• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armored Core 5 releases in NA on March 20th

Aselith

So this was released today in Japan, right? Or was it pushed back? If it's out anyone know of any livestreams or anything?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Sold out everywhere it appears.

Trying again today - i didn't pick it up at lunch when i had the chance, when i went back at 5pm it was sold out everywhere.

Orayn

Ouch. Looks like performance really chugs in some areas, particularly when there were three cores battling near those tracks.

Can't find the demo on jp store. Help. :(

The demo was only available for a few days... I believe it went down the day before release in Japan.

Also I've been following this game very closely and watching tons of videos on it up 'til US release... chose not to import this one. Because I am following the game so closely I will be uploading good videos of gameplay that I find at nicovideo.jp as I find them. I find new videos everyday. I upload mostly multiplayer vids, but every once in a while I'll find something interesting to post up like insane emblems, weapon demonstrations, etc. Below is the current list of videos that I have uploaded up to today if any of you are interested in seeing gameplay.

LW Mercenary 4v5
RJ Ranked 8-man Battle Royal
3-man Battle Royal with Mr. Og of From Software
Tons of 1v1 Ranked Matches w/ Overed Death
1v1 Ranked Pile Driver Kills
4-man "Boss Battle"
Pile Drivers part 2 + Shottie/Pulse Gun
Two fast paced Duels
Pushing the limits of Decals/Emblems
Boxing gloves?
4v4 Team Deathmatch
Amateur 1v1 results in Draw
Dozens more Ranked 1v1s
4v4 Team Deathmatch Part 2
Overed Demonstrations - Huge Missile & Multiple Pulse

I'll be posting more everyday so feel free to stay tuned. If it is your thing and you are interested in keeping up with the videos feel free to subscribe to my channel. I'll come back and continually post up new videos that I upload for you guys to watch. Also I don't typically touch story missions so don't worry about spoilers. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/TehGodlyPerfection

Ken

The demo was only available for a few days... I believe it went down the day before release in Japan.

Also I've been following this game very closely and watching tons of videos on it up 'til US release... chose not to import this one. Because I am following the game so closely I will be uploading good videos of gameplay that I find at nicovideo.jp as I find them. I find new videos everyday. I upload mostly multiplayer vids, but every once in a while I'll find something interesting to post up like insane emblems, weapon demonstrations, etc. Below is the current list of videos that I have uploaded up to today if any of you are interested in seeing gameplay.

LW Mercenary 4v5
RJ Ranked 8-man Battle Royal
3-man Battle Royal with Mr. Og of From Software
Tons of 1v1 Ranked Matches w/ Overed Death
1v1 Ranked Pile Driver Kills
4-man "Boss Battle"
Pile Drivers part 2 + Shottie/Pulse Gun
Two fast paced Duels
Pushing the limits of Decals/Emblems
Boxing gloves?
4v4 Team Deathmatch
Amateur 1v1 results in Draw
Dozens more Ranked 1v1s
4v4 Team Deathmatch Part 2
Overed Demonstrations - Huge Missile & Multiple Pulse

I'll be posting more everyday so feel free to stay tuned. If it is your thing and you are interested in keeping up with the videos feel free to subscribe to my channel. I'll come back and continually post up new videos that I upload for you guys to watch. Also I don't typically touch story missions so don't worry about spoilers. ;)

Very nice; thanks for collecting these!

Very nice; thanks for collecting these!

No problem bro...

Introducing the next batch of videos.

The first two are pretty simple. Several guys in skype chat playing on defense with an uncle. This guy uses dual laser somethings.. lol. Part 1 and Part 2.

4v4 Defense with an Uncle
4v4 Defense with an Uncle part 2

The next one is a properly piloted LW in a team scenario. LWs in this game are not made to be damage front runners, but instead are for recon, pot shots, and jumping an unsuspecting opponent to sway things in your favor. The player, wktk, is a decently known good player in the 360 community and his team, Dum Spiro Spero, owned one of the two territories in the demo. Again this is a great example of good gameplay and teamwork.

How to properly play a team-centric LW

This next one includes a return of the guy who made the multi-layered emblems in the last video of "Pushing the envelope with Decals/Emblems". This time he also throws in a bonus (IMO) trophy Iron Man AC and an emblem of Tony Stark and the Stark Industries logo. Enjoy!

Pushing the limits of Decals/Emblems part 2

And finally is a quality tutorial and demonstration of how to make complicated emblems... made simple. ;) It uses a particular program + capture card or involves a printed piece of paper over your TV... lol.

Advanced Emblem Tutorial

As per usual subscribe if you are interested in seeing more. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/user/TehGodlyPerfection

Aselith

Subscribed GodlyPerfection. The game is looking really good. You know how many maps there are in the game? I've only seen the city one and the desert one although I haven't watched all of your videos just a few. Are there others that just aren't as popular? We saw the one with a bunch of tunnels that run into a city area in a video I posted earlier so that's at least another one.

2San

Was about to make post about this Youtube poster that's uploading some pretty awesome ACV footage and then I find out it's done by a gaffer.

Subscribed GodlyPerfection. The game is looking really good. You know how many maps there are in the game? I've only seen the city one and the desert one although I haven't watched all of your videos just a few. Are there others that just aren't as popular? We saw the one with a bunch of tunnels that run into a city area in a video I posted earlier so that's at least another one.

There are only 8 maps. They do have a decent variety of locations though and different types of terrain which keeps it very interesting. The good news is that most people with the defense/offense territory system won't be sticking to just one or two maps. You should be able to get a good variety if you really want it. ;) Below is the list of maps:

• BURIED FACILITY
  • MINING AREA
  • URBAN AREA
  • ABANDONED CITY
  • MARINE FACILITY
  • UPPER AREA
  • HUGE CANYON
  • ALPINE BASE

Was about to make post about this Youtube poster that's uploading some pretty awesome ACV footage and then I find out it's done by a gaffer.

lol... well I'm glad you like the channel. :)

Latest batch of videos...

Alright so the first one is some fancy footwork by your typical LW shottie AC... he uses a ton of bob and weave tactics to throw his opponent off. These are some great fast paced fights.

Fancy Footwork

The next is another LW shottie with some fancy maneuvering through the city. He also uses dual gats in the second match.

Fast Paced LW Action

Video three is technically part 4 of the "playing with an uncle" series, but part 3 was glitchy. This guy takes on the 4 guys by himself after his team gets eliminated. It is a nice break to watch this guy use pulse guns rather than shotties... lol. And I believe he does so well cuz of his operator. But who knows... lol.

4v4 Defense with an Uncle part 3

And many have asked for this and it is finally here... a full demonstration of all 5 of the overed weapons. Enjoy!

ALL Overed Weapons Demonstration

And finally a MAD video that is actually in English so you can understand what is going on. For those that don't know what MAD videos are, they are kind of like fan videos but typically have their own plot and universe and are built with video clips from games/movies/etc.

[MAD] in English

Boogdud

Performance still looks pretty bad, also not digging how the environment doesn't appear to be affected by anything. Weapons blasting them, mechs jumping/dashing off them, climbing them, etc. Looks like an older generation game in that respect. Only environment damage I've seen in any videos are tiny set pieces (scaffolding on the ground, etc.) that get destroyed.

Performance still looks pretty bad, also not digging how the environment doesn't appear to be affected by anything. Weapons blasting them, mechs jumping/dashing off them, climbing them, etc. Looks like an older generation game in that respect. Only environment damage I've seen in any videos are tiny set pieces (scaffolding on the ground, etc.) that get destroyed.

The amount of processing required to register dynamic environmental damage is expensive. It is always better to sacrifice things that make the game look better for gameplay. The performance isn't bad enough to affect gameplay and that is all that really matters. There is a jitter here and there, but not much at all.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
There must be something wrong with me because I can't notice any frame rate problems in any of the videos I watch. I typically have a bad eye for that kinda stuff and only really notice it when it drops down drastically, like full on stops and stutters.

