• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

I see we're back to the "why bother with the hacks, buy a Pi instead." posts. Dunno why this discussion is here and not in the pi or other emulation threads.

This thread is about hacking the NES Mini. If you think that is a waste of time, good luck to you, but please don't keep reposting the same stuff over and over again. It's been mentioned many times in this thread already.

jmizzal

I see we're back to the "why bother with the hacks, buy a Pi instead." posts. Dunno why this discussion is here and not in the pi or other emulation threads.

This thread is about hacking the NES Mini. If you think that is a waste of time, good luck to you, but please don't keep reposting the same stuff over and over again. It's been mentioned many times in this thread already.

Yea mods already said to cut that out in this thread, if people want a pie they will get one, let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.

BriGuy

Still have my fingers crossed for seamless SNES integration. Retro arch has a hot mess of a user-interface. I appreciate having options, but not when it requires a PhD to figure out how to navigate through them all.

Chucker

Yea mods already said to cut that out in this thread, if people want a pie they will get one, let people enjoy what they want to enjoy.

Eh... it's getting a little different now.
They're just slapping Retroarch on the NESC, I'd argue at that point you should indeed just get a PI.

I'm all for more functionality, even launching unsupported mapper games through RetroArch right from the UI and the such, but as of now, in order to run RetroArch you need to hide all games and you're limited to something like 30 megs.

To be fair, the direction of the mods themselves seem to have gone to "lets make this a retropie machine with limitations". It's still a nice looking box and the controller is official, but retroarch launching via that awful RGUI is very outdated. That said my criticism is more towards the direction of the mods than "just get a pi" at this point.

Type40

Is there anything that has the classic controller port and actually looks like a SNES Pad? Because the 8bitdo controller has only USB.

Yes Nintendo made this for club Nintendo in Japan.
snes-wii-controller.jpg

Yes Nintendo made this for club Nintendo in Japan.
snes-wii-controller.jpg

Low price of $60 it can be yours.

If you want a SNES style pad you can opt for the often ~$10-20 Wii Classic Controller *bottom pic (my favorite, dogbone shape) or Wii Classic Controller Pro *top pic (similar basic design with Playstation style grips)

classic-controller-pro-impressions-20100413021758854-000.jpg

Bonus is no need to hack a shortcut to the main menu.

Lemaitre

Banned
To be fair, the direction of the mods themselves seem to have gone to "lets make this a retropie machine with limitations". It's still a nice looking box and the controller is official, but retroarch launching via that awful RGUI is very outdated. That said my criticism is more towards the direction of the mods than "just get a pi" at this point.

I don't get the criticism.

What if you just enjoyed the Nes Classic and love the fact you can play more total games on it? I don't want to have to spend more money to buy a Pi. I bought the Nes Classic for the aesthetic, and if I can play more games from more consoles all the better. It takes me a few extra seconds to launch a game via Retroarch. It really isn't a big deal, nor difficult at all.

Besides, people have shown that launching games via the main Nes Classic menu will be possible in the near future. This is just for people that want a jump on extra emulation, myself included.

Anyways, I played some Super Mario Kart tonight with friends and it was awesome. Also played some Contra: Hard Corps and it was great as well. I had played Contra III but never Hard Corps for the Genesis. Also have enjoyed playing Sonic 2 again.

Still have my fingers crossed for seamless SNES integration. Retro arch has a hot mess of a user-interface. I appreciate having options, but not when it requires a PhD to figure out how to navigate through them all.

It really is not difficult at all to use Retroarch. I can sort of understand the hyperbole but it doesn't take more than a few seconds to launch games from multiple emulators.

Type40

Low price of $60 it can be yours.

If you want a SNES style pad you can opt for the often ~$10-20 Wii Classic Controller *bottom pic (my favorite, dogbone shape) or Wii Classic Controller Pro *top pic (similar basic design with Playstation style grips)

classic-controller-pro-impressions-20100413021758854-000.jpg

Bonus is no need to hack a shortcut to the main menu.

I gladly paid 60 for mine, it runs circles around those other two. That first wii classic controller is the worst controller Nintendo made.

Lemaitre

Banned
I gladly paid 60 for mine, it runs circles around those other two. That first wii classic controller is the worst controller Nintendo made.

Never used the offical Club Nintendo SNES controller but 8bitdo's wireless SNES controller feels amazing and works beatifully on the Nes Classic too for $30 new.

Edit: You'll need 8bitdo's Nes controller & dongle for the Nes Classic/Wii/Wii U that will set you back another $30 though so I can see why the Club Nintendo controller is still a reasonable purchase.

JP

This is more of a NES/Famicom question than an emulation question but I'm sort of interested in how people feel about this. Super Mario Bros. 2, how do people label this when adding it? Lost Levels? USA?

For me it's/they've always been...
Famicom Disk System - "Super Mario Bros. 2" (I do know that it's actually 'Brothers' in Japan rather than 'Bros'.
NES Release - "Super Mario Bros. 2 USA"

It's strange because I've never thought of them as anything else apart from how I've listed them here so anything else just confuses the hell out of me. Obviously, I have also put Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic on the Mini and just left it as it is. I do think the Mario version is superior in many ways but I do prefer the original characters.

Thud

This is more of a NES/Famicom question than an emulation question but I'm sort of interested in how people feel about this. Super Mario Bros. 2, how do people label this when adding it? Lost Levels? USA?

Famicom Disk System - "Super Mario Bros. 2" (I do know that it's actually 'Brothers' in Japan rather than 'Bros'.

It's strange because I've never thought of them as anything else apart from how I've listed them here so anything else just confuses the hell out of me. Obviously, I have also put Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic on the Mini and just left it as it is. I do think the Mario version is superior in many ways but I do prefer the original characters.

I labeled mine with lost levels, because it's basically an expansion of smb.

Doki doki panic is already half a mario game with its sprites, tilework and mechanics. I'm actually not surprised it became smb 2.

SMB2J
SMB2USA

D.Lo

Japanese versions:
Super Mario Brothers 2
Super Mario USA

US/PAL versions
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels

They're the official names, it just depends on national context.

JP

Differences of opinion when it comes to those games, having the games listed in the order that I want them to be ordered in affects how I label them when I add them to the NES Classic.

A really nice custom setup which is achievable if you're willing to take a bit more of a hands on approach to the artwork, similar customisation options are on the way with hakchi2.12.

NESCE (YouTube)

There's a bit too much messing that doesn't make any sense to me at the moment, I think I'll just wait. 😉

JP

honeylab (17th February) said:
first step to NESC into USB Host-mode

First success.
NESC recognize USB Flash drive(but custom compiled kernel)
Many kernel compile option are imcompatible with original NES Kernel.
But this is a first step to use USB Device.

20170217152152.png

honeylab's blog

From the latest build notes for the upcoming hakchi2 release
ClusterM said:
=== Music Hack ===

This module allows to disable NES Mini's menu music or replace it with your own music.

Just replace "music.wav" file if you want to hear your own music in the menu of NES Mini. It must be in PCM format.
hakchi2/user_mods/music_hack.hmod/

ramparter

Banned
Yup it was really but, no grip, cord below, zr, zl buttons.. I only used it once for VC then went back to using the GC pad.

He's gotten retroarch to use the gui properly? Superb.

How is the retroarch nes core compared to Nintendulator/Mesen these days? Is it a Nestopia core?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
супер!

To bad it has only 512mb of storage
Maybe the can hack a hdd to it

Robin64

I love what's been done here, but I can't help but feeling now that we are just in Pi territory. Earlier in the thread, people were all "Why not just get a Pi?" and getting shot down, because we had a cool unique NES machine here. You could load a few of your own most loved games on and it was neat. Now with Retroarch on here, being able to change the UI music, load over 900 games on, and all that stuff... Why not just get a Pi?

I still want a NES Mini, but yeah, I'll be just adding 30 of my fave NES games to the existing 30 and calling it a day.

(From a purely "look what we can do with this", though, this is all awesome!)

FinKL

Looking real sexy. SNES and N64. Sign me up!

I'm happy with NES games but this hits it out of the park.

