• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are some gamers/geeks susceptible to be recruited by far-right ideology?

Kebiinu

Banned
image.php

On topic....necessary to those who choose to inject the everyday craziness of life into their games, as opposed to using gaming as a hobby to escape the stresses and sometimes stupidity of life.

Lol you quoting my avi did what, exactly? What a weirdo.

Sorry gaming doesn't let you escape into your bubble anymore. Even though the ignorance is there, if you look for it.

Indecisive

Neo Member
NeoGAF is not the norm. This is fairly evident on visiting almost any other large gaming community on the internet. Further, NeoGAF still has portions of users that follow GG and other far right movements, they just know not to be asshats.

Yeah, I mostly communicate with gamers here and on my college campus in California, so I know it's a very skewed demographic.

But it's kind of wearing me down when all these people whose political ideologies I support are being so militant and unwelcoming, all while calling the right hateful. So far most of what I've seen is college kids screaming at others and calling them Nazis and bigots just because they found out who they voted for.

It also wouldn't bother me so much except that now politics are so ingrained into everything else you can't escape it. I know I'm contributing to it, but I really don't think this thread for instance has anything to do with video games. Seems like a thin veil to let people vent about politics on their favorite non-politics related board.

redcrayon

It also wouldn't bother me so much except that now politics are so ingrained into everything else you can't escape it. I know I'm contributing to it, but I really don't think this thread for instance has anything to do with video games. Seems like a thin veil to let people vent about politics on their favorite non-politics related board.
To be fair, it's hardly unreasonable to see threads about games culture on a games forum, and the blatant association between various gamergate-related topics and the alt-right makes it fair game here. Politics only seems more ingrained now because stuff that both the gaming industry and its customers were happy to let slide 20 years ago with a market of young boys no longer works when that market is now grown-up, diverse customers of a huge media industry. Some of that grown-up (and younger) audience would like it to stay a walled garden. That's what makes a dozen different topics surrounding games and politics and violence and diversity and sexuality and racism and censorship and online abuse suddenly seem like politics is now ingrained in gaming discussion. It's more that gaming has a number of different issues (that can be related to politics) to address if it wants to mature as a medium, and I imagine discussing at least one of those appeals to a good chunk of the posters here no matter their stance on it.

Personally I've found discussing stuff related to games on here enlightening at times due to the global nature of the board as well as the mix of industry professionals and age range etc. If a thread doesn't belong on neogaf, it'll get locked soon enough.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It's especially weird considering that if you believe the stereotypical data that kids who gravitated towards videos games were usually social pariahs, often victims of bullying, that they would know more than anyone how shitty it feels to be on the receiving end of such abuse.

It's especially weird considering that if you believe the stereotypical data that kids who gravitated towards videos games were usually social pariahs, often victims of bullying, that they would know more than anyone how shitty it feels to be on the receiving end of such abuse.

That requires empathy

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I suspect that someone who gets harassed all their school going life is probably the least likely person to be willing to listen to people telling them they are privileged. Better to repackage that notion into an experience in common. Empathy tends to be better fostered with common ground.

Top Bottom