• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you happy with GAF's current pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, spoken like a guy that don't know what they're talking about.

1. The moderation is less strict, I know because I am on that website and is more transparent as well.
2. It is not "just the same ol' vocal folk" either, there are plenty of people who have not registered on GAF on there.

That's subjective. I'm sure you and most people on resetera thought the old GAF was about as perfect of an internet community as you can get, so of course you're not gonna think the moderation is strict. Just because they leave little messages after a ban doesn't make them any more transparent.

Cliffyb was banned a while back for some stupid shit. The ban was lifted and he was told he could come back but Cliffy basically gave GAF the middle finger and swore to never come back.

I'm talking about resetera, not gaf. Should have made that clearer.

Drain You

That's subjective. I'm sure you and most people on resetera thought the old GAF was about as perfect of an internet community as you can get, so of course you're not gonna think the moderation is strict. Just because they leave little messages after a ban doesn't make them any more transparent.

I mean doesn't that make them more transparent by definition?

trans·par·ent
-easy to perceive or detect.

On Gaf when someone got banned, most of the time I could guess as to why they got banned, but on ResetEra since it is publicity stated for all to see, it is more transparent.

I mean doesn't that make them more transparent by definition?

trans·par·ent
-easy to perceive or detect.

On Gaf when someone got banned, most of the time I could guess as to why they got banned, but on ResetEra since it is publicity stated for all to see, it is more transparent.

In the sense that all they have to write on the ban message is "banned for being a gator nazi scumbag" or something about gender discrimination and no one will question it.

Drain You

In the sense that all they have to write on the ban message is "banned for being a gator nazi scumbag" or something about gender discrimination and no one will question it.

You are hilarious.

First off, I've yet to see anything remotely like that. If you have I'd love for you to point me in that direction.

Second I'm glad you agree it is more transparent, it's just that you don't like the reasoning. That's what you're saying, yes?

You are hilarious.

First off, I've yet to see anything remotely like that. If you have I'd love for you to point me in that direction.

Second I'm glad you agree it is more transparent, it's just that you don't like the reasoning. That's what you're saying, yes?

No, I'm saying that the mods will still ban people they disagree with, just like they did on GAF. Just because the ban message is public doesn't make any difference. Morrigan has been running amok if you want examples, but I'm sure you have no problem with her behavior so it's pointless to even point it out.

Drain You

No, I'm saying that the mods will still ban people they disagree with, just like they did on GAF. Just because the ban message is public doesn't make any difference. Morrigan has been running amok if you want examples, but I'm sure you have no problem with her behavior so it's pointless to even point it out.

But it does make a difference when the point you are trying to argue is transparency, which is what you are/where doing.

Edit: For the fuck of it I decided to look up Morrigan. Not really seeing much. Not worth my time to continue digging. On that note, I'm out. Have a good day. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

David___

Banned

You do know that every mod, except for one, wasn't a mod on Gaf, yes?

You could always link to a ban that was inappropriate. I haven't seen any yet.

So strange that someone who isn't on the other site has such strong opinions about the moderation.

Dre

Most of the outrage-addicted idiots left and went to the other site. I admit though, it was fun going through their post history and watching them jump from thread to thread getting outraged at something new. Pathetic individuals leading pathetic sad little lives. Now just doing it on a different platform. Hell, they even modded one of those dopes (Morrigan).

Y'all seem to have a very strong opinion about Morrigan.
Do any if you mind being more specific? Or are you just generalizing Era's whole staff because you bear a personal grudge against her?

Breads

Banned
The first time I have heard about neogaf, was when some insider was leaking information on upcoming xbox. While mods certainly are shaping up content, it wasn't their contribution that I was after, in fact, it didn't matter at all.
Mods aren't the only ones that left. Devs/leakers/journalists did too.

But... the Era mods weren't even mods on Gaf...

jackie-chan-wut.jpg

Blam

I don't recall this. What happened?

Just check these twitter posts.

https://twitter.com/blamy_/status/925905662130958336
https://twitter.com/blamy_/status/925905885825773568
https://twitter.com/blamy_/status/925906117691133952

I did mention more in the discord on the first tweet.

That would be Blam up thread. Already been debunked by a poster here. He was actually banned for leaking code.

And here goes the hivemind of me leaking shit. I literally didn't fucking do it. I am actually trying to get into contact with the owner of 8chan just to prove my point of not leaking anything. God you people believe literally anything don't you. Read facts before you listen to the gospel.

Debunked? What? With what proof?

Tigress

How about this? I was fine with GAF mods overall and I'm fine with ResetEra and I like that the mods are strict (That's what I liked about GAF honestly). It kept a lot of shit off and people tended to try to be more intelligent with their arguments (less shit like xbot and sony pony crap and less shit like, "quit asking for more female representation!"). There is dog piling in every forum (There's always a "popular" group that if you go against you are going to get a lot of posts disagreeing with you, that's just the fact of life if you go somewhere where your opinion may not be the same as most people), but in most other gaming forums you'd get dog piled for asking for more representation in games or daring say you might want a female character in GTA. Or you'd get a lot of just stupid name calling (Sony Pony! Xbot) without actual intelligent discussion on the companies' strategies and what might work or what might not. At least on GAF when people argued against it they gave more logical reasoning (though sometimes still transparent of, "Quit asking for females in our games.").

I agree that mods tended to be overly strict on their bans here but I'll say I prefer it to the alternative of most other gaming forums that were too lax. I thought those forums were a lot more hostile honestly (There's a reason I started just mostly staying on GAF for my gaming news). And at least here the hostility had good intentions (Though I do think people tended to go overboard sometimes even when I agreed with them).

And honestly, no one likes being banned and I find people tend to have distorted views of "I didn't deserve it" when banned (some people can admit it. Many people totally don't see why... if they did they probably wouldn't have done the thing that got them banned ;) ). In fact it's already been pointed out a few times in this thread where that has happened (they only tell you a little of why they are banned and some one points out the context and suddenly it makes more sense).

I used to mod a motorcycle forum that did not have near as strict moderation as here and honestly, the owner finally admitted we should have done more as it got very hostile to certain groups.. he originally wanted to allow freedom of speech for everyone but it was really hostile towards you if you were gay for example... to the point I even saw some one admit he would like to see gays killed. And I met one guy on there that we rp'ed a few times (he also liked rping) who said he left cause it was too hostile (he was gay).

So... I can see how crappy a forum and hostile it can get if you don't mod it strictly. I'd rather a forum be hostile to people not wanting to be tolerant than allow it to get hostile to another group just cause they happen to be gay/female/black. And there is a loud contingent of gamers that don't want to be open to females/non-whites/gay (who can be disingenious with their arguments on top of it) so I do think you need to keep a check on it if you want to keep a gaming forum open to a diverse crowd. I'm glad the motorcycle forum owner finally saw that allowing too much "freedom of speech" created a hostile environment for some people (he really did want it to be an open place for all local motorycyclists) and I do think he had good intentions with not wanting to mod speech. But he saw in the effects of his own forum what happens if you are too lax about allowing some stuff (he was losing members of his forum because of it and being left with mostly the assholes).

Just check these twitter posts.

https://twitter.com/blamy_/status/925905662130958336
https://twitter.com/blamy_/status/925905885825773568
https://twitter.com/blamy_/status/925906117691133952

I did mention more in the discord on the first tweet.

And here goes the hivemind of me leaking shit. I literally didn't fucking do it. I am actually trying to get into contact with the owner of 8chan just to prove my point of not leaking anything. God you people believe literally anything don't you. Read facts before you listen to the gospel.

Debunked? What? With what proof?

this is wild

Lois_Lane

I didn't deserve a 3 week ban - maybe a PM explaining where I was dumb or whatever. But my overall comment was that I don't care but I don't prefer it and since it out of the norm I can understand the criticism also I don't understand the utter hate and rape comments either. But no fuckin ban because I made a comment that it doesn't work for me. To me it's akin to banning someone because they are gay - they like certain things and voicing that gets you a ban. I can't help the fact I don't like it as much as a gay person can't change what they like. I never shit on it or disrespected the person just explained my position on it.

Someone is being threatened with rape and you felt the need to waltz in and share your opinion on beauty standards? Was that really the most appropriate place to share that opinion? The most appropriate time? Do you walk into a funeral and complain about how the coffin industry is just one big scam? Do you go to someone who's just been fat shame about how they don't deserve the abuse but you never date someone who looks like them? Time and place, man. You deserved the ban.

Also you should be banned for comparing someone being persecuted for their gayness with losing posting privileges on a forum. Get help.

llien

How about this? I was fine with GAF mods overall and I'm fine with ResetEra and I like that the mods are strict (That's what I liked about GAF honestly). It kept a lot of shit off and people tended to try to be more intelligent with their arguments (less shit like xbot and sony pony crap and less shit like, "quit asking for more female representation!"). There is dog piling in every forum (There's always a "popular" group that if you go against you are going to get a lot of posts disagreeing with you, that's just the fact of life if you go somewhere where your opinion may not be the same as most people), but in most other gaming forums you'd get dog piled for asking for more representation in games or daring say you might want a female character in GTA. Or you'd get a lot of just stupid name calling (Sony Pony! Xbot) without actual intelligent discussion on the companies' strategies and what might work or what might not. At least on GAF when people argued against it they gave more logical reasoning (though sometimes still transparent of, "Quit asking for females in our games.").