I got the BIGGEST hit of nostalgia thinking back of NES games I used to play yesterday and one thing that would be a hit for me and my kid is the NES Power Pad and Track and Field games. Unfortunately, I can't find a replica (bluetooth) power pad and all I'm seeing are DDR dance mats. I might bite the bullet and get an old used one and see if I can pad hack bluetooth functionality since I have the 8-bitdo bluetooth receiver already...

I love what's been done here, but I can't help but feeling now that we are just in Pi territory. Earlier in the thread, people were all "Why not just get a Pi?" and getting shot down, because we had a cool unique NES machine here. You could load a few of your own most loved games on and it was neat. Now with Retroarch on here, being able to change the UI music, load over 900 games on, and all that stuff... Why not just get a Pi?

I still want a NES Mini, but yeah, I'll be just adding 30 of my fave NES games to the existing 30 and calling it a day.

I mean doesn't some of the original arguements hold true? the NES form factor, official nintendo hardware, UI, and HDMI?

Robin64

I mean doesn't some of the original arguements hold true? the NES form factor, official nintendo hardware, UI, and HDMI?

Sure, I guess, but now we have a machine with a NES form factor that isn't just a NES? Still cool, sure. But I'd rather get an official SNES Mini when it comes for SNES games.

Chucker

Would fan translations and earthbound zero work too?
They currently work. I have EB0 and Fire Emblem on mine.

I used to be in the "it's different" camp.
It's not anymore. I like where it's going, but I also have a Pi3. I'll probably slap 2 or 3 SNES and 2 or 3 GEN games on it and keep the rest NES games.

JP

NES Mini Classic, let me introduce you to SNES Mini Classic...sort of.

I'm so ready for this now.

Before anybody asks why I didn't just get a Raspberry Pi type device if I was going to do this. The first one was bought simply because of what it was although I was happy that I could change some of the games on it hen that happened. I bought the second NES Mini for the kids and installed games that would be better for them to play and it's a lovely little self contained unit which allows them to just select a game to play it.

I always had the intention of using the second one exclusively as a SNES Mini when it was possible to do that natively from the home screen, at least until an official SNES Mini is released.

Perhaps strangely, now that the kids are interested in older games I am actually now considering also getting a Raspberry Pi for other systems. I'd still keep these two systems as I do believe that having too many games on system can mean that they won't get played as much, I really do prefer to curate the systems so that the included games have been selected because they are bloody good games.

Does that make sense? It does to me. One of the things with "games" is that it doesn't always have to be logical, sometimes it's emotional and things are correct because that's just how you want them to be. You see that happen a lot on here, people do thing because it's correct for them on an emotional level even though it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to anybody else. 😊

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
NES Mini Classic, let me introduce you to SNES Mini Classic...sort of.

I'm so ready for this now.

Before anybody asks why I didn't just get a Raspberry Pi type device if I was going to do this. The first one was bought simply because of what it was although I was happy that I could change some of the games on it hen that happened. I bought the second NES Mini for the kids and installed games that would be better for them to play and it's a lovely little self contained unit which allows them to just select a game to play it.

I always had the intention of using the second one exclusively as a SNES Mini when it was possible to do that natively from the home screen, at least until an official SNES Mini is released.

Perhaps strangely, now that the kids are interested in older games I am actually now considering also getting a Raspberry Pi for other systems. I'd still keep these two systems as I do believe that having too many games on system can mean that they won't get played as much, I really do prefer to curate the systems so that the included games have been selected because they are bloody good games.

Does that make sense? It does to me. One of the things with "games" is that it doesn't always have to be logical, sometimes it's emotional and things are correct because that's just how you want them to be. You see that happen a lot on here, people do thing because it's correct for them on an emotional level even though it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to anybody else. 😊

as cool as this may look we both know that we are going to get the snes mini when it launches anyway,

JP

as cool as this may look we both know that we are going to get the snes mini when it launches anyway,
Definitely, I fully intend to pre-order as soon as I'm able to.

I do get the feeling that the SNES hardware will be identical to the original version but with a different UI and in a different shell. It'd be nice if they increased the memory but it'll be a lot cheaper for them to carry on running out the same boards.

Moofers

I am new to all of this stuff and just started tinkering with my NES Classic this past weekend. One question:

How do I get art for each game in place of those blank cartridges?

Top Bottom