Anyways this is one of my favorite guilty pleasure franchises and I'm getting kinda hyped for this one. I've never early adopted any of these though (played both 3 and 4 for under $20 long after they'd come out) and never played any multiplayer. Thinking about making this one my first foray into that but kinda worried about getting ruined at it. This doesn't exactly seem like the type of franchise with a strong noob community to break yourself in with.

There must be something wrong with me because I can't notice any frame rate problems in any of the videos I watch. I typically have a bad eye for that kinda stuff and only really notice it when it drops down drastically, like full on stops and stutters.

Anyways this is one of my favorite guilty pleasure franchises and I'm getting kinda hyped for this one. I've never early adopted any of these though (played both 3 and 4 for under $20 long after they'd come out) and never played any multiplayer. Thinking about making this one my first foray into that but kinda worried about getting ruined at it. This doesn't exactly seem like the type of franchise with a strong noob community to break yourself in with.

You should definitely still give it a try... a lot of Armored Core vets are willing to help the community grow and put in the effort to help you improve. While there may not be very many new guys, the old guys are there to lend a hand to get you started and up to par.

Next batch of videos...

This first one is one of the first decent clips of someone trying a heavy. It is his first time though so don't expect much. :p

Heavyweight Mercenary

This second video is your typical LW with a shottie... atleast this one has a pulse gun and missiles. He is working on improving his skills and doesn't do too bad.

LW Shottie/Pulse/Missile 1v1s

The next one is another Heavyweight and this one is actually decent. He is running missile sentry turrets and actually puts them in some decent spots.

Heavyweight with Missile Turrets

And the emblem guy is back... this time not with a multi-layered decal. This time he has a fancy portrait of the Joker. Why So Serious?

Pushing the limits of Decals/Emblems part 3

And finally a new player to AC.. I uploaded this to remind us how we all started. Oh the good ol' days. lol... ;)

Comedic Relief; New AC Player

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

Haha same! I'm pretty sure I will get utterly smashed but this looks fun.

And next batch... all 5 of the videos today are definitely worth watching.

Video one is a video of some Karasawa gameplay. It apparently does about 70% of the damage that the guy deals through the whole game (says the description).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_QtHJO2r5c

Video two consists of a guy using pile bunkers in a team game and also uses ANOTHER MOON a variant of the moonlight that was available as DLC when you pre-ordered one of the portables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UipBBg8y2xs

Video three is a guy who doesn't just joust with the shotguns, but actually uses them with proper movement techniques like drifting in order to apply constant pressure on his opponents. He also uses the heat howitzers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGICwb8vvH8

Video four is another one of those giant mech battles that show up in the territories every once in a while... this one is versus Exusia which I believe is also the final boss in the SP game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im-O1LR3YgA

And the final video is of a team pulling off the objective rush tactic using pile bunkers. I knew someone would give this a try eventually, but didn't think it would be this effective... lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJHGjXod6C0

KTallguy

Banned
I played a bunch of this last night, an import copy. Game is amazing. I think they hit it out of the park for an AC game.

My Pros:
  • Great new combat interface, I enjoy the balance between scan/combat mode
  • Weapons look and sound pretty damn cool
  • Level balance is pretty great, even in the story missions, although I'm hoping they become even cooler as it goes on
  • The movement and jumping around/over buildings feels excellent

Some Cons:
  • The shop is annoying, I want to be able to equip something right as I buy it , there are all these different shop options which I don't quite understand (are there user customizable weapons?), and in general it's just kind of weird. Probably the biggest failing with this game.
  • I don't mind it but some friends of mine hate the scan mode/combat mode voice, I think it would be nice if you could disable it.
  • Some of the mechs look pretty ugly up close, textures aren't so hot. It doesn't bother me much though.
  • Framerate takes a hit sometimes (but it's not nearly as bad as the demo, that was horrible).

