• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assasins Creed Syndicate

its kind of sad the amount of hate people exhaust over assassins creed on here. Its like people are just ignoring the fact that people who have the game are saying its good. I have not seen one person say they arent enjoying it so far.

It's insane how shitposting on the AC franchise and Ubisoft in general is totally tolerated here.

I am feeling massive fatigue on the series and would love it to drop down to releasing just one new game every three years

That said the setting is too enticing, will probably pick it up early next year when it drops in price

dab0ne

Oh man. I bet the game will be fun but it'll probably be $20 by new years so I'm gonna wait.

Assassins creed syndicate |OT| SyndICan't

Seijuro

I'm really curious how this game will review.

As most reviewers ignored AC Unity's grave problems (performance problems, bugs, cluttered map, forced companion app functions that didn't work, mp broken for many people) it will review well. If it's good is another matter entirely.

Sparse

Watched a an hour or so play though on YouTube and seems actually alright game only issue i seen is animations outside of combat are kind of slow while combat it like somebody hit the turbo button looks weird as fuck.

Also the usual writing for English people is annoying as fuck I swear we don't talk like everyone in Oliver Twist irritating they went for that stereotype although I do laugh at subtitles putting certain English words in brackets.

Example

" you lost your bottle (nerve)"

Hahahahaha.

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate |OT| Running at a blistering fast, buttery smooth, 30 fps

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate |OT| Platform Unity

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate |OT| "It's not pop-in, it's the Animus!"

OP, you'll probably won't reject your purchase, and there is most definitely someone out there hype for a the new game.
Also, gaming enthusiast forums such as GAF are probably a bad place to talk about AC if you're legitimately enthusiastic because it's currently super cool to drive-by shitpost in Assassin's Creed threads.

Yes they are drive-by shitposts but also some people who love Assassins Creed like me since 2007 have legit concerns.

All semblance of the modern story has gone *poof*, technical issues were a problem last year, combat and to an extent parkour hasn't improved all that much and looks pretty janky still and we've had a litany of unlikable protagonists (I've only really like Altair and Ezio)

I want to pick this up eventually but it's a bit unfair to label ALL criticism of AC as drive-by posting, especially when all some of us want is better AC games.

The defense force needs to ease up a bit honestly.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's insane how shitposting on the AC franchise and Ubisoft in general is totally tolerated here.

Because publishers and games should be exempt from criticism? Gamers aren't allowed to voice their opinions?

The AC franchise has run out of steam and making this series an annual event accelerated the process. I played and finished the first four games, I didn't enjoy AC3 however and I only played the beginning of Black Flag. I'm glad I didn't pre-order Unity since it turned out to be rubbish and almost everything I've seen from the new game shouts "been there done that" to me. Ubisoft's cookiecutter open world games don't do it for me anymore.

It doesn't help that the quality of Ubisoft's PC ports are pretty poor and only become playable months later after a number of patches.

killroy87

Game looks fine to me, I don't really see the reason for such a passionate hate. Doesn't look outstanding, and the setting isn't up my alley, but as far as crappy games go, this looks to have a pretty long way to fall before it hits the lows of a truly bad game.

Franchise fatigue is clearly a thing, and that's totally justifiable, but people are clearly harboring that feeling when poking holes in every single aspect of this game that can possibly be poked. Like it or not, it's still a more ambitious title than 80% of games released today.

Sigh. . still planning on picking this up for my fiancée. She likes to play it for the story and because it is simple gameplay. . I just don't know if I want to have physical games in my house. . but I don't want to own this digitally and never be able to return it. .I have to decide soon so I can at least benefit from BB deals. . or maybe there will be a nice Black Friday deal for this. .

Fury451

Banned
Because publishers and games should be exempt from criticism? Gamers aren't allowed to voice their opinions?

The AC franchise has run out of steam and making this series an annual event accelerated the process. I played and finished the first four games, I didn't enjoy AC3 however and I only played the beginning of Black Flag. I'm glad I didn't pre-order Unity since it turned out to be rubbish and almost everything I've seen from the new game shouts "been there done that" to me. Ubisoft's cookiecutter open world games don't do it for me anymore.

It doesn't help that the quality of Ubisoft's PC ports are pretty poor and only become playable months later after a number of patches.

There's a difference between legitimate criticism (which your post contains), and "lol AC sucks", which a lot of posts are whenever this series comes up.

I agree with some of your points, particularly the dangers of annualizing and fatigue, but certain franchises tend to provoke more drive-by posting rather than legitimate discussion. Few people note how Ubi attempted to listen to feedback in Unity and scale back the gameplay to be more refined than it has been. Combat was also a challenge, though a bit clunky still. Instead it's "Unity was a buggy unplayable mess". True, at first, but they fixed it, and it had some positives to it even if it was somewhat bland.

ogbg

Watching the streams, it's great that the whistle mechanic is back. One of the main reasons that stealth sucked in Unity was the fact that you could never reliably lure people to your cover position with those crappy cherry bombs.

qirex

My problems with Unity weren't around the performance or glitches (got it on sale almost a year after release) but with the systems of the game which just felt sloppy. There's no way to make noise to distract guards, a basic part of any stealth game. There was also no distance silent kill weapon like the old knives or blowgun, just the awkward slow noisy wrist ratchet thing. Also instead of being freeform the assassinations had a "right" path you were obviously supposed to follow and sometimes it was really unclear what that path was.

I didn't get that far so maybe it improves past that but once I'd climbed all over everything in Paris I pretty much lost motivation to continue.

ogbg

My problems with Unity weren't around the performance or glitches (got it on sale almost a year after release) but with the systems of the game which just felt sloppy. There's no way to make noise to distract guards, a basic part of any stealth game. There was also no distance silent kill weapon like the old knives or blowgun, just the awkward slow noisy wrist ratchet thing..

I agree. Thankfully both whistling and throwing knives are in this one.

iNvid02

There's a difference between criticism and shit posting, if you cant distinguish between the two then something is clearly wrong.

And your last point about PC ports being unplayable for months is false, but i won't hold it against you because its just the type of misinformation that spreads when morons leap to conclusions of "HURR DURR ITS UNOPTIMIZED" if they are unable to hit 60fps on max settings.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yes they are drive-by shitposts but also some people who love Assassins Creed like me since 2007 have legit concerns.

All semblance of the modern story has gone *poof*, technical issues were a problem last year, combat and to an extent parkour hasn't improved all that much and looks pretty janky still and we've had a litany of unlikable protagonists (I've only really like Altair and Ezio)

I want to pick this up eventually but it's a bit unfair to label ALL criticism of AC as drive-by posting, especially when all some of us want is better AC games.

The defense force needs to ease up a bit honestly.

No, not all criticism in these threads are drive-by posts, and yes there are reasons to be concerned especially if you've played Unity. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I believed that there shouldn't be concern for the game.

That said the parkour may be janky but it's functional (and better than Unity's, what with the enter window button which was sorely needed), the protagonists (more Evie than Jacob, but still the dynamic is fun) are the most likeable in a while and the game apparently runs fine on consoles with no big glitches. They lowered the intensity of the graphics and added a day/night cycle for that.

And just as it's unfair to label all criticism as drive-by shitposting, it's unfair to label every non-negative post as being part of a defence force.

EDIT: Further comment to OP, don't preorder games. It's a bad practice.

Dynasty

Black Flag is the only Assassin's Creed game I have played and I loved it. The ground combat wasn't that good, what got me hooked to the game was the ship combat. As soon as I found out Unity wasn't going to have ship combat I lost all hype for the game and wasn't going to buy it. So same for Syndicate. Ubisoft just needs to hurry and make a Pirate game.

Yoday

It is now. When first released, the game was nigh on broken.
You say it like they only recently got around to fixing the game. Most of the major bugs were fixed within a few weeks of launch, and the final patch was about a month after launch. The game has been perfectly fine since mid December of last year.

SomTervo

You should play Unity, it's the best AC game since AC2.

I'm hoping Syndicate turns out to be good.

See, I think AC2 is really overrated. For me:

ACIV: Black Flag > AC Unity > AC Brotherhood > AC2 > AC3 > AC1

Though I'd be tempted to flip around AC2 and AC3, tbh. AC3 was great if you played it as a frontier simulator rather than a traditional action adventure game.

Also, not played Rogue, got it on PC but running into NVidia driver issues. Don't like it so far, though. Seems like the worst bits of AC3 and Black Flag smushed together.

However, I'm excited for Syndicate. Will no doubt be £10 soon on CDkeys.com for PC.

Stat!

Loved Unity. The free running, missions, c-oop, and setting was awesome. The amount of people on screen was incredible. As was the world.

Game suffered in the story/side missions department though. Looking forward to Syndicate but the lack of co-op sucks hardcore.

I've preordered Syndicate too, mostly cuz of Best Buy ($48 after GCU, $10 preorder bonus makes it $40+tax). It'll trade for $35-45 in the first month so its a cheap rental.

Its honestly mostly a timing thing. I'm playing Uncharted, Destiny and MGS now. I'll play Halo and Syndicate, both release the same day. Then on Nov 10th I'll be playing Fallout 4 and Battlefront a week later. If Syndicate was releasing any later I wouldn't have picked it up.

I have very, very, very low hopes but I am a huge AC fan so a tiny part of me is hoping they have got their shit together. At the very least I expect running around London reading all the historic animus entries will be cool, that's one of my favorite things to do in AC.

AHK_Hero

Im a huge Assasins Creed fan and I just preordered Syndicate.

Am I going to regret my purchase?

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate |OT| Leap of Faith

U1wFMyD.gif

What even is this series? They refuse to really do stealth, combat quality is all over the place but has never been particularly good, you spend as much/ more time listening to NPC's spout exposition while walking slowly as you do doing any actual assassinating, the missions don't even take advantage of the open world. But it must still be selling.

I finished Styx the other day an it reminded me of how good a proper stealth game is. Assassins creed had so much potential all those years ago.

AC1 - had some good ideas but was flawed

AC2 - I thought was pretty good but didn't really go the stealthy route I hoped for.

AC Brotherhood - I kinda accepted what AC had become and really enjoyed it

AC revelations - was getting kinda bored of the same formula

AC3 - quit after 6 long boring hours

Black flag - should have been its own thing, not an AC game. I loved all the non AC bits. Great pirate simulator.

Unity - has none of what I liked about black flag so didn't interest me.

This one - sadly looks as dull as the last one.

Oh well.

SomTervo

What even is this series? They refuse to really do stealth, combat quality is all over the place but has never been particularly good, you spend as much/ more time listening to NPC's spout exposition while walking slowly as you do doing any actual assassinating, the missions don't even take advantage of the open world. But it must still be selling.

See, there's one thing it does which no other game/series does.

Historical fiction. (Well, I know the whole assassin thing doesn't fit into the genre, but I mean 'historical realisation/simulation'). Like, imagine if someone told you in 1996 that in 20 years we'd be able to free-run over a near 1:1 simulation of revolutionary Paris's central districts, an area few square km in size, looking almost like real life (crappy NPCs notwithstanding), and chock-full of people? Or a stretch of truncated Carribean sea with several cities, ship battles, etc?

As much as all the games have deeply flawed mechanics and hodge-podge gameplay, they are the only ones doing this exact thing, and doing it so fucking well.

I buy almost every new release (skipped Revelations and Black Flag at release day) just because I love the historical fiction.

I'll be buying Syndicate in the next couple of months (sooner if I see a good deal) because I can't wait to see their London.

2IlvzAQ.png

Already 1.11

And?

I was thinking about this last night. I'm a big Assassin's Creed fan, but I felt pretty meh when I initially saw the trailers and stuff for this game. It didn't help that I didn't like the male protagonist all that much, either. After watching a fair bit of footage, I think I'm going to take the plunge and buy it, too.

I enjoyed playing Unity, but it's worth noting that I didn't finish it until well after it was patched, despite buying it on day one. I played for a few hours and the shelved it, in favor of something else. When I went back to it, I had a good time. Story-wise, it wasn't the best Assassin's Creed, but I quite liked Arno.

See, there's one thing it does which no other game/series does.

Historical fiction. (Well, I know the whole assassin thing doesn't fit into the genre, but I mean 'historical realisation/simulation'). Like, imagine if someone told you in 1996 that in 20 years we'd be able to free-run over a near 1:1 simulation of revolutionary Paris's central districts, an area few square km in size, looking almost like real life (crappy NPCs notwithstanding), and chock-full of people? Or a stretch of truncated Carribean sea with several cities, ship battles, etc?

As much as all the games have deeply flawed mechanics and hodge-podge gameplay, they are the only ones doing this exact thing, and doing it so fucking well.

I buy almost every new release (skipped Revelations and Black Flag at release day) just because I love the historical fiction.

I'll be buying Syndicate in the next couple of months (sooner if I see a good deal) because I can't wait to see their London.

I haven't really been into any of the cities since Assassin's Creed II. Rome felt kind of small. I didn't care much for the Caribbean setting. Colonial U.S., London, and Paris don't really interest me right now. And they're all set in the same span of centuries. They hinted they were heading towards a modern setting for significant parts of III and then backed out of that, and since then it feels like they've been playing it safe with 1700's-1800's Western countries full of people with vague English accents.

oti

Banned
Unity made it difficult for me to like it initially but I ended up really enjoying it. That's what I'm hoping for this one too but I'd rather play AC4 (pirates though, ugh) or Rogue first. Saves money and backlog is huge enough anyway.

Top Bottom