• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkansas Rushes to Execute 8 Men Before Execution Drug Expires

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Note that I am smiling at the person I am replying to, not "any of this". Would you prefer petty insults as he has given me? I chose smiles instead :)

And yeah, I laughed at the idea of finding a humane way to kill trash who rape and torture and violently kill people. I can sleep well at night knowing there are people who disagree.

But I guess if we have different opinions we should not post so I'll leave. And to the guy above who linked a study, it says 1 in 25... so 4%. I jokingly said 96% are innocent. Funny that it's the opposite of that :)

I linked it because its a confirmation that there have been and most likely still several people on death row who are innocent. You keep talking as if its a given that everyone on death row is a monster and the lackadaisical "oh well" if there are some innocent people there who might be put to death is pretty gross. Its cold and callous without thinking of the greater consequences of such actions to feed the pig headed eye for an eye mentality.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Black people committed around two thirds of murders in 2015 in arkansas. Theyre underrepresented compared to current crime rates.

Not sure what the rest has to do with the topic.

African Americans in Arkansas are 15% of the population. But half the death row inmates. Which suggests to me that somewhere in the process a disproportionate iniquity is occurring. Certainly in sentencing, but everywhere else down the chain all the way to child care and jobs. It's neither a controversial nor obscure issue.

Gallbaro

Banned
Does the drug get less lethal after it expires?

In-humane punishment (in a legal sense).

Not that I am for corporal punishment and I am very ignorant on the subject.

But why wouldn't they just use car and garage method? Seems peaceful and avoids all this crap.

Should have been dead a long time ago. It's sad that cases where guilt is 100% undeniable you can still sit appealing for over 20 years. Who gives a fuck what a bunch of murders might feel when they die. One of those guys beat a woman to death with a tire iron. Another killed a teenager, escaped from prison, killed a man just to take his truck, and then killed someone else in an ensuing police chase. I doubt any of them have a shit about how their victims felt when they were being fucking murdered, lol.

"Beyond reasonable doubt" is one hell of a high burden of proof, and new evidence is revealed all the time. In what way does killing someone help a grieving family?

BigDes

Wondering how many of those men will get a

Arkansas man's conviction overturned ten years after execution

Headline in the future.

Sometimes I think we need to kill scum. Like some people are so toxic to socity, that they need to die...Then I think that is fucked up because where do you draw the line. Could I stomach it if it meant one innocent person got killed?

No. I would prefer they spent their whole life in prison. Stuck in a cell, growing old and dying alone. If their innocent, then it means there is a chance the truth will out and that person will be freed. Death there is no chance. It's final.

This is inhumane and should be a sign to the state to end the death penalty.

Ekdrm2d1

Just switch back to firing squad.

vrb4D63.gif

Not sure if joking

cameron

NBCNEWS: "U.S. Supreme Court Denies Arkansas Request to Begin Executions"

CUMMINS UNIT, Ark. — The United States Supreme Court rejected a request by the state of Arkansas early Tuesday to execute the first prisoner in a tight schedule of eight death sentences it planned to complete before the end of the month.

The decision was the culmination of a chaotic day of legal arguments, as Arkansas attempts to carry out its first executions in 12 years before its supply of lethal-injection drugs expires at the end of the month.

The high court gave no explanation for its ruling, but said it would not lift an order made by the Arkansas Supreme Court on Monday to stop the executions of two inmates set to be put to death that night. They were scheduled to be the first of eight people put to death in the space of 10 days.
The Supreme Court's decision came 10 minutes before the death warrant expired for one of these men, 56-year-old Don Davis.
Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said he was "disappointed" by the ruling. "While this has been an exhausting day for all involved, tomorrow we will continue to fight back on last minute appeals and efforts to block justice for the victims' families," Hutchinson said.

The Supreme Court's decision came down on Neil Gorsuch's first day as justice. It is unknown how the fledgling judge voted, though the governor's office indicated that all nine justices discussed the issue for hours before coming to a decision.

The governor's office does not believe that Davis and Ward's executions could be scheduled before the end of April, which means they are unlikely to face the death penalty for the foreseeable future because one of the state's lethal injection drugs is set to expire on April 30.

The remaining inmates who are to be put to death before the end of the month are expected to appeal the 8th circuit's decision to the Supreme Court as well. If taken by the country's highest court, the justices would have to give a more definitive answer about the controversial drug midazolam — the first drug in Arkansas's lethal injection cocktail.

ironcreed

Banned
Rotting in a cell and being treated like shit for the rest of your life is far worse than the death penalty, which is kind of what makes it redundant.

slit

Hurrying up executions because of drug expiration dates is some of the most asinine logic yet for executing people. So now that it's been postponed, the drugs will expire and nobody wants to sell them more. Now what do they do?

Hurrying up executions because of drug expiration dates is some of the most asinine logic yet for executing people. So now that it's been postponed, the drugs will expire and nobody wants to sell them more. Now what do they do?

Get rid of the death penalty?

Just kidding, this is America where we latch on to our bad decisions and ride them into oblivion.

ZOONAMI

Rotting in a cell and being treated like shit for the rest of your life is far worse than the death penalty, which is kind of what makes it redundant.

I think multiple life sentences or no possibility of parole is also pretty cruel. At least if we are talking about a single incident. If it's a serial killer or potentially if the incident is just too fucking evil (like murdering an entire family), maybe it's appropriate. But a single murder I would think someone has a good shot at rehabilitation.

At least wrongful convictions can be reversed eventually with a sentence vs the death penalty, that's final. That's the main problem with your argument about it being redundant. Innocent people get lethal injection, and then there isn't anything you can do about it.

Note that I am smiling at the person I am replying to, not "any of this". Would you prefer petty insults as he has given me? I chose smiles instead :)

And yeah, I laughed at the idea of finding a humane way to kill trash who rape and torture and violently kill people. I can sleep well at night knowing there are people who disagree.

But I guess if we have different opinions we should not post so I'll leave. And to the guy above who linked a study, it says 1 in 25... so 4%. I jokingly said 96% are innocent. Funny that it's the opposite of that :)

So as long as we get most of the bad guys, we can continue executing innocent people?

Gotta break a few eggs AMIRITE?

I can't believe grown adults actually think like this. It's astounding.

Welp, the Supreme Court just gave the go-ahead for Ledell Lee's execution. They overturned the 8th Circuit Court's stay in a 4-5 decision. He hasn't even been on the bench a month yet, and already we're feeling the consequences of Gorsuch's confirmation.

Welp, the Supreme Court just gave the go-ahead for Ledell Lee's execution. They overturned the 8th Circuit Court's stay in a 4-5 decision. He hasn't even been on the bench a month yet, and already we're feeling the consequences of Gorsuch's confirmation.

The Founding Fathers were really thinking hard about the need for their new society to rush the execution of convicts before pharmaceuticals they'd never heard of expired. Activist judges just don't understand.

More blood on McConnell's hands.

cameron

Arkansas' first execution since 2005. Pretty fucked up.

Yea:
Several death-row inmates in Arkansas, including Lee, appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court to stay the executions, but the justices earlier Thursday night released orders denying these requests. This marked the first time Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, who joined the court earlier this month, voted to create a conservative majority. In one of the orders, the court was split 5-4, with Gorsuch joining the majority in denying the stay and the court’s four liberal members saying they would have granted it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...me-executions-is-blocked-by-new-court-orders/

RevenWolf

I linked it because its a confirmation that there have been and most likely still several people on death row who are innocent. You keep talking as if its a given that everyone on death row is a monster and the lackadaisical "oh well" if there are some innocent people there who might be put to death is pretty gross. Its cold and callous without thinking of the greater consequences of such actions to feed the pig headed eye for an eye mentality.

That statistic alone should be sufficient to remove the death penalty. It's a barbaric practice, stemming from a need for revenge.

The fact that some people are ok with innocents being executed because the majority "deserved it" is appalling frankly.

Steejee

Pretty f'd up all around. Disgraceful to execute this man with so many red flags on his case. Gorsuch's first case may have been to send a potentially innocent man to his death.

Mimosa97

Barbaric. And even more shocking to know that this kind of stuff is happening in a first world country.

America and Japan need to let go of these medieval practices.

cameron

Two, tonight.

Reuters: "Arkansas carries out first double execution in U.S. since 2000"
Arkansas carried out back-to-back executions on Monday night, becoming the first U.S. state to put more than one inmate to death on the same day in 17 years.

Convicted killer Marcel Williams, 46, was pronounced dead around 10:00 CDT (0333 GMT), a little more than three hours after state officials executed another murderer, 52-year-old Jack Jones.

The two men were among eight that the state had initially planned to execute over the course of 11 days this month, prompted by the impending expiration date of the state's supplies of midazolam, a sedative used as part of the three-drug protocol.

Four of those executions have been put on hold by court order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom