• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved XO-PS4 crossplay working internally; Sony won't allow it

But that's the point, even if there was crossplay that would never negate the fact that games which had issues or hold no interest to gamers would be ghost towns.... or that the numbers would dwindle significantly overtime...

Do you think Evolve would be budding now if it had crossplay? No....Do you think COD4 thriving online had anything to do with crossplay? The main reason you populate servers is because your game is fun....Warhawk, Socom back in the day etc..,People talk about indies, but just like AAA games, indies are populated if gamers have an interest and it's mad fun online..Anybody remember battlefield 1943 on the PSN, that game had so many people playing because it was such a fun game online, that's it...As I've said before, even the PC with billions in terms of a playerbase dont keep players for every game online. CP is simply not a problem solver in that respect...

CP also has some security issues that come with it, along with limited interaction with the cross platform. I can't report or interact with players on steam after a game of SFV...I just don't see CP taking off, it has too many downsides for paying customers on single paltforms. If they go full throttle on CP, with full interaction who will manage it? As I've said, If MS has such an interest in CP, they would be putting their money where their mouth is. All their first party games and console exclusives would be crossplay, they would have had a huge push for crossplay in the majority of their third party titles as well.....They would have pushed for crossplatform play between themselves and NIntendo more vigorously too.....not only Sony. MS has a PC/XB ecosystem, how many games are crossplay there? That's all you need to know....

That wasnt my point. My point was that it'd help smaller game to have less separated communities as they'd be one pool of community and not 3 or more.

Then again, security is BS. You have PC+PS4 crossplay. So please, let's put the security argument to bed.

No, Crossplay doesnt have downsides. There's no downside to be able to do more.

It's either no cross play or cross play with limited interaction. I prefer the later.

I also dont care about MS. Why do you have to bring MS on the table ? Two wrongs dont make a right, you know. I know that MS isnt some kind of crossplay champion or whatever. This isnt the point. This isnt the situation here.

The situation here is that developpers claims cross play between all platform is possible and that only one guy is blocking it. It's simple. No security bullshit. No "but the other wouldnt do it if they had the upper hand". I dont work for Sony. I dont work for MS. I dont work in the gaming industry. I look at very simple facts:
Crossplay is this close to be a thing. And if it was a thing for all platforms, it'd be more widespread. One actor dont want to be in. They have no excuse, plain and simple.

thelastword

Banned
If it was Microsoft doing it, we'd be BOTH, you and I calling them out. Enough with the security bullshit ! They allow Crossplay with PC, which is open as you said. It's not about security. It's not about protecting their ecosystem. It's about a dumb fear advantage.

And it's a stupid reason as stated before. I dont care about a company's interest. I care about my own interest. And MY interest should be a company's interest.
They allow crossplay with PC, but it's limited in terms of the number of hooks applied....And yes, it is about security and protecting their ecosystem especially with their histoy in that regard...lawsuit settlement et al...

When you or anyone subbed to the PSN, you were sold on the ecosystem, playing games with other subs, messaging other subs, party chats and coop with other subs, monthly games added to your download list on plus, discounts on games because of plus etc...and the list goes on..In no clause did you read that you would be afforded PC crossplay or Live play as a feature......

SFV is a console exclusive, it makes sense that they crossplatfom that game online to have a bigger audience, especailly for regions like; Africa, Pakistan, Korea, India, China etc... which are more PC oriented and also have a huge fighting game following....Yes they opened it up, but with restrictions to the PC side, there's not full interactivity between PSN and PC as to limit security breaches.....There is no incentive for Sony to allow that for MS, as it's competitor......It works for PC players because a pc player will say, hey I'm not paying anything for online play, I don't mind playing with a larger pool. Sony restricts interaction with PC players outside of online play to prevent breaches and protects it's paying customers, so it works out, but it is a Sony financed game...If you think Sony will or should allow that for Live customers, then perhaps you should just unsubscribe to PSN, because it's not logical and it's not happening.

Lightning

Banned
That wasnt my point. My point was that it'd help smaller game to have less separated communities as they'd be one pool of community and not 3 or more.

Then again, security is BS. You have PC+PS4 crossplay. So please, let's put the security argument to bed.

It's either no cross play or cross play with limited interaction. I prefer the later.

I also dont care about MS. Why do you have to bring MS on the table ? Two wrongs dont make a right, you know. I know that MS isnt some kind of crossplay champion or whatever. This isnt the point. This isnt the situation here.

