• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At its best, Starfield is the best thing Bethesda has ever done. At its worst, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeOf9

I am torn between pure awe and being impressed at this game, and hating it with seething fury the next. There is a masterpiece inside Starfield, and when this game is hitting on all cylinders, it is the best of all Bethesda games, its better than Skyrim and Fallout 3, and yes it's Better than Morrowind (and its definitely better than Oblivion and Fallout 4 lol). When this game is firing on all cylinders it has the best story of all Bethesda games, the best characters, the best cities, their best quests, best factions, best lore and backstory, and just these amazing, magnificent, eye meltingly gorgeous vistas in outer space that you can see with your naked eye that you would never be able to see in your life otherwise. When you are in the handcrafted areas in the world, that sense of wonder and discovery in the most organic way possible, along with amazing atmosphere and a real sense of existing in the world.

But holy fuck is so much of the moment to moment stuff bad. The menus and UI are straight bullshit. Like, I have nothing nice to say about them, they barely function, they look bad, they add as many unnecessary steps to every action as possible, while somehow also giving you as little information as they can. The ship customization controls are just baffling - I was playing this with controller for the first few hours and I just could not understand how the controls could possibly be this bad. Like, my mind couldn't comprehend it. Switching to kb/m made them better, at least. The loading screens! So many loading screens! I will at least admit that the world we get is amazing and impressive, but the loading screens sometimes actively harm it. They get in the way of the immersion. I have a good SSD so at least the loading times aren't too bad, I just wish there weren't so many of them. And I just hate how bad discovery on most planets is. They're just barren rock. There's nothing interesting, you just pull on scan mode and follow the marker. It does pay off sometimes with some gorgeous sights of planets hanging in the sky or an eclipse or something, but that's very rare, most of the times it's just a waste of time. At this point I'm straight up ignoring most of the "non quest" planets. In the actual hand designed areas, the exploration is amazing, but so much of the game is not those.

I dont know. I think in a few years, when a lot of the jank has been modded out, this will be recognized as Bethesda's best. In fact if you can put up with the bullshit, it already is. No matter how mad it makes me, the minute I get free I want to play Starfield because it is literally the best at doing what Bethesda is good at. It's just also... very bad at all the things Bethesda is bad at, lol.

Montauk

2fOcqi1.jpg

peish

I am playing PC version, so weird they moved the buttons to tab, to 'E', to 'B' etc.

Also Tps mode is almost unplayabe with how sluggish the mouse becomes.

Also the default FOV is made for large screen TV, and you need to make own ini changes..

Also i do not like the menu system becoming a circle. BG3 was able to switch between KBM and controller input. What is with the lazy one size approach Todd made with the controls

Last edited:

LakeOf9

I am playing PC version, so weird they moved the buttons to tab, to 'E', to 'B' etc.

Also Tps mode is almost unplayabe with how sluggish the mouse becomes.

Also the default FOV is made for large screen TV, and you need to make own ini changes..

Also i do not like the menu system becoming a circle. BG3 was able to switch between KBM and controller input. What is with the lazy one size approach Todd made with the controls
The FOV is another bad thing! That, and the UX/controls feel like they just sort of added them at the last second

We need some good mods for this stuff (I assume Bethesda will never patch in better options)

Eotheod

Nah dude.

This is going to be remembered as a dud. It doesn't do most gameplay basics particularly poorly, but it comes together to make something altogether unspecial.

It's the Terminator 3 of video games.
And you are the Terminator 3 of posting about how bad Starfield is. And these threads are the Terminator of Terminators, in that they should have stopped at two.

LakeOf9

And you are the Terminator 3 of posting about how bad Starfield is. And these threads are the Terminator of Terminators, in that they should have stopped at two.
Believe it or not my intention is to praise the game, not add to the circlejerk around it, that's why I even end my post with how the issues can be patched or modded out, and when they are you will be left with an amazing game

It should come with a thick printed manual. Way too many systems i don't understand. UI doesn't tell me all that I need to know.

But one thing I like about it is, it's a new game. Like, a NEW game, in a long time. Even if you are Bethesda veteran, it's not like Bethesda made a 20 x 20 mile map, added different graphics and called it a new IP.

peish

The FOV is another bad thing! That, and the UX/controls feel like they just sort of added them at the last second

We need some good mods for this stuff (I assume Bethesda will never patch in better options)

Also the ship tutorial is bad with the same baaad mouse drag. Seems to me the creation engine breaks when in Tps mode.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Thank you for making a thread to share your opinion instead of posting it in the OT.

I am glad you made a thread to share your opinion instead of posting it in the OT.

Please continue to make threads to share your opinions instead of posting them in the OTs.

AzekZero

Neo Member
I'm really disappointed that Bethesda did not make a kb+mouse control scheme for the ship stuff.

The menu you navigate to tune weapons, movement and shields was clearly designed for a controller's d-pad. Making a control scheme that was tolerable took time.

I don't think I've ever seen so many threads on a single game.

Also, if a game ever has people create so many non stops threads whether they are negative or positive thst means the game is successful and has people talking. I have not seen any game in recent years that generated this much buss in such little time.

LakeOf9

Also, if a game ever has people create so many non stops threads whether they are negative or positive thst means the game is successful and has people talking. I have not seen any game in recent years that generated this much buss in such little time.
Just this year we saw it with TOTK, FF16, and BG3. Last year we saw it with Ragnarok and Elden Ring.

It happens with most big releases.

Raven117

Cyberpunk really had a ton.

I find it kinda funny that each time there is a thread that is slightly critical towards this game, certain individuals thread complain with something like "you could have put this in the OT" where it will get lost, not draw attention, and quietly go away....

Last edited:

violence

I have been in media blackout up until release. I’m extremely impressed with the game so far. The lack of HDR and no working surround sound on PC is a bit baffling though.

Krathoon

It should come with a thick printed manual. Way too many systems i don't understand. UI doesn't tell me all that I need to know.

But one thing I like about it is, it's a new game. Like, a NEW game, in a long time. Even if you are Bethesda veteran, it's not like Bethesda made a 20 x 20 mile map, added different graphics and called it a new IP.
I ran into this too. It is not intuitive how to do things like Skyrim.

NikuNashi

You had the OT, the review thread, the review thread part 2 (steam), the review thread part 3 (gamepass), and the host of other Starfield threads to post this but instead started another Starfield thread.

fersnake

was so excited to play this but my 2070super is not enough, tried a couple of hrs but most of the time was trying to change settings installing dlss but didnt like my performance. got a crash and leave the game 2 days ago. btw i started to watch some reviews and clearly this game is not a 10/10 maybe when Bethesda fixes some issues and upgrade my gpu i'll comeback to try it.

fallingdove

I continue to be bored by the game. For all the talk of great graphics, animation, and NPCs, it’s pretty mid. The animation especially — not just the facial animations which are at least a generation old, but the 3rd person stuff is surprisingly bad. The run cycles, my god, this is what impresses you people?

I could do without the 1000 planets too. I think the game would have been much tighter if the team would have focused on an Outer Worlds with a richer, more compelling story and Bethesda’s hallmark side quests. Skyrim was a much more impressive game when it came out.

Neff

I'm playing on Series X and issues with loading are negligible imo. No idea what it's like on PC. My only real complaint about the game is that it won't tell you if you've cleared a cave or not (at least as far as I can tell) so it's quite easy to waste time trudging across planets to realise you've already looted everything when you reach your destination.

That said, yes, it's Bethesda's best game by far. I had to tear myself away from it just now after another all-night mega-binge and will probably do something similar tomorrow. Thank god for long weekends.

It is what it is: another Bethesda WRPG. Some will love it, others will hate it. Nothing new here except console exclusivity. The latter will be the biggest issue for a lot of people.

I'm playing on Series X and issues with loading are negligible imo. No idea what it's like on PC. My only real complaint about the game is that it won't tell you if you've cleared a cave or not (at least as far as I can tell) so it's quite easy to waste time trudging across planets to realise you've already looted everything when you reach your destination.

That said, yes, it's Bethesda's best game by far. I had to tear myself away from it just now after another all-night mega-binge and will probably do something similar tomorrow. Thank god for long weekends.

It says “explored” for me if I have cleared areas.

Chukhopops

I agree on both points, there are a lot of controls to learn and it’s not intuitive at all.

It took me hours to fully understand how to travel and navigate from the map(s) for example.

cireza

At its worst, we'll, it's another Starfield thread.

Playing the game and totally disagree with you by the way.

I don't know, i've just got this nagging feeling it's missing something.

I keep waiting for something to happen that blows me away and it hasn't happened yet.

I'm optimistic, to a degree, but performance is a real concern for me at the moment and I don't know if I can see past it to have a good experience.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm enjoying it a lot, but also agree with the OP on many things.

They made weird changes that were in their games since essentially Oblivion. NPCs don't sleep, don't have proper schedules, and you can't really trespass.

They finally made workable ladders though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom