• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are ips monitors still suffering heavy from ips glow?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Hello Gaf,

I had a Acer monitor some years back I was happy with. Ips monitor, insane sharp colors, fast Hz, and it had no really visible ips glow as I recall.

However it had other issues where I ended up getting my money back.

I aimed for the Dell sdgf2721 monitor instead, which has super specs.

However, it has some serious ips glow. I know, could be a bad unit. But I've been through alot of them, and had one that actually had almost none but instead had a dead pixel.

These are not mine, but it sums up the typical I get from these.

large

No matter the angle, it's clearly visible in game as well.

Also has some very dark reddish corners.

Is ips glow just as bad as on this, or is it a bad production?

jigglet

Banned
It's like oled, it's purely subjective.

If you like the tech a lot, it's barely noticeable.

If you don't like the tech, it's a problem.

If you're objective, well fuck off m8.

(serious answer: I don't think it's technically possible at this time to mass produce these and ensure 100% perfection, this was based on my research from about 2 years ago anyway....it's still a lottery)

the answers you're going to get:

"mine is perfect, based on a sample size of 1"

Last edited:

mrcroket

Yeah it is still a problem, it can "fixed" on almost all models though, but it involves modifying or even breaking the screen frame a bit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm using an IPS monitor right now and the glow is nowhere near as bad as that. There will always be a little backlight bleed/glow, that comes with the technology. If you don't want it then you'll need to go OLED.
A normal IPS monitor won't be nearly as bad as that though and you won't notice it during normal usage.

Top Bottom