The situation here is that developpers claims cross play between all platform is possible and that only one guy is blocking it. It's simple. No security bullshit. No "but the other wouldnt do it if they had the upper hand". I dont work for Sony. I dont work for MS. I dont work in the gaming industry. I look at very simple facts:
Crossplay is this close to be a thing. And if it was a thing for all platforms, it'd be more widespread. One actor dont want to be in. They have no excuse, plain and simple.
Your problem is you're only seeing things from the consumer perspective, understandable since you're a consumer, but from a corporation perspective like Sony this makes no sense whatsoever. Whoever is the market leader is going to heavily oppose cross play, it's just the way it is.

Trey

No need for crossplay.., enough players on ps4. I dont understand why people care about this

If its there fine, if its not I will still enjoy the game

Then move out of the way and let us get a feature we would like to have.

Malcolm9

Then move out of the way and let us get a feature we would like to have.

Get over it, Sony allow it with PC, they just don't want it with Live which is fair enough.

There aren't even enough cross play games that make it a big deal anyway.

thelastword

Banned

There is no one more customer oriented like I am...I'd like to think I'm one of the biggest proponents of such in these parts......However, I'd make a good argument for a customer when it's warranted and within their rights. Being a customer however does not mean you deserve everything, you pay a finite amount for a product or service and these services clearly state what you're getting...

Now, if within your service or contract/product agreement it states certain things that you should have received and did not..... I'd be the first to "raze" a storm, but we clearly can't go claiming things as a right of ours when it is not.....I'd like to go to a honda dealership and come out with a ferrari...I'd love for that to happen, but it's simply not logical or practical....

Also, if there is only one guy blocking crossplay, why dont the others go full throttle with CP and teach Sony a lesson and take over the market....Why isn't every game MS/NIN/PC crossplay?
I've asked a question since inception. MS is in the best position to have the most crossplay titles by far since they have a windows store and they have crossbuy. How many games are CP on the XB!? If this is so important for the industry and so important to MS, why aren't they pushing ahead with the majority party which you say agree with them....? Where are all the third party games which are crossplay PC/XB1 on their platform?

Trey

Get over it, Sony allow it with PC, they just don't want it with Live which is fair enough.

No. I'm not impacting your life by criticizing and asking a corporations for features. If you don't mind, then don't mind.

I'll be asking for features that would improve the experience for gamers.

No. I'm not impacting your life by criticizing and asking a corporations for features. If you don't mind, then don't mind.

Some people take criticizing Sony very personally

There is no one more customer oriented like I am...I'd like to think I'm one of the biggest proponents of such in these parts......However, I'd make a good argument for a customer when it's warranted and within their rights. Being a customer however does not mean you deserve everything, you pay a finite amount for a product or service and these services clearly state what you're getting...

Now, if within your service or contract/product agreement it states certain things that you should have received and did not..... I'd be the first to "raze" a storm, but we clearly can't go claiming things as a right of ours when it is not.....I'd like to go to a honda dealership and come out with a ferrari...I'd love for that to happen, but it's simply not logical or practical....

Also, if there is only one guy blocking crossplay, why dont the others go full throttle with CP and teach Sony a lesson and take over the market....Why isn't every game MS/NIN/PC crossplay?
I've asked a question since inception. MS is in the best position to have the most crossplay titles by far since they have a windows store and they have crossbuy. How many games are CP on the XB!? If this is so important for the industry and so important to MS, why aren't they pushing ahead with the majority party which you say agree with them....? Where are all the third party games which are crossplay PC/XB1 on their platform?

Consumer's always right. That's the rule. Plain and simple. No, you don't advocate for customer, you're just finding excuses for Sony. Lame excuses at that and then you go for the strawman argument Microsoft. As I said, Microsoft being lame on that department doesn't excuse Sony.

And why does every title doesn't become Switch/XB1/PC crossplay ? Because publishers dont want troubles and make one version of their product inferior. Plain and simple.
But if all manufacturers would allow it, publishers wouldn't have to think twice, it'd benefit them.

And please, stop pretending it'd require Sony to make a big effort, and that "entitled" consumers are asking for the moon.
It's a freakin switch to press on developpers side. Sony just has to say "yes" and do nothing and just let players enjoy it. Plain and simple.

Malcolm9

You just come across as self entitled. Boo hoo Sony don't want cross play with Xbox.

I want to play Halo against my mates, should MS make it cross play so I can play it on my PlayStation?

