• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a millennial I have never liked nor finished a Pokemon game, is it worth to keep trying now at 28 even if I don't care?

Kenpachii

Pretty sure Dave Chapelle said that if you ain't doing something by a certain age you just miss it.

Yea heard the same thing with music etc. Once u pass something like 28, next things will just not matter much to you anymore. U won't have much of a connection towards new stuff like u did with older stuff before that time.

Not sure if its true tho, but i can tell you music does nothing for me today anymore that's new, but i am a bit over that age already.

Yea heard the same thing with music etc. Once u pass something like 28, next things will just not matter much to you anymore. U won't have much of a connection towards new stuff like u did with older stuff before that time.

Not sure if its true tho, but i can tell you music does nothing for me today anymore that's new, but i am a bit over that age already.
Oh dear, I'll be 28 soon, and I'm already feeling the effects of some of that.
Alot of what I listen to is getting older and I've noticed.

Griffon

I can understand, 28 is borderline zoomer, many millennials are approaching 40.

The big pokemon media blitz was only for a short period of time, you had to be at the exact right age between 1999 and 2001. Myself I was slightly too old for it.

With that said, the first game (either original or GBA remake) is pretty good. And, no, it's never too late to discover a classic.

Last edited:
I only collected the cards in elementary school. Never liked the games. They’re the most simplistic turn based RPGs ever and I always thought they were boring. I always felt they were low effort compared to other games and they still don’t put effort into the games but they sell so whatever.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good God, the anti-Pokémon frat is getting almost on the same level of obnoxiousness as the fandom.
Some craaaaazy takes in here.

You know what, OP.
There isn’t a magical spell that will drag you in and force you to play every single Pokémon game in existence once you’ve played your first.
And it’s not like “Gotta catch ‘em all!” has to be taken literally. There is no gate in the games that prevents you from seeing the end if you don’t actually catch ‘em all.

So my suggestion is, pick any Pokémon game released on Switch (Arceus is its own thing and I haven’t played it, so I don’t know about that one) and see if it’s your thing. Might go for the Diamond/Pearl remakes to get a sample of how things were before the Switch generation. Let’s Go Evee/Pikachu is fine too, no matter what the hurr durr 30+ yo hardcore fans with no life say about it.
Try the games. See if you like them. If not, good. But don’t waste more of your time tracking down old hardware and software just to try Pokémon, and for the love of sanity don’t go emulate pre-DS Pokémon games. You’re guaranteed to not like Pokémon if you do that today. I like those, but I was there from the beginning, and even I dropped out way before the DS came out.

jigglet

Banned
Pretty sure Pokemon GO dating was a thing, we call this multitasking

https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/n...tinder-like-dating-app-for-pokemon-go-players

But to answer you, no. Pokémon has falling from the high's of our childhood, it's lacking creativity and evolution.

What relevance does creativity and evolution have for someone new to the series? If they have no point of reference, how would one judge something to be only a small step up from previous games? IMO any issues the modern games have is solely relevant to long time fans of the series.

Majukun

if you didn't like them until now, nothing is gonna change..in fact pkmn games get worse the older you get in my experience, since the target demo starts to get more and more apparent.

demonstr8

They're worse than ever. Sword and Shield practically became a visual novel with battles in the last 3rd of the game. Play Black/White and SoulSilver/HeartGold because it will probably never be as good as those again.

It really depends if it seems like a game you'd be interested in, I love Pokemon but like all games it's not something that 100% of people will love. However, there's no such thing as being "too old" for Pokemon (or any game for that matter). If you don't like it you don't like it, but it's not because you're too old

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Pokémon is a great mobile game but not a “must play” against other games its graphics don’t pay off.
Yellow Version 90S GIF

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Only good Pokemon game is Gold/Silver/Crystal and the associated remakes Heartgold and Soulsilver.

That's as good as it is going to get. The rest suck and should be ignored.

jigglet

Banned
oh you know, living up to modern standards.

Not this half assed basic childs game for full price. Grow up.

Grow up? Lmao. We debating about Pokémon here? This is some sorry shit mature man. I can’t stop giggling over your reply.

“Grow up” is seriously the counterpoint you have? LOL

Let me try something on that level:

“No, u r the poopy head!”

Ah, I feel we’re equals now.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I finished my only Pokemon game when I was about 32. It was the red one for the GBA, I didn't buy it it was laying around in the office so I just put it in my bag of carts. I used to travel this long 5 hour bus journey once a week on this long featureless stretch of highway before smartphones were a thing. I'd finished all my other RPGs so I just worked my way through that Pokemon game 10 hours a week for a couple of months.

It wasn't great but it filled the time. I didn't bother getting all the Pokemon, just finished the story. OP, it's not worth it if you've got anything better to play.

D-ray

If you found Legends: Arceus repetitive, then you better off the Pokémon franchise. Not saying that the previous entries are "mediocre" but the skeletal structure of the gameplay is kind of always the same.
However, since RPG isn't your gig (like me) but you might like a good story, you could play Pokémon Black/White. Is not that hard and there's a good plot.
Other than those too, just play something else man.

At 28, you should be out there trying to get laid, not playing Pokemon.

No Way Wow GIF by BrownSugarApp
Damn right. Omg the nerve of some people bruh.
Playing games? What is this? Kindergarden?

This mf should go and evade taxes like REAL grown men instead of playing Pokémon.
Omg society, people, poop.

200w.gif

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm playing B/W again and I'm enjoying it more than any 3D Pokemon game. Arceus was trash.
Well as I said most Pokemon games suck and offer nothing new(burnout maybe?). The 3D ones are among the worst. No other game has ever allowed a player to go to 2 full regions. Probably helps that Iwata worked on Gold and Silver.

Black and White has an interesting story for sure so I can see some enjoyment there.

But overall with the full Pokemon experience for me it doesn't get better then Gold and Silver.

I think for me Pokemon really went downhill with Sword and Shield and I just don't care about it.

If I had to pick another Pokemon game that wasn't Gold and Silver that I enjoy I'd give it to Pokken Tournament.

It really depends if it seems like a game you'd be interested in, I love Pokemon but like all games it's not something that 100% of people will love. However, there's no such thing as being "too old" for Pokemon (or any game for that matter). If you don't like it you don't like it, but it's not because you're too old
Pokémon is specifically designed for children.

That’s why I don’t get how adults complain all the time about the series lack of “innovation” when the games are not meant to stimulate and blow away your “adult brain” its meant for kids.

There target audience has been the same group for decades and they been successful in selling to that audience which is why the series hasn’t changed much over the years.

Filben

So I was 5 when the show was popular and everyone watched it including me but I never got to play the games because when I was a kid I used to find turn based rpgs to be boring, but now as an adult I tried Pokemon Arceus on the switch and it was addicting but around the middle, the game became too repetitive to me and stopped playing altogether it so I think I am too old to like Pokemon now and a franchise that I will never get into.
There are more monster hunting/farming/collecting games now than ever and if you have no emotional interest nor attachment to Pokemon and want a at least somewhat challenging game I'd recommend other games because Pokemon is easy as fuck. Is that is fine by you and you just want to casually collect monsters and have fights, go for it. Combat is pretty bare bones, however, by today's turn-based standard.

That's not to say Pokemon can't be charming or adorable. The characters and many Pokemon are cute and the whole environment and the locations are lovely (if you can look past very dated visuals).

If you find Arceus boring I'd recommend one of the "traditional" Pokemon games to give it a last try. If that's not for you, just move on. Just because it was a big thing for many around the millennium it doesn't mean it has to be for you.

Pokémon is specifically designed for children.

That’s why I don’t get how adults complain all the time about the series lack of “innovation” when the games are not meant to stimulate and blow away your “adult brain” its meant for kids.

There target audience has been the same group for decades and they been successful in selling to that audience which is why the series hasn’t changed much over the years.

Being accessible to children and being designed FOR children are two very different things. I see nothing in Pokemon that makes it any more "for children" than the majority of turn based JRPGs

Well as I said most Pokemon games suck and offer nothing new(burnout maybe?). The 3D ones are among the worst. No other game has ever allowed a player to go to 2 full regions. Probably helps that Iwata worked on Gold and Silver.

Black and White has an interesting story for sure so I can see some enjoyment there.

But overall with the full Pokemon experience for me it doesn't get better then Gold and Silver.

I think for me Pokemon really went downhill with Sword and Shield and I just don't care about it.

If I had to pick another Pokemon game that wasn't Gold and Silver that I enjoy I'd give it to Pokken Tournament.

Kanto was heavily cut down in Gold and Silver with far less interactivity. Johto was also the smallest region in any mainline pokemon game by a good margin. You technically never were able to go to two full locations. On top of that, the size of the worlds continued to generally grow larger over time. So, yes, you never got to return to a region in later games - the sizes and complexity of each world continued to grow.

Why play something you have no interest in, and don't like?
Pokemon aren't some remarkably amazing games. Maybe a few of the earlier ones are. They're just comfy, simple RPGs with neat little creatures.

april6e

Shouldn't you be old enough by now to realize that you don't need to do something if you don't like it? Go play the ten of thousands of other video game franchises out there.

recma12

I played OG Pokemon as a kid/teenager on my Gameboy.
Didn't touch a Pokemon game (or Nintendo console) for decades until Pokemon GO released and kinda got me back into Pokemon.

Was pretty excited to try the Switch Pokemon games but neither Let's Go or the one they released in 2019 really did anything for me.
The difficulty was just non-existent (you bring the right Pokemon to a Gym and one shot everything) and the collection aspect isn't interesting to me.

Not shitting on the games btw they just aren't for me

Back in the day, one of the main reasons pokemon was such a big deal was the social aspect of the game like trading pokemon, battling with friends and showing off the rare pokemon that you were able to get.

As a adult male, the last thing you want to be doing is playing Pokémon if you have any interest in keeping you girlfriend 😆.
No the gameplay of Pokémon is fun but only when it’s super challenging it hits that sweet spot of beer infinite choice that other rpgs don’t have but it becomes repetitive if the game is easy im playing following renegade platinum

If you didn't like it as a kid you definitely wont like it as an adult.

FYI people's tastes change as they grow older, there's plenty of reasons to get into Pokemon as an adult even if they never clicked with you as a kid. It's like saying you wouldn't like Zelda as an adult if you didn't like it as a kid

PSYGN

I wouldn't because it wouldn't live up to the hype. It was an awesome experience as a kid with nothing else to do. Nostalgia (which you wouldn't have) is partly to blame for the continued hype.

Last edited:
SMT is another monster collecting RPG and has like infinite times more choice than Pokemon has.
Not exactly with smt there is a set way the monsters can be unlike Pokémon and it’s not just movesets it can be abilities, evs, ivs, held items, the list goes on. Now of course the problem is vanilla games take advantage of basically none of this even on boss fights however romhacks like luminescent I’m currently playing do they Limit the real potential of these games to make it easier for kids

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So I was 5 when the show was popular and everyone watched it including me but I never got to play the games because when I was a kid I used to find turn based rpgs to be boring, but now as an adult I tried Pokemon Arceus on the switch and it was addicting but around the middle, the game became too repetitive to me and stopped playing altogether it so I think I am too old to like Pokemon now and a franchise that I will never get into.
At 28 years of age, a World War II soldier would be tuning his sniper rifle to attack the enemy outside his country... Not capturing some fantasy animals.

Last edited:
Not exactly with smt there is a set way the monsters can be unlike Pokémon and it’s not just movesets it can be abilities, evs, ivs, held items, the list goes on. Now of course the problem is vanilla games take advantage of basically none of this even on boss fights however romhacks like luminescent I’m currently playing do they Limit the real potential of these games to make it easier for kids

Demons in SMT have like double the moveset Pokemon have with merely 4 moves at any given time and you have 4 demons on the field. There is also a lot more room for customisability as you can grab 99% of moves from whatever demon you have the essence of whereas in Pokemon most moves are restricted and you have to get them from TMs you cant just get a pokemon essence and take your pick of what move you want a pokemon to learn from another pokemon.

Also Magatsuhi moves, miracles, the way crits work, turn passing, guard, items(nullifiers, gems etc) make it way deeper than pokemon.

Last edited:
Demons in SMT have like double the moveset Pokemon have with merely 4 moves at any given time and you have 4 demons on the field. There is also a lot more room for customisability as you can grab 99% of moves from whatever demon you have the essence of whereas in Pokemon most moves are restricted and you have to get them from TMs you cant just get a pokemon essence and take your pick of what move you want a pokemon to learn from another pokemon.

Also Magatsuhi moves, miracles, the way crits work, turn passing, guard, items(nullifiers, gems etc) make it way deeper than pokemon.
Rom hacks will also do more double or in Gen 5 hacks triple battles so the point of more characters also don’t apply

Top Bottom