• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASUS to launch second generation ROG Ally in 2024

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Asus introduced its first handheld gaming console, that is, the ROG Ally in India and globally last year. The device runs the Windows 11 and it capable of providing a complete Windows experience along with all the benefits of a gaming PC. During our conversation, Arnold shared that Asus is planning to bring a successor to the device sometime this year.

"…we most likely will launch a second generation [handheld gaming console] this year. We will still keep the Windows features, but we will focus more on gaming," he told Techlusive.

He also talked at length about the kind of response that ROG Ally has received in India in less than a year since its launch. "…in India we sold around 70,000 – 80,000 units," he said adding in India it was mostly the early adopters who purchased this gaming console as opposed to the developed countries that have a higher PC penetration rate.

Klosshufvud

Sweet, bring it on. I hope they opt for a bigger battery this time around, 8' 16:10 display, PS-style dpad and functional MicroSD slot (lol). Those changes would elevate a great handheld to the highest levels.

It's no surprise a new model is coming so soon. This is a market that's currently on fire. I see lots of people opt for these handhelds rather than big chunky laptops.

Xyphie

These kinds of devices should be updated when a new processor is available at a minimum, which is roughly a yearly cadence. AMD looks to be releasing their Strix Point (Zen5/RDNA3.5) APU in the second-half of this year and it's a drop-in replacement for the FP7 package the ROG Ally uses so the timeline is correct.

Klosshufvud

These kinds of devices should be updated when a new processor is available at a minimum, which is roughly a yearly cadence. AMD looks to be releasing their Strix Point (Zen5/RDNA3.5) APU in the second-half of this year and it's a drop-in replacement for the FP7 package the ROG Ally uses so the timeline is correct.
The graphical performance gains from Strix Point over Phoenix are modest at best. I would bet my money they will stick to their Z1 Extreme "custom" chip for this year aswell. ASUS is already providing driver support for the Z1E so I don't think they will fragment that software support by opting for a new, more expensive chip without the performance gains to justify it. Rather I would expect an SDOLED-like revision.

saobang3886

Neo Member
- Fix SD card slot.
- Hall joystick + Trigger.
- OLED screen.
- 32GB Ram.
- 50 Whr Battery.
- Bottom USB 4 port.
- 8840U or Z2 extreme chip.

This better call Rog Ally Ultra because APU power not much different.

Papa_Wisdom

Wish companies would go all in on small form factor pcs with a bit more power than these handhelds (with more power that can deal with temps etc in that form) I’d be all about something like that.

Cyberpunkd

All in favor. Keeps Valve from being complacent with the steamdeck 2 later on.
Valve:

Youre Funny Season 5 GIF by The Office

Wish companies would go all in on small form factor pcs with a bit more power than these handhelds (with more power that can deal with temps etc in that form) I’d be all about something like that.
Would not surprise me if Steammachines are coming back, in various power levels. From stationary maxed/overclocked Steamdeck hw to a variant with a 4090. Just saving on the Windows license and pre installing Steam OS would be a kinda big deal for PC gaming especially in emerging markets for a minimum variant. Would be kinda weird to not expand the use of Steam OS since most work should already be done in regards to making games even compatible.
People even seem to have fallen in love with Steam OS, even though compatibility is not 100%. Linux guys should push/ work with Valve to make any regular Linux a viable gaming platform too.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

Would not surprise me if Steammachines are coming back, in various power levels. From stationary maxed/overclocked Steamdeck hw to a variant with a 4090. Just saving on the Windows license and pre installing Steam OS would be a kinda big deal for PC gaming especially in emerging markets for a minimum variant. Would be kinda weird to not expand the use of Steam OS since most work should already be done in regards to making games even compatible.
People even seem to have fallen in love with Steam OS, even though compatibility is not 100%. Linux guys should push/ work with Valve to make any regular Linux a viable gaming platform too.
That would be amazing, I still have and use my Alienware alpha r2 as a main device and yeah it’s getting really long JB the tooth now (I’ve upgraded the processor to the best you can put in it, 16 gig ram etc) and use the amp with a 1660 super In it atm.

If I could get something similar aesthetically I would be all over it. Would probably replace all consoles for me.

Topher

Gold Member
He also talked at length about the kind of response that ROG Ally has received in India in less than a year since its launch. "…in India we sold around 70,000 – 80,000 units," he said adding in India it was mostly the early adopters who purchased this gaming console as opposed to the developed countries that have a higher PC penetration rate.

What's funny about this is that IGN reported on this article and repeated that Rog Ally "sold around 70,000 – 80,000 units", but somehow neglected to include the words "In India".

L7KsRMb.png

xrnzaaas

Isn't that too soon? I mean I get it, a handheld device shouldn't be on the market for like 6-7 years without significant performance upgrades, but it feels like Ally 1 just came out.

Kuranghi

Sweet, bring it on. I hope they opt for a bigger battery this time around, 8' 16:10 display, PS-style dpad and functional MicroSD slot (lol). Those changes would elevate a great handheld to the highest levels.

