• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Sean

Banned
jett said:
I have no idea what kind of advertising is running in US TVs, but from my perspective Ubisoft certainly invested plenty on marketing AC2. That Lineage 40 minute short couldn't have been cheap. The problem with AC2 is...well AC1. :p That got plenty of backlash. And let's face it, the trailers haven't been as great as the ones AC1 got.

The Lineage stuff was a waste of money imo. People who'd watch something like that are (mostly) hardcore fans of AC that are going to be buying the game anyway. What they needed was some flashy trailers and commercials instead. Or even more gameplay demonstration videos.

There was a lot of new stuff added to the gameplay that I had no clue about until this thread.

AC1 definitely did somethings right, and a lot of people looked past them and saw a great game. Obviously many others couldn't see past them and for good reason. Honestly, I've seen a lot of advertising for AC2 here in the States all over. Internet, TV; even an article in the USA Today newspaper about the game. A kid I NEVER imagined would buy the game told me he "couldn't wait home to play AC2" in class the other day. I think AC1, regardless of it's reception, did well for itself; with the word spreading about AC2 we'll definitely see great numbers for the game either sooner or later. I just want EVERYTHING that is supposed to be available on disc.
I also hope the rumor of DLC Rome is fulfilled. The Rome level, though linear, was so rad.
I wish it was a proper level in the game.

Razorskin

----- ------
Even though this is a better game than the first it probably won't sell as well but It'll still do good come NPD time. And the third game is coming out regardless of weak sales.

jett

D-Member
Yeah I guess the Lineage thing wasn't all that bright of an idea.

Anyway, I was disappointed there was only one
flying machine level
. In their trailers and presentations they made it seem like it was a big part of the game. Not even a side-mission? That shit is just lame.

yeah, this is goty for me and beats out Infamous. I thought Infamous was also one of the best games this gen, so, AC2 has even higher honors than that. Incredible game. I hope AC3 is 2010.

wRATH2x

Banned
Rez said:
if you're at the correct moment during Memory Block 14 (I think), interact with the pillar infront of the board of codex pages once they're correctly aligned
Alright I'm trying to interact with it, but nothing happens.

kaskade

Just got (not a huge spoiler but)
Altair's armor
. I can't get enough of this game. I'm about 15 hours in and maybe only 70% complete.

wRATH2x

Banned
Linkzg said:
yeah, this is goty for me and beats out Infamous. I thought Infamous was also one of the best games this gen, so, AC2 has even higher honors than that. Incredible game. I hope AC3 is 2010.
As if 2010 doesn't already look filled with greatness! I hope it does happen though.

Can't believe I had second thoughts about picking this up. I got it on Friday and have put in 8 hours so far. I never put that kind of time into a game but I was up till 3am playing the hell outta this last night. Soooooo good. Anyone on the fence about getting this, just get it and thank everyone in here later.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
have you correctly aligned all the pieces to form a world map? when they're in place, you can no longer rotate them.

and AC3 will be 2011. there's no way they'd be able to build another game this big in less than 12 months!

kaskade

Also, I want to visit Venice now. I always wanted to but this just made my interest spike. I will go before I die(or it sinks).

unomas

Banned
Great game, but it started a little slow for me, I'm a little over 7 hours in and have completed the 4 block. Things are really starting to ramp up and I'm enjoying it more now, can't wait to see how the rest of it plays out. I'm saving my feather hunting for when I'm done with the rest of the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just realised that I never did one beat-em up mission, assassin contract, race or side mission.

oh well, more to do now I'm finished.

Sean

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Omg the Assassin Secret Tomes are my favorite parts of this game- totally fills the void of my Prince of Persia love.

The Prince of Persia team should feel totally ashamed… they got upstaged by what are essentially side areas in ACII.

I hope we get more of those levels as DLC, they were my favorite part of the game too.

OK, so I came around to this game and it is quickly become one of the top three games this year for me. U2 and NSMBWii are the others. I just completed the catacomb mission for the assassins tomb was amazing. So was the platforming in the church to get the assasins seal. So amazing. I take back everything bad I said about this game! <3 AC2.

jett

D-Member
Sean said:
The Prince of Persia team should feel totally ashamed&#8230; they got upstaged by what are essentially side areas in ACII.

I hope we get more of those levels as DLC, they were my favorite part of the game too.

You should remember that the core team of Assassins Creed worked on Sands of Time, Patrice Desilets was the creative director of both games. It doesn't come as a surprise to me that they utterly destroyed the pop b-team. :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's more a question of branding. Assassin's Creed WAS originally supposed to be the next-gen Prince of Persia, but the management decided to make it a whole new IP because it was so different. As a result, the Prince of Persia games HAVE to aim a different market and can't be too much like AC (the free-climbing mechanics, the realism, city environments, etc.). So really, there is little margin to change the PoP games without re-inventing them. And PoP 2008 suffered from going through many iterations (concept downgrades), next-gen uncertainties, and AC's development. The original open-world-ish concept for PoP 2008 would have been the good one to go for if they wanted to distance it from AC and at the same time re-invent the series.

Ranger X

Shurs said:
Question: How do I solicit the help of the prostitutes?

You need to be at least a couple of missions into the second sequence first of all.
Then when you're around some courtesans group, highlight or lock-on one and press Y button (triangle on PS3)

Shurs

Ranger X said:
You need to be at least a couple of missions into the second sequence first of all.
Then when you're around some courtesans group, highlight or lock-on one and press Y button (triangle on PS3)

Thanks.

Spoo

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Also, I want to visit Venice now. I always wanted to but this just made my interest spike. I will go before I die(or it sinks).

This. Only been to Canada, and Canada sucks. I want to see the world, and Italy, in general, seems so absolutely amazing... I have to see it with my family :\ So awesome

The platforming in the tomb segments is amazing. I just finished the first two and I am in awe. The level design is especially impressive, considering these are based on real buildings. I have to say I love the historical element in the AC games, even if it is pretty out there in some ways. I wish more games had a basis in history (excluding WWII, we get enough of that) and such fine attention to detail.

conman

A few pages back, I was lamenting the loss of HUD-less/map-less play. But after more hours of play, I'm not missing it. :D

It just doesn't need it. Where in the first game, Altair was basically a medieval secret agent/investigator; in AC2, Ezio is much more of the classic gentleman-thief. It just wouldn't make thematic/narrative sense to have Ezio performing investigations. It's not how his character works. Beyond that, it wouldn't make gameplay sense either. This game is all about the "street level" and not about the rooftops like the first one was. In AC2, it doesn't make sense to be the solitary investigator looking for clues from a high perch. Ezio is always down with the people (moving within groups, talking to people he knows, etc).

However, I am still looking for ways to introduce slightly more challenge into the game. It all feels a bit too straight-forward. I enjoy the pace, but I miss some of the more ponderous and challenging bits of the first one (played without the HUD or map). So far, I've found a great combination of HUD elements for AC2. I only have my money and the SSI enabled. I use the map screen to find my next locations (which encourages me to learn the areas well). And there's no need for the controls (since they're easily learned), mini-map (since that's handled by the map screen), or health bar (since you rarely die).

But I'm still looking for that special "hook." The first game had the investigative method, but I still haven't found something comparable in this one. I haven't gotten far enough to know if the investment/banking/management aspects of the game become more complex, but so far they seem pretty straight-forward. I will say though that the designers have obviously done their research into the history of banking. They are impressively familiar with the impact that double-entry bookkeeping had. They even seem to know something about the "secret chambers" associated with merchants and bankers of the early Italian Renaissance! If any of you are interested in this stuff, there are some great books and essays on this (for example, Mary Poovey has a great chapter in her book A History of the Modern Fact).

Anyhow, I have yet to finish the game, and I'm seriously loving the experience, but I'm hoping I'll find a special feature like the one that set AC1 apart from every other game. I'd love to hear what the rest of you think, especially if you're one of the few who played the first one without the map and HUD.

jett

D-Member
conman said:
A few pages back, I was lamenting the loss of HUD-less/map-less play. But after more hours of play, I'm not missing it. :D

It just doesn't need it. Where in the first game, Altair was basically a medieval secret agent/investigator; in AC2, Ezio is much more of the classic gentleman-thief. It just wouldn't make thematic/narrative sense to have Ezio performing investigations. It's not how his character works. Beyond that, it wouldn't make gameplay sense either. This game is all about the "street level" and not about the rooftops like the first one was. In AC2, it doesn't make sense to be the solitary investigator looking for clues from a high perch. Ezio is always down with the people (moving within groups, talking to people he knows, etc).

However, I am still looking for ways to introduce slightly more challenge into the game. It all feels a bit too straight-forward. I enjoy the pace, but I miss some of the more ponderous and challenging bits of the first one (played without the HUD or map). So far, I've found a great combination of HUD elements for AC2. I only have my money and the SSI enabled. I use the map screen to find my next locations (which encourages me to learn the areas well). And there's no need for the controls (since they're easily learned), mini-map (since that's handled by the map screen), or health bar (since you rarely die).

But I'm still looking for that special "hook." The first game had the investigative method, but I still haven't found something comparable in this one. I haven't gotten far enough to know if the investment/banking/management aspects of the game become more complex, but so far they seem pretty straight-forward. I will say though that the designers have obviously done their research into the history of banking. They are impressively familiar with the impact that double-entry bookkeeping had. They even seem to know something about the "secret chambers" associated with merchants and bankers of the early Italian Renaissance! If any of you are interested in this stuff, there are some great books and essays on this (for example, Mary Poovey has a great chapter in her book A History of the Modern Fact).

Anyhow, I have yet to finish the game, and I'm seriously loving the experience, but I'm hoping I'll find a special feature like the one that set AC1 apart from every other game. I'd love to hear what the rest of you think, especially if you're one of the few who played the first one without the map and HUD.

Actually there are plenty of moments in AC2 that require you to reach high ground and look for your target using eagle vision. I'm assuming you're very early into the game still.

Metiphis

Why does running around on the rooftops sound like sneakers on a gym floor? :p

You will now think of this every time you run around on the roofs.

TheExecutive said:
OK, so I came around to this game and it is quickly become one of the top three games this year for me. U2 and NSMBWii are the others. I just completed the catacomb mission for the assassins tomb was amazing. So was the platforming in the church to get the assasins seal. So amazing. I take back everything bad I said about this game! <3 AC2.

Mhm that was the moment I realized this is my multiplatform GOTY.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the highlight of the entire game was the Assassin's Seal in the church in Florence (I believe it's the seal most people will get second). It was just such an amazing area. Prince of Persia to the max.

All of the Tombs were just godly.

Saterium

Out of curiosity, I just reached
Forli
(Ezio city name). How much more of the game is left? Loving every minute of it so far and even going so far as to collect every feather, chest, and do every side quest.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Saterium said:
Out of curiosity, I just reached
Forli
(Ezio city name). How much more of the game is left? Loving every minute of it so far and even going so far as to collect every feather, chest, and do every side quest.
you're abooout half-way

Excellent game. I'll keep it spoiler-free as far as story is concerned, but yeah. Amazing.

+ Compelling main story
+ Side Missions that make sense and were a lot of fun
+ Database (excellent supplement pieces)
+ Graphics (see: Venice, Carnivale)
+ New Weapons, Kills
+ Upgrades

- Fighting system
- Not enough character development/exploration
- Not enough ripping off Zelda (horseback combat, bow & arrow :D )

My general thought is that Ubisoft should react to the reception of ACII
like they did to AC1: add tons of awesome shit and be out to prove something.
ACII put the franchise back on the path of legend, but AC3 could be the "San Andreas" of
the series if they really go all out.

But a job very well done Ubi Montreal. And Patrice.. you're awesome!

bran

No wonder Kojima shows great interest in Assassin's Creed, there's some serious The Patriots Big Boss shit in this:

- solid snake, clone of a great soldier, desmond a "clone" of altair
- snake fights against secret, omnipresent society, desmond fights against secret, omnipresent society
- snake does VR missions (whole MGS3 is VR mission, some people think), so does desmond
- snake goes "huh?", desmond goes "fuck!"

Just finished it. Is no MGS4 but hella close.

Here's what I want AC3 to be set in:

American, late 1700 to early 1800, Quebec City, Boston, Philadaphia, American history, Freemasonry, tie all that crap in.

And some modern day levels, team up with Sam Fisher.

conman

jett said:
Actually there are plenty of moments in AC2 that require you to reach high ground and look for your target using eagle vision. I'm assuming you're very early into the game still.
Naw. I figure I'm about a third to halfway through. My point wasn't that there aren't those moments; just that they're not the focus this time around. There's a lot more game that happens on ground level and among other people. A lot less solitary and a lot less altitude. Not a bad thing; just a different focus.

Buckethead said:
Excellent game. I'll keep it spoiler-free as far as story is concerned, but yeah. Amazing.

+ Compelling main story
+ Side Missions that make sense and were a lot of fun
+ Database (excellent supplement pieces)
+ Graphics (see: Venice, Carnivale)
+ New Weapons, Kills
+ Upgrades

- Fighting system
- Not enough character development/exploration
- Not enough ripping off Zelda (horseback combat, bow & arrow :D )

My general thought is that Ubisoft should react to the reception of ACII
like they did to AC1: add tons of awesome shit and be out to prove something.
ACII put the franchise back on the path of legend, but AC3 could be the "San Andreas" of
the series if they really go all out.

But a job very well done Ubi Montreal. And Patrice.. you're awesome!

It does have horseback combat. I'm at the end now and only got one chance to do it though.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having some trouble getting to my final treasure chest in Monteriggioni. It's this one right here: map spoilerz

Anyone got that one yet?

bridegur

I'm only about an hour in, but I'm a little underwhelmed so far. The framerate seems to be all over the place, and I'm afraid that inFamous has spoiled me control-wise.

Zzoram

bridegur said:
I'm only about an hour in, but I'm a little underwhelmed so far. The framerate seems to be all over the place, and I'm afraid that inFamous has spoiled me control-wise.

It's not framerate, it's screen tearing. PS3 version is only 1fps lower than 360 on average, but has 3x the screen tearing. It almost makes me regret choosing the PS3 version except the game is so fun that I can overlook the performance.

jett said:
This is actually one of my favourite things about some of the assassinations, that you actually have to find your target over a general area in many cases rather than him being pointed out by a dot on the map or an arrow above his head.

My clock mark 15 hours but I'm pretty sure that I played more than 20 hours, lol. So far is my GOTY, my only complain is the stealth, is not good enough to me, you have the tools and this amazing environments but the stealth is not working, maybe is beacuse the A.I.

This game at night is the most beautiful game ever, sometimes it looks like a Da Vinci or botticelli painting.

Solo

infinityBCRT said:
I'm just hoping AC2 doesn't bomb in sales. I think they'll turn a profit for sure (they'll need to sell over a million copies which it should do) but I don't know if it will be the monster hit that AC1 was (8 million I think?). If it does sell as well as AC1 though, I'm hoping they put a lot more money into AC3's development because they would have made a ton off the first two games and the third game will likely be hyped by everyone because AC2 is so good.

I dont fathom any scenario in which AC2 doesnt sll extremely well. The first game was a HUGE hit, and despite us whiny internet gamers, the majority of people who bought the game loved it. AC2 is the sequel to a beloved game that is by all accounts vastly superior There is no reason it shouldnt sell like crazy.

Rez said:
I think the bad reception AC1 received, among casuals and enthusiasts alike, is the primary reason AC2 is getting a bit less fan-fare. Good word-of-mouth should help it do well, though.

Thats the thing though. AC1 DIDNT receive a bad reception anywheres outside the internet, which is a small minority of gamers. Reviews were great, and the mass audience loved it.

duckroll

Solo said:
Thats the thing though. AC1 DIDNT receive a bad reception anywheres outside the internet, which is a small minority of gamers. Reviews were great, and the mass audience loved it.

Did it even get a bad reception on the internet? It certainly got a bad reception among a few small GROUPS on the internet sure, but I think tons of people have been very vocal about having enjoyed it and were looking forward to the sequel.

Prine

Banned
The story in this game is what shocks me the most. Its very good, and much tighter then AC1. And linking our quest to real events in history is what makes it interesting.

What AC2 remebers as a sequel that so many others forget is it never stops talking about Altair and his movement. He's almost a god here, which is rewarding to see, as whatever happened in AC1 has left its mark in time, becoming something Altair would have never imagined. And we being Altair its satisfying to see.

Im on 20% but im gripped!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just started playing the game (360 version) , I have to say .. pretty impressed so far, visually and story-wise. Game looks hella' sharp and noticeably better than the first one .. and there's already more story in the first 10 minutes than the entire first game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
I can only speak anecdotally, but a group of my semi-casual friends who usually only play the 'blockbuster' games (COD, Halo, GTA) aren't all that interested in AC2 after playing AC1.

So yeah, take that fwiw, which might not be much.

Top Bottom