• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armature to release UE4 to all Wii U/Vita developers for free

donny2112

Well, we knew that UE4 (some version) would work on Wii U from before launch, but that it'd have to be a third-party to bring it. Guess someone finally is...

hao chi

Yoooooo. Good guy Armature!

Lab Zero and Armature are both amazing for doing things like this (former lets any company use their PS3 controller drivers on PS4 for free).

MrHoot

As a dev interested to make stuff for wii u and mostly vita, that would be AWESOME. Hoping this will come to fruition not too long in the future

donny2112

Fitting that it's former Retro employees, too.

Oh, cool! Didn't realize that's where the Metroid Prime guys ended up. In that case, a collaboration between Armature and Playtonic
and whatever Factor 5 employees became
would be the ultimate "Hey, Nintendo. We're your tech guys, remember!" :lol

Orayn

This is a nice idea, but will even indie devs be greenlighting new Wii U and Vita projects in 2017?

Maybe. If the devs are already certified for Wii U or Vita, I could see this helping some of the smaller Unreal 4 projects find their way to more platforms.

Ridley327

Oh, cool! Didn't realize that's where the Metroid Prime guys ended up. In that case, a collaboration between Armature and Playtonic
and whatever Factor 5 employees became
would be the ultimate "Hey, Nintendo. We're your tech guys, remember!" :lol

Actually, the original tech guys from Retro are at Bluepoint!

Props to them, thanks!

For the ones saying for what, remember UE4 was released for indie development, so we could have some 2D and 3D UE4 indie games by then, that could have a Wii U version because of this.

Kyou

2017 will be a great year for Wii U and Vita, two consoles that will clearly be alive and healthy in 2017.

Well, that's actually great.

I don't get the "but-but-but, platforms will be DEAD!" people. It's like they get upset when developers don't do exactly as they want.

I think someone made a thread like that somewhere.... mmmm.

By 2017 the Wii U will be done and probably the Vita as well.

Outside of Japan the Vita is already dead, even Sony abonded the system (and this even before some third parties).

The Wii U gets a steady flow of new games and just had a success with Splatoon worldwide. But 2017 will likely see a new Nintendo console because Nintendo's normal console life cycle is ending than.

Game Guru

Vita has less than 4 million hardware sales in Japan, compared to 18.6 million for 3DS.

Currently, the three best selling eighth generation platforms there are the 3DS, the Vita, and the Wii U, none of which support UE4, but two are going to given Armature's statement. Because of this, we could theoretically get cross-platform Vita/Wii U/PS4 games that use UE4. This can naturally help the Japanese market stabilize because the Japanese could make Vita and/or Wii U games for their home market and a PS4 port for the rest of the world using one of the established middleware engine standards.

Of course, the best hope for dedicated systems in Japan as far as the international audience for dedicated systems goes is getting UE4 on Nintendo's next handheld since that would mean easy porting between Nintendo's next handheld and the PS4, which would mean that Japan can get both the largest chunk of the domestic audience for dedicated platforms with the version for Nintendo's next handheld and the largest chunk for the international audience for dedicated platforms with the version for PS4 while using one of the established middleware engine standards.

jholmes

I love that Armature is doing this. I can't see it really amounting to a whole lot but if they find some magic bullets for either system, there might be a few quick-and-dirty ports around 2017 because of this.

The issue is everyone is thinking this will be great for indies, but how many indies are out there using UE4?

duckroll

People in this thread still don't seem to realize the Vita actually has very good market share in Japan (and even then, some US outfits like XSEED state they are happy with the sales they are getting for the platform). And there are plenty of Japanese devs who work with UE4. I don't think it's a stretch to think this could add years to the platform's lifecycle.

Yes it's a huge stretch. Anyone in Japan who is already developing on the Vita will continue to do so if the low margins make sense for them. They don't need UE4 to convince them to keep doing it, and having UE4 doesn't make it any easier for them. Anyone in Japan who isn't already developing on the Vita is clearly not interested in the low margins and having access to some custom UE4 codebase that works on it is not going to convince them.

It's not going to add "years" to the platform, it's not going to add "months" to the platform. Armature is not some super developer who are the only ones capable of the magic feat of getting UE4 to run on Vita. They're just the only ones who are interested at all because they're being paid to do so by another company which isn't interested in doing it themselves.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow that's great, they or someone else should ask epic and/or nintendo and/or sony(lol) to help them!

The likely lack of a vita successor( :( ) ironically could extend vita's lifespan and i can see indies and some japanese developers supporting vita for a long while, the ue4 could be used to port games released even before 2017, but we have to see how many of those games could run on vita though.

TunaLover

Well I though they would bypass UE4 on Wii U, build a custom engine and apply the assets, I was wrong, it's great news though cause it ensure a smooth development.

Update, about, well, there being no update after that initial release of code.
We announced that we would be releasing the code for our UE4 WiiU/Vita modifications. We didn’t provide very many details, and there’s been some confusion, so we just wanted to clear a few things up.

What we are planning to do is share the WiiU and Vita modifications to UE4 for Bloodstained after the game ships with authorized developers for the respective platforms (and we’re not sure how we’ll deliver the code, it’s a bit complicated because of all the parties involved).

Neither us nor Epic will be providing any support for this code. What developers will get will be a snapshot of the platform-specific code that ships with Bloodstained on the version of UE4 that Bloodstained ships with. Nobody will be keeping the code up-to-date with newer versions of UE4.

We are not planning to take external contributions from individuals, do any co-development, or release the code prior to Bloodstained’s release. Our intent is to give people a great jumping-off point on those platforms.

We hope this clears things up, and we’re excited to provide more specifics as we have them!

Azure J

This is pretty rad stuff. I'm wondering how much will be available to play with out of the full UE4 kit for both of those systems now.

ozfunghi

Update, about, well, there being no update after that initial release of code.

So it 'll be more of a reference for people interested in using UE4 on the platforms too. For others to take a peek at how Armature handled certain issues?

Does anybody know, since they're porting to both Vita and WiiU, if they are starting from the portable engine?

Top Bottom