• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Handmaiden hasn't even come out here (UK) for general release and you're already anticipating the home release in a month.

*grumbles*

meppi

The Handmaiden hasn't even come out here (UK) for general release and you're already anticipating the home release in a month.

*grumbles*

Yeah, I know. It's one of the times where I'm actually lucky to live in Belgium. ;)
Normally a film such as this would not even come out over here and I'd have to get the UK version or even import the original Korean one, rip it to HDD and put in English subtitles myself.
Had to do this with Tampopo which I got from Germany and The Chaser which I got from Italy for example.
Not to mention Iron Monkey, Mr. Vampire and the Chinese Ghost Story trilogy.
It really sucks to not have an easy way to get these on Bluray.

watched chaser and wasnt that impressed. seemed to be lacking as a film, maybe the story behind it was close to the depiction, but it didnt make it better as a film.

Going to see Train To Busan this evening, so excited. Got a ticket to see The Wailing on 25th Nov at Picturehouse Central. Korean films killing it this year.

Bamboo

watched chaser and wasnt that impressed. seemed to be lacking as a film, maybe the story behind it was close to the depiction, but it didnt make it better as a film.
Interesting. The story was not what captured me about the film. What I most enjoyed about it was the gritty feel. It was filthy, bloody, moist and rotten. Both visually and acoustically. Having a big screen and a loud sound system was cruical to me. But yeah, story-wise it's not really convincing. Even though I find the amount of korean films dealing with christianity super interesting. I didn't even know how christian it was if it wasn't for the movies I saw that made me learn and explore their depictions (twisted and heightened of course).

pants

Watched The Wailing (South Korean movie) recently and really, really loved it, I always loved thrillers with a bit of mystery hoping for more like these. Watched Train to Busan as well and it was a fun movie, that one guy is a complete asshole though lol

thenexus6

Watched The Wailing (South Korean movie) recently and really, really loved it, I always loved thrillers with a bit of mystery hoping for more like these. Watched Train to Busan as well and it was a fun movie, that one guy is a complete asshole though lol

I want to watch both of these for ages! The Wailing just popped up to rent on Google movies so will rent that soon. Busan is still MIA.

AWESOME NEWS ALERT

CLcbblo.png

Can't find any official post online, but don't see why its not legitimate. Can't wait if true!

meppi

Yeah, The Wailing was a very nice surprise. Really well put together.
Got to see Train to Busan and it was pretty great as well.
Not my favourite zombie film by a long stretch, but a lot better than most these days.

Now what I really would love to see is Mifune: The Last Samurai, but I can't find any info about it besides a trailer and impressions from certain festivals.
Some sites state it came out in 2015, others 2016 and even others mention how it's just been released in theaters. :-/

thenexus6

Yeah, The Wailing was a very nice surprise. Really well put together.
Got to see Train to Busan and it was pretty great as well.
Not my favourite zombie film by a long stretch, but a lot better than most these days.

Now what I really would love to see is Mifune: The Last Samurai, but I can't find any info about it besides a trailer and impressions from certain festivals.
Some sites state it came out in 2015, others 2016 and even others mention how it's just been released in theaters. :-/

Mifune was playing at a film festival in London but it was just too inconvenient for me to go. The moment I can buy / rent it I will though.

jokkir

Train to Busan is on Netflix. One of my favourite Korean movies last year.

Any other Korean film to look out for this year? I already saw, and enjoyed The King

EDIT - Looks like it's on sale on the Play Store too for $0.99

Decado

Any other Korean film to look out for this year? I already saw, and enjoyed The King

I really want to see Age of Shadows and The Handmaiden.

Rekwest

Seoul Station.

meppi

Well I'm certainly looking forward to OKJA whatever that may be. :)

http://screenanarchy.com/2017/02/okja-netflix-drops-first-teaser-for-bong-joon-hos-latest.html

Finally watched Chungking express. Amazing film

Oh absolutely. One of my favourite movies ever.
I watch it at least once a year. For some reason it's my perfect movie to watch on a hot summer night. :)

Try out Memories of Matsuko as well. Very different from Chungking Express, but also one that I keep going back to.

Llyranor

I really should get around to watching Chungking Express and In The Mood for Love

Movies I enjoyed recently:
- Poetry (darker than I expected)
- Ode to my Father
- A Simple Life

sora87

I watched A Girl at my Door tonight, wasn't what i expected but it was a good film.
I also stumbled across a film called Air Doll but amazon don't have it to rent in my region apparently which is so annoying, it sounds really interesting :(

Redx508

I watched A Girl at my Door tonight, wasn't what i expected but it was a good film.
I also stumbled across a film called Air Doll but amazon don't have it to rent in my region apparently which is so annoying, it sounds really interesting :(

i remember watching A Girl at my Door it was good.

meppi

I loved Air Doll. Didn't expect it to be this kind of film. Thought it would be a lot more silly.
Really beautiful. Kore-eda hasn't let me down yet.
If an opportunity comes up, be sure to watch it.

.JayZii

Banned
Planning on watching Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters tonight. I haven't seen it since college and barely remember it.

There were two movies that at a glance looked like The Handmaiden in the Korean section on netflix which got me excited and then hurt my feelings.

Is Tokyo Tribe any good?

norm9

New Johnny To is dope as hell. Called Three. Taking place entirely in a hospital, it's about a caught criminal, a neurosurgeon, and cops that don't play by the rules. The climax is one of the best sequences I've seen in a while. Rented it on Amazon.

meppi

Seems like we finally have a release date for a Bluray version of The Handmaiden.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XX16BVB/

It comes up as August 7.
Still a bit of but at least it's a ton better than the shitty DVD only release that Cinéart did in Belgium. It's 2017 goddamnit! :mad:
Such a backwards country to live in...

Anyway.

Picked up a couple new books to read in the garden during summertime.

I'll gladly recommend all of these, although the Midnight Eye Guide is not as in-depth as the other three, which is only natural since it covers a ton more films and directors.
But it certainly is opening my eyes to a lot of movies that I hand't heard of before.

And I also received these two beauties in the mail last week.

The just released new HD transfers of the Dead or Alive trilogy as well as the Korean import of Hanyo or The Housemaid from 1960. (not the mediocre at best remake from a couple of years back)
Already had the import DVD that came out several years ago, but I couldn't resist to upgrade to the new Bluray transfer. :)

Also got a nice Korean import underway from an all-time classic Hong Kong trilogy.

meppi

So I watched Branded to Kill this weekend thanks to the Guide to new Japan film book.

Well that was certainly something unique! lol

Really loved the film, so much so that I now have a Bluray copy underway. :)
Can't wait to watch it again this summer.

And so I bought another book as my outdoor reading material, which will no doubt make me buy even more films.

Speaking of more films. Got these Friday.

thenexus6

Nice haul, I love the TWF Kitano work, can't wait for Getting Any? Later this year.

I have been introducing some real Jackie Chan movies to my girlfriend, as i'm such a super fan and get annoyed when peoples idea of a Jackie movie is just Rush Hour.

I've showed her Rumble in the Bronx, the first three Lucky Stars films (not really Jackie but they are so good anyway) and then Police Story 1.

She digs them all. I have Police Story 2, then Wheels on Meals next as she like Sammo in the Lucky Star films.

I also got a copy of Heart of the Dragon on DVD arrive today, never seen this one so might watch it tonight.

meppi

Yeah, I really love how passionate they are about his work.
I've bought just about all their releases so far. These were the ones I was still missing.
There might be a couple more, but I need to spread out my expenses a little. ;)

You certainly had more luck than me when it comes to getting your girlfriend into real Jackie Chan films. lol
Mine "loved" Jackie Chan, but only because of films such as The Tuxedo, Shanghai Noon and Rush Hour.
So when I put on Drunken Master from Hong Kong Legends on she threw a fit when she heard him speaking Cantonese.... yeah....
Didn't get more than 5 minutes into it and never tried another one after that.
On the positive side, we're no longer together. :p

I actually haven't seen Heart of the Dragon either, although I've owned it for over a decade now.

I just have way too much stuff to watch I guess.

Don't forget Drunken Master is getting a brand new Bluray transfer soon!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WVBRJ1L/

Hmm, holy crap! Really soon it seems! Had it ordered in March and thought it was a summer release. Guess not!

Razmos

Watched Chocolate yesterday with my boyfriend. Brilliant film.
About an autistic girl that learns martial arts through watching films and watching people perform it, then later used her skills to try and get back some money that mobsters owe her mother.

Really good!

Chuckie

Watched Chocolate yesterday with my boyfriend. Brilliant film.
About an autistic girl that learns martial arts through watching films and watching people perform it, then later used her skills to try and get back some money that mobsters owe her mother.

Really good!

That was an awesome movie. Girl got moves too.

Llyranor

Don't forget Drunken Master is getting a brand new Bluray transfer soon!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WVBRJ1L/

Hmm, holy crap! Really soon it seems! Had it ordered in March and thought it was a summer release. Guess not!
I've heard good things about this release. Nice to have a proper HD release of Jackie with full Cantonese track, instead of upscales. I'm waiting on the Twilight Time release in June alongside Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Another vote for Chungking Express.

Anything with Faye Wong and/or Tony Leung Really. Maybe throw in Andy Lau as well and I am happy.

Its a great film. Best singer ever. Best cinematographer ever. One of the best directors ever.

And I think I have run out of hyperbole.

Another vote for Chungking Express.

Anything with Faye Wong and/or Tony Leung Really. Maybe throw in Andy Lau as well and I am happy.

Its a great film. Best singer ever. Best cinematographer ever. One of the best directors ever.

And I think I have run out of hyperbole.

The GOAT. I feel lucky to have the Criterion bluray.

meppi

^ It's the perfect summertime film to watch on a steamy hot night.

I've heard good things about this release. Nice to have a proper HD release of Jackie with full Cantonese track, instead of upscales. I'm waiting on the Twilight Time release in June alongside Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

Ah that's great to hear!
Eureka! always seems to be doing a terrific job with their Blu-ray releases. Never been disappointed by them.
I'm pretty sure I preorderd it for £25, so I'm glad I'm ending up getting it for just 13. Didn't expect that at all.

edit: Sweet!

Drunken Master comes on a 50 GB dual layer BluRay. The film is presented in a 1080 progressive widescreen. For this release a brand-new transfer has been created from a 4k digital restoration and the end result is one of the best looking vintage Hong Kong cinema transfers that I have seen to date. And when compared to previous release, this new transfer greatly improves upon color saturation, black levels and image clarity. Grain remains intact and there are no issues with DNR or compression.

This release comes with three audio options, a LPCM mono mix in English, a LPCM mono mix in Cantonese and a LPCM mono mix in Mandarin. All three audio mixes sound, clean, clear, balanced and robust when they need too. Included with this release are four subtitle options, English, English SDH, English / Chinese subtitles from the film's Hong Kong theatrical release and English subtitles for the Mandarin audio track. It should be noted that the Mandarin audio track was created for the shorter version of the film and scenes that were not recorded in Mandarin are presented in English.

I'm really hoping that this release sells very well for them so we can hopefully see Drunken Master 2 get the same treatment.
I've got the original Thakral release as well as some other DVD release and even the Hong Kong Rescue version, but nothing would beat a fully restored Eureka! release.

There are quite a lot of Jackie Chan films on Bluray released in Germany, but I'm fearing that the prints will be of low quality.
https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_s...prefix=jackie+chan,aps,157&crid=33HF0U9CGA1CA

I recently imported the Chinese Ghost Story trilogy from there and while picture quality was quite nice, the sound ended up being pretty bad.

Llyranor

I'm really hoping that this release sells very well for them so we can hopefully see Drunken Master 2 get the same treatment.
I've got the original Thakral release as well as some other DVD release and even the Hong Kong Rescue version, but nothing would beat a fully restored Eureka! release.
Does Miramax not own the rights to it in UK?

meppi

Got my copy of Drunken Master in and it's beautiful. Never seen the film in such good condition.
It even looks even better in sharpness, detail and colour tone than the Hong Kong Rescue release which is based on the Japanese Bluray remaster. :)

Ep4IxnE.jpg

a8SXvMI.jpg

Llyranor

Bwahaha, nice garden.

And good to know! I'm holding out to see what the Twilight Time release looks like (along with Snake in the Eagle's Shadow), but otherwise I'll pick this one up (long live region-free players).

meppi

Hehe, thank you. :) It normally looks a lot better actually, but we've been having some terrible weather and even some night frost which damaged a lot of plants that already started to bloom.
Still need a bit of work though as I've only bought the place over a year ago and it's a real fixer upper. ;)

U7qHsAt.jpg

If for whatever reason the Twilight release is disappointing, be sure to pick this version up.
Because on the back of the box it even says that the disc is region free. :)

I'm really hoping this will do very well for them and it might start being the new standard for classic Hong Kong films.
I know this is wishful thinking, but who knows...

I recently watched Korean movie Silence and it was brutal. Very graphic and tackles a dark subject matter. I was shocked to hear this was based on a true story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom