• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

Lothar

Banned
At least you can skip the second level of Battletoads with a warp. I wonder if there would be any problems after that.

Some games with incompatible mappers should actually work by modifying the mapper data on the header. I got Micro Machines to work this way and am researching what other games will work.

valippo

Neo Member
hakchi2 developer confirmed he's working with the guy who found the exploit to improve and fix bugs of his tool. I'll wait till the new version is released.

Any one tried Star Wars? It boots OK but the first level is glitchy as all fuck. Invisible platforms and stuff killing you that you can't see.Bad ROM?

oo7

For those of you going up to 88-90, have you tried loading the thing full of game saves?

After I got the C8 error from having too many games on it (124). I reflashed the original kernel. It worked fine going back to the original 30. Took my installed games down to 90. Worked fine. Saved a new game save and got the c8 error again. Deleted the save and it worked fine. Going to take a few more games off to fix the issue. Gotta be hitting a limit or something.

Wait, so you restarted with the original and went back over 90 and it worked fine?

Nah, had to drop it back down.

Hakchi2 gave me a boatload of warnings from Windows Defender.
qon4isM.png

I decided to soldier through anyways, and when trying to install the NES Mini Driver, it says that it doesn't detect the NES Mini.

:(

Sanjuro

Sounds like it's going to be rough math.

*Not accurate number by any means*
60 Games w/Unlimited Saves
75 Games w/200 saves.

Something along those lines.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So it worked. Most games worked with a couple of exceptions.

FF2 translation (stuck at a blue screen)
Star Tropics 2 (stuck at register name)

Air Fortress (works so far but the title screen was buggy to hell and back)

-shadow-

I keep getting "Failed to read from pipe." whenever I try to install games on it for some reason. Can't figure out why it keeps throwing this message at me. Anyone got an idea?

OK - got it working. If you are having trouble with pipe read issues try this sequence.

close all windows for Hakchi2.

Unplug NES mini from PC USB port (but keep cable in back of NES mini)

Start Hackchi2

click upload games

wait for message entitled something like "waiting..." which outlines a few steps to take and has an "install" link at the bottom.

[MAKE SURE NES POWER IS OFF]

NOW - plug cable into PC USB port
press and hold reset on NES
press power on NES
release power button
release reset button
you should hear the windows "new device" chime. If not, it hasn't worked.
If you do hear the chime, message should disappear and it's all gravy from that point on.

repost

Robin64

Decided to stick to the original thinking that 60 was the max, to make myself pick the ones I really want on there. (Though now I gather StarTropics 2 doesn't work, so I'll need to replace that)

EFMCX7R.png

I managed to get through the second level of Battletoads, but I had to keep quick saving my progress in order to do it. I'd just reload each time the game froze up and continued my progress. I think it froze twice at different points.

SheHateMe

Has anyone replaced one of the original games with an updated version?

For example, I'm not fighting no Mr. Dream. I want to fight Mike Tyson. Can you replace that one without taking up another slot?

This way, I can put 48 games up here and not have to worry too much about picking and choosing.

Robin64

Has anyone replaced one of the original games with an updated version?

For example, I'm not fighting no Mr. Dream. I want to fight Mike Tyson. Can you replace that one without taking up another slot?

This way, I can put 48 games up here and not have to worry too much about picking and choosing.

Yep. Some people in this thread have already replaced Punch-Out with the Mike Tyson one, and Tecmo Bowl with the latest roster hacked in.

Has anyone compiled a list of letters/numbers/symbols that aren't recognized? I know lowercase J' and Z's and ampersands aren't. And numbers after 3? Anything else?

oo7

I keep getting "Failed to read from pipe." whenever I try to install games on it for some reason. Can't figure out why it keeps throwing this message at me. Anyone got an idea?

See http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=227858097#post227858097

MyEpitomeCliché;227888795 said:
Has anyone compiled a list of letters/numbers/symbols that aren't recognized? I know lowercase J' and Z's and ampersands aren't. And numbers after 3? Anything else?

I know 1,9,4 do not work because 1943 shows up as "3".

Is this fully compatible with the Family Computer Classic? Interface looks better. Also, can you mod it better controllers?

-shadow-

Managed getting a couple of games on the system and works like a charm. But man that epileptic filter is really, really aggressive in Castlevania 3. Whenever I get one of those crosses the entire screen just freezes for a second in bright white and has a circular fade in. I'm fine with the filter, but it's a bit of an overkill...

Edit: I managed to get it using that post. Loving this!

This would be nice along with a list of compatible games.

Chucker

I have 4, 5, and 6 showing up in my Mega Man section. 194 doesn't show up in 1943 though.

jmizzal

Sweet!

Is it easy to do from hakchi2 or do I need to use the original way to replace games?

I didnt replace the games I just added Mike Tyson Punch out and Super Tecmo bowl with the 2017 rosters.

You can delete games, I dont know how to delete games I didnt look it up

And now i'm about to add the Marvel NES games

daxgame

Hey guys, tried a quick search but couldn't find a definitive answer.
I have hakchi2 but it doesn't seem possible to remove single games yet, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

I have 87 games currently and saved a slot in Jackal.
Unplugged the power and turned it back on, save was still there. Seems like fuzzy math.
You misunderstand. What he's saying is every game you add removes a save slot. For example with 30 games you get 120 slots. Divide that among 30 games and that's 4 slots per game. If you add one more game you will have 119 slots which means you could have 29 of those games with four slots and then the remaining two games could split the remaining 3 slots or maybe the 30th game gets three saves and the 31st gets none. It's a pool that all games share and you won't see the problem until you've utilized all the slots with actual data.

Chucker

You misunderstand. What he's saying is every game you add removes a save slot. For example with 30 games you get 120 slots. Divide that among 30 games and that's 4 slots per game. If you add one more game you will have 119 slots which means you could have 29 of those games with four slots and then the remaining two games could split the remaining 3 slots or maybe the 30th game gets three saves and the 31st gets none. It's a pool that all games share and you won't see the problem until you've utilized all the slots with actual data.

So I did. I should have about 19 slots total, I certainly don't have 19 states, that explains that.

Nairume

Banned
Since I don't trust myself to keep track of a small amount of save states, I went ahead and flashed back to the original state and then reupdated it to just have an extra 20 games. I'll probably never use more than one save state if any for a few of the more basic NES games, so I'll have to worry less about keeping track of how many open save slots I have before running into trouble.

hakchi2 developer confirmed he's working with the guy who found the exploit to improve and fix bugs of his tool. I'll wait till the new version is released.

Good news since I have seen the youtube videos of how to install this and its way too complicated for me..I like something like an iPad Jailbreak, plug it in, press a button and boom its installed..so far from everything I have seen its way too difficult and complicated to install so will wait

I'd definitely add more sports titles such as double dribble, RBI baseball, RC pro am, super tecmo, pro wrestling and my Favorite sports simulation game, baseball stars

oo7

Good news since I have seen the youtube videos of how to install this and its way too complicated for me..I like something like an iPad Jailbreak, plug it in, press a button and boom its installed..so far from everything I have seen its way too difficult and complicated to install so will wait

Literally....simple!

Does the mini have a warranty? My wife is hesitant to let me go through with this out of fear of voiding it.

First thing it does is create a backup of the original code. So if all else fails you can always revert back to that.

Top Bottom