• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved |OT| Early Access to the Land Before Time

Temoted. Does this have the rust/H1Z1 jank? Is movement/combat fun? Those other two games are a pain in those aspects.
I just got a refund for Reign of Kings that I bought cause a bunch of streamers were enjoying it that gsme was absolutely terrible.

JambiBum

Temoted. Does this have the rust/H1Z1 jank? Is movement/combat fun? Those other two games are a pain in those aspects.
I just got a refund for Reign of Kings that I bought cause a bunch of streamers were enjoying it that gsme was absolutely terrible.

There's no jank as far as movement/combat goes. There's hardly any jank at all really besides a few terrain bugs when you are on mountains. Combat is pretty fun as well. The game controls well in pretty much every aspect (except dinos can't move backwards for whatever reason). Again the only real issue right now is the optimization stuff. If you can deal with 20-30 fps with occasional dips then by all means pick it up. If not then wait.

There's no jank as far as movement/combat goes. There's hardly any jank at all really besides a few terrain bugs when you are on mountains. Combat is pretty fun as well. The game controls well in pretty much every aspect (except dinos can't move backwards for whatever reason). Again the only real issue right now is the optimization stuff. If you can deal with 20-30 fps with occasional dips then by all means pick it up. If not then wait.

Well I got 20-30 in Rust and H1Z1 so I would probably get less here I'm guessing.

650 TI Boost 2 gigs
I5-3570k
16 gigs ram.

JambiBum

Well I got 20-30 in Rust and H1Z1 so I would probably get less here I'm guessing.

650 TI Boost 2 gigs
I5-3570k
16 gigs ram.

You have a good cpu and a good amount of ram so you should probably get the same with settings on medium. It seems to be mostly cpu based right now until they optimize it more.

abracadaver

More than 50 000 concurrent players:

arki1svd.jpg

The melee combat is average.

To put that in context, in my opinion there are no first person games with good melee combat, the average is terrible. And the best in category (Chivalry) is merely satisfactory.

You have a good cpu and a good amount of ram so you should probably get the same with settings on medium. It seems to be mostly cpu based right now until they optimize it more.

Alright thanks.
The melee combat is average.

To put that in context, in my opinion there are no first person games with good melee combat, the average is terrible. And the best in category (Chivalry) is merely satisfactory.

Well I expect that much I just want it to actually work as intended. In H1Z1 every melee fight is a spam fest and in Rust it's a blind joust because there is no player collision at all.

Well I expect that much I just want it to actually work as intended. In H1Z1 every melee fight is a spam fest and in Rust it's a blind joust because there is no player collision at all.

There is Player collision but you're in for more spam. The only combat actions are Swing Wildly and Circle strafe, or run away

*note Attacking depletes Stamina so decide quickly what you intend to do.

Just the new "in" survival game. I'll wait til it's more fleshed out.

This game has infinitely more content already than most others.

There are areas of the map that havent even been seen by people yet, as well as creatures not seen and items not discovered.

Just finished a nice long session on a reasonably friendly server. Managed to build myself a nice large hut on top of a hill far out from everyone else. Water nearby with a river full of easy fish. Large herbivores to take out the few small carnivores around.

Pretty much an ideal spot to set up base all around. A few more levels and I'll be building a cabin and perimeter wall. Though I should probably work on getting some dinosaurs to help guard my base.

Pity the framerate seems worse since last night's update.

JambiBum

ok bought

I'm weak

That's the thing, all of those other survival games don't hold a candle to how much content this game already has and it's been out for less than a week. It's insane. Honestly I'd be perfectly happy with the content the game has now even in a full release for a survival game. Once they hopefully fix the optimization issues this game will be great.

hepburn3d

Ok this game is dangerous. Was supposed to go out today. Nope 12 hours straight on this now. haven't figured out how to long onto your servers though I'm guessing NA ping will be too high. Made a tribe with a friendly stranger from Belgium. Built ourselves a fort with a perimeter fence for our small farm only dinos 😊

This game plays great as a co-op. I focused on building, my wife on irrigation and the stranger on weapons. Let us get a lot further quicker. We didn't even leave the spawn area.

I'm certain all my progress will get lost. Got a headache now. Need some water. Throughly recommend making some dyes. Is awesome colouring up your base, flags and weapons so you feel like a proper clan. Also recommend placing a red and white checker flag on high points for markers. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Really helped us out.

Are plants pots worth it? Must have picked up about 50 poos today keeping our plants manured. Was a pain setting up the irrigation. Feel weird asking everyone to pick there poo up and give it to me. Never been so excited to see a dodo defecate 😐

Ok bed now. Been a weird day.

Woo-Fu

Banned
And no it isn't automatically better because dinosaurs
It is automatically better because it has tamable wildlife that can be used for transport, hunting, farming, etc. :)

What I'm noticing after 45+ hours on an official server is that the higher level you get the less PvP there is simply because there is so much more at risk. In Dayz and H1Z1 you can loot practically everything. In ARK you have to craft it, you have to tame it, you have to level it. Nobody wants to lose their pets or the crafted gear it took them ages to gather materials for. When you logout your body is still there, meaning you're always vulnerable to attack unless you've come up with impenetrable defenses---which may not be entirely possible. Players in it for the long term seem to realize that they don't want to make any enemies that might make it their mission to kill them, their dinos, and take all their loot when they're offline. I've already seen people switch servers due to vendettas they can't avoid/escape.

Most of the PvP I saw today involved people in their underwear with tier 1 or tier 2 weapons.

Long story short there is already more to do in ARK the first week than most of the other early access survival games ever manage, and there is a lot less of the Kill On Sight mentality.

Watched a lot of streams etc and i really cant wait to play this on PS4.

But i hope that they add some kind of PvE stuff etc.

I hate this PvP Survival games. I want something to enjoy with my friends. Not getting killed because of some immature kids etc.

I hate this PvP Survival games. I want something to enjoy with my friends. Not getting killed because of some immature kids etc.

You're just gonna have to Play on PC on a Password protected server you rent with your friends.

There is PVE stuff
The large floating obelisks float above Boss summoning altars

Xyber

Well there's already PvE servers where you can't kill others and just focus on your own progression, so you're good on that front.

charsace

You can't do everything in the game so you need other players.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

On PC, people can set PVE mode on the server when when hosting, then people can't attack each other.

It has a standalone single player mode as well.

Dang as soon as my refund goes through for Reign of Kings I'll be buying this. Such a sucker for this genre and always hope they new one does it better than the last.

It finally activated while I was doing other things and threw me in. I'm now wandering aimlessly trying to find flint. What settings should be tuned down a bit for frames? I set it to epic as I have a 980ti which is close to a titan x which they recommend for it and the framerate is in the 20s.

Looks pretty nice at times though.

charsace

It finally activated while I was doing other things and threw me in. I'm now wandering aimlessly trying to find flint. What settings should be tuned down a bit for frames? I set it to epic as I have a 980ti which is close to a titan x which they recommend for it and the framerate is in the 20s.

Looks pretty nice at times though.

You found my old spot which means you are in the wrong place. GAF guys are to the west. Where in the west I don't know. Game isn't optimized yet so you should turn of whatever you can to get a frame rate that is playable for you.

I made a little hut around west, got myself to level 11, gonna try to level up a bit more before taming.

are you guys on a tribe or are you going solo?

_woLf

Do you starve while logged out???? I was in a locked room that took no damage but I logged in and I was dead.

Woo-Fu

Banned
No your hunger and water do not drop while logged.

I don't find that to be true. I'm dehydrated and all my waterskins are empty whenever I login after being offline for 4+ hours.