An 8' display? Christ that's gonna be hard to travel with, more for in the house this one I think

they chose "ally" because "friend" was too demeaning

ROG Frennnnnnnd? *goblin smile*

Klosshufvud

An 8' display? Christ that's gonna be hard to travel with, more for in the house this one I think

ROG Frennnnnnnd? *goblin smile*
8' handhelds aren't that much bigger. And since Ally v2 needs a larger battery, they really need to make the device slightly bigger and heavier anyways. Might aswell use that fact to put in a larger 16:10 display

Hohenheim

What do you guys think is a realistic upgrade for this "Rog Ally 2" later this year? The Z2 extreme is not announced yet, and in order to beef up the performance something like that is needed, right?

ASUS decribed it as the "next generation" Ally, but If it's only a updated (Oled?) screen, better battery, smaller bezels and maybe hall sticks (for example).. is that enough to call it "new generation Rog Ally" if the hardware is the same?

That being said, if they upgrade all the things mentioned above + better sticks, i'll definitly be interested.

Topher

Gold Member
What do you guys think is a realistic upgrade for this "Rog Ally 2" later this year? The Z2 extreme is not announced yet, and in order to beef up the performance something like that is needed, right?

ASUS decribed it as the "next generation" Ally, but If it's only a updated (Oled?) screen, better battery, smaller bezels and maybe hall sticks (for example).. is that enough to call it "new generation Rog Ally" if the hardware is the same?

That being said, if they upgrade all the things mentioned above + better sticks, i'll definitly be interested.

I think Z1 Extreme is still plenty powerful enough. OLED, improved sticks and battery life have to be priority in my opinion. I'm also hoping for the option for Steam OS.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really think they should only make new ones when there is a material improvement in performance. I also think Valve has an advantage here, as devs are now setting up Deck profiles for their games and making sure they work, almost like a console. So the fact that it is not as powerful on paper as the other devices doesn't matter as much.

Topher

Gold Member
I really think they should only make new ones when there is a material improvement in performance. I also think Valve has an advantage here, as devs are now setting up Deck profiles for their games and making sure they work, almost like a console. So the fact that it is not as powerful on paper as the other devices doesn't matter as much.

Battery life can't be an afterthought here either when considering the latest and greatest processors. To really see the benefits of these more powerful chips, you have to ramp up the wattage. If that gives you less than an hour of playtime without having to plug in, is it worth it?

Xyphie

There's a material improvement in PPA metrics, otherwise Strix Point wouldn't happen. The new SoC (should be announced around Computex in ~2 months) is a drop-in replacement for what they're already using, you literally solder another chip to the board, flash a newer firmware and you're done. You need to stop thinking about these devices as anything other than a laptop without a keyboard, because that's the only thing they are from a hardware POV.

Last edited:

IAmRei

This become chore for me. Its like phone, not console or handheld. User is expected to buy upgrades like pc. This is why i'm on console/handheld, i dont have to keep update each update to stay updated :/

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Wishlist- 1080p 8.5-9 inch screen oled, up to 32 gb Ram, 50% cpu bump, 50% Gpu bump 10-12gb dedicated ram, hall sticks, build in back stand, stripped down version of windows for gaming. Updated FSR capabilities, 2 usbc/thunderbolt4 ports for standard egpu connecticty.

699 price point

Topher

Gold Member
There's a material improvement in PPA metrics, otherwise Strix Point wouldn't happen. The new SoC (should be announced around Computex in ~2 months) is a drop-in replacement for what they're already using, you literally solder another chip to the board, flash a newer firmware and you're done. You need to stop thinking about these devices as anything other than a laptop without a keyboard, because that's the only thing they are from a hardware POV.

But there are fundamental differences in handhelds and laptops when it comes to battery life and heat dissipation. I don't want to be tethered to a wall or a power brick when I'm playing on a handheld. I don't think twice about that with a laptop because I'm not holding it up. Same when it comes to heat.

Xyphie

But there are fundamental differences in handhelds and laptops when it comes to battery life and heat dissipation. I don't want to be tethered to a wall or a power brick when I'm playing on a handheld. I don't think twice about that with a laptop because I'm not holding it up. Same when it comes to heat.

Again, the new chips are meant to drop-in replacements in the same motherboard and chassi designs. Nothing really changes thermally with the same configured TDP. Strix Point will be better than Phoenix Point was at the same power, or the same performance at lower power.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Again, the new chips are meant to drop-in replacements in the same motherboard and chassi designs. Nothing really changes thermally with the same configured TDP. Strix Point will be better than Phoenix Point was at the same power, or the same performance at lower power.

I was talking about your assertion that handhelds are simply laptops without keybaords.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I really want to get an Ally, but head already read rumors of this happening. Day one for sure, unless there's some oddball design decision I hate.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hopefully they can somehow get a better chip.

I'm looking forward to improved battery, hall effect sticks and oled.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, that's what they fundamentally are. How is a ROG Ally meaningfully different from .e.g. Zenbook running a 7840U if you removed the keyboard and stuck some controllers to the screen?

Ah....you mean a handheld vs laptop with the exact same (or comparable) internals? Ok.....I misunderstood. With a laptop, you can put a mobile version of the 4090 in it and that changes things drastically. But I get your point now.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Most times - for AAA games - the Deck profiles are running at very low settings, 30fps.

More powerful hardware takes that same profile as a starting point and then improves performance and visuals.

Top Bottom