• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

My guess is Nintendo is going to release a new revision of this thing to block the exploit. The value of this initial batch is going to skyrocket.

Yup, this is the easy mode of the hack. No 60 limit either.

Glad this came out on a snow day.

Is there a limit anywhere above 60? Could I throw another 50 on there for example? With Boxart?

Impotaku

Managed to get it working but anyone any idea how to get it to display the kanji in game titles? i paste the game title into hackchi and it appears fine but when it's flashed into my famicom mini the only text displayed is the kana all the kanji are missing in the titles.

Robin64

Managed to get it working but anyone any idea how to get it to display the kanji in game titles? i paste the game title into hackchi and it appears fine but when it's flashed into my famicom mini the only text displayed is the kana all the kanji are missing in the titles.

There are a lot of characters the built-in NES Mini font just lacks.

Impotaku

There are a lot of characters the built-in NES Mini font just lacks.

So you are saying that only certain Kanji were added into the font list just for the games that were planned to be built in? would make sense.

Now trying to figure out how on earth to get a fds rom working as i know the thing can play them as it goes into fds mode when i boot up the built in zelda. Hackchi2 doesn't accept fds files, sure i could add the us kid icarus in but i want to keep it all japanese plus i like the art on my palutena disk.

My guess is Nintendo is going to release a new revision of this thing to block the exploit. The value of this initial batch is going to skyrocket.

I don't think that they will and they really shouldn't bother if you ask me. It's not like you can purchase additional games for it, and people who download NES ROMs illegally have millions of other means to play them. You paid for the hardware, so they don't lose anything.

Nekofrog

Banned
My wife spent a week going out every morning at like 7am trying to get a classic when it came out and eventually got one, modded it for her today with just a few clicks. Nintendo done goofed...

You won't brick it. Just use the tool posted on GBATemp.

Yeah, the tool is literally a few clicks and you're done.

try this for NES not found error

Keep cable plugged into back of NES
turn off NES
unplug USB from PC
plug USB into PC
press and hold reset on NES
press power on NES
release power button
release reset button
you should hear the windows "new device" chime. If not, it hasn't worked. Only works one of my five usb leads ffs

Nintendo should embrace this hack and use it themselves to allow owners to plug their minis into a computer and install new games they can buy.

Or, you know, be tools and shut it down while continuing to provide little to no alternative to playing some of the other classics beyond their virtual console drip feed service with its limited library and spread across their various consoles.

The NES classic should have always had virtual console additions as an option. Give us one simple device to play all the classics. Why won't anyone do this?

Wow, adding games using that hakchi tool was staggeringly easy.

No more digging out the actual NES and its carts for me. This is pretty much what I wanted - NES form factor, except smaller and with no carts clogging up my shelving.

NES World Cup and Tecmo Super Bowl all day, every day.

Meh there are sooo many way to play your roms nowadays and cheaper and easier.I guess the only upside to this is accuracy to original its crazy that even Nintendo built in emulators are overshadowed by third party emulation.

radcliff

Is there an idiot's guide on how to do this? Because I desperately need one. I see some instructions in this thread, but most of it is over my head due to my complete lack of experience in hacking systems.

OK - got it working. If you are having trouble with pipe read issues try this sequence.

close all windows for Hakchi2.

Unplug NES mini from PC USB port (but keep cable in back of NES mini)

Start Hackchi2

click upload games

wait for message entitled something like "waiting..." which outlines a few steps to take and has an "install" link at the bottom.

[MAKE SURE NES POWER IS OFF]

NOW - plug cable into PC USB port
press and hold reset on NES
press power on NES
release power button
release reset button
you should hear the windows "new device" chime. If not, it hasn't worked.
If you do hear the chime, message should disappear and it's all gravy from that point on.

dock

Do FDS games with the extra audio work, like on the Famicom Mini?

Meh there are sooo many way to play your roms nowadays and cheaper and easier.I guess the only upside to this is accuracy to original its crazy that even Nintendo built in emulators are overshadowed by third party emulation.
I own a Raspberry Pi and a HTPC, and I think the NES mini is great. Much easier, and cheaper than a pi + case + controller.

What options are there?

I wonder if there is a way for the emulator to pass all these emulation accuracy tests. Or if they already did, they could publish the results. Every commercial VC emulator should take part really for credibility's sake

http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/NESAccuracyTests.html

I would be curious about this too. There have been people posting in these forums saying that the NES Classic has lower latency than a Raspberry Pi or any PC emulator that is plugged into a TV. I don't know where the sources on that are though... But if true, then it would be worth modding the system.

OmegaFax

I've only got access to a mac, am I out of luck regards getting this working?

You might need to use bootcamp. I spent a couple of hours trying to get it working in a Windows 7 virtual machine without any luck. These USB serial interfaces are finicky.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Using save states on retroarch sucks compared to the nes mini

F2 to save, F4 to load and some CTRL combo to switch slot isn't exactly rocket science. Wouldn't surprise me if you could set it up so it saves a state when you quit a game either and have it load up automatically

dock

F2 to save, F4 to load and some CTRL combo to switch slot isn't exactly rocket science. Wouldn't surprise me if you could set it up so it saves a state when you quit a game either and have it load up automatically
And from a couch with gamepad ? And loading saves via thumbnails?

shanafan

Someone earlier suggested the file is infected or was caught by windows defender. Can anyone confirm? I'd rather not have the Russians handing my emails
my browser history
over to Wikileaks.

You're fine. Review the thread for more details.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Still think this should have been an nes vc game Player tied to your Nintendo account, but without a proper account system, not possible.

BriGuy

And it will be hacked again.
Not short of cracking open the case and soldering wires. For the time being, Nintendo is literally giving you the cable to link the machine to a PC and transfer over games. If they revise the mini to use a proprietary power source, things are going to get tricky. Remember, this thing has no wi-fi, no SD disk card reader... it's just USB mini for power, HDMI for video, and two controller ports.

So, when they said it was impossible to add new games were they fibbing or just incompetent? Seems weird that this path was open and they actively decided against using it to sell more games.

So, when they said it was impossible to add new games were they fibbing or just incompetent? Seems weird that this path was open and they actively decided against using it to sell more games.

I'd wager there were plans to expand the games in the NES classic at some point that ended up being scrapped. Why else would they use micro USB?

Lothar

Banned

They want to sell you another NES Classic with 30 more games.

It's the same reason they didn't really put the best 30 games on this.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

This was always meant as a one-off thing. If they opened a webstore where you connect your NES Mini, you'd need to tie it into your Nintendo account, which would require an OS check system on the Mini, which would make it cost more, plus people would want their previous Virtual Console purchases to carry over, etc.

The super cheap price is a result of this thing being completely closed off, really.

I'd wager there were plans to expand the games in the NES classic at some point that ended up being scrapped. Why else would they use micro USB?

Could be the cheapest way to manufacture it for a worldwide launch. The Switch is powered by USB-C on the tablet and dock, right?

It's quite common now for low-powered TV add-on stuff to be powered my mini-USB - like the chromecast. So that could be the reason they used it.

edit: on reflection, above posts make sense.

Chucker

So with the hackchi2 tool you can go over 60 games? What's the limit?

After 90 I started getting random C8 errors.
I've pruned it down to 88 and had no issues, I figure I'm hitting the threshold though.
That being said, I'm happy with where these developments have gotten us, the only other thing I'd want is that seizure protection modded out. Ruins Ninja Gaiden 2, any time you get a Cross (Not Cross/Boomerang) in CV1/3 and even the title screen of Bump N Jump.

b3b0p

Now we just need an agreed upon 90 greatest NES games of GAF list and have a 90 weeks 90 game NES backlog blitz game thread.

StereoVsn

Now I want to get the stupid thing even more and I already built a new emulation machine out of alienware alpha.

Top Bottom