• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armature to release UE4 to all Wii U/Vita developers for free

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1259255

“Hi Bloodstained backers - Armature here with another update. It turns out that a people have shown a ton of interest in our plan to port UE4 to the WiiU and PS Vita. Since they're not officially supported platforms, it's going to be a lot of work to get Bloodstained and UE4 on these platforms, but we are up to the challenge.

“Since the community got these platforms off the ground, we figure that it's best to let the community have them back when we're done. As a result, after the release of Bloodstained we will share, for free, the UE4 WiiU and Vita code with any developer authorized to develop on those platforms! Thank you all very much for this opportunity!”

Sniper me on Face if old.

Edit: An update of Armature in regards to this (thanks to Rymuth for bringing this to my attention):
We announced that we would be releasing the code for our UE4 WiiU/Vita modifications. We didn’t provide very many details, and there’s been some confusion, so we just wanted to clear a few things up.

What we are planning to do is share the WiiU and Vita modifications to UE4 for Bloodstained after the game ships with authorized developers for the respective platforms (and we’re not sure how we’ll deliver the code, it’s a bit complicated because of all the parties involved).

Neither us nor Epic will be providing any support for this code. What developers will get will be a snapshot of the platform-specific code that ships with Bloodstained on the version of UE4 that Bloodstained ships with. Nobody will be keeping the code up-to-date with newer versions of UE4.

We are not planning to take external contributions from individuals, do any co-development, or release the code prior to Bloodstained’s release. Our intent is to give people a great jumping-off point on those platforms.

We hope this clears things up, and we’re excited to provide more specifics as we have them!

Takao

Banned
At first I was like "Whoa, that's awesome!" then I realized this would be in 2017 ...

Still great for Armature to do that, though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Cool even though WiiU and Vita will be dead by then.

Toki767

That's pretty great of them to do so.

Not sure how much that would really encourage game development in 2 years though.

By funding Bloodstained, we have funded Unreal 4 support on unsupported platforms, for free and forever.

You're welcome. This is going on my résumé.

Evilmaus

It might come a bit late but this is still a really big deal in my opinion.

What a fantastic mentality. I really hope there are developers still interested in the Wii-U and Vita in 2017 to reap the rewards of all this.

thats awesome but by that time the wiiu will most likely be replaced and the vita is barely hanging on to its niche life support.

I wonder will that force the Epic's hand to care a little about that or not, which probably equals to "how many indies will care".

Exile20

It might come a bit late but this is still a really big deal in my opinion.

What a fantastic mentality. I really hope there are developers still interested in the Wii-U and Vita in 2017 to reap the rewards of all this.

The Wii U maybe but the 3ds successor will kill the Vita even deader.

Of wow, that's pretty awesome of them. Will they be releasing that code before Bloodstains Wii U and Vita release when they finish the porting job of the engine or after?

That's really impressive. Glad I was wrong with my thinking Armature would just port the game to another engine for Wii U and the like.

matmanx1

Mad props to Armature for doing that even if no one uses their code. I'm excited to see what they can do on the Vita and WiiU with UE4.

Best case scenario: Armature ports UE4 to Wii U, and then merges the github fork with main (or at least makes it publically accessible). BOOM, indies can then port their UE4 games to the wii U and everyone wins.

Remember guys: UE4 is (technically) open source. Anyone with an Epic Games account can fork the source now. Lionhead's realtime GI system for Fable Legends is getting merged with main soon, for example.

tumblr_m6syp8rjOs1qcpfue.gif

Thanks, Armature :)

People in this thread still don't seem to realize the Vita actually has very good market share in Japan (and even then, some US outfits like XSEED state they are happy with the sales they are getting for the platform). And there are plenty of Japanese devs who work with UE4. I don't think it's a stretch to think this could add years to the platform's lifecycle.

Wiggy

Cool, good for indies porting to Vita. 2017 is far away, but as long as it has no successor im sure vita owners will keep buying games.

Paltheos

Pretty cool.

FYI y'all, Vita still has games in development that I'm excited for - Ys 8 and Danganronpa 3 spring to mind. Hopefully the Vita won't be too dead by 2017, ;)
Though yeah I don't know about future development at that point. Pretty grim.

People in this thread still don't seem to realize the Vita actually has very good market share in Japan (and even then, some US outfits like XSEED state they are happy with the sales they are getting for the platform). And there are plenty of Japanese devs who work with UE4. I don't think it's a stretch to think this could add years to the platform's lifecycle.

Vita has less than 4 million hardware sales in Japan, compared to 18.6 million for 3DS. The split is almost the same as it everywhere else in the world, nearly 5:1 in favour of 3DS. Vita sales only look comparatively good in Japan because console sales are so abysmally low.

But yes, Vita software does sell very well considering the install base. There will only be 11-12 million Vita owners worldwide in 2017, but they'll all still be buying games.

Well that's... pretty cool of them. Though not sure what difference it would make to either platform at that point in their lives.

Not entirely sure developers will be releasing new Vita / Wii U games in 2017 and beyond but its nice of them I guess.

Epic ok with this?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
just watched the kickstarter video for the first time.

is that Castle Di Amorosa in Napa, CA?

Yep it's really cool. Sadly, I'm not sure that Wii U and Vita will be at a point in their life cycles where it will be taken advantage of too much, but it's an excellent thing to do.

Savitar

Pretty cool gesture, granted it won't help either a lot in the end but hey who knows, some creative person or group out there may be able to really put together something special because of this.

We can only wait and see.

Keratay

Neo Member
Am I misreading this? I thought they meant that they'd release the game's source code on those platforms, not the engine itself.

Great that they are porting UE4 to these platforms, but 2017 is just... yeah.

I would imagine that it would be easier to port it to Vita though, than to the Wii U. Vita is basically just a ARM+ PowerVR combination, not so far off from any Android or iOS device.

Top Bottom