People are really blowing this up way bigger than it is, but if you feel so entitled please feel free to carry on getting salty about it.

watershed

Banned
Nothing wrong with complaining about cross platform play. It may payoff one day. I remember all the threads for Operation Rainfall for the Wii. I believe we ended up getting all 3 games.

You just come across as self entitled. Boo hoo Sony don't want cross play with Xbox.

I want to play Halo against my mates, should MS make it cross play so I can play it on my PlayStation?

People are really blowing this up way bigger than it is, but if you feel so entitled please feel free to carry on getting salty about it.
Corporate shilling is NEVER good

Trey

I would hope I come across as self entitled when I ask corporations to do something so that I can get more value out of my product that I'm paying money for. What am I supposed to be, grateful?

Seeing as we're in a thread about a feature that devs are for, gamers want, and one party is unilaterally stonewalling a much requested feature, then I will be here to join the chorus in asking for and pressuring said party into giving us what we want. That's literally how supply and demand feedback is supposed to work, and I'm doing my part.

If you want to play Halo with your mates on PS4, make your thread and start your petition to get 343 on board to put pressure on Microsoft, and perhaps your snowball will roll through hell and answer your prayer. I won't stand in your way - it doesn't harm me.

Malcolm9

As a consumer you should always want the best treatment from companies. When you wish to excuse a company for being shitty then I question your motives

How are they being shitty though? Are companies being shitty when I can't play their exclusives on a particular console?

If I was in Sony's shoes I wouldn't allow it either.

Business is business.

Why give any quarter to a competitor when there's nothing in it for you?

Maledict

As a fan of playstation, fuck Sony for this. This doesn't hurt them in the slightest.

It does. I'm not sure why people don't understand why the market leader doesn't allow this. It gives their competitors an edge and can only hurt their sales.

The network effect is real, it has an impact on sales, and cross play reduces the impact it has. It's always the market leader who refuses it and the struggling competitor who wants it for very simple reasons,

thelastword

Banned
As a consumer you should always want the best treatment from companies. When you wish to excuse a company for being shitty then I question your motives
And this sums up the silliness of this conversation right there...Soon we will have XB1/PC owners demanding it's their right for Sony to put Uncharted, Gran Turismo or God of War on these platforms...

If you believe Sony is being shitty by not allowing MS and MS's paying customers on the PSN, then I don't know what world you live in.......

And this sums up the silliness of this conversation right there...Soon we will have XB1/PC owners demanding it's their right for Sony to put Uncharted, Gran Turismo or God of War on these platforms...

If you believe Sony is being shitty by not allowing MS and MS's paying customers on the PSN, then I don't know what world you live in.......

This sums up the problem with your thinking. You're always seeing this in the point of view of Sony. Heck, the fact that you cant tell one requires active participation from Sony while the other just require them to say yes to 3rd party devs is pretty much telling.

That's not even the point being discussed. It's not about Sony having to give details to MS, or use their infrastructure. Or Xbox users to get into PSN. It's about allowing devs to use their own technology to allow two hardwares to communicate. Plain and simple.

Aters

Your problem is you're only seeing things from the consumer perspective, understandable since you're a consumer, but from a corporation perspective like Sony this makes no sense whatsoever. Whoever is the market leader is going to heavily oppose cross play, it's just the way it is.

From a corporation perspective this is a cheap move whose gain is far outweighed by the negative PR. Ask yourself how many extra PS4 they can sell by not allowing cross-play.

v1lla21

It does. I'm not sure why people don't understand why the market leader doesn't allow this. It gives their competitors an edge and can only hurt their sales.

The network effect is real, it has an impact on sales, and cross play reduces the impact it has. It's always the market leader who refuses it and the struggling competitor who wants it for very simple reasons,
I don't see how jumping into the cross platform game will hurt Sony's sales when they are leading the market. You don't think people who are looking to buy a system and see that you can cross play between the xbox and switch would rather go for that console over the ps4? Majority of your casual players see it as another feature the ps4 doesn't have. Why spend the money on a ps4 when you can spend it on a switch or an xbox and get more.

Malcolm9

I don't see how jumping into the cross platform game will hurt Sony's sales when they are leading the market. You don't think people who are looking to buy a system and see that you can cross play between the xbox and switch would rather go for that console over the ps4? Majority of your casual players see it as another feature the ps4 doesn't have. Why spend the money on a ps4 when you can spend it on a switch or an xbox and get more.

The majority of casual gamers probably don't care to be honest.

Consumer's always right. That's the rule. Plain and simple. No, you don't advocate for customer, you're just finding excuses for Sony. Lame excuses at that and then you go for the strawman argument Microsoft. As I said, Microsoft being lame on that department doesn't excuse Sony.

And why does every title doesn't become Switch/XB1/PC crossplay ? Because publishers dont want troubles and make one version of their product inferior. Plain and simple.
But if all manufacturers would allow it, publishers wouldn't have to think twice, it'd benefit them.

And please, stop pretending it'd require Sony to make a big effort, and that "entitled" consumers are asking for the moon.
It's a freakin switch to press on developpers side. Sony just has to say "yes" and do nothing and just let players enjoy it. Plain and simple.

Nah. That's the biggest mistake that you see in American customer service. While good customer service is important, the consumer just isn't always right. In either case, you're advocating for yourself, not all of us. Most of us don't give a damn either way. I say that as someone who mainly plays his Xbox too.

You don't see why Sony wouldn't want to share their userbase they built with another console? I don't believe that. I'm not saying it's right, but come on.

The majority of casual gamers probably don't care to be honest.

Pretty much.

From a corporation perspective this is a cheap move whose gain is far outweighed by the negative PR. Ask yourself how many extra PS4 they can sell by not allowing cross-play.

Probably more than they're supposedly losing tbh.

I'm here. Just very busy. Moving the family in my scenario is quite a chore. Others are handling these threads quite nicely though.

A.K.A. screw you got mine.

Not really, but if that's what you made it up in your head, that's on you.

TwiztidElf

Sony have a competitive advantage.
People who play online will be able to find games quicker due to their larger pool of players.
Xbox online communities contract quicker due to the smaller pool of players.

Why from a business perspective would they want to just give this advantage away to their primary competition?

It's not right from a consumer perspective, but it absolutely makes no business sense whatsoever for Sony to allow cross play.

CookTrain

It's not right from a consumer perspective, but it absolutely makes no business sense whatsoever for Sony to allow cross play.

Thus it's on those of us who want it to make crossplay more appealing than the negative PR they might get from holding out. Hence threads like this and the uproar yet to come.

JoeLT

Not everyone lives in America, in a lot of places online populations struggle, especially after a games been out for a while or its a niche title. Cross play helps that a ton, but keep fighting that good fight.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Why would a business give their competitor, a playerbase they worked hard to amass.

Actually they would be giving it to developers who are asking for it. To strengthen online communities in games to sell more copies and DLC so everyone makes more money. Sony is so far a head and cross play is at at stage it would do zero harm to Sony sales wise.

thelastword always has an agenda is every one of these threads, he's the perfect candidate for the ignore list.

Well yeah, I know, but it's crazy to see PC peeps and even other PS4 fans calling him out like so. Even his own "side" doesn't like him, lol.

Why the fuck are you in this thread? Don't tell people to get over it. Instead, just don't post. This is a legitimate issue and the corporate shilling in here is starting to get out of hand.

What? How does any of this equate to playing a first party game on a competitors console? You're desperately grasping for straws and not even doing a good job at it. Instead of insulting people for an issue you claim to not care about, how about attemtping to understand why many people claim this is anti-consumer?

Actually they would be giving it to developers who are asking for it. To strengthen online communities in games to sell more copies and DLC so everyone makes more money. Sony is so far a head and cross play is at at stage it would do zero harm to Sony sales wise.
Exactly. Imagining developers would love to only have to maintain one huge combined playerbase

Malcolm9

Well yeah, I know, but it's crazy to see PC peeps and even other PS4 fans calling him out like so. Even his own "side" doesn't like him, lol.

Why the fuck are you in this thread? Don't tell people to get over it. Instead, just don't post. This is a legitimate issue and the corporate shilling in here is starting to get out of hand.

What? How does any of this equate to playing a first party game on a competitors console? You're desperately grasping for straws and not even doing a good job at it. Instead of insulting people for an issue you claim to not care about, how about attemtping to understand why many people claim this is anti-consumer?

I'll post all I want thanks. A legitimate issue? Is it?? Maybe for the minority of self entitled people, oh and well done for pulling out the rather original "Corporate Shilling" comment.

How is wanting to play a first party game on another console not a legitimate issue then? What if I don't want to buy two consoles as a consumer, how is this not anti consumer??

See what I did there.

Cross play has been a thing with Sony for a while, they just don't want to open it up to Xbox. From a business perspective it's pretty obvious why.

Top Bottom