• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins: Combat and Arena Deep Dive - IGN First

Ralemont

not me
Combat looks great. I liked the "rhythm game" combat of Syndicate but this looks like an upgrade in virtually every way, especially in how different weapons can alter the strategy of a fight.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Hand to hand looking meaty
ImmenseLoneCurassow.gif

My only issue is that fighting like this needs to actually move in the space.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Must be something about brown environments. I've never hear anyone complain about how all that pavement in the streets is too much or how all that water is like 24/7 Water. I've never seen so many complaints about an actual part of an actual environment a game is set in before except for games taking place where there is a lot of sand, desert or other brown environment.

Yeah I'm most likely never going to use the sniper bow if it's only use is for changing the arrow's course. That new dev diary video should have it's own thread, it looks far better than what I've seen so far, glad I jumped the gun with my pre-order during E3. End of October is still so far away. :(

Theorry

Yeah I'm most likely never going to use the sniper bow if it's only use is for changing the arrow's course. That new dev diary video should have it's own thread, it looks far better than what I've seen so far, glad I jumped the gun with my pre-order during E3.

Think the "uzi" bow looks really cool. With how he holds the other arrows in his hands.

cackhyena

I don't get people's hangup with the magic arrow. You have magic vision that lets you see all kinds of shit you shouldn't. You jump from unreal heights into hay piles that would have you pancaked anyway. There are Gods in the timeline...and fuckery with time itself. Maaaaybe you can let this one go.

Theorry

I don't get people's hangup with the magic arrow. You have magic vision that lets you see all kinds of shit you shouldn't. You jump from unreal heights into hay piles that would have you pancaked anyway. There are Gods in the timeline...and fuckery with time itself. Maaaaybe you can let this one go.

Sure its not a big thing. But they show how the combat is "realistic" then this feels abit out of place.

Think the "uzi" bow looks really cool. With how he hold the other arrows in his hands.
Yeah I noticed it too, I had to rewind it and watch it again, love small details like that. Will definitely be the bow I'll be using the most, could give some great variations of combinations with different melee weapons, or even barehanded.

cackhyena

Sure its not a big thing. But they show how the combat is "realistic" then this feels abit out of place.

I don't even see how the combat is more realistic. People died quicker in the old games, it seems. This is hack and slash (and I like that to a degree) and a more hands on approach. It's all some videogame ass videogaming. Let's just roll with it.

Crossing Eden

Eh, the vision thing is explained via genetic in the context of the AC universe. I suppose this has to do a lot with the animus or has a mythological explanation.

cackhyena

Eh, the vision thing is explained via genetic in the context of the AC universe. I suppose this has to do a lot with the animus or has a mythological explanation.

It's all unrealistic. It's the easiest thing to just explain away anything you want in these games with what they've done in the past already. They can treat it like The Matrix.

Alienous

As I said before it is stupid thing that shouldn't be in the game. There is no way to explain it in any rational way. It really is stupid.

As I said before it's easy for the game to dismiss with "Legend has it that Bayek's skills in archery were such that the arrow would seem to curve in the air towards his target" skill description. It needs no in-narrative explanation - the entire context of the game is a simulation - you aren't seeing things exactly as they actually happened.

Check my first post and the " "

Yeah... If you think the combat was "realistic" then I fail to see how the arrow suddenly feels out of place as it is just as "realistic" as the combat...
EDIT: Will continue this in about an hour or so, have a chiropractors appointment gat dangit.

Theorry

Yeah... If you think the combat was "realistic" then I fail to see how the arrow suddenly feels out of place as it is just as "realistic" as the combat...
EDIT: Will continue this in about an hour or so, have a chiropractors appointment gat dangit.

More they talked about changing to hitboxes and using the best weapon for the situation. The game seems to have more depth with the combat and then i saw a arrow changing its course and that took me out abit. Its a not a big deal and wont impact my enjoyment and i am sure other people dont like other things. No game is perfect.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I don't mind the arrow bit if I might have fun controlling it. I don't mind that the combat is improved. I don't even mind if the level of realism isn't consistent. I just want a solid story, good immersive environments, and nothing so janky that it is game breaking. For me, a lot is forgivable. Heck, controlling the flight of the arrow could be fun or made to be fun (especially if drunk).

dex3108

As I said before it's easy for the game to dismiss with "Legend has it that Bayek's skills in archery were such that the arrow would seem to curve in the air towards his target" skill description. It needs no in-narrative explanation - the entire context of the game is a simulation - you aren't seeing things exactly as they actually happened.

Then there shouldn't be fall damage, Bayek should be able to jump 10m in the air... they need to decide what they want. So far AC was always leaning towards plausible (except that stupid Evie invisibility). They were grounded as much as they could. With Origins they pick and choose what is possible and what not. And that's the issue i have.

Crossing Eden

It's all unrealistic. It's the easiest thing to just explain away anything you want in these games with what they've done in the past already. They can treat it like The Matrix.
I just feel that's the one power I'll avoid using. Rarely used the invisibility for Evie.

dex3108

I tweeted to Raphael Lacoste (AC Art Director) to push for Photo Mode in Origins and he liked that tweet so there is hope :D It would really be shame if there is no Photo Mode in my opinion. Nvidia Ansel would be amazing because we could take 360 degree screenshots :D

Theorry

I tweeted to Raphael Lacoste (AC Art Director) to push for Photo Mode in Origins and he liked that tweet so there is hope :D It would really be shame if game there is no Photo Mode in my opinion. Nvidia Ansel would be amazing because we could take 360 degree screenshots :D

Would be cool yeah. I always say it but every dev should put a photo mode in their game. Sure its takes time. Becausee great shots sell copies.

Top Bottom