As far as being safe while logged out you need to be in a completely enclosed room that doesn't have any surfaces on the outside of your base. Put your "safe" room up on at least the 2nd floor of 3 or more and put it in the middle of at least a 3x3 floor. Basically if you think of it as a cube you want the 6 cubes that share faces with it to also be inside your base.

I sleep on the 4th floor of a 5 floor base and I break the ladders/ramps behind me when I climb up for the night and replace them when I log back in. If you're up that high and there are no ladders/ramps they can't build any themselves so if they want to get you they have to come in through the roof with flying mounts or break every bit of supporting structure beneath you to collapse your safe room.

Also you don't want anything on the first 2 floors inside your base against the outside walls. People can see that stuff by fiddling with camera views. If your refinery is against an outside wall you'll come home one day to find just the wall it is next to broken and any metal you had in it gone.

Lastly the best defense is a large tribe. The more people you have around your base the less chance a cat burglar/assassin can get in undetected. Raptors set to aggressive in an external courtyard around the base seems popular too but those aren't really that hard to deal with. I think there will be a lot more theft than PvP in the days to come.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I can't deal with the voice chat in this game. Waaaay too creepy and 4th wall breaking. I just had this squeaky voiced kid come up to me and he was talking at me in this weird faux-alpha cop-talk, interrogating me about why I was on his land and how he was going to sic his raptor on me if I didn't give him a good explanation.

I don't think I've ever noped out of a game faster.

Game seems like it has a ton of potential but dear god the optimization is almost non-existent. Running on an i7 and a HD7950 and I'm getting like 20 fps unless i drop the object resolution like mad. I'll probably refund this and grab it again once they have the game running better.

Mirk

I don't find that to be true. I'm dehydrated and all my waterskins are empty whenever I login after being offline for 4+ hours.

As far as being safe while logged out you need to be in a completely enclosed room that doesn't have any surfaces on the outside of your base. Put your "safe" room up on at least the 2nd floor of 3 or more and put it in the middle of at least a 3x3 floor. Basically if you think of it as a cube you want the 6 cubes that share faces with it to also be inside your base.

I sleep on the 4th floor of a 5 floor base and I break the ladders/ramps behind me when I climb up for the night and replace them when I log back in. If you're up that high and there are no ladders/ramps they can't build any themselves so if they want to get you they have to come in through the roof with flying mounts or break every bit of supporting structure beneath you to collapse your safe room.

Also you don't want anything on the first 2 floors inside your base against the outside walls. People can see that stuff by fiddling with camera views. If your refinery is against an outside wall you'll come home one day to find just the wall it is next to broken and any metal you had in it gone.

Lastly the best defense is a large tribe. The more people you have around your base the less chance a cat burglar/assassin can get in undetected. Raptors set to aggressive in an external courtyard around the base seems popular too but those aren't really that hard to deal with. I think there will be a lot more theft than PvP in the days to come.

I was out for 8 hour and my water and hunger were fine. But yes your skins will run dry because they do leak and food will spoil on you.

Sevenfold

I was out for 8 hour and my water and hunger were fine. But yes your skins will run dry because they do leak and food will spoil on you.

Then your spoiled food will spoil on you!
Not touch MP but had great fun in SP. Taken over a finger of land on the very southern tip of the map. Built a house on a hill and levelled everythng but three nice trees so I can call it Three Oaks. Been cautiously getting to know the wildlife, and venturing a bit further away each day, and building, lots of building. As soon as I unlocked that wooden ramp, shit got real.
The problem is that returning to a single player game really kills frames, like 10fps. Unplayable. Deleting the files in one of the folders sorts out performance but deletes progress, so I'm stuck waiting for devs...
The game has so much potential and having played DayZ and H1Z1 (both of which I enjoy) this is definitely different. Looking forward to reading about what folks get up to!

EDIT: Spotted on Steam.
Upcoming Version
- No longer lose performance after singleplayer savegame loads!

Yes.

Top Bottom