• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ash is in the final of the Pokémon Kalos League, can he finally win one for the land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If I want to read about a competent Pokémon trainer, would this be a good box set?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...931_em_1p_0_ti
(Price, good translation?)

they don't even do traditional league stuff there, so how would you even compare it (and personally it becomes garbage after Ruby Sapphire)

hell I'd argue if they were in XY's place they'd lose too

apparently people think losing the league = incompetence

Yesterday's episode must have been the perhaps best in the whole run of this show. Champion or not, this season has brought so much to the table, I'll be sad to see it end.

I'm still laughing at the comments of people who only popped out for the league. You'd think they'd be used to hearing Ash lose and somehow this magically makes it important. Oh but "you guys said this season is good!" as though apparently the greatness of a season hinges on the league only. Ironic when they probably only watch Kanto which has one of the worst league turn outs.

joetachi

What i still find hilarious is that people that watch the anime dont understand the reason people stopped watching the show. Its pretty simple i want the main character to change i dont really care if Ash is better of if he wins or not. The anime doesnt really live up to the games potential.

Joni

they don't even do traditional league stuff there, so how would you even compare it (and personally it becomes garbage after Ruby Sapphire)

hell I'd argue if they were in XY's place they'd lose too

apparently people think losing the league = incompetence

Joking about the competence, this was just the most convenient topic to see if the manga is worth it.

I dunno what episode I'm on now in my rewatch. Maybe 20 or 21. I just saw them reach the Battle Chateau. Seriously what the fuck is this show, they had an episode with some old couple fighting about soup and Chespin being caught in the middle of it that ends with the old man breaking his back trying to make his Delphox do Mystical Fire, an episode with the end goal being Froakie learning how to do a fucking quick attack, and then another episode with mind controlling Malamar who says its cry in the most goofiest way possible. They bothered to focus on the Snorlax and Parfum Palace plotline but couldn't be bothered to mention the King of Kalos or the weird Zekrom and Reshiram statues and had to go make some dumb ojou character.

The show is just spinning its wheels but I guess it's not that different from the games and the long gap between the first and second gyms. I will say that the one decent episode there has been was the Espurr and old mansion one. Pretty touching since rarely does the show address death.

Boss Doggie

Joking about the competence, this was just the most convenient topic to see if the manga is worth it.
it's only good early on but gets repetitive and senseless starting Diamond Pearl

I dunno what episode I'm on now in my rewatch. Maybe 20 or 21. I just saw them reach the Battle Chateau. Seriously what the fuck is this show, they had an episode with some old couple fighting about soup and Chespin being caught in the middle of it that ends with the old man breaking his back trying to make his Delphox do Mystical Fire, an episode with the end goal being Froakie learning how to do a fucking quick attack, and then another episode with mind controlling Malamar who says its cry in the most goofiest way possible. They bothered to focus on the Snorlax and Parfum Palace plotline but couldn't be bothered to mention the King of Kalos or the weird Zekrom and Reshiram statues and had to go make some dumb ojou character.

The show is just spinning its wheels but I guess it's not that different from the games and the long gap between the first and second gyms. I will say that the one decent episode there has been was the Espurr and old mansion one. Pretty touching since rarely does the show address death.

that's because that is the slow part of the anime, as they had to match the game parts there,
obviously this means they will have to put stuff in between as it was a load of nothing between the two gyms in the games, and even then I disagree in that those episodes are not really offensive (hilariously, the ones that are appear when XY has kicked in high gear)

as people said it starts slow especially with that gym 1 to 2 gap, but immediately goes into high gear the moment Korrina comes along (and even then her starting arc can be tedious due to how she steal the focus)

What i still find hilarious is that people that watch the anime dont understand the reason people stopped watching the show. Its pretty simple i want the main character to change i dont really care if Ash is better of if he wins or not. The anime doesnt really live up to the games potential.

I don't think no one here has that implication, dunno why you bring that up. Reminds me of NMS threads.

Stage On

Seeing the first new material from the new Sun and Moon anime today has me pissed all over again.

The ruined the league only to reset AGAIN, and I'm not talking about the typical reset they do between regions were Ash switches companions and has Pikachu go back to level 1 but like wiping the slate completely like they did with Best Wishs.

The new art style has Ash looking younger! And since their is no gyms you'd think they'd find something interesting for Ash to do but nope, he's going to school!!!! Talk about a total downgrade.

Look I know I'm 32 and not considered part of the main audience for the anime anymore. But after following along this far for literal decades could they not at least have the curtsy of giving me some proper closure before changing things up this drastically?

Banglish

Seeing the first new material from the new Sun and Moon anime today has me pissed all over again.

The ruined the league only to reset AGAIN, and I'm not talking about the typical reset they do between regions were Ash switches companions and has Pikachu go back to level 1 but like wiping the slate completely like they did with Best Wishs.

The new art style has Ash looking younger! And since their is no gyms you'd think they'd find something interesting for Ash to do but nope, he's going to school!!!! Talk about a total downgrade.

Look I know I'm 32 and not considered part of the main audience for the anime anymore. But after following along this far for literal decades could they not at least have the curtsy of giving me some proper closure before changing things up this drastically?

It's time to move on my friend.

MogCakes

The writers, directors, and executives at TPC have no intention of giving satisfaction to anybody but themselves, specifically their pockets. They don't care if kids are satisfied with the ending, they don't care about their fanbase, they certainly don't care to give older fans closure to a once-beloved character. Ash is their puppet to maul and torment to the tune of their paychecks. This season was my last hurrah in hoping the staff would actually give a shit, but I was wrong and now I am among those folk who have given up. All that we have come to love about XY/Z has been a lie.

Stage On

The writers, directors, and executives at TPC have no intention of giving satisfaction to anybody but themselves, specifically their pockets. They don't care if kids are satisfied with the ending, they don't care about their fanbase, they certainly don't care to give older fans closure to a once-beloved character. Ash is their puppet to maul and torment to the tune of their paychecks. This season was my last hurrah in hoping the staff would actually give a shit, but I was wrong and now I am among those folk who have given up. All that we have come to love about XY/Z has been a lie.

The tragic thing is some of the staff DO care!

Aito Ohashi (one of the animators) asked on Twitter why they can't let kids have dreams after Ash lost the leauge.

Masaaki Iwane (the longest-working animator) saying that the story was pointing to Ash winning and that having him lose all the time isn't a good idea.

Hydrus

That's the thing, the ratings are going down and most people don't give a shit about Ash. They can make MORE money by simply giving Ash a victory and moving on into a new series, with new characters.

I mean shit, just look at how many views Origins has on YouTube. Time to move on with the anime series. I will NEVER understand Japanese business leadership and how the hell many stay at the top after so many bad business decisions.

Boss Doggie

The tragic thing is some of the staff DO care!

Aito Ohashi (one of the animators) asked on Twitter why they can't let kids have dreams after Ash lost the leauge.

Masaaki Iwane (the longest-working animator) saying that the story was pointing to Ash winning and that having him lose all the time isn't a good idea.

it really makes you wonder if that was the intention but the higher ups were like "NOPE!"

Wiseblade

Twice now the anime has set Ash up to win a league, only to shut him down and give the character a hard reset. I think there's a lot of merit to the idea of someone high up the food chain preventing the writing staff from moving to a new protagonist.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Would you rather that Ash won and then they reset him when he goes to Alola?

You're 32 and outside the target market for the show hence why they aren't trying to appeal to you.

Twice now the anime has set Ash up to win a league, only to shut him down and give the character a hard reset. I think there's a lot of merit to the idea of someone high up the food chain preventing the writing staff from moving to a new protagonist.

Of course someone higher up doesn't want to replace Ash because he and Pikachu are the mascot for the Animé and are already establish so it would be a waste of time in creating a new character.

Remember the animé purely exist to promote the Pokémon series nothing more and nothing less.

Stage On

Would you rather that Ash won and then they reset him when he goes to Alola?

Hell yes. That would have cemented X and Y as the best part of the anime. Since they are resetting anyhow what harm would it have done?

Remember the animé purely exist to promote the Pokémon series nothing more and nothing less.

Funny for something that's purely promotional that they put so much effort into it. The animation is way way higher then it needs to be simply to help sell stuff and even the writing was above average from what you'd expect from a simple kids show until they blew the league.

Just watched an episode where Team Rocket impersonates the gang while commiting crimes, except Clemont, so they could keep the other three busy while pretending to be scientists to convince Clemont to build an electric proof machine (haven't they built these before) to catch Pikachu

At least the other filler episode had some new pokemon they could meet, here it's fucking nothing

Just watched an episode where Team Rocket impersonates the gang while commiting crimes, except Clemont, so they could keep the other three busy while pretending to be scientists to convince Clemont to build an electric proof machine (haven't they built these before) to catch Pikachu

At least the other filler episode had some new pokemon they could meet, here it's fucking nothing

That episode cracked me up. James would do something assholeish, and then run away screaming "I don't care! I'm Ash from Pallet Town!" Something about his delivery made me laugh every time.

