• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer |OT| iOS Deck Building

Kosh said:
Yep, good game. During your last turn, you should have taken the 6 cost/point construct. The game was over at the end of your turn and it was the highest points you could have got.

I usually watch the total amount of victory points, it's starts at 60 for a two player game. For the first half of the game, I concentrate on building my deck with synergy cards no matter how many points they are worth. Then once the victory points hit half of what they started at, I just take the highest amount of points I can get with my current rune and power points. Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, I wasnt fully paying attention, and didnt notice it was the last turn, luckily that one move didnt cost me the game, haha.

But yeah, I dont really do too much synergy stuff, unless I get my hands on some good Mechana stuff. My main issue, is I have a hard time deciding if I want to hoard cards, or cut the lesser ones, so I end up doing something in the middle a lot, which isnt good. I also grab some stupid cards that dont seem very good, like Arha Initiate.

Edit: Also, I just added everyone, so more games!

That was a weird game Kosh! I didnt feel like I got anywhere in that game, and boom its done. I felt like I hadnt had a chance to actualy build anything yet, haha. Wicked close though, loads of fun.

This game needs a good patch to bring in some of the stuff thats in Carc though, chat, and better notifications. I dont want ELO yet though, I need more games under my belt first :p

Kosh

Ha! Was a close one, there. You stealing my Arbiter with the Duke sucked for me. Arbiter is hands down the best card in the game.

Kosh said:
Ha! Was a close one, there. You stealing my Arbiter with the Duke sucked for me. Arbiter is hands down the best card in the game.

Arbiter of the Precipice? really? It seems good, but I dont see how its the best in the game, I miss played that hand when I took it too, I was pretty pissed, I stupidly hit 'play all' right before doing that, and had to banish something I didnt want too.

Kosh

Nobiru said:
Arbiter of the Precipice? really? It seems good, but I dont see how its the best in the game, I miss played that hand when I took it too, I was pretty pissed, I stupidly hit 'play all' right before doing that, and had to banish something I didnt want too.

Arbiter is so good because of the card advantage it gives you. It does two things, allows you to draw cards, two of them, and it thins out your deck. This gets rid of your Apprentice and Militia cards, that way you're not drawing the worst two cards late in the game.

Ferrio

Banned
Kosh said:
Arbiter is so good because of the card advantage it gives you. It does two things, allows you to draw cards, two of them, and it thins out your deck. This gets rid of your Apprentice and Militia cards, that way you're not drawing the worst two cards late in the game.

Yep, getting it within the first two turns is brutal for your opponent. Get a seer with it, and you're golden. It really is way too OP.

Alright, one night of playing AI and I'm balls deep with like 10 games off my friends list. Too bad no ELO, but, will have at it.

Berksy

Stumpokapow said:
Just beat Orange AI 133-64. That's my best blowout yet.

Is there no red difficulty now or there was even one to begin with?
I somehow remember there was but can't choose it now.

Kosh

soldat7 said:
The bracket is showing me as having a loss but I haven't lost yet. Still waiting on Str0ngStyle!

That group part is over. You and I are playing in the bracket portion, which is two out of three. You're up 1 now in our match. That game was nuts, 75-75 and you got the win because I went first.

soldat7

Kosh said:
That group part is over. You and I are playing in the bracket portion, which is two out of three. You're up 1 now in our match. That game was nuts, 75-75 and you got the win because I went first.

Yeah great game btw. I snagged that Cannon right at the end by sheer luck.

Haha! Nice win galvatron/doc wily 64 - 63! I had some horrible luck on my last 2 turns to get basicaly no exciting cards, just the basic ones.

I love this game.

galvatron

Great games, Roodiculous. I was worried throughout the set. Getting 2 void initiates to start the 3rd game helped, but I wasn't sure if they'd be able to equal the arbiter you got soon after.

Game 1
Roodiculous: 56
Galvatron: 67

Game 2
Roodiculous: 75
Galvatron: 63

Game 3
Roodiculous: 59
Galvatron: 90

galvatron

Nobiru said:
Haha! Nice win galvatron/doc wily 64 - 63! I had some horrible luck on my last 2 turns to get basicaly no exciting cards, just the basic ones.

I love this game.

Yeah, I've been toying with the idea of controlling the center cards and it worked just well enough in those closing rounds.