I'm having fun, at least! :)

ACESmkII

It's good to hear that the framerate is improved over the demo. That was the only thing that really bothered me.

Still day one for me.

If anyone knows how the shop works, or exactly how weapons are unlocked (is it always your team rank?), post pleas!

Team level does help unlock a ton of parts in the shop. As for disabling the voice it is the third min/max bar in the options menu. But it also disables all voices. And yes there are sort of user tuned weapons. Basically when you buy a weapon you chose a specialty and as you bring it to missions it levels up and adds to the stats tied to the specialty. The amount it raises is a bit random to encourage you to keep trying to get better stats and to trade/sell/buy weapons more often and use your money.

hteng

Banned
new US trailer, i guess it's good, but i don't like the music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJoYcpUSZao

I have the Japanese copy, aside from the crazy stupid framerates when 4v4, it remains to be a game with a very steep learning curve. I could not get myself used to the game until well after 20 or so hours.

oh and this game is pretty hard if you're playing through the single player modes alone.

Ken

I have the Japanese copy, aside from the crazy stupid framerates when 4v4, it remains to be a game with a very steep learning curve. I could not get myself used to the game until well after 20 or so hours.

oh and this game is pretty hard if you're playing through the single player modes alone.

I don't listen to "dubstep" (or whatever it's called) but that was enough to keep me away from it forever.

Why does the music sound like its right out of the EA SSX trailers...wow.

The game is that difficult? alone and to learn, guess Ill be with it awhile, hopefully I can make it through and learn it inside and out before just giving up, if its that steep of a curve.

hteng

Banned
Why does the music sound like its right out of the EA SSX trailers...wow.

The game is that difficult? alone and to learn, guess Ill be with it awhile, hopefully I can make it through and learn it inside and out before just giving up, if its that steep of a curve.

well the story missions are definitely something you'll be having some trouble with, mainly because they are multi-section and long, there are some soft check points in between, and you can refill at certain points to ease up the difficulty. Still, it's pretty bullshit when there's like a bazzilion missiles chasing after you.

you can co-op online though, so that makes it easier. There are also many minor achievements you can get in the mission, like finding hidden equipments, killing a number of units, find hidden enemies..etc. So to get everything in one run is pretty much impossible unless you are insanely good.

KTallguy

Banned
The trailer was actually really well made, but wow at the wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub. Someone has been watching too many EA trailers. I guess the real soundtrack is too subtle for fans. But fans are gonna buy this anyway, they have to make it as accessible as possible. Ie. wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub

mujun

well the story missions are definitely something you'll be having some trouble with, mainly because they are multi-section and long, there are some soft check points in between, and you can refill at certain points to ease up the difficulty. Still, it's pretty bullshit when there's like a bazzilion missiles chasing after you.

you can co-op online though, so that makes it easier. There are also many minor achievements you can get in the mission, like finding hidden equipments, killing a number of units, find hidden enemies..etc. So to get everything in one run is pretty much impossible unless you are insanely good.

Thanks for saving me some money!

So the single player campaign has even more bullshit than For Answer's? :\

KTallguy

Banned
Wha...? I haven't played all of the campaign yet, but so far I haven't really found it too difficult. If you get blown up and restart from a checkpoint, they even restock your armor and weapons to the max level, not even saving what you had at the checkpoint. If there are a bazillion missiles flying at you, you need a better booster or should dodge behind a wall.

The hardest mission so far was an enemy AC who was very fast and aggressive. I did play co-op to take it down. But if I had tried probably SP would have been possible.

Will a game save from For Answer bring anything across in terms of unlockables? I remember reading about it in an interview few months back.

hteng

Banned
Will a game save from For Answer bring anything across in terms of unlockables? I remember reading about it in an interview few months back.

nope, they are completely different games. I have the JP version of ACFA and ACV, they don't carry over anything. You'll have to go in new like everyone else, the controls are fundamentally different.

1 week to go! you guys excited?!

Top Bottom