• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival of the Fittest Coming to PS4 on July 19

Loudninja

It’s only been a month since the release of ARK: Survival of the Fittest as a stand-alone game on PC, and already thousands and thousands of people are playing it. Complete with cash prizes, invitational tournaments, and of course, dinosaurs as far as the eye can see, Survival of the Fittest was built from the ground up to be full of competitive action. And we’re bringing it all to PS4 players on July 19!

Spawning almost naked with a group of hostile opponents, it’s do-or-die in what we’re calling a Multiplayer Online Survival Arena (The big hats keep telling me to push the acronym until it becomes a thing), where you use your wits, your cunning, a little bit of brute force, a hatchet, an anvil, some arrows, a triceratops, a few guns, an explosive or two, a couple of stegosaurus, a sniper rifle, and — in dire cases — your own poop to be the last tribe standing when the final curtain is drawn.

Tame dinosaurs, craft armor, forge weapons, harvest resources, build bases, make friends, and slaughter some “Bobs” (ARK’s term for newcomers), in what is one of the deepest combat arenas to ever hit PlayStation. The breadth and depth of strategy, and potential avenues for victory, are enormous, and we’re working insanely hard to make sure that no matter what approach you take, you can come out on top if you’re clever.

The PS4 has actually given us an interesting opportunity to bring a different kind of ARK — and a unique type of game — to the platform. Nobody has yet brought a Multiplayer Online Survival Arena (MOSA) to PlayStation, and we thought it was kind of a shame that the space was being neglected.
In addition to the fact that it’s untackled ground, we’re really looking forward to some of the unique elements of console gameplay: splitscreen, local LAN play, and we’re even looking at introducing bots which you can play against offline to challenge yourself, or to practice, or maybe just to see the world that ARK takes place in
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/04/21/ark-survival-of-the-fittest-coming-to-ps4-on-july-19/

Flandy

ctrl + f VR
0 results
No way this is getting the promised PSVR support

edit: Wait is this not regular Ark?

So Xbox One gets Ark: Survival Evolved and PS4 gets Survival of The Fittest?

I don't get it. Are both versions releasing for both consoles?

I'm uninformed but interested, so how does this differ from Ark: Survival Evolved?

Survival of The Fittest is a mod turned full game. It's a multiplayer mode in the style of Hunger Games where players have increased xp, crafting, etc. and the last man (or team) standing wins. It's similar to games like The Culling if you've seen that.

jond76

Banned
Kinda bummed. I'm much more interested in this than the survival version I bought on Xbox. Hope it makes it way over soon.

tcrunch

Survival of the Fittest is short competitive multiplayer matches, think like COD where you join a lobby then do a match, then start over again with the next match. They have Hunger Games-style bulletin boards in the sky when you die, random events, etc.

Survival Evolved is the persistent world MMO version where you build elaborate bases and everything takes a long time.

Jebusman

Banned
It seems like all the main Ark/Rust style survival games have implemented a Battle Royale/Hunger Games style survival mode in them.

I have to personally say it added a new level of enjoyment to them after I had just burned out. Having a fully separate version of the gamemode will probably do pretty well.

PulseONE

Okaaay, so whilst I get the general gist of Ark, how is this different from the PC and Xbox versions?

Edit: Ah nevermind, answered already

How are these developers making different versions of ARK when the original version of ARK is still in early access and runs like shit on most PCs? Doesn't sound like a good use of time and resources if you ask me.

Someone else mentioned that the original version of ARK was supposed to come out on PS4 and have PSVR support. If thats the case then they must have forgotten to do so.

Hylian7

So having been playing a ton of the PC version of this, it is very different from other Battle Royale/Hunger Games type of games. I would argue it's even sort of an RTS.

Strategy goes really deep in this thing. You game to build your early game items quickly, pick a strategy and go with it. Mainly there are two schools of strategy: building a base to craft weapons and armor, or taming strong dinosaurs. There are other strategies as well, but those are the two that are most known.

If you go for building, you will have to place a base near metal deposits and generally stay in one spot. You will have to build multiple forges to smelt all the metal you need. Your goal is to come up with good equipment, including Chitin armor and guns. It involves knowing a lot of the numbers, so it takes practice, but if you can just snipe someone else, you can run up and claim their dinosaurs after they die. This is more "macro" than "micro".

My favorite strategy is taming. Basically you want dinos that are useful in combat. Generally you want to have one or two that are large in size, to hide behind in the final showdown in the center of the map. Sometimes you might not be able to find the dino you want, so you might have to make due with something else. I usually go for a Spinosaurus or T-Rex. Raptors are also really strong. Carnos are great too. There are plenty of other viable dinos, some you only see from Carnivore Drops. This strategy is about getting good dinosaurs in time, but also about micromanaging them so they don't die in combat. This strategy is more " micro " than "macro".

Regardless of your strategy, you are limited in time. The wall closes in slowly with the time, reaching the center at the end of the countdown. If you are outside the wall for 30 seconds, you die.

Hopefully this post helps everyone understand that this isn't your run of the mill Battle Royale game.

I love Ark SE, Day 1 on the Games Preview program on Xbox One. The Split screen play is something my wife and I really enjoy. We play private, so no PVP woes and its a great team survival experience and gateway game to get her into something with more meat than Peggle.

Hope PS4 players get to have the real game too.

Top Bottom