• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archie's Sonic Comics officially cancelled

Sciz

What an absolute jerk this guy is.

I guarantee one of the first things the creative team does once they get settled is to pore over the entire Archie run and draw up a list of every single one of its ideas so they know exactly what to stay the fuck away from, because this desperate motherfucker is just itching to get another lawsuit going.

Ken Penders‏ @KenPenders 2h2 hours ago

Before I get asked this a zillion times, neither @SEGA or @IDWPublishing can use any stories, characters &/or concepts of pre-2005 creators.

I'm quite sure a reasonable licensing deal for all can be worked out, but @IDWPublishing getting free use? No way.

What an absolute jerk this guy is.

pdb7tzz.gif

It's probably ok to say that I got to help Jonathan "WB" Gray rewrite issue 144's "Love and Loss". The original script was a trash fire, so Jon drew it up, then begged them for a chance to fix it. I helped him with the rewrite, and he redrew the final page, which was originally Sally breaking the fourth wall and talking directly to the reader. He shipped it off, and it sat on Archie's doorstep... as a hurricane hit. There wasn't any time to redo it, so they edited the last page as best they could, reworked the dialogue to fit it better, and that's what printed. Not quite what was intended, but still a step up. My version was too wordy anyway.

That "I love my people more" is purely my cheese. And I'm proud.

As an aside, it was always a bummer how much little detail Jon would put into his panels, only for his inker(s) to go "...Screw that." and simplify or leave things out. He hand-drew every little heart bordering the Love and Loss panels, but when it came time to ink and color, they replaced it all with a generic floodfill pattern. Practical, yes, but a shame.

By chance, were you a poster in the The Sonic Foundation or Sonic HQ forums? I used to post there, under this user name.

WB used to also publish comics for Toon Zone, but last I checked, they're long gone.

And like a phoenix, he has risen

IDW will now publish Sonic comics

https://twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/888536084472352770

Nice! Hopefully things can continue like nothing happened.

FyreWulff

so when is Penders gonna realize Sega isn't going to let him publish anything with the old comic and IDW its gonna be like "i'm good" about not wanting 50 knuckles OCs

G0523

By chance, were you a poster in the The Sonic Foundation or Sonic HQ forums? I used to post there, under this user name.

WB used to also publish comics for Toon Zone, but last I checked, they're long gone.

Nice! Hopefully things can continue like nothing happened.
OMG a fellow former TSF member! That takes me back to when I was in middle school. I wonder whatever happened to Kedzie.

Does IDW have to pay Penders to reprint the old stuff or does that just apply to new stories?

Presumably for reprints, too. Once Penders started making a lot of noise, Archie started steering clear of his stories in their Sonic Archives series as I recall. Then they stopped doing them altogether after long enough.

OMG a fellow former TSF member! That takes me back to when I was in middle school. I wonder whatever happened to Kedzie.

I think I recognize your name. Nice to see you!

I remember that he managed the site less and less, until he eventually just made WB an admin. That was more than a decade ago, so who knows now? Well, maybe WB does.

It's a shame the site isn't online anymore. What I wouldn't give to reread the Sonic World Tournament threads (where people wrote tournament fights between Sonic characters), Station Square (script-format sitcom with Sonic characters), or my old RP, The Crystal Expedition (non-Sonic RP).

G0523

I think I recognize your name. Nice to see you!

I remember that he managed the site less and less, until he eventually just made WB an admin. That was more than a decade ago, so who knows now? Well, maybe WB does.

It's a shame the site isn't online anymore. What I wouldn't give to reread the Sonic World Tournament threads (where people wrote tournament fights between Sonic characters), Station Square (script-format sitcom with Sonic characters), or my old RP, The Crystal Expedition (non-Sonic RP).

Right?! I know the forums were around for the longest time but I do wish we got like an end date or something.

Countdown until Penders sues for them using "my Knuckles with a beard, just without the beard".

That's cool that you got to contribute, even if only some of your work came out in the final version.

Mind if I ask how you got into contact? I've always felt that at least as comics go, if you have the opportunity to contribute to an official publication, it could open up doors for you in that industry.

It was nothing that serious, WB and I used to talk a bit, primarily on AIM, before he even worked for the comic. It wasn't really an official "thing".

Eh, very rarely. I honestly stepped away from most of the organized Sonic fandom after it went through a weird bitter phase, and I'm kind of fuzzy on stuff from back then.

Top Bottom