I find the first part of your post is very curious (sorry for skipping the rest).
You talk about agreeing or disagreeing and how your POV is often unpopular on other forums.
So, neogaf felt safer, because admins fended off groups which normally disagree with you.

While understandable, I don't think it's right as there is nothing wrong with disagreeing. Mods should ensure that it is done in a civilized manner and supported with arguments, but it's not their business to shape up what the mainstream point of view is, by banning those who disagree.

Lois_Lane

I find the first part of your post is very curious (sorry for skipping the rest).
You talk about agreeing or disagreeing and how your POV is often unpopular on other forums.
So, neogaf felt safer, because admins fended off groups which normally disagree with you.

While understandable, I don't think it's right as there is nothing wrong with disagreeing. Mods should ensure that it is done in a civilized manner and supported with arguments, but it's not their business to shape up what the mainstream point of view is, by banning those who disagree.

You completely misread their post. They were saying that this forum safe for minority groups to congregate not that she had issues with agreeing or disagreeing. If the idea we should kill people, which is still a fucking crime regardless your minority status, is a simple disagreement to you then I don't know what to say.

llien

You completely misread their post.
Oh, did I.

They were saying that this forum safe for minority groups to congregate not that she had issues with agreeing or disagreeing. If the idea we should kill people, which is still a fucking crime regardless your minority status, is a simple disagreement to you then I don't know what to say.
May I ask where did this marked bold nonsense come from?

Paterson

Banned
Y'all seem to have a very strong opinion about Morrigan.
Do any if you mind being more specific? Or are you just generalizing Era's whole staff because you bear a personal grudge against her?

Who you choose to be a mod says everything about the site. Modding a dumbshit like Morrigan immediately tells people that Resetera is going to be a joke.

But it does make a difference when the point you are trying to argue is transparency, which is what you are/where doing.

Edit: For the fuck of it I decided to look up Morrigan. Not really seeing much. Not worth my time to continue digging. On that note, I'm out. Have a good day. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

You do know that every mod, except for one, wasn't a mod on Gaf, yes?

Dyack isn't banned though?

Lmao, literally everything Soleil Rouge has said turns out false. No offense Soleil but that's kind of hilarious.

Dre

Who you choose to be a mod says everything about the site. Modding a dumbshit like Morrigan immediately tells people that Resetera is going to be a joke.

Like I acknowledged in my previous post I get it that you hate her, but could you be more specific? I must admit that I am not familiar with her at all, so any examples of her being a "dumbshit" would be appreciated.

Tigress

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing to a point. But when you constantly have your userbase tell you how no they shouldn't represent you and just deal with it and gaming is for guys and you are just the exception, it gets hostile (Stay out of our games damnit. Don't ask for games to cater to you at all). I much prefer a forum that tries to at least moderate that and keep that kind of talk down (I mean you still got it in GAF but people had to at least be more civil about it and you got people who would speak against it so you didn't feel alone). Or for example in my motorcycle forum, the constant talk about how being gay was wrong/bad/evil to the point of even allowing some one to say that yes he thinks gays should die. Yes, he's expressing his opinion but you don't think allowing that isn't allowing the forum to be hostile towards gay people?

As I said at the end, I prefer the forum be hostile towards the intolerant with stricter moderation and even dogpiling than allow the forum to be hostile to a group simply for also wanting to enjoy games and have some of the games cater to more than just one group. In the end, forums tend to attract certain crowds so you are going to get them to be "hostile" towards a certain group they in general disagree with. I've never met a forum/newsgroup where there weren't topics that would get you a lot of at best disagreeing posts (which don't even have to be hostile but when you have a lot of people expressing it against you and few backing you up it still feels hostile). Try bringing up declawing in a cat forum ;). Or saying the driver was right in a motorcycle forum (least the one I was on was heavily biased towards always siding with the motorcyclist... it was something I disagreed with them on).

There are plenty of forums where you can express how you don't care about developers having more representation and how you're annoyed that they're forcing that shit in your games. There are very very few forums where you can actually express you want that (it's why I hung out on GAF mostly). And honestly I appreciate the mods would usually shut that kind of talk down (if you aren't interested then don't go into the topic. But don't come in and express how you don't like some one even talking about how it should have more... that's hostile in its own right. Also kinda like the guy complaining he got banned for saying he didn't like hairy legs... out of context yeah that sounds unreasonable. But apparently he did so in a thread where people were discussing how some one got death threats for not wanting to shave her legs. What was the point in saying you don't like unshaved legs in a thread like that? To say the people giving death threats were right or at least had reason to be upset? That's really the only relevancy to say something like that in that thread so, yes, I could see how that could be seen as hostile towards women or at best bringing something entirely irrelevant to the discussion. He probably should have just gotten warned and told to stay relevant to the topic to give him the benefit of a doubt but as I said, I do agree they went overboard with their punishments here. To be honest I just assumed that it was cause the forum was so busy they didn't have time to coddle the user base with warnings to teach them to behave better... instead it was figure it out or get banned).

OCD Guy

How about this? I was fine with GAF mods overall and I'm fine with ResetEra and I like that the mods are strict (That's what I liked about GAF honestly). It kept a lot of shit off and people tended to try to be more intelligent with their arguments (less shit like xbot and sony pony crap and less shit like, ).

I see this mentioned a lot, and I just didn't see it.

This forum was never strict, people could swear at each other and they'd get away with talking to people like dirt.

The only time someone was banned was generally if they posted an opinion that was perceived to go against the grain, or really shit posted.

And the shit posts had to be really bad to get banned.

If anything the biggest issue with moderation was the inconsistency, some people would say things that if someone else had said would result in a ban. It was literally one rule for one, and a different rule for another at times.

Perhaps people equate strictness with the lack of warnings, which did happen. Some mods out the blue would just dish out a ban....

Yeah, spoken like a guy that don't know what they're talking about.

2. It is not "just the same ol' vocal folk" either, there are plenty of people who have not registered on GAF on there.

You mean the folk who were banned here in the last decade or so for terrible or viable reasons. "Not registered on GAF" is quite inaccurate.

OCD Guy

You're right. All 30k members are Gaffers or banned Gaffers. *eyeroll

Shit, if Era managed to steal 15% of this site's most active members, this place is truly fucked.

The reality is 99% of the most active posters, thread creators etc from this forum are all on ERA.

They're not a large percentage of the total registered users on here but that doesn't matter. They're the people who would post every single day on Gaf and probably post 50 times a day at least. 20,000 members like that is going to be more active than 100,000 members who consist of mainly lurkers, banned and inactive users.

It was the same people who would do the threads each time, the official topics, or latest gaming news, and they're all gone. Just look at some of the familiar names and how many posts they have already on Era lol.

This forum activity is on life support here unfortunately, so many threads still on one page, whereas before even the most random thread would fill up to 5 pages. Now you could make a thread relating to big news and you'd struggle to break 2 pages. Infact before on the first page of any forum e.g Off-topic, Gaming etc every thread would have had replies within 5 minutes, on the first page of Off-topic there are threads that haven't been posted in since yesterday, normally that thread would have been buried far from the first page.

The only type of thread that would likely pick up traffic now is one discussing how bad Gaf is, Evilore, or someone asking to be banned...

edit: it get's even worse, just looked in the gaming community front page and there's threads on there that have not been posted on for 3 days, on the first page....

Lmao, literally everything Soleil Rouge has said turns out false. No offense Soleil but that's kind of hilarious.

hEf4OG

https://ibb.co/hEf4OG

Lois_Lane

Oh, did I.

May I ask where did this marked bold nonsense come from?

Did you not see the part where they specifically mentioned the part where there gay friend stopped coming to their motorcycle forum because ideas like "kill all gays" were allowed to go unchallenged? How did you managed to read their entire post and just sum it down to just "disagreements?"

Sure it is. They're a member here. They can use the damn search button. Why would I pollute my eyes and brain by reading Morrigan's streams of bullshit again.
You've never had to defend your opinions before, eh?

Make a claim, back up a claim.

And soleil bringing up a gater as an inappropriate ban speaks volumes.

David___

Banned
Sure it is. They're a member here. They can use the damn search button. Why would I pollute my eyes and brain by reading Morrigan's streams of bullshit again.

I've been doing research papers wrong my entire life then.

"I dont need to explain/defend anything, you have google, look for it."

llien

I'll comment tomorrow, too sleepy for that today.

Did you not see the part where they specifically mentioned the part where there gay friend stopped coming to their motorcycle forum because ideas like "kill all gays" were allowed to go unchallenged? How did you managed to read their entire post and just sum it down to just "disagreements?"

"kill all gays" falls under "done in a civilized manner and supported with arguments", seriously?
Could you keep that nonsense to yourself please, and just ignore my posts?

Nipo

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Lois_Lane

I'll comment tomorrow, too sleepy for that today.

"kill all gays" falls under "done in a civilized manner and supported with arguments", seriously?
Could you keep that nonsense to yourself please, and just ignore my posts?

1. If you don't like what I say then you are free to ignore my posts.
2. Where do you exactly think the thought process that all gays are evil leads to? What has humanity done to anything they believe is "evil".

1. The moderation is less strict, I know because I am on that website and is more transparent as well.

Maybe you could comment on those two points in context of certain forum banning any thread about Colin Moriarty to not give him a platform ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom