• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a lifelong (but merely casual) Street Fighter fan, don't feel like I have a place

TheYanger

Sure the execution of moves are harder but at its lowest level you don't even need to pull dp's off reliably. People have been playing fighting games for decades very casually with their friends, by effectively just 'button mashing' and still having fun. The issue is, you don't really get that level of play online.

Unlike in DOTA where you do have levels of play where people don't really know what they're doing.

I think you'd be surprised how decent the matchmaking is in Dota 2 really. I only started playing last year, and although I did have friends who already played. I didn't want to always burden them with my lack of skill/knowledge, so I played solo quite a lot. I always got matched with people who had a similar amount of time playing. Some people didn't seem to understand any of the mechanics, others probably played LoL or whatever before as they had more of a grasp, but over all it was a pretty good place to learn. First few games there was a few smurfs, but they get weaned out by the system.

Oh I don't disagree that people solo queue period, I know I do that kind of shit all the time, but I do think people don't get into these kinds of games without friends to play with. In a one on one competitive game that's a lot less likely - your friend being miles better than you is frustrating rather than encouraging, only when you're very close in skill is it a solid motivation for most people to keep fighting each other and getting better. With something like Dota we can play a few games, you can encourage and tell me what to do, and then if I'm trying to improve to keep playing with you I can solo queue when you're not around. It's a very different dynamic.

AZ Greg

I don't want to come off as elitist, but this is the same thing that happens with every new SF. Casuals get beat down then look for an excuse to abandon the game without looking bad. With SF5 it's easy since the game came out so barebones. "I can't believe there's no arcade mode, I'm out!" With SF4 it was "ugly art" or "3S was more my thing".

Capcom isn't trying to pander to the hardcore, they just know they're not going to run off two weeks later after getting bodied.

Crayon

I don't want to come off as elitist, but this is the same thing that happens with every new SF. Casuals get beat down then look for an excuse to abandon the game without looking bad. With SF5 it's easy since the game came out so barebones. "I can't believe there's no arcade mode, I'm out!" With SF4 it was "ugly art" or "3S was more my thing".

Capcom isn't trying to pander to the hardcore, they just know they're not going to run off two weeks later after getting bodied.

There's some truth to this.

TheYanger

Why the fuck would capcom care if people 'run off' when they've already bought the game? You don't want to come off as elitist, but that comment is the most elitist piece of trash in this thread. Nobody who is casual gives a single fuck about your precious online multiplayer, so go ahead and stick your fingers in your ears and wonder why SF5 is bombing.

Could just learn the game. It's not that hard and you can catch up if you practice the right stuff in 1-2 hours a day/week

Huh, so this is what it's like to read a post by someone that literally clicked a thread and didn't read a single word contained therein.

Csr

Why the fuck would capcom care if people 'run off' when they've already bought the game? You don't want to come off as elitist, but that comment is the most elitist piece of trash in this thread. Nobody who is casual gives a single fuck about your precious online multiplayer, so go ahead and stick your fingers in your ears and wonder why SF5 is bombing.

Huh, so this is what it's like to read a post by someone that literally clicked a thread and didn't read a single word contained therein.

They want people to not "run off" because they want to sell them dlc. Game as a service model and all that.

And yeah those comments make no sense, casuals usually don't want to seriously compete anyway they just want to have fun. Some people act like everyone should have the same reason for playing a game.

Uthred

You don't look elitist, you do look like you've missed the point or misread the majority of complaints in the thread. Casuals dont care about looking bad, they especially dont care about looking bad when theyre playing the AI which is one of the larger complaints in the thread. Capcom, with SFV, and I place no judgement either way, is pretty explicitly trying to cater to the hardcore. The stated reason for releasing it early was to match tournament schedules, etc. Their early defence of the game was entirely centred around "the initial release is for hardcore players".

paolo11

Is it really impossible to get better at the game?

I feel like you get out of it what you put in. It requires dedication but that shouldnt be considered a negative. If you only play a few hours one or two times every other week you won't ever learn anything,

I think if you wanted to be somewhat competitive online it takes playing almost every day to stay fresh and tune your reactions and build knowledge.

If That means you play less of other games think of it as a backlog blocker? Or money saving game?

It's not impossible, brother. I was a total noob on USF4 last year (Aug 2015 I started playing fighting games) and now I'm Gold rank on Sfv.

I work as well. Just take your time on this.

Top Bottom