• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least three killed in Austria by man driving into crowd, getting out and stabbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

A seven-year-old boy is reportedly among the three people killed in Austria by a man who ploughed his car into crowds in the country’s second-largest city and then reportedly started stabbing people.

A witness told the Wiener Zeitung newspaper that dead bodies were left lying face down in the street after the vehicle sped through the historical Herrengasse and Hauptplatz (main square) in Graz.

Around 50 pedestrians were injured during the rampage and ORF television said the driver, reportedly a 26-year-old Austrian man of Bosnian heritage, had been arrested and the area sealed off.

The broadcaster cited unnamed witnesses as saying the man drove his vehicle into the crowd apparently at random, sending people crashing into the windscreen and rolling over the bonnet.

Police said that after the car was stopped, the driver jumped out and attacked passers-by with a knife before he could be subdued and arrested.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...fore-stabbing-passersby-in-graz-10333891.html

No details on motive yet, but if I had to bet I'd say it's probably an ISIS supporter given the fact that they explicitly suggested using a car to drive into crowds if no other means were available.
See post below this for motive.

Irminsul

Terrible. There's supposed to be a press conference at 1600 (4 PM) local time, so in a few minutes. Let's see if there will be anything said about the motive, though I guess it's too early for that.

EDIT: As to your hypothesis, probably not:

Hintergrund der Tat laut Polizei "Psychose mit Ausgang im Familienleben".
(Source)

"According to police, the background of the act is a 'psychosis due to family issues'"

Ratrat

Just awful. Reminds me of the Akihabara incident a few years ago.Dont care to know the motive as it will make less sense than any guess I could make.

Irminsul

The mayor of Graz was also one of the targets of the man, here's his story (translation by me):

"I was driving through the Zweigelgasse on my Vespa when I heard a horrible crash. I thought it was an accident, but then I saw the car passing the bus [it had hit] on the pavement and speeding directly at a couple. Both were swirling through the air, he was dead immediately. The man drove onto the next person, who was lucky to be saved by a concrete pillar. He targeted me, too. I saw his dogged face, that was madness. I could dodge him. I hoped he would go on to the highway, leaving the city, but he drove onwards to the city centre."

(Source)

Reports of 3 dead so far, hopefully it doesn't go up and not too many people are severely injured. If he'd had a gun, he likely would have killed many more.

The mayor of Graz was also one of the targets of the man, here's his story (translation by me):

"I was driving through the Zweigelgasse on my Vespa when I heard a horrible crash. I thought it was an accident, but then I saw the car passing the bus [it had hit] on the pavement and speeding directly at a couple. Both were swirling through the air, he was dead immediately. The man drove onto the next person, who was lucky to be saved by a concrete pillar. He targeted me, too. I saw his dogged face, that was madness. I could dodge him. I hoped he would go on to the highway, leaving the city, but he drove onwards to the city centre."

(Source)

I'd imagine that was more of a coincidence. Still, that whole thing is pretty messed up. Hope the injured pull through.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts are with the victims and their families. I got out of a store right where it happend just a few minutes after, people crying in shock, helicopters flying, it was terrible.

And of course right wing party FPÖ disgustingly predictable used the fact that the guy has a Bosnian heritage and the first assumption(!) that it could have been religiously motivated to push their agenda with facebook posts stressing these two "facts" not even an hour after it happend. Cunts.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families. I got out of a store right where it happend just a few minutes after, people crying in shock, helicopters flying, it was terrible.

And of course right wing party FPÖ disgustingly predictable used the fact that the guy has a Bosnian heritage and the first assumption(!) that it could have been religiously motivated to push their agenda with facebook posts stressing these two "facts" not even an hour after it happend. Cunts.

Fuck those FPÖ clowns. Bunch of jackasses.

Tobinishi

Happened in my home town :(

Press confirmed that there is no political or religious background. Seems like the guy had psychological problems.

Tobinishi

Agree. Bunch of assholes and still lots of people will buy into it. I'm deeply worried about the next election.

G.ZZZ

When you think about it, it's kind of amazing how rare this is when it is such an easy thing to do.

Yeah, i mean, we're so many, and basically everyone has a car. This kind of things still happen incredibly rarely, thanks god this dude didn't have a gun like he would've in america.

RIP to the victims.

Fuck those FPÖ clowns. Bunch of jackasses.

Yeah, the FPÖ are pretty stupid.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Terrible incident. My thoughts are with the victims and their families. I hope those injured recover fast and completely.

derFeef

Me and my GF saw it, we came by just 5 minutes late. We are stil in shock.
Thoughts to all the victims and families.

drPepper

Banned
I was just on my way to work and thankfully missed my tram so i was already late for work. Thankfully... Since they closed down the roads i had to walk through there which was kinda unreal. Thoughts are with the victims ant their families. RIP

raindoc

I just left the city a couple of weeks ago and miss it a lot. Today's news is heartbreaking and the comments from the far right nauseating.

My thoughts are with the victims and my friends and fellow ex-coworkers in EMS and the university hospital, for whom this day isn't over yet. Hang in there.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts are with the victims and my friends and fellow ex-coworkers in EMS and the university hospital, for whom this day isn't over yet. Hang in there.
They're doing unbelievable work. I never heard of (and hope I never will again) an operation like today. At noon on a saturday, on the most populated shopping street of the town.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Absolutely horrifying... Good friend of mine is studying there. Just to think it could have been him :(

My thoughts go the families. One victim was a 5 year old child. I cannot think what the family is going through.

raindoc

They're doing unbelievable work. I never heard of (and hope I never will again) an operation like today. At noon on a saturday, on the most populated shopping street of the town.
No, not in the city and never due to an act of violence like this.

The three dead are a 28 year old man - his wife is in critical condition (they married only a couple of weeks ago) - a 5 year old boy and a 25 year old women. About half a dozen remain in critical condition, or were at the evening. No update yet.

derFeef

Still a weird atmosphere around here. The city is very calm. My GF often starts to cry. Just 5 minutes and it could have been us :( Hopefully the remaining victims pull through.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
One thing is bothering me regarding the news reports. It's everywhere, including BBC. What's the relevance of the man's heritage/origin?

raindoc

One thing is bothering me regarding the news reports. It's everywhere, including BBC. What's the relevance of the man's heritage/origin?

In reality: none
In politics: everything

The far right FPÖ ("Austrian Freedom Party") is on it's way to the top and recently tripled it's results during regional votes in the states of Burgenland and Styria (of which Graz is the capital) by playing the good old game of "blame the imigrants".

Why the Beeb is jumping on that train and what went through OP's mind initially I cannot explain but it's a nauseating situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom