• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question about save states on Nestopia, SNES9x and Genesis.

I can make a save state and load it during a game. But when I exit the game back to the Home Menu and then come back to it, and try to reload the state, it doesn't work. It won't reload.

Is that a known thing? I can get the sram saving to work with all the games, but not the save states. Normal? Doesn't work for those three emulators. I can save/reload on the initial load of the game, but if I exit out and come back to the game, doesn't load any states.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Question about save states on Nestopia, SNES9x and Genesis.

I can make a save state and load it during a game. But when I exit the game back to the Home Menu and then come back to it, and try to reload the state, it doesn't work. It won't reload.

Is that a known thing? I can get the sram saving to work with all the games, but not the save states. Normal? Doesn't work for those three emulators. I can save/reload on the initial load of the game, but if I exit out and come back to the game, doesn't load any states.

Update to my question in case anyone else has similar issues. I put the NES back to factory reset, then reinstalled all the modules with the SNES9x2005 version and made sure there were < 35 titles (GB, NES, Genesis, SNES) games in each folder. Suspend points within the NES Home menu now work for all the systems.

ParityBit

How do you make new folders?

I am just trying to add a couple + the original 30 and I have 40 games. But I read I should put them in folders/etc.

I am just trying to mess around a little right now. I did back up my Kernel and put it on a couple places (just in case)

DonMigs85

Still can't get Waku Waku 7 to start, and I already put neogeo.zip in its folder. Now I'm wondering how to navigate to that folder in retroarch because it's in a different grouping/cluster

What type of performance does the allwinner chip in this console have? Is it more powerful than like the intel atom z3735?

Is ps1 possible?

DonMigs85

What type of performance does the allwinner chip in this console have? Is it more powerful than like the intel atom z3735?

Is ps1 possible?
It's just Cortex A7 so it's not super powerful. It's roughly like the first gen Moto G. There is a PS1 emulator core yes, but most PS1 games are too big for its internal storage and there's no support for external drives just yet.

MTC100

Banned

Is ps1 possible?

Very unlikely I suppose, however I don't know the chip but it would surprise me if Nintendo didn't go with the cheapest Hardware possible, that so happens to be enough for SNES. You also need a dedicated GPU for the 3D Emulation.

But seriously if you're thinking about emulating PS1, then you'd most likely be better off with a rasberry or something more powerful to emulate everythinf up to WiiU.

Edit: So it's an A7 in there, might be able to emulate the PS1 UI I guess but not much else.

gloone

Very unlikely I suppose, however I don't know the chip but it would surprise me if Nintendo didn't go with the cheapest Hardware possible, that so happens to be enough for SNES. You also need a dedicated GPU for the 3D Emulation.

But seriously if you're thinking about emulating PS1, then you'd most likely be better off with a rasberry or something more powerful to emulate everythinf up to WiiU.

Edit: So it's an A7 in there, might be able to emulate the PS1 UI I guess but not much else.

It actually emulates some ps1 titles pretty good. The main problem is the lack of disk space on the unit itself. Most games emulated now are early titles with the soundtracks rippped out of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z34ZKvo__8

I emulated Medievil at a 100% speed. No framerate issues, no visual glitches, anything.

Shiggy

The hack works surprisingly well. My sister still knows everything about Super Mario Land 2.

Does the emulator also support Virtual Boy games? Tried Wario Land but it doesn't start.

A bit bummed that I cannot use the SNES and Wii Classic Controller at the same time due to the plastic clip.

Finally got lucky and snagged a Classic, arriving Monday. Already have a controller cord extension on the way as well.

Planning to turn it into a SNES/NES box. Been going through a lot of different controller options for the SNES games. Decided I really want something that looks like a SNES controller to keep up the aesthetic.

I think I've decided on buying an original SNES controller, pairing it with the Mayflash wii adapter. The original Mayflash SNES/NES -> Wii adapters didn't support the NES Classic, but a new revised v1.1 seems to from the reports I've seen. Really like the idea of switching between actual NES/SNES controllers depending on what game I'm playing.

Never modded anything before, but this seems like a fairly easy entry point. This thread has been helpful.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finally got lucky and snagged a Classic, arriving Monday. Already have a controller cord extension on the way as well.

Planning to turn it into a SNES/NES box. Been going through a lot of different controller options for the SNES games. Decided I really want something that looks like a SNES controller to keep up the aesthetic.

I think I've decided on buying an original SNES controller, pairing it with the Mayflash wii adapter. The original Mayflash SNES/NES -> Wii adapters didn't support the NES Classic, but a new revised v1.1 seems to from the reports I've seen. Really like the idea of switching between actual NES/SNES controllers depending on what game I'm playing.

Never modded anything before, but this seems like a fairly easy entry point. This thread has been helpful.

Sweet! Report back when you try put that mayflash adapter, I'm curious what you think of it. I'm happy with Wii Classic Pro for now. They feel great and have a home button. The only knock is you can't switch B/A to Y/B for NES games unless you just run them through Retroach instead of the actual NES classic emulator.

That's annoying because I have one of those early versions, I think.

Just updated to 2.15 from an older version.

Is there an idiots guide to installing Retroarch by any chance?

Download https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover/releases/tag/0.7
you want "retroarch_with_cores"

Drag in onto hakchi

Each game has a "command line arguments" section, you need to add --retroarch to the arguments, then update.

Then play the game and it will use retroarch (you will notice as it will flash grey for a second. If there are emulation issues click start+select to change core.

Bear in mind the emulation is still not perfect though as games like Elite don't run correctly on any cores. May be a retroarch issue specifically, as I'm sure it worked fine the last time I used nestopia (Which one of the NES cores is based on), which is years ago as it's no longer the best nes emulator.

shaneskim

Download https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover/releases/tag/0.7
you want "retroarch_with_cores"

Drag in onto hakchi

Each game has a "command line arguments" section, you need to add --retroarch to the arguments, then update.

Then play the game and it will use retroarch (you will notice as it will flash grey for a second. If there are emulation issues click start+select to change core.

Bear in mind the emulation is still not perfect though as games like Elite don't run correctly on any cores. May be a retroarch issue specifically, as I'm sure it worked fine the last time I used nestopia (Which one of the NES cores is based on), which is years ago as it's no longer the begst nes emulator.

Thank you. Will give this a go!

I added Super Metroid to the NES classic and experienced quite a few weird artifacts with the sprites during the research station escape. Has anyone else experienced this?

Robin64

New Dizzy game, and it works perfectly on NES Mini! :D

C86EsjtWAAU-QNO.jpg

C86EsjtWsAAVTEu.jpg

http://yolkfolk.com/mwd/

TLZ

Banned
Posting this here as well for attention:

Sorry I'm posting this here as I don't see a thread for Australian stock.

I was in Rouse Hill (NSW) and found stock at Target and was surprised.

Just letting my fellow Ozs know if anyone's around that area.

Unsure how long they're there though so be quick.

McCHitman

Banned
Lol at people wondering why anyone would be interested in adding more value to a good quality, nice looking HDMI NES.

Also I hope you can do this with the Famicom Mini, I won't be able to buy a NES Mini anytime soon :(

I have 2 extra NES Minis. Wanna trade?

DonMigs85

How exactly can I make a Neo Geo game start directly from the list? Do I need to put neogeo.zip inside the game's zip file?

dock

Just did a clean install of 2.15 with retroarch added. but I'm having trouble with Genesis games. They all exit back to the menu. Any advice?

Gameboy, Master System and PCE stuff works great.

Just did a clean install of 2.15 with retroarch added. but I'm having trouble with Genesis games. They all exit back to the menu. Any advice?

Gameboy, Master System and PCE stuff works great.
I had the same issue. See if the command line for them to run is /bin/bin. It should be /bin/md instead.

Hakchi automatically adds stuff to the command line based on the file added, so if you're using a .bin file like old/binary dumps were for a lot of MD/Genesis games, it'll default to /bin/bin. The same thing happens with NeoGeo and CPS2 games.

Me? now I'm still trying to figure out how to get Akumajo Densetsu to not have the first letter of the menu items not be missing. I'm thinking I need to force Retroarch to use nestopia instead, but IIRC it defaults to FCEU and that definitely runs it normally on everything else.

crpav

I had an easy time modding the system and adding and playing NES, Gameboy and Sega Master System games(well the ones I loaded) but not sure I have a desire to attempt more advanced systems like SNES, Genesis and others. I installed the needed mods but dont' want to dig out my Wii Classic controller or other controller and then have to map the buttons and all tat hassle. Not to mention the overly complicated sounding things to make them run. I just want to load them and play them.

DonMigs85

I had an easy time modding the system and adding and playing NES, Gameboy and Sega Master System games(well the ones I loaded) but not sure I have a desire to attempt more advanced systems like SNES, Genesis and others. I installed the needed mods but dont' want to dig out my Wii Classic controller or other controller and then have to map the buttons and all tat hassle. Not to mention the overly complicated sounding things to make them run. I just want to load them and play them.
Wat. SNES and Genny games work fine and automatically map to the Classic Controller.

Me? now I'm still trying to figure out how to get Akumajo Densetsu to not have the first letter of the menu items not be missing. I'm thinking I need to force Retroarch to use nestopia instead, but IIRC it defaults to FCEU and that definitely runs it normally on everything else.

I had that same issue with Akumajo Densetsu. I managed to fix it. Do you happen to have a classic controller or a controller with L and R buttons? If so, start up Akumajo Densetsu and press L+R+Select+Start simultaneously to bring up the FCEU quick menu. In the menu go to Quick Menu > Options > Crop Overscan. Disable Crop Overscan. Then press that same button combination you pressed at the beginning to exit the Quick Menu.

If you don't have a controller with the necessary buttons, let me know and I will try to figure out another way you can change that option.

How do CPS2 games run? I've been trying to get marvel vs Capcom to run on the newest release and just have no luck. Icon show up. But pressing a takes me inand dumps me back into the menu

DonMigs85

How do CPS2 games run? I've been trying to get marvel vs Capcom to run on the newest release and just have no luck. Icon show up. But pressing a takes me inand dumps me back into the menu
There's a trick to getting these zips recognized by Retroarch, otherwise you have to boot Retroarch and manually load the zip file from there

I had that same issue with Akumajo Densetsu. I managed to fix it. Do you happen to have a classic controller or a controller with L and R buttons? If so, start up Akumajo Densetsu and press L+R+Select+Start simultaneously to bring up the FCEU quick menu. In the menu go to Quick Menu > Options > Crop Overscan. Disable Crop Overscan. Then press that same button combination you pressed at the beginning to exit the Quick Menu.

If you don't have a controller with the necessary buttons, let me know and I will try to figure out another way you can change that option.

Oh crap. I didn't think of that. I'll try it when I get home. I usually use a CCP for playing everything because it's far more comfortable than the NES one; nostalgia be damned.

I added new games months ago but haven't really played them. I'm building a little retro pi machine out of a raspberry pi. Is there any way to just reinstall "stock firmware" or something? Now that it's discontinued I want to get it back to its original setup for collection purposes.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I added new games months ago but haven't really played them. I'm building a little retro pi machine out of a raspberry pi. Is there any way to just reinstall "stock firmware" or something? Now that it's discontinued I want to get it back to its original setup for collection purposes.
Yeah that option is in the program. Just click the top ribbon, you'll see it there. There's not that many options, click till you find it.

spock

Grabbed one off ebay thats arriving tomorrow. I was wondering, are any of the wii classic controller clones decent or is best to just go with used originals?

Top Bottom