Also, congrats to Astrolad for ending my multiplayer unbeaten streak.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
galvatron said:
Yeah, I've been toying with the idea of controlling the center cards and it worked just well enough in those closing rounds.

Also, congrats to Astrolad for ending my multiplayer unbeaten streak.
now if only that involved the satisfaction of knocking down a nice high elo!

mrkgoo

HAve been playing this and Dominion a lot recently.

Love the implementation of Ascension on iOS too, fantastically done - got a lot of things right.

I think overall, though, the randomness can be incredibly frustrating, particularly in 1v1 games. Like you go second, and P1 gets the best card, then you get left with weaker picks, and then the good pciks come up again fro the other player.

I guess the strategy there might be to not get the mediocre picks and let your opponent get them?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
mrkgoo said:
HAve been playing this and Dominion a lot recently.

Love the implementation of Ascension on iOS too, fantastically done - got a lot of things right.

I think overall, though, the randomness can be incredibly frustrating, particularly in 1v1 games. Like you go second, and P1 gets the best card, then you get left with weaker picks, and then the good pciks come up again fro the other player.

I guess the strategy there might be to not get the mediocre picks and let your opponent get them?
the strategy is -- you're screwed! it's like dominion when there's a strong 5 card on the board and your opponent gets a 5-2 split. some cards you can easily win >85% of the time if that happens. ascension is even more chancy though yeah

mrkgoo

AstroLad said:
the strategy is -- you're screwed! it's like dominion when there's a strong 5 card on the board and your opponent gets a 5-2 split. some cards you can easily win >85% of the time if that happens. ascension is even more chancy though yeah
Yeah.

I noticed that in dominion the 5-2 can win you the game... Or ruin you.

Thing I like about dominion is that aside from the chance in your shuffle (which isn't all that big a deal most of the time if you build your deck well), you mostly just go about your business with little frustration. monopoly is a high frustration game, for example, and Dominion feels fun even if you're losing. AScension sucks when you're losing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
lot of people criticize dominion as being basically just a solitaire puzzle game that you either win our lose at the outset when you determine the best combos after seeing the kingdom cards.

can't say that's totally wrong much as i like dominion :p

Good games today guys. I need to cut down on the matches though, haha. woke up today to it being my turn in 17 games of Ascension, and 9 in Carc.

Im slowly feeling like im developing a strategy in this game, and then I play a game against AstroLad or Kosh and get destoryed....haha.

Also, ive hit a weird point in a few games where ive run out of cards to draw from, and it really sucks, haha.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nobiru said:
Good games today guys. I need to cut down on the matches though, haha. woke up today to it being my turn in 17 games of Ascension, and 9 in Carc.

Im slowly feeling like im developing a strategy in this game, and then I play a game against AstroLad or Kosh and get destoryed....haha.

Also, ive hit a weird point in a few games where ive run out of cards to draw from, and it really sucks, haha.
i've got carc, ascension, yucata.de (pic below), and now even boiteajeux.net (agricola, alhambra) turns to deal with. :p and best of all i rarely take turns during the workday when i think most people take theirs so i full expect 40+ turns to be awaiting me when i get home this week. :p

ELps1.jpg

oh yeah, and i have real game night at work tomorrow too. har....

I have no idea what Yucata.de is....but after seeing that pic (and proceeding to poop my pants) I dont think I should find out :p

I think im getting in to a rut with this game though, I find myself grabbing mostly the same cards every game, I only break this rule if I can happen to get my hands on a bunch of Mechana constructs. The cards work sometimes, but I think im getting more losses than wins at this point (I wish I could tell what my win/loss is).

So do I change it up and throw out my current strat? or do I just start throwing in a few different cards each game, and see if I can make it work? haha

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nobiru said:
I have no idea what Yucata.de is....but after seeing that pic (and proceeding to poop my pants) I dont think I should find out :p
Browser-based online asynchronous board gaming. Tons of great stuff like Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers, Thunderstone, Stone Age, etc. etc.)

/digression

AstroLad said:
Browser-based online asynchronous board gaming. Tons of great stuff like Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers, Thunderstone, Stone Age, etc. etc.)

/digression

lalalala, I cant hear you! I dont have enough time for other stuff as it is!

