• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Sophie |OT| The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book

Cornbread78

q55ZTqh.png

Developer: Gust Co. Ltd.
Publisher: Koei Tecmo
Platform(s): PS4 (retail/PSN), Vita(PSN)
Release date(s)
• NA June 7, 2016
• EU June 10, 2016
Genre: Role-playing (turn-based)
Mode: Single-player

Standard Edition:
wPs0FmW.png

Limited Edition:
SIeep5t.jpg

Limited Edition Includes:
• Atelier Sophie for PS4™
• Full-color, 48-page hardcover art book
• 2-Disc, 38-track original soundtrack with jewel case
• Cloth poster (40"x26")
• 5 Mini art prints (5"x7")
• Collector's box (Includes all the above)

NA: http://store.nisamerica.com/preorders/atelier-sophie-limited-edition
EU: http://store.nisaeurope.com/collecti...imited-edition

Pre-Order Bonuses:

North America
•Amazon, GameStop, or EB Canada – A pack consisting of background music, the Doll Making costume “Aqua Suit,” a five-piece set of useful materials and items, and a theme for PlayStation 4.
•Best Buy – In-game background music pack and two Atelier Sophie themes for PlayStation 4.
•PlayStation Store (first month of release) – Two Atelier Sophie themes, as well as an in-game bundle of useful items boosting their attack (uni bag), Hit Points (sweets), or Mental Points (sotea).

Europe:
•Amazon – In-game background music pack and two Atelier Sophie themes for PlayStation 4.
•Independent retailers – A pack consisting of background music, the Doll Making costume “Aqua Suit,” a five-piece set of useful materials and items, and a theme for PlayStation 4.
•PlayStation Store (first month of release) – Two Atelier Sophie themes, as well as an in-game bundle of useful items boosting their attack (uni bag), Hit Points (sweets), or Mental Points (sotea).

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/atelier-sophie-pre-order-bonuses-announced

5anUC3Y.jpg

The game is set in the small town of Kirchen Bell, a location with a warm atmosphere and occasional rainfall, during the dawning era of alchemy prior to it becoming a widespread art. Within the outskirts lies an atelier studio run solely by a girl named Sophie, who has a mysterious power that allows her to combine items together to form entirely different items. Without a mentor or reference guide to teach her, her alchemy attempts repeatedly fail time and time again. One day however, she comes across a mysterious book that moves and talks by its own free will.[8] Sophie's goal is to restore the book's memories and its former human form.

DHEV45Q.jpg

Character Introductions:
On their journey, players will experience the world through the eyes of Sophie Neuenmuller, who runs an atelier in the town of Kirchen Bell. Joined by best friends Monika Ellmenreich and Oskar Behlmer, they begin a quest to learn new alchemy recipes and restore Plachta’s missing memories. Along the way, they also meet Julio Sebald Leidenschaft, a young knight from the country of Adalett, who’s investigating alchemy for unknown reasons, and Fritz Weissberg, an ex-mercenary – now puppeteer – who is skilled with the ways of the sword.

A diverse cast of townspeople are also on hand to help Sophie and her friends with their adventuring needs. Making his return from Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky is Logy, who runs a prosperous blacksmithing shop in town. Corneria, a girl with the unique ability to duplicate items, runs a mass production shop. Harol Simens is the local clock shop owner, and while he can be sarcastic and harsh, he’s in fact a caring and helpful fellow. Leon is a travelling clothier, proud of her talents at making charming clothes. Horst Basler runs the café and will serve as Sophie’s eyes and ears, as he is well-versed in the latest information around town.

Sophie Neuenmuller
5LSxTL2.jpg

Voiced by: Yuuka Aisaka (Japanese); Christine Marie Cabanos (English)
The protagonist of the game, who is an alchemist that runs her own atelier studio. Although she is popular and bright, she is also sloppy and is terrible at housework.

