• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Mixamp Pro muffled mic issues

Courage

I currently have a Mixamp Pro with an Antlion Modmic 4.0 for the Xbox and PS4, along with my HE-400 headphones.

The surround sound is great, and I have no complaints in that regard. My only issues arise with the modmic. Apparently the Mixamp Pro's noise gate muffles the mic quality, as plugging the Modmic directly into the controller (for both consoles) makes my voice clearer.

My question: Does anyone have a possible solution to this? If not, does anyone with the Turtle Beach DSS2 (a substitute for the Mixamp Pro) have a similar setup as mine? I'm thinking about switching to that; if the sound is comparable and the mic quality is better, I can finally ditch the Mixamp Pro.

Courage

I assume you've updated the firmware on the mixamp.
Yep. A suggestion I found online was to revert back to the original firmware, but that did nothing for the mic quality on my Xbox (actually made it worse), albeit slightly better on the PS4.

I tried three different versions of the MixAmp (including the new tr amp) and I had the same issue you're having. Astro's headsets are ok but I always prefered to use my own (Sennheiser G4ME One), and I always had issues when I paired them with the MixAmp. If I plugged them into anything but that amp, the mic was flawless, but with the MixAmp it was always too quiet, too muffled, and not nearly sensitive enough. Shame because everything but that part of the MixAmp was great.

Courage

I tried three different versions of the MixAmp (including the new tr amp) and I had the same issue you're having. Astro's headsets are ok but I always prefered to use my own (Sennheiser G4ME One), and I always had issues when I paired them with the MixAmp. If I plugged them into anything but that amp, the mic was flawless, but with the MixAmp it was always too quiet, too muffled, and not nearly sensitive enough. Shame because everything but that part of the MixAmp was great.
Did you end up finding an alternative?

Did you end up finding an alternative?

Sort of, but I don't think it'll help you. I already had a Schiit stack on my desk (I mostly game on PC) for my HD650s, so now I just use that for the audio plug on the gaming headset, and run a separate 3.5mm extension cable right from the mobo to the mic plug on the headset. It's not ideal but like you, I've struggled to find a better solution.

Courage

Sort of, but I don't think it'll help you. I already had a Schiit stack on my desk (I mostly game on PC) for my HD650s, so now I just use that for the audio plug on the gaming headset, and run a separate 3.5mm extension cable right from the mobo to the mic plug on the headset. It's not ideal but like you, I've struggled to find a better solution.
I also have a Schiit stack coincidentally. I don't see how I can use a splitter for the modmic and the headphones when the headphones will be directly connected to the amp and the dac has no other ports other than the USB that's connected to the console itself. I don't know if it makes a difference if the dac is optical.

I also have a Schiit stack coincidentally. I don't see how I can use a splitter for the modmic and the headphones when the headphones will be directly connected to the amp and the dac has no other ports other than the USB that's connected to the console itself. I don't know if it makes a difference if the dac is optical.

Yeah, I don't think this setup with that hardware would work for a console, unfortunately. :-(

Well, there goes that. I was looking for a dolby headphone solution for HD800s + a modmic for the ps4. Looks like I'll keep looking.

Top Bottom