That episode cracked me up. James would do something assholeish, and then run away screaming "I don't care! I'm Ash from Pallet Town!" Something about his delivery made me laugh every time.
Yeah I did enjoy that. "I'm Serena from Vaniville Town!" "I'm bonny from lumiose city" and then they'd scarf down some hot dogs while dine and dashing

TheFlow

Banned
honestly if is ashe is going back to school wouldn't make sense for him to win a league, then on a vacation or something.

Makes it look like Ashe took an L and decided to stop going for leagues.

Posting from the other thread

gMqeloM.png1

Well I'll just have the memories of the awesome Kalos league and animation even tho Ash lost. The Sun and Moon anime looks like complete shit.

MogCakes

Considering they're still dragging their feet on it, I'm going to extend the end date to "when Hyper and Salva finally start posting those Best Wishes reviews they have to do as part of their bet."

They likely vomit every time they start an episode, can you blame them

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that Adventures goes quite sharply downhill starting from Diamond and Pearl, but RGBY through til the conclusion of RSE is IMO the best piece of Pokemon media outside the games themselves. A genuinely interesting take on the franchise, and Yellow is still the best Pokemon protagonist for me.

Boss Doggie

I agree that Adventures goes quite sharply downhill starting from Diamond and Pearl, but RGBY through til the conclusion of RSE is IMO the best piece of Pokemon media outside the games themselves. A genuinely interesting take on the franchise, and Yellow is still the best Pokemon protagonist for me.

I don't like the whole "let's 'withhold' the character" they keep doing though, like how they froze Red or turn White into a ball.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like the whole "let's 'withhold' the character" they keep doing though, like how they froze Red or turn White into a ball.

I think Red's initial disappearance was necessary to develop Yellow as a character. Red's Champion by the end of his saga (nice try tho Ash), and could pretty much clear all the problems in Yellow's saga if he was allowed to roam freely as a character, although her powers give her a niche advantage. It's the Superman vs. Batman's rogue gallery problem - fundamental mismatch. Once Yellow is up to speed, Red's out and about again pretty quickly, and he gets his fitting resolution with the E4.

No comment on White. That was dumb. Adventures concludes with Emerald, to be honest. Everything else is Dragonball GT to the first three gen's Dragonball Z, in my head canon.

Boss Doggie

I think Red's initial disappearance was necessary to develop Yellow as a character. Red's Champion by the end of his saga (nice try tho Ash), and could pretty much clear all the problems in Yellow's saga if he was allowed to roam freely as a character, although her powers give her a niche advantage. It's the Superman vs. Batman's rogue gallery problem - fundamental mismatch. Once Yellow is up to speed, Red's out and about again pretty quickly, and he gets his fitting resolution with the E4.

No comment on White. That was dumb. Adventures concludes with Emerald, to be honest. Everything else is Dragonball GT to the first three gen's Dragonball Z, in my head canon.

they could have done it like "he's away training" or "he has rested/retired", I mean the story was good but that part really bothered me since they could've used something better

yeah it was hilarious, and then all that shit with Team Flare and Zinnia (although I thank pokespe for impaling Zinnia though knowing ORAS she'd be fine)

Hydrus

Welp, the new titles were revealed. Good bye Serena and Greninja :'(

Episode 941: One Last Battle with Ash! Serena's Choice!!
Episode 942: Farewell, Ash-Greninja! Xerosic Strikes Back!!

I'm done with this anime. Good luck to those who continue to watch this.

DonMigs85

Welp, the new titles were revealed. Good bye Serena and Greninja :'(

Episode 941: One Last Battle with Ash! Serena's Choice!!
Episode 942: Farewell, Ash-Greninja! Xerosic Strikes Back!!

I'm done with this anime. Good luck to those who continue to watch this.

Please at least watch the first episode of the next season so we can at least laugh together if it turns out horrible.

Just caught up on the last couple of episodes. That 2 parter was incredible.

Despite the league disappointment, the series was amazing overall. I guess a few more fuck yous to the fans are in order with the departure of Serena and Greninja. I just dont get it.

Really gonna miss this cast and show. XYZ ruled. I'm gonna give the new show a chance but I'm not very excited for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom