AM the next morning. Likewise, I would love to schedule an email to myself to be sent a week from now reminding myself that I need to contact someone at that specific date.

The ability to download themes from the app store. Users who are tired of the stale look of iOS and who want to customize the device with a theme that has been tested for functionality will be happy as will theme makers, and Apple makes some money from the sales.

Additional functionality for iMovie, Aperature and iLife on the iPad - So that you can transport and continue to work on your iLife projects on your iPad while still retaining most if not all of the same functionality that you do on a Mac.

Improved Calender Functionality - Syncing with Google calendars, Yahoo calendars, Facebook, or whatever you want to sync it with. Ability to see each calendar together and separated, to be able to turn on a countdown on certain events and to have a way to text appointments or some other method of sharing things you intend to do with other people. Also, features such as a week view, showing appt names in the month view, ability to copy appts to other dates, a good todo list (Shows blocks of time on a list of days of your schedule), being able to see, in month view, colored dots representing my different calendars so that users don't have to click on a day to see that I have *something* for work or church or any other specific calendar scheduled that day, a landscape week agenda view, tasks, ability to remind you of tasks, and location abilities that if it senses you are near a task/appt it can remind you.

Automatically downclock the iPad during menial tasks and preserve battery life

Ability to use it like a Magic Trackpad or 10/Gui Keyboard device with other apple devices

Allow us to connect our iPad to a PC/TV to function as an external hard drive to store and move content

Letting us rename apps, remove app names entirely, and more customizations to how the UI, home screen, lock screen, dock, slider, icons, dynamic wallpapers etc all look

Multiple Profiles based on gps location (at work vs. home), time, what BT device connected etc.

A Competitor to BlackBerry Enterprise Server Software Suite and the ability to run two iPhone apps next to each other simultanously on the iPad thanks to it's higher resolution display.

A Button to kill all multitasking apps at once to instantly free up RAM. It’s ridiculous that there is no way to close an app without saving its state. The iPad is easily the worst when it comes to clutter in the app manager, and the solution would be all too simple. How about a long-tap on the home button to close an app, fellas?

Let us delete/hide the built in stocks and youtube (and other) apps, so that we can replace youtube app with m.youtube.com web app (looks and works a lot better).

Integrate a way to interact with a printer to print out emails, photos, pdfs and other documents, and integrate a built in business card scanner, bar code scanner . You simply take a photograph of the business card (or bar code) and press add to contact list and it will fill in the contact info. Also, integrate Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) support.

GPS built in, comparable to Andriod phones at least

Smarter OS (ex: if you type an email and can't send it because you're not connected to the internet, instead of the message "Cannot send mail," etc. it should say "Will send message in background once internet connection is reestablished,' better file management and connectivity with the cloud, better autocorrect, faster code execution via the new xCode 4 and other similar functions. And most importantly, stop deleting new contacts I added to my phone and the changes I made to my notes on my phone just because I sync them with Gmail. Likewise, Safari should let us set it to open new tabs in the background. The OS should be smart enough to keep the most recent version of the contacts and notes, not automatically delete all new contacts and replace the notes on the phone with the ones in gmail even though the file on the notes was modified and changed more recently. These issue absolutely need to be fixed before wireless iTunes syncing is implemented or it's going to lead to a lot of frustrated iPad users.

Better Autocorrect + Customizable Dictionary - The iPad has the worst auto-correct system ever devised by man. It doesn’t learn from habits, which means I have to reject the same changes repeatedly, forever. I also can’t add words. And speaking of the address book, I better not have any contacts prefaced with “Mr.” If I do, I need to be prepared to constantly reject an unwanted change every time I type the word “me”.

Better Youtube - Youtube functions very poorly on the iPadThe quality is horrendous and slow, especially over 3G.

Support in the native iPad video player for all the codecs that VLC supports

Additional buttons on the multitasking launch bar and revamped UI to switch between apps that provide a quicker way to shut off bluetooth, wifi, brightness and enable/disable airplane mode. If I want to save some precious battery life and disable wifi when I’m not using it, it takes five taps. Compare that to Android, where disabling wifi takes a single tap on a widget.

Enable natively the other legitimate functionality that people currently jailbreak /unlock their iOS devices and iPads for...
Facetime over 3G/4G and letting us make video calls to non-iOS devices
Custom SMS, MMS, email and other custom alert sounds
Protect or hide apps (for privacy without having to lock my entire phone)
Unlimited Safari Tabs (current limit is eight)

Also, what would you say the odds of seeing a 2000+ X 1500+ resolution screen?

It just sounds like it would be too pricy and a battery hog. I just want the resolution to catch up with or slightly beat the Xoom. So for me, a 1280x960 resolution screen would be fine. This is exactly a 1.25x scale increase over the current resolution. This allows playback of 720p (1280x720) movies downloaded from iTunes without downscaling.

And this is exactly twice the iPhone 4's resolution (640x960) so you could allow people to have two iphone apps open side by side, simultanously, and multitask, with no loss of resolution. People can read email while browsing online etc.

If you use interpolation, current apps will look fantastic when upscaled by 1.25x.

There is a very good article on this topic...

http://blog.yafla.com/Apples_Embarrassing_Predicament/

1920x1440 also works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom