• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Firis |OT| The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey

Linkark07

Banned
If I were to start this series, where should I begin? The game looks interesting (bad reviews excluded), and I thought about picking it up. I don't know what I'm missing.

Depends. If you are only interested in the Mystery series, then you need to pick up Sophie. This one is basically a sequel of Sophie.

Atelier in general? I say the Arland trilogy, starting with Rorona plus.

Arthea

Ah yes, just saw that. That makes me feel better, actually; it would've been kind of shitty if it was just "haha suckers we did it on purpose." It helps that the refund process is more automatic than I thought it'd be, though how long does it take for the refund to go through?

it differs from person to person for reasons totally unknown. Usually it's not long, one-two hours, but that's not guaranteed

PaulSane

Ah yes, just saw that. That makes me feel better, actually; it would've been kind of shitty if it was just "haha suckers we did it on purpose." It helps that the refund process is more automatic than I thought it'd be, though how long does it take for the refund to go through?

I refunded Firis several hours ago, refund went through right away, but money are still pending - i bought the game again with another sum :)

PaulSane

Here is a menu screenshot, i can't really tell if it's low-res or not :p

f2521dd2a4.jpg

Cornbread78

Reviewing like every other atelier. I wonder if they'll ever reach a 9. Anywho, kind of don't like the time limit thing affecting you when you walk. That's annoying.

yeah, pretty much what you expect. Above average comfy jrpg with charming characters and good tone.

Ascheroth

Clearly an upscale, see: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/202319 (PC screenshot there is prerelease).

Note how the sign giving the menu name is blurry in both PC screenshots, and not in the PS4 version.
KOOOOEEIIIIIIIIII.
How can one company be this incompetent and learn-resistant and than have the gall to charge 60€.
I didn't really care much in Sophie, since it wasn't that noticable anyway, 25€ and the first GUST game on Steam, but if you want me to pay 60€ you better fucking deliver something worth that price-tag or I'll do my very best to give you as little money as possible.
KoeiTecmo-community person, if you're reading this, please tell your japanese branch to get their shit together if they actually want money, because it's getting ridiculous.

SephLuis

I think Atelier Firis might be a difficult review because, I suppose, most of it's content is post game. I still haven't finished the main quest, but there's tons of places that I didn't and couldn't properly explore due t a slight pressure of the time limit and because my party was too damn weak.

And contrary to the other Ateliers I played (E&L forward) Firis is much, much more focused on the character itself rather than the party and a whole lot of characters. Only your sister has a convincing reason to travel with you and the rest feel like they are just tagging along (and, apparently, there's a good quantity of characters in this one).

This might be a blow to the story for some, but I didn't mind. I really like the nomad journey feeling of the game so far. I just wish the alchemy systems and battle were a whole lot better ;_;

Hopefully everyone here has a good time with it.

Mivey

KOOOOEEIIIIIIIIII.
How can one company be this incompetent and learn-resistant and than have the gall to charge 60€.
I didn't really care much in Sophie, since it wasn't that noticable anyway, 25€ and the first GUST game on Steam, but if you want me to pay 60€ you better fucking deliver something worth that price-tag or I'll do my very best to give you as little money as possible.
KoeiTecmo-community person, if you're reading this, please tell your japanese branch to get their shit together if they actually want money, because it's getting ridiculous.
I'm fairly certain they are doing this because they somehow believe it will make the game easier to run for certain users and don't give a fuck about people who want better. Of course, this doesn't make a significant, in fact probably not even a measurable difference in terms of runtime performance and the anger caused by this will certainly make them lose some sales, but that's KT for you.

Kvik

That upscaled 2D assets. Almost seems like an insult. This is one my most anticipated game and now I'm considering not buying it.

I hate to keep paging Durante or Kaldaien to help fixing trivial shit like this, which shouldn't even be an issue in the first place.

Arthea

About Firis port, a game seems much more demanding than Sophie was, it could be that I got really lucky with Sophie but I had no problems with that port at all, not even one.
I hope KT will do something to improve Firis performance later, even if I get 60 fps it's basically only because I opted for performance with my GPU settings.

As for 2D assets, I would like to hear KT explanation why they do this, because that's strange.

That upscaled 2D assets. Almost seems like an insult. This is one my most anticipated game and now I'm considering not buying it.
That's overreaction, seriously, you hardly notice that in game, not like you have two screens close to each other and compare all the time. You can see and read everything, let's not blow it out of proportions. Not saying it's a good thing, but it doesn't interfere with your game perception either, at least not much.

Linkura

My copy has arrived but I'm on vacation and won't be home until Thursday night. Planning on jumping in Friday. Because everyone is posting their opinions, loved Ayesha, didn't like Eschatology or Shallie, thought Sophie was good. My concern is the worst gameplay part of Sophie, the discovery way of unlocking recipes instead of with books, is back. Ugh. Still hoping it's good though.

Edit: Just read the RPGFan review and that shit is scathing. They usually give very lenient reviews compared to most sites for JRPGs too. That's worrying.

SephLuis

My copy has arrived but I'm on vacation and won't be home until Thursday night. Planning on jumping in Friday. Because everyone is posting their opinions, loved Ayesha, didn't like Eschatology or Shallie, thought Sophie was good. My concern is the worst gameplay part of Sophie, the discovery way of unlocking recipes instead of with books, is back. Ugh. Still hoping it's good though.

Edit: Just read the RPGFan review and that shit is scathing. They usually give very lenient reviews compared to most sites for JRPGs too. That's worrying.

It's better to discover recipes. Since it's a big world you end up doing a lot of the requisites much more naturally than in Sophie.

There's still a few recipes that are a pain in the ass to get, but you accumulate idea points after completing quests which can be used to unlock recipes.

Linkura

It's better to discover recipes. Since it's a big world you end up doing a lot of the requisites much more naturally than in Sophie.

There's still a few recipes that are a pain in the ass to get, but you accumulate idea points after completing quests which can be used to unlock recipes.
Good to hear. Thanks!

The good news is the game seems to run okay, based on what I saw from the menu screen.

The bad news is that I got greedy, tried to run GeDoSaTo with it, and the game crashes on startup if it's active. Worse, Bitdefender thinks it's a malicious program and also every time I try to open the Bitdefender interface it crashes with a critical error, even after a restart. So, uh... I don't really know what to do anymore. I don't know why my AV is freaking out to this extent but now I'm worried I've totally fucked up Bitdefender.

EDIT: eh, Bitdefender turned out to be old. Upgrade fixed it up. Might try GeDoSaTo later, I kind of think it's not working because Bitdefender's blocking it, but won't know for sure until later. All I really want is 16:10 and some anti-aliasing, is that too much to ask? (maybe yes)

Kvik

That's overreaction, seriously, you hardly notice that in game, not like you have two screens close to each other and compare all the time. You can see and read everything, let's not blow it out of proportions. Not saying it's a good thing, but it doesn't interfere with your game perception either, at least not much.

If I'm playing in 1080p, then yeah, I probably can live with it somehow. However, my screen is 1440p. I'm sure the upscaling will be more pronounced.

I'm fully aware that this is probably a very small thing, but these small things are what makes a competent PC port in 2017, and not a half-arsed one.

Oh god it defaults to dub when you start it up for the first time. Between this and Shallie Plus when did they decide it was pronounced "At-lee-er?" Sounds pretty bad. Also really surprised they dubbed the OP. To my knowledge they've never done that before.

Holy shit, day and date Atelier release on PC?!

My wallet is stretched pretty thin between all the releases in Feb and March, but really want to buy this just to support the PC ports...

Momentary

Banned
The good news is the game seems to run okay, based on what I saw from the menu screen.

The bad news is that I got greedy, tried to run GeDoSaTo with it, and the game crashes on startup if it's active. Worse, Bitdefender thinks it's a malicious program and also every time I try to open the Bitdefender interface it crashes with a critical error, even after a restart. So, uh... I don't really know what to do anymore. I don't know why my AV is freaking out to this extent but now I'm worried I've totally fucked up Bitdefender.

EDIT: eh, Bitdefender turned out to be old. Upgrade fixed it up. Might try GeDoSaTo later, I kind of think it's not working because Bitdefender's blocking it, but won't know for sure until later. All I really want is 16:10 and some anti-aliasing, is that too much to ask? (maybe yes)

This is a DirectX11 game, so I don't think it will work. You can't even force SGSSAA through inspector either. BUT, I think I might have an answer to our delimma.

SephLuis

Can anyone help me find or craft an item from the elixir category ?

I'm on the icy plains and I was trying to look for a dragon scale. I did managed to find a dragon which proceeded to kick my ass >.>

I need the elixir to make a recipe for the alchemist in the ice city and get the last letter of recommendation.

EDIT: Managed to do it using Alchemy Clay

I think Atelier Firis might be a difficult review because, I suppose, most of it's content is post game. I still haven't finished the main quest, but there's tons of places that I didn't and couldn't properly explore due t a slight pressure of the time limit and because my party was too damn weak.

And contrary to the other Ateliers I played (E&L forward) Firis is much, much more focused on the character itself rather than the party and a whole lot of characters. Only your sister has a convincing reason to travel with you and the rest feel like they are just tagging along (and, apparently, there's a good quantity of characters in this one).

This might be a blow to the story for some, but I didn't mind. I really like the nomad journey feeling of the game so far. I just wish the alchemy systems and battle were a whole lot better ;_;

Hopefully everyone here has a good time with it.

Its fairly normal for Atelier main stories to focus on the protagonist and the other characters to have a mostly unrelated storyline developed along a chain of scenes / quests, because the game has no way of knowing which characters you'll actually use in advanced. There are sometimes characters you might never even unlock for use due to needing to do something specific or be somewhere at specific times.

The more RPG focused ones tend to avert this a little but even in say Mana Khemia most of the companian arcs are through the Free Time activities.

SephLuis

Its fairly normal for Atelier main stories to focus on the protagonist and the other characters to have a mostly unrelated storyline developed along a chain of scenes / quests, because the game has no way of knowing which characters you'll actually use in advanced. There are sometimes characters you might never even unlock for use due to needing to do something specific or be somewhere at specific times.

The more RPG focused ones tend to avert this a little but even in say Mana Khemia most of the companian arcs are through the Free Time activities.

In the previous ones that I played, at least, the game put those characters in front of you and then you could deepen your friendship with them if you wanted it. They also had some contribution to a part of the story.

In Firis, however, I feel like you can completely miss characters and that they have no influence at all in the "story". It feels like they are tagging along because the battle system demands more than 2 characters rather than any other plausible reasons.

It kinda makes sense since Firis is kinda of a nomad and her sister tags along to protect her, but I kinda wished the whole character stories/selection and combat worked a whole lot better in this one.

Its funny, the generous 361 day time limit seems extremely generous yet despite that I still feel 'pressured' I've spent 20 days just in the first few just areas making things, doing some quests and such and I feel like I've wasted too much time. But I've gotten to Alchemy level 11 in the meantime, so that is some progress.

Elven_Star

Every time one of these comes out and I see people's reactions, I tell myself "there's something wrong with you. Try this new one, you might like it." Then I play the new one, all that cuteness explodes in my face again, and I quit immediately. I doubt I have spent more than 5 hours between the three Atelier games I've bought. I hope I can resist this time.

Oh god it defaults to dub when you start it up for the first time. Between this and Shallie Plus when did they decide it was pronounced "At-lee-er?" Sounds pretty bad. Also really surprised they dubbed the OP. To my knowledge they've never done that before.

I usually don't mind the dubs and play with them enabled, but yes, I hate that their official pronunciation of Atelier is "at-lee-er." I keep using the French pronunciation personally because it doesn't sound horrible to my ears.

This is a DirectX11 game, so I don't think it will work. You can't even force SGSSAA through inspector either. BUT, I think I might have an answer to our delimma.

OH. Weird, I thought Sophie was DX9? I just assumed they'd both be using the same engine. That explains a lot. I look forward to other people's tweaks and tips on this front. Your reshade screenshot looks really good!

wideface

Just bought for PS4, and I'm not even done with Atelier Sophie on Steam yet.
My wallet is really getting destroyed this month.

Arthea

I can't help what wonder what are our chances KT will release a patch improving performance.
And I'd really like cloud support... but that is not happening

Haken Trigger

Neo Member
Well, they fooled me with Sophie on PC (the game is fun, but damn the perf issues, the DLC not activated and the 2D assets, and still not corrected...), I was right to wait for thoughts here. Thanks to the testers, I know I'll wait for this game !

(I'll surely have it one day, but when corrected or with huge discount)

Durante

AO looks really great. Helps a lot with the (typically for Atelier) very flat background. I wish NV would provide more control over when it draws.

Edit: or is it even NV AO?

Arthea

Well, they fooled me with Sophie on PC (the game is fun, but damn the perf issues, the DLC not activated and the 2D assets, and still not corrected...), I was right to wait for thoughts here. Thanks to the testers, I know I'll wait for this game !

(I'll surely have it one day, but when corrected or with huge discount)

what do you mean? Atelier Sophie really have no performance issues at all, the one that some people had with CPU usage was fixed.

Momentary

Banned
AO looks really great. Helps a lot with the (typically for Atelier) very flat background. I wish NV would provide more control over when it draws.

Edit: or is it even NV AO?

It's reshade and you can control it. I'm going to touch it up a bit more today. looks like it's a little too heavy for my tastes.

Vamphuntr

I'm somewhat concerned

Does this mean Firis is selling extremely poorly on Steam? Even Steampsy has shown extremely low numbers before. But so little data you can't look it on Steamspy?

You need about a week to have accurate sales on Steamspy. It basically scrubs profiles and use statistics to estimate sales. A game like this requires more time to give a result because no one has it. You couldn't see the sales of RE7 in the 24 hours it launched either.

Top Bottom