• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins October Previews

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Draw Distance on PS4 looking nice, unfortunately none of the leaked streams are using actual recording equipment so everything is hella compresed:
PowerlessAdmirableAustraliankelpie.gif

shimon

Top left, "Control Schemes". Switch it to Legacy and it'll play like the other ones.

Yeah I know I just don't like the default. Hopefully you can put dodge on Circle like in souls. Everything else seems to be "soulsy".

Hmm... I'll see what the reviews say. After having spent 80 euros on Mass Effect, and getting bamboozled by Destiny 2, I think I'll wait until the dust settles. Even though I really do want to play it.

Good choice.

Toa TAK

Banned
Re: The soundtrack one last time, but the reason I'm really looking forward to Sarah Schachner's sound is right there in the UbiBlog profile. She really understands part of what made Asassin's Creed II' soundtrack so damn great (and by extension 1, and lesser, Brotherhood and Revelations) in this quote here:

UbiBlog said:
That mysterious and understated vibe is something I appreciated about Jesper Kyd’s work on the early games, and I wanted to go back to that approach. That, to me, is the essence of Assassin’s Creed and was most fitting for Bayek’s personality and maturity.

That and having more ambient music makes me pretty excited for this game's score. I'm really digging the 5 tracks they've released so far. We may not get Jesper Kyd again, but this, to me, seems like the next best bet.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah I know I just don't like the default. Hopefully you can put dodge on Circle like in souls. Everything else seems to be "soulsy".
One of the control schemes does in fact have circle as the dodge button. Not sure which one.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, story is subjective, but the gameplay mechanics in Unity were such a huge move forward from 3's mechanics. I mean just based on the parkour alone and how much more control you had, the larger play spaces for the missions, the core gameplay being based less on context and more on actual manual control. It was very refreshing compared to Rogue even despite the fact that Rogue had you play as a templar.

I easily preferred Rogue's controls/free running over Unity's by far. Hated Unity's up/down/left/right button setup as opposed to Rogue where that's done via the analog stick. I had way more problems in Unity with the character almost never going to where I wanted him to go or jump compared to Rogue (and BF).

Story and characters were easily better in Rogue especially since the one connection that both games shared was screwed up in Unity somehow. Unity easily had far better visuals and whatnot but once you get past the visuals, Rogue was simply a better and more fun game overall for me personally.

Loved Black Flag and Rogue even more since it eliminated the eavesdropping missions which I hated in BF. Also, Rogue was a pure single player story based game. Unity had co-op and the heists that were meant for co-op. In short, a decent amount of the good content in Unity was restricted behind co-op. Trying solo was a pain in the ass, frustrating and simply not any fun.

I will say that the combat was better in Unity but not by much. Out of the five AC games that I have completed, Unity is 4th. I have it as follows -

1. Rogue (9.5/10...yeah, I know that's high but man I loved this game and with the exception of there only being six or seven sequences, I literally had zero complaints and my main negative from Black Flag which was the eavesdropping missions were eliminated completely...I know that some people looked at it as a copy and paste from BF but to be perfectly honest, that's why I loved it so much. Basically, an ice cold version of BF. Also, I loved the ship battles.)

2. Black Flag (9/10...same as Rogue but hated the eavesdropping missions which lowered the score for me.)

3. Syndicate (8.5/10...easily better than Unity for me. Pure single player which so much good stuff in it to do. Liked Jacob but Evie was awesome especially since she was the better overall character when it came to combat and stealth...story was good, loved the final boss fight and ending...still hated the cover system and controls)

4. Unity (8/10...played this a few months after launch due to the bugs and glitches but most of all, due to playing Rogue instead...visuals were great...some good ideas and concepts but the execution wasn't as good....hated the cover system and the control scheme change...combat was harder than BF/Rogue and somewhat better but not by much...decent story and characters)

5. Liberation HD (7/10...liked Aveline from the pre-order bonus missions from BF but the game itself while good just didn't grab me...of course, it was after BF which I loved so maybe that had something to do with it...also being a Vita port didn't help matters...good game but hooked me less than Unity which is saying something)

I'm expecting Origins to be between an 8-9 once im done with the game. Will say that I have become more hyped for Origins than I was for the bottom three games on my list. Looking forward to playing it next weekend.

This will be the second ACreed game I've owned.

AC2 was on my computer for over a year and I never really got into it. I just didn't identify with Ezio or Italy in general.

Plus the game mechanics weren't Uncharted enough for me.

So, I guess that means I never embraced the franchise. The new setting, combat and protagonist will hopefully change that.

JoeNut

I've not played one since the first original game, and this basically put me off any of the sequels because of the bits inside the office block just talking rubbish, plus the ending was terrible where you just fought all the people you killed again.

This game though, it looks fucking amazing, like it looks the game the first one should have been.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the GameSpot preview video of the retail PS4 build and the HUD options suck. There's only four options for the HUD - "show all", "light", "minimal" and "off".

I have not seen an actual list of all the HUD options like in previous games. If anyone can confirm how this is setup, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Top Bottom