• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Mirage | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Assasin's Creed Mirage will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 75 29.1%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 46.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So.....no preorder for you?
Im Out See Ya GIF by ADWEEK

A friend of mine said this. He said this was mentioned by Ubi during that stream they had (last year I think?) where Mirage was revealed where they showed the whole AC roadmap.

Perhaps he was thinking of another AC? Hey, if he got that wrong, GREAT! :)
There are officially currently 12 AC games in the making (10, since Mirage is now out and Nexus is releasing next month)

AC: Mirage (Crossgen, Baghdad aased, 2023)
AC: Nexus (VR Only, November 16th 2023)

All these below codenames, no final names yet.

AC: Red (Next Gen Only, Japan based, 2024)
AC: Hexe (Next Gen Only, Witchcraft based, 2025/2026
AC: Nebula (Next Gen Only, Single Player, in prototype)
AC: IV Black Flag Remake (Next Gen Only, Single Player, esrly development)
AC: Invictus (Next Gen Only, Multiplayer, TBA)
AC: Raid (Next Gen Only, Multiplayer, prototype)
AC: Echoes (Next Gen Only, Multiplayer, prototype)
AC: Jade (Mobile iOS/Android, China based, TBA))
AC: Nexus 2 (VR Only, being discussed, TBA)

Last edited:
TBH I don't really care about the scores. What matters to me most is that while ACII blew my mind back in the day, it's when the series dipped it's toes into RPG territory that I felt like it finally was complete. And yeah stealth was just as important, and even more effective and interesting thanks to bigger worlds and more varied methods of entry, hiding, distracting and killing. All laced with two things I love. Levelling up, and getting GEAR!

So yeah for us who loved Odyssey and Valhalla, Mirage does sound like a major step back. But it's not like all is lost, as Red will be more like the former than the latter.

And yeah I even loved the dark sheep, Assassin's Creed III. I love that game. But honestly using Valhalla as a base, and removing pieces to make it more like a classic style AC sounds good on paper, as like I said Odyssey and Valhalla really nailed that stealth. But many of the reviews really do make it sound like sadly, it didn't work out as well as it should have.
I really like Origins and what I've played so far of Odyssey, but I wish they still had the old school parkour systems and not just free climbing on everything. I like the way the old games "felt". Nothing wrong with the newer ones, though I wish they would still make games in parallel of the style of Brotherhood for example.

There are officially currently 12 AC games in the making (10, since Mirage is now out and Nexus is releasing next month)

I really wish they would do Aztec/Mayan/Mesoamerican style setting. When I first played the original a few months ago (really late to the series as a whole) and I saw the imagery at the end of the game I was super hyped thinking that they had perhaps already done that era/time but was sad to learn they have yet to and may not go there.

Stafford

Holy fucking shit, that is a lot of AC, sheesh.

Red is 2024? Ok, now that sounds good to me. Sounds like he got Red mixed up with Raid, lol.

I really wish they would do Aztec/Mayan/Mesoamerican style setting. When I first played the original a few months ago (really late to the series as a whole) and I saw the imagery at the end of the game I was super hyped thinking that they had perhaps already done that era/time but was sad to learn they have yet to and may not go there.
Yeah that would be a very cool setting. Maybe that's what Nebula will be. I am super excited for Hexe because they are saying it's a very different single player game from what we're used to in AC. So I am curious too see that formula and they said it will be bloody and be during the Witchcraft period. That sounds incredible.

I am also curious why there are 3 multiplayer games in development. It's hard for me to imagine how you can have 3 dedicated games to multiplayer and make them all distinct. I will laugh if one of them is a battle royale.

Last edited:
Yeah that would be a very cool wetting. Maybe that's what Nebula will be. I am super excited for Hexe because they are saying it's a very different single player game from what we're used to in AC. So I am curious too see that formula and they said it will be bloody and be during the Witchcraft period. That sounds incredible.

I am also curious why there are 3 multiplayer games in development. It's hard for me to imagine how you can have 3 dedicated games to multiplsyer and make them all distinct. I will laugh if one of them is a battle royale.
Yeah, I definitely don't have any interest at all in any multiplayer AC titles, but look greatly forward to any single player efforts! The setting IS these games for me, love it.

Kacho

So 4 more single player AssCreeds before Ubi goes all in on multiplayer live service titles? Interesting.

I'm a bit confused by the comments saying it doesn't reach the heights of Odessy/Valhalla/Origins when those were clearly different games compared to the AC games that came before them 🤔 shouldn't we be comparing this to the likes of Syndicate/Unity/Black Flag etc?

Anyway, maybe I missed something. Will check on the reviews proper when I get a chance
Yeah, I don't get that either. This game clearly isn't setting out to do anything like those three so I'm not sure why they are comparing them like that. I mean - compare in some ways, sure, but I agree a better comparison is going to be the older titles. But I'd wager a lot of people (and therefore reviewers) haven't even played AC before Origins and that could be a factor.

So 4 more single player AssCreeds before Ubi goes all in on multiplayer live service titles? Interesting.
The multiplayer games will be seperate entities I believe that will release alongside the single player games in same timeframe/year. That list is not in any particular order. I believe Invictus will be coming 2024 at the earliest, but that's speculation. AC Red is confirmed for 2024 though.

Last edited:

Kacho

The multiplayer games will be seperate entities I believe that will release alongside the single player games in same timeframe/year. That list is not in any particular order. I believe Invictus will be coming 2024 at the earliest, but that's speculation. AC Red is confirmed for 2024 though.
Guess we will have to wait and see how it shakes out

I'm excited for this one. I'll probably buy it on PC to max it out in 4K.

So far it basically looks like it's going to be a more interesting version of Origins that feels more streamlined and closer to the original trilogy gameplay wise. Which is a great thing for me.

Though I can only imagine how incredible Baghdad would have looked in the AC: Unity engine.

Lupin25

Damn. 78?

I was way off and no way did I think this would score lower than Valhalla. Still will pick this up eventually though.

Problems seem to stem from remnants of AC Valhalla here, especially when compared to AI. Makes sense because it was initially a planned DLC, but that kind of sucks as AC Valhalla is more of an action game.

They can improve it, of course, but a rework of the stealth system is definitely due.
Hopefully, they’ve worked on this extensively for AC Red knowing Splinter Cell is their inspiration.

Nothing worse than dumb AI in a semi-imposed stealth game.

Last edited:
Damn. 78?

I was way off and no way did I think this would score lower than Valhalla. Still will pick this up eventually though.

Problems seem to stem from remnants of AC Valhalla here, especially when compared to AI. Makes sense because it was initially a planned DLC, but that kind of sucks as AC Valhalla is more of an action game.

They can improve it, of course, but a rework of the stealth system is definitely due.
Hopefully, they’ve worked on this extensively for AC Red knowing Splinter Cell is their inspiration. Nothing worse than dumb AI in a semi-imposed stealth game.
Yepper. The mechanics/style of Valhalla just doesn't work well with the old style of AC, and that is the main issue here with Mirage. But other than that, it's a good game that is worthy of a play.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Damn. 78?

Hopefully, they’ve worked on this extensively for AC Red knowing Splinter Cell is their inspiration.

Nothing worse than dumb AI in a semi-imposed stealth game.
78 isn’t a bad score.

Lupin25

Yepper. The mechanics/style of Valhalla just doesn't work well with the old style of AC, and that is the main issue here with Mirage. But other than that, it's a good game that is worthy of a play.

Worth a try for sure. I’ll pick it up just don’t want to put it down halfway through, because the repetitive nature of the game (quest design). A smaller scope should mean a much better game in every facet, in theory.

78 isn’t a bad score.

Never said it was a bad score. But the aim isn’t to score lower than the previously entry that’s for sure.

You know how forgiving reviewers had to be for Valhalla to hover between an 82 on Open/Meta. For a franchise like AC that’s being fully backed by Ubisoft like no other IP I expected a little more, but it will be still good no doubt about that.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned

Jesus Christ

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Kinda Funny said despite having Spider-Man 2 on hand they didn't want to stop playing Mirage.
Interesting.....

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Can't see Assassins Creed Remake or Assassins Creed Unity Remastered.
That's fucked up

GymWolf

Do we know something about the witchcraft one? i would kill for a proper magic infamous.

Last edited:
Do we know something about the witchcraft one? i would kill for a proper magic infamous.
Source - https://www.gamesradar.com/assassins-creed-codename-hexe-guide/

Assassin's Creed Hexe is described by Ubisoft's Marc-Alexis Cote as a "new flagship title" in the series, one which will be "a very different type of Assassin's Creed game." That much is evident from the tone of the reveal, which opens with ominous music and dead leaves floating from rotting trees – a far cry from the bombast that has been typically associated with Assassin's Creed reveal trailers in the past. If this first look is anything to go by, Assassin's Creed Hexe could be the darkest installment to the series yet.

Game apparently is set in 16th century during the Witchcraft trials. A pivotal time in history: A sort of mass hysteria gripped the continent as 80,000 people were executed, all for the crime of being in league with the devil.

TLDR - Very different AC with a unique time period. The most darkest and horror of them all.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Assassin's Creed Hexe is described by Ubisoft's Marc-Alexis Cote as a "new flagship title" in the series, one which will be "a very different type of Assassin's Creed game." That much is evident from the tone of the reveal, which opens with ominous music and dead leaves floating from rotting trees – a far cry from the bombast that has been typically associated with Assassin's Creed reveal trailers in the past. If this first look is anything to go by, Assassin's Creed Hexe could be the darkest installment to the series yet.

Game apparently is set in 16th century during the Witchcraft trials. A pivotal time in history: A sort of mass hysteria gripped the continent as 80,000 people were executed, all for the crime of being in league with the devil.

TLDR - Very different AC with a unique time period. The most darkest and horror of them all.
Interesting.

Why? The games are selling more than they ever have in the past. Mirage probably won’t outperform Valhalla but I doubt that’s their expectation. The first big “next gen” AssCreed drops next year.
AC Mirage is $49.99 game thar was originally a DLC for Valhalla. But they went for a mini sized AC instead and decided to make it a filler while they spend the proper amount of time for a true next gen AC. As an AC fan I've never been more excited for the future of this franchise.

People obviously like what Ubisoft produces. Otherwise, it wouldn't sell. It's same thing with Call of Duty. If someone is personally sick and tired of a franchise then that's their problem and no one is forcing them to play it. Never understood why others who don't care anymore for something are wanting others to stop enjoying the games that they do like.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If they want to go back to its roots, they should go do another pirate one. Black Flag was great. Loved exploring and playing in that setting.

Kacho

AC Mirage is $49.99 game thar was originally a DLC for Valhalla. But they went for a mini sized AC instead and decided to make it a filler while they spend the proper amount of time for a true next gen AC. As an AC fan I've never been more excited for the future of this franchise.

People obviously like what Ubisoft produces. Otherwise, it wouldn't sell. It's same thing with Call of Duty. If someone is personally sick and tired of a franchise then that's their problem and no one is forcing them to play it. Never understood why others who don't care anymore for something are wanting others to stop enjoying the games that they do like.
It’s easy to hate on Ubisoft games but they clearly have an audience.

Mirage and Far Cry avatar this year is good eating as far as I’m concerned.

Star Wars Outlaws and AssCreed Nippon in 2024 are gonna crush it.

BTW, for any lurkers reading...Notice how the thread became a big argument...but...at no time did any of us used personal insults or directly attacked each other. Only attacking points.

This is why you should join GAF. We are a good bunch!
#advert :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But yeah, GAF is quite a chill community :p

Anyway, there's tons of lurkers indeed lol.

Members online 527
Guests online 3,917

Last edited:
It’s easy to hate on Ubisoft games but they clearly have an audience.

Mirage and Far Cry avatar this year is good eating as far as I’m concerned.

Star Wars Outlaws and AssCreed Nippon in 2024 are gonna crush it.
100%. Excited for both years. Can't wait to play SW Outlaws, it looks way more fun than Jedi. That was a good game, but Outlaws looks truly next gen.

I do wish for a new Rayman though and hoping that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is not dead but I fear its stuck in development hell.

Last edited:

Kacho

100%. Excited for both years. Can't wait to play SW Outlaws, it looks way more fun than Jedi. That was a good game, but Outlaws looks truly next gen.

I do wish for a new Rayman though and hoping that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is not dead but I fear its stuck in development hell.
First open world Star Wars ever right? Excluding the MMOs of course. That will be a big selling point. Plus it’s an Ubisoft game so you know what to expect for your money.

Bojji

LOL

Maybe they should focus on quality instead of quantity.

LOL

Maybe they should focus on quality instead of quantity.
I mean. It's going to be 4 years since AC Valhalla have come out when AC Red releases. And Mirage is a seperate mini thing that came out 3 years after AC Valhalla. I don't see the issue here.

What about the 7 Gran Turismos that Sony released? Or the 8 God of War titles including 1, 2, 3 ascension, 2 psp games and the 2 new modern era titles? Should they focus on quality too?

Aren't we at like Call of Duty 20+ nowadays? This whole "franchise fatigue" excuse is starting to get old. Everyone is doing it when a franchise sells well.

Time to go knock at Nintendo HQs and tell them to stop making Zelda and Mario games. Those have been around the 80s. Good luck with that though, let me know what Nintendo tells you.

People act like Ubisoft is the only developer or publisher that keeps making sequels. Its almost like some sort of a weird curse or they are just being treated as a red headed step child. But it's ok when everyone else does it. Lol, absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:
What are we doing here? We really have a "actually the best reviews are on OpenCritic" debate? Just fucking play games for yourselves
Come on man, you know this is how games are played these days. Nobody actually plays the games themselves they wait for someone to tell them what to play, how to play and when to play because apparently everyone under the age of 30 has a mental illness and can’t get through life without an influencer telling them how to live…

Top Bottom