• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AT&T and WarnerMedia Want Ben Affleck Back As Batman

Airbus Jr

Banned
images

What a whirlwind of news for DC, WB, and HBO Max this week. What if we said they’re not done yet?

Sources close to TCN have informed us thatAT&T and WarnerMedia wants Ben Affleck to return as Batman, and also to resume work to adapt his original script for “The Batman” that originally featured Batman Vs Deathstroke. No word yet on if the project is for theatrical release or for HBO Max.

Yes, you read that right. The return of ‘Batfleck’ may be upon us.

Now with Matt Reeves’ The Batman in production, this doesn’t mean they are stopping one and moving forward with another. This is DC, where the multiverse is very prevalent. From the comics, the animated series/movies, the CW, and the live-action movies, there have been many interpretations of the Caped Crusader. We can have two Batman’s at the same time. That may open the doors to many new and exciting possibilities.

With Zack Snyder’s Justice League coming in 2021, the question many have is “What comes next?”; Ben has been seen in incredibly good shape over the past month or so and with AT&T and WarnerMedia wanting Ben back in the fold, this could mean there is life for Affleck’s Batman after Zack Snyder’s Justice League.

There is no word if this project will be for theatrical release or for HBO Max. It is still unsure if an offer has been made or if Ben has been directly contacted for the project, but AT&T is pleased with the press that Zack Snyder’s Justice League and is looking into revisiting the ‘Snyderverse’.

Ememee

His performance was the most praised aspect of BVS. I’d welcome this. Squeeze the shit out of the “multiverse”/different interpretations thing that the MCU hasn’t as of yet.

I look forward to Pattinsons portrayal as well. it’d be kind of cool to get that and an alternate look as Ben as a much older Batman. All for it.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't know how credible these rumors are, these "sources" might just be AT&T's playful teasing of Batfleck fans on Twitter.

Either way, it's must be a nightmare scenario to have Robert Pattinson's "softer and more feminine Batman" coming out next year, and right alongside it is Snyder's footage of Affleck in his peak physical condition beating the living hell out of everybody.

Blond

Banned
I just wish they'd come up with a plan of some kind already. This would just mean there's two original Batman movies in such a short time.

These DC movies since Superman keep falling somewhere between collected universe, reboot, one shots and origin stories in each film. If this is the case where the hell does Joker fit into any of these? I wasn't too crazy about the film like a lot of people but it made a billion dollars and it sounds like they're throwing that movie away.

Last edited:

TheMan

Well I thought he did a pretty good job in BVS and he definitely looks the part. Id say good for him.

tkscz

Isn't the guy who played Superman also gone?

People say yeah, but nothing was ever officially announced, and when asked, he never says yes or no. He was supposed to be in SHAZAM but he was busy with the Witcher and couldn't make it.

Affleck was a fine Batman and Bruce Wayne, but with two movies having two strikingly different tones, you couldn't tell what they were going for. Honestly, going back to the DCEU would be for the best financially. While they weren't the best reviewed movies, they had a big enough fan base to be financially stable.

JL's budget got overblown because of the re-shoots, without them, the $600m the movie made would've been more than double the aimed budget.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don't know how credible these rumors are, these "sources" might just be AT&T's playful teasing of Batfleck fans on Twitter.

Either way, it's must be a nightmare scenario to have Robert Pattinson's "softer and more feminine Batman" coming out next year, and right alongside it is Snyder's footage of Affleck in his peak physical condition beating the living hell out of everybody.

“Matt wanted a softer and more feminine looking Bruce Wayne and it came down to either Rob or Nicholas [Hoult],” a source close to Warner Brothers told Sausage Roll.

During quarantine Robert Pattinson expressed his opinion gym culture revealing that he finds a macho male physique problematic. “It sets a precedent,” Pattinson told CQ when they asked why he wasn’t bulking up during production downtime.

Robert said that he deliberately ignored his personal trainer’s pleas, who left him with a Bosu ball and a single weight at the start of lockdown.

“I think if you’re working out all the time, you’re part of the problem,” he said.

His comments go hand-in-hand with the latest rumours hinting that the The Batman (2021) will be more character driven with less focus on action.

The aforementioned rumours claim that this ‘origin’ film will be the awakening about a vengeful young bratty and wealthy republican.

Selina Kyle supposedly introduces Bruce to the underground scene in Gotham where he sees how Wayne Enterprises, and capitalism in general, has ruined the lives of the poor and the sick. After witnessing the suffering of the poor and the defenceless he vows to spend his entire inheritance on protecting the less fortunate.

Although, for the time being, this is just a rumour, the cast for the upcoming The Batman feature film have strongly hinted that, in a way, Selina Kyle aka Catwoman, is in many ways Batman’s maker lending further credence to the rumours.

Jacqueline Durran was hired as the costume designer for The Batman. She primarily designs costumes for women and Reeves believes she can create a slightly more feminine aesthetic for The Batman.

Durran was interviewed by Fashionista where she discussed the design for the batsuit in Matt Reeves’ The Batman film. She was thrilled to have a bit of creative leeway to make caped crusader less macho.
“Because Batman is a man, it’s not fully in my universe. But it is a new adventure for me and it’s very interesting because it’s something I’ve not done before,” she told Fashionista.

:messenger_hushed:

Not exactly a huge Batman fan here, but at least try, you know? From cast to crew to writers, it seems like they fundamentally don’t understand who their audience is, and just want to make a woke movie.

No wonder the studio wants Affleck back.

Ovek

7Member7
I thought he made a great batman, there was a lot of untold story especially for an old and basically retired batman. But nooooo they went immediately for the Avengers cash grab and rushed the DCU and fucked the entire thing.

That would be really awesome, however I don't think it will happen.

Movie executives still believe people can't understand multiple interpretations of the same characters in multiple universes.

Top Bottom