• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 2 Info from Game Informer (no scans)

Barrett2

I just read the OP. Wow, it sounds like they are actually finishing what should have been in the first game. As much as I hated the first, there is now a 99% chance I will get this day 1. So much potential for awesome.

Xrenity

Wow! Loved AC1, and the sequel seems to be much more and better. Day 1!

Hope this one gives you the option to skip cutscenes, cause that really stopped me from playing the game when I finished it.

Feindflug

I just saw the scans and all I have to say is WTF??? is that real-time? there were screens that were clearly artwork but some screens are too good to be true...if they can pull it off it will be crazy - simply amazing graphics.

I really enjoyed the first game and all the gameplay additions/improvements sound really promising, the game might turn out something really special..can't wait to see the game in motion.

Feindflug said:
I just saw the scans and all I have to say is WTF??? is that real-time? there were screens that were clearly artwork but some screens are too good to be true...if they can pull it off it will be crazy - simply amazing graphics.

I really enjoyed the first game and all the gameplay additions/improvements sound really promising, the game might turn out something really special..can't wait to see the game in motion.

have you played the first game...this looks like the first with engine tweeks in a new setting...the first looked excellent, this looks better...of course everything is real time barring a few illustrations

Remove scans, they are not allowed here mate

Sectus

XxBigP123xX said:
This one better fucking have subtitles.
Being able to skip cutscenes would be nice too. Being able to skip tutorials would be great as well.

And having a combat system where you actually do something else besides doing endless counters.

And maybe having less combat.

And no stupid mini-missions where you sit down on a bench and press Y.

And maybe add some challenge to the freerunning/climbing besides holding down 2 buttons all the time. (seriously, running on the ground required much more challenges as pedestrations could knock you over, but running on rooftops was a breeze)

And maybe guards who doesn't repeat the same 2 lines where ever you go. "I'll have your hand for this!"

And maybe assassinations which are more interesting than "Run up to dude and stab him."

And maybe do something interesting with the futuristic setting besides using it for a really bad cliffhanger.

When thinking about it, they have to do a ton with the game to actually make it good, instead of being a really impressive tech demo.

This is just one of those games where all I can really do is get ready to play it upon release. AC1 was such a disappointment, but the story was intriguing and overall concept does have a lot of possibilities. Still there was so much that needed work with the original game. The actual assassinations were incredibly weak to the point where I would have no trouble literally jumping straight into the middle of a group of twenty armed guards to kill my target. Leaving was as simple as just running away and if I was forced to kill 20 guards...I could do it :\.

So not only do the side missions need drastic improvement but assassinations need to require more planning in general in order for you to be successful.

Kibbles

The comparison pics in the article between their real-life counterparts...
"looks like a painting come to life."

newschool

I don't like the character design, because I feel that it looks too much like Altair from the first game. but I am super excited about the renaissance setting for the sequel.

Here is an interesting article about the historical setting for Assassin's Creed 2. It seems like there is a lot of opportunity for political intrigue and backstabbing from that period. Plus, Leonardo da Vinci was gay? Did not know that.

From the article:

"Lorenzo de Medici, who evidently plays an important role in Assassin’s Creed 2, was a young member of the Medici family who became the ruler of Florence at the age of only 20 years old, when his father died in 1469. Lorenzo was no businessman like his banker father, but he was adept at politics. He ruled the republic of Florence through bribery, corruption and strategic marriages. Other families tried to capitalize on Lorenzo’s relative inexperience and youth, eventually leading to an assassination attempt which failed in 1478. In return, the wounded Lorenzo had the entire rival Pazzi family put to death. That’s just how princes were expected to roll in the 15th century."

All sounds like game of the generation material to me. Hopefully they can sort out the PC version in a timely fashion this time.

Kilroy

lawblob said:
I just read the OP. Wow, it sounds like they are actually finishing what should have been in the first game. As much as I hated the first, there is now a 99% chance I will get this day 1. So much potential for awesome.
This!

Though saying that I hated AC was a bit strong. I found it beautiful and nice, but extremely annoying to play.
I honestly couldn't be bothered to play, especially because Altair and indeed Desmond (ugh) was extremely unlikable. (They should have skipped that Animus crap. It seemed like they wanted to do something brilliant like how the Prince told the story in Sands of Time, but couldn't be assed to do it proberly and just went "Ya, you can't go there because it's not in your memory lol")

Keep the sci-fi bull at a minimum, make a likable main character and if they really insist on having a combat system, don't make it a peice of crap.

(I'll get AC2 on day 1, though. I have to see if they can make it)

Lakitu

st5fu
This franchise is awesome and has so much potential with settings, and ideas.

Obviously this is renaissance-era Italy.

What other settings could they use in future games? The first one kind of hints at
one in the future
but I'd prefer some historical eras.

spanks

Sectus said:
And maybe assassinations which are more interesting than "Run up to dude and stab him."

Yep, to me this is the main problem; assassinations were basically another mini-game to go along with the 'press button to listen to dudes talking' and 'press button to interrogate guy' versions. They absolutely need more depth to them. Take inspiration from games like Hitman and Thief, or even your own Chaos Theory, with multiple ways to interact in the world and multiple options to take. At the moment it seems AC is just a beat 'em up with a free-running gimmick and mini-games thrown in to make it look like something more than it is. It honestly looks to me that Ubi Montreal has become so focussed on aesthetic (visually and narratively) that the gameplay is almost an afterthought. Just look at any of their games this generation.

Mik2121

Lakitu said:

What other settings could they use in future games? The first one kind of hints at
one in the future
They could go to the era of the kingdoms of Spain fighting against the Arabs. If they located it in the south of Spain, you could have some interesting locations like Granada?...

But really.. what you said in the spoiler.. I hope that doesn't happen anytime soon..

Guled

Lakitu said:

one in the future
china

Raide

spanks said:
It honestly looks to me that Ubi Montreal has become so focussed on aesthetic (visually and narratively) that the gameplay is almost an afterthought. Just look at any of their games this generation.

Well, for some of the Ubi titles, getting the tech down was one of the main things. AC, PoP and FC2 had new engines to deal with and people do agree that, graphically, they we all very good.

AC2 should be a mixing of sweet tech with gameplay and replayablity, so hopefully the tech has all been sorted now. :lol

Guled

jett said:
I don't think any asian places are going to work considering what Desmond and his ancestors look like. :p
I meant to say Japan. Wasn't there some reference to feudal japan in the end of AC1? Maybe we would play as another person other then Desmond
think about how awesome Ninjas vs Assassins would be

I fucking loved AC1. The combat system was fun, and the hidden blade is one of the most satisfying weapons ever. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop and finally pouncing on a guard and sticking that thing into his neck was just amazingly brutal.

The biggest thing that stuck out to me in that article was the dude talking about how the weapons were just there for those that need em, and if you were good enough you could manage with nothing but your blades.

Raide

Son of Godzilla said:
The biggest thing that stuck out to me in that article was the dude talking about how the weapons were just there for those that need em, and if you were good enough you could manage with nothing but your blades.

Nothing but the Hidden Blade will be super hard because you can now only use it if the enemy is unware of where you are. I am sure as hell replaying AC2 just using Hidden Blades. :lol

jett

D-Member
Guled said:
I meant to say Japan. Wasn't there some reference to feudal japan in the end of AC1? Maybe we would play as another person other then Desmond
think about how awesome Ninjas vs Assassins would be

Yeah it'd be nice, but they're definitely propping Desmond as the over-arching main character. Maybe if it was some sort of Shogun/The Last Samurai-type scenario.

jett

D-Member
Raide said:
Nothing but the Hidden Blade will be super hard because you can now only use it if the enemy is unware of where you are. I am sure as hell replaying AC2 just using Hidden Blades. :lol

Nah what the article said is that when you're near an unaware target you'll automatically equip the hidden blades to ensure a stealth kill. Pretty sure you'll be able to use them whenever you like as well.

jett said:
Yeah it'd be nice, but they're definitely propping Desmond as the over-arching main character. Maybe if it was some sort of Shogun/The Last Samurai-type scenario.
There's plenty of ways to get some dude over to Japan/whatever storywise. Less so ways to do it where they could actually blend in.

Raide

Son of Godzilla said:
There's plenty of ways to get some dude over to Japan/whatever storywise. Less so ways to do it where they could actually blend in.

People only want Japan so they can run around as a Ninja. :D

Guled

jett said:
or maybe a spin off Ninja Creed

Pachimari

jett said:
Nah what the article said is that when you're near an unaware target you'll automatically equip the hidden blades to ensure a stealth kill. Pretty sure you'll be able to use them whenever you like as well.
To me it sounds like it's purely automatic this time around.

Consider me among those really excited for this game, the series and it's concept has so much potential I'm glad it will have a second chance to deliver the goods.

calder

I loved/hated the first game in almost equal measure, but I'm extremely interested in the sequel as most of the little things I hated were just bad design choices that have been mentioned a hundred times alreayd and I'm sure they'll fix them this time. At least, they better the hell fix them this time.

But really, has there ever been a worse game to replay than AC. I missed a bunch of the optional missions in the first city and my god you could not pay me enough to sit through all the unskippable tutorials, unskippable cutscenes, and unskippable conversations long enough to even get to the damn city again.

esbern

there is not a chance in hell this game is going to be as good as the new Batman one. Essentially the same game too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Japan thing was Yonaguni, which is a "rumored" sunken city in Japan, so it would date back to some time around the last ice age or something. It would have nothing to do with the Japan we know of really.

Raide

esbern said:
there is not a chance in hell this game is going to be as good as the new Batman one. Essentially the same game too.

I am looking forward to the Batman game, just because its a chance to actually make a good Batman game for once. :lol I just don't see it having the style, graphics or scope of AC2.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hopefully the ratio of other-tasks to assassinations is more like 1:1 instead of 3+:1 in this game

Rez said:
hopefully the ratio of other-tasks to assassinations is more like 1:1 instead of 3+:1 in this game
Perhaps there could be more assassinations within each mission, so for example, three auxiliary targets and a main target, and each of the auxialiary targets you take out makes the main target easier in some way (less guards, he's not expecting you or something).

People who want a challenge could go for the main guy straight away whereas more thorough people could go for the extra targets first.

They probably wont put this in the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
proposition said:
Perhaps there could be more assassinations within each mission, so for example, three auxiliary targets and a main target, and each of the auxialiary targets you take out makes the main target easier in some way (less guards, he's not expecting you or something).

People who want a challenge could go for the main guy straight away whereas more thorough people could go for the extra targets first.

They probably wont put this in the game.
Mmm, that would probably take too much work or something. But I do hope the option is there to just take on the assassinations, and do the other stuff when ever you please as a means of upgrading your equipment. I don't care of the game is short, or if I accidentally take on a situation underpowered, I want some faith placed in me as a player.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently a newspaper in Montreal had an interview with someone working on the game and they have some new details.

GamePlanets said:
1. Ezio Auditore di Firenze, the new hero of this adventure, is very different from altair. " Being Italian, we wanted to give him a big attraction for women. Hes a seductor(...) hes also more warm and free than altair, following his ambition for revenge instead of only obeying orders.

2. The first game was critisize for being to linear. Thats why this one will have ove a dozen new types of missions, with alot more liberty and surprises. For example you can decide to kill some witnesses if you feel they we're watching you too much during your assassination.

3. Desmond Miles is back again, but this time the modern areas of the game will be more exciting.

4. The new hero is a much better swimmer than altair, he can even hide underwater or kill his victims after bringing them into the water canals.

5.Youll meet historic people in this game, some victims other allies. davinci will be playing a very important role as your mentor and will create gadgets for you to use.

6. Having more than your secondary knife, youll be able to defend yourself with your fists. you are a master of death, so you have to know everyway to defend yourself

7. The clothes of Ezio are a mix of nobles Italian families from the renaissance (hes a privilege man who's been betrayed by the heading families of Italy) and feathers typical of assassin' in that time Unlike the first, you'll be able to blend in with more than just priest now.

8. big jumps are back from the first, but with your new ability you'll be able to dive right into water.

9. One of Leonardo biggest contibution will be a flying machine helping you getting into normally unaccessible locations. Youll also need it in some of the missions.

10. The criticize ending of the first will not change the way they look at this one. I don't think a direct ending is the best choice cause it leaves no place for imagination. One thing is for sure, will eventually get an AC3.

Source: http://gameplanets.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-info-for-assassin-creed-2.html

xBuTcHeRx

I enjoyed the first one really much, can't wait for this one, I saw the Game informer magazine, the game looks more expansive and has improved in graphics.

wow the main character's name is one of the worst I've heard for a game character,thankfully everything else sounds great

MAKE WAY FOR EZIO AUDITORE DE LA DOUCHENBIGGUMS

Top Bottom