After you destroy me in this game, I think im gonna take a REALLY hard look at the cards youve picked up, I check the logs as much as possible, and take a look at the end, but I need to delve into it more, figure stuff out better, haha.

Edit: Well....I dunno, this was a closer match at least, not seeing anything you grabbed that I wouldnt have, but its hard to remember which ones I could have grabbed, and what I took in there place though. You got your hand on couple more constructs which helps a lot.

Ferrio

Banned
So, does anyone like me forfeit when you know the game is going to be a shut out? You know when it's the first 5 turns, your opponent already has all the draw cards that have come up and you're not getting shit. You know the outcome of the game, so just fuck it already.

I do love the games that are really close though. The ones you're not sure who's winning until the end. Had quite a few ties here and there too.

fuuuuuu....

if you have no cards in your deck, and only 1 in your graveyard, dont play an Arbiter...haha, lost my Voidthirster that I just got! haha. I hope I dont lose by 3 points :p

edit: another loss to Bigwinnerx! haha 63-60 close match, your killin me today man. haha

Nobiru said:
fuuuuuu....

if you have no cards in your deck, and only 1 in your graveyard, dont play an Arbiter...haha, lost my Voidthirster that I just got! haha. I hope I dont lose by 3 points :p

edit: another loss to Bigwinnerx! haha 63-60 close match, your killin me today man. haha

I'll get crushed by you next time. Thanks for the close and quickly played matches.

bigwinnerx said:
I'll get crushed by you next time. Thanks for the close and quickly played matches.

No no, thank you for the quick matches! I think Ive played about 40 so far, and youve been in at least 10-15 of them :p

....ok so thats probably my doing, since I add you to more matches since your around to play a lot :p.

I really think that with chat and elo (or at least a win/loss) this would over take Carc for me, its sooo close to doing it already.

Edit: also they need too:

- make the out of game popups like the Carc ones
- make clicking said popups work like Carc ones
- add custom pictures like in Carc

galvatron

Ferrio said:
So, does anyone like me forfeit when you know the game is going to be a shut out? You know when it's the first 5 turns, your opponent already has all the draw cards that have come up and you're not getting shit. You know the outcome of the game, so just fuck it already.

No, though I've been tempted a few times. Probably for the best since I win a lot of the ones that I would be tempted to forfeit.

Why isn't the score displayed anyway? All players know all cards that have been acquired, so its not like I couldn't calculate it if I wanted my games to take 10x longer...

galvatron said:
Great games, Roodiculous. I was worried throughout the set. Getting 2 void initiates to start the 3rd game helped, but I wasn't sure if they'd be able to equal the arbiter you got soon after.

Game 1
Roodiculous: 56
Galvatron: 67

Game 2
Roodiculous: 75
Galvatron: 63

Game 3
Roodiculous: 59
Galvatron: 90

That last game was just awful for me, especially with 6 constructs stacked against me, no bueno. Good games!

AstroLad said:
i've got carc, ascension, yucata.de (pic below), and now even boiteajeux.net (agricola, alhambra) turns to deal with. :p and best of all i rarely take turns during the workday when i think most people take theirs so i full expect 40+ turns to be awaiting me when i get home this week. :p

Dear god! I thought my 18 games were bad (and counting with future boiteajeux games).

I have to apologize for my slow or lack of playing this week, I am on vacation and get like no signal here.

I should be playing back at normal speed next week.

Hmm... I've been tempted to try out a game like this on iOS. Now we need a Pokemon clone.

This has asynchronous gameplay?

DoctorWho said:
Hmm... I've been tempted to try out a game like this on iOS. Now we need a Pokemon clone.

This has asynchronous gameplay?
Yup! It's pretty good, although barebones. Those of us used to playing Carcassonne wish it had ELO and text chat, as well as a few more features to make it more asynchronous friendly.

octobot

Won the last match against oldmanhuffman. So for round one it was octobot 2-1.

Playedy matches vs Galvatron and just ended up winning 2-1. That third match was a tense affair (so was the first) some real close great games

Why is there always a hundred Sea Tyrants on the board when im rockin a bunch of Mechana constructs :p

like god damn clock work man!

edit: fffffuuuuu, close game Kosh. despite you destroying my Construct monopoly, I got a good turn in at the end, just enough!

I love this game so much. best 5 bucks ive spent in a long ass time.

Top Bottom