• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

aquarium-age gaf

JVIDICAN

Ha yeah direct sunlight will do it!

I didn't know you had an african cichlid tank - which is what i am looking to set up next.

You got any tips? i live in a soft water area so i'm a bit worried about keeping the PH stable
Lol I'm probably not the best person to ask as most of my experience and knowledge comes from killing them.
I think you'll be fine as long as you add a ph buffer with water changes. Luckily my area has a pretty high pH by default.

From my experiences:
Don't mix most mabuna with peacocks unless you want to see a $10 fish massacre a $50 one. Yellow labs are an exception and are a must. Screw red zebras..

Get cookoo catfish, they look awesome and unless you are trying to breed cichlids are a great tank mate.

Give up on any aspirations of a planted tank. They will destroy everything. Everything.

They like sand better than gravel. Get playground sand and wash the heck out of it if you want to save yourself alot of money.

Caves. Lots of caves.

t-storm

For those with neon tetras, what would you say is the ideal tank temperature for them? I've checked various sources online and they're all over the map. My temp has been 25 degrees celcius and I think that might be too warm for them. They seem more active when it's 2 or 3 degrees cooler.

I have a 5 gallon tank with 6 tetras, one ghost shrimp and one ivory snail.

For those with neon tetras, what would you say is the ideal tank temperature for them? I've checked various sources online and they're all over the map. My temp has been 25 degrees celcius and I think that might be too warm for them. They seem more active when it's 2 or 3 degrees cooler.

I have a 5 gallon tank with 6 tetras, one ghost shrimp and one ivory snail.

I'd upgrade that tank :( 5 gallons is to small for neon tetras.

As for temp I'd keep it between 73f-78f

Lol I'm probably not the best person to ask as most of my experience and knowledge comes from killing them.
I think you'll be fine as long as you add a ph buffer with water changes. Luckily my area has a pretty high pH by default.

From my experiences:
Don't mix most mabuna with peacocks unless you want to see a $10 fish massacre a $50 one. Yellow labs are an exception and are a must. Screw red zebras..

Get cookoo catfish, they look awesome and unless you are trying to breed cichlids are a great tank mate.

Give up on any aspirations of a planted tank. They will destroy everything. Everything.

They like sand better than gravel. Get playground sand and wash the heck out of it if you want to save yourself alot of money.

Caves. Lots of caves.

Listen to this guy, cichlids are cool but are also little demons from hell. Cool demons from hell. Prepare to be a water changing god

Gave up on planted tank :( Anyone have reef tips? I have a 40 gallon reef thats been established for ~ 6 months.

So far I do weekly 5 gallon water changes.

Clean my powerheads monthly

Use Red Sea Coral Pro salt

Wasted money on buy 2 $15 corals get 1 free and regret it. Get quality over quantity guys. :( Shitty brown zoanthids

Top Bottom