Plachta
hk8XrHN.jpg

Voiced by: Yuka Iguchi
A silver-haired girl with amnesia, who is originally an old book from the atelier's bookshelf. Prafta teaches Sophie alchemy, and as more recipes are written within her, she regains her memories. The player can customise her appearance via synthesised costumes using the game's "Dollmake" feature.

Oskar Behlmer
Hd91fBk.jpg

Voiced by: Seiichirō Yamashita (Japanese); Erik Scott Kimerer (English)
A greengrocer's son who has a passion for plants. Although he is lazy and physically unfit, he has an optimistic personality and the unusual ability to hear the voices of plants. He is also knowledgeable about grass and flowers.

Monika Ellmenreich
i3isgf4.jpg

Voiced by: Aya Suzaki (Japanese); Erica Mendez (English)
A talented woman born to a well-respected family who excels at swordsmanship and her studies. As Sophie's childhood friend, she often looks after her and scolds her. She has a serious personality and prioritises politeness, though she enjoys singing.

Corneria:
0xpiNlN.png

Voiced by: Yui KondōAn
alchemist girl who works as a volume seller, and has the special ability of being able to replicate things, at the expense of shrinking her own body size.

Harold Siemens:
BLY0af3.png

Voiced by: Tarusuke Shingaki
A clocksmith who prefers making guns over repairing watches. He has a sarcastic personality.

Horst Basler:
bbO4lnF.jpg

Voiced by: Yōji Ueda (Japanese); Xander Mobus (English)
An old man in charge of the Kirhen Bell café, which operates as a bar in the evening. He is responsible for brokering requests, and shares information with Sophie.

Leon:
0KXrl1N.png

Voiced by: Mayumi Iizuka
A tailor who fights with a spear and utilises jamming items.

Julio Sebald Leidenschaft:
Y35Cnwq.png

Voiced by: Genki Okawa
A young knight from the country of Adarett studying alchemy.

Fritz Weissberg:
p9tUcFS.jpg

Voiced by: Kenyu Horiuchi
A former mercenary who now performs puppet shows during his travels as a doll-maker. He utilises dual swords in combat.

Makelet:
mvOAgwc.jpg

Voiced by: Sachi Matsumoto
A young boy with an interest in alchemy who can see into the true nature of things.

Atomina:
ZoPTtaw.png

Voiced by: Hina Kino
A young girl who is often silent. She accompanies Makelet.

Tess Heitzmann:
hTuWRxx.jpg

Voiced by: Sayaka Nakaya
The simple-minded and troublesome showgirl for the Kirchen Bell café.

Logix "Logy" Fiscario:
h8x6gYR.png

Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa (Japanese); Jason Baker (English)
A returning character who was originally a protagonist of Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky. He provides assistance to Sophie by crafting equipment for the party.

Gameplay Info:

New Synthesis System:
In Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book, alchemy is key to crafting useful items that can aid Sophie and her friends on their travels. Throughout their journey players are encouraged to discover and concoct a variety of new and useful recipes, which are then added to the Mysterious Book, Plachta, whose memories slowly return as her pages are filled. Using what they’ve learned, players can easily craft items with specific bonuses attached to them using the series’ brand new Synthesis system. To do this, players have access to a 4×4 panel system which can grow depending on the type and quality of cauldron. As ingredients are placed into the cauldron, they will take up a set amount of tiles on the panel which, if utilised correctly, allows items to be more efficient than they normally are. A wide choice of recipes with different shape, size and quality can be used to craft items, and making full use of the panel space is vital to receiving optimal bonuses.

Time and Weather:
In Atelier Sophie: the Alchemist of the Mysterious Book the player must always be aware of two elements that greatly affect successful mission completions and material harvesting: Time and Weather. The time of day and the weather conditions should be carefully considered before heading out to a mission as some monsters will only show if the time and weather are favorable. Similarly, some necessary materials can only be harvested in specific times and weather conditions.

Fatigue-based Life Point system:
Atelier Sophie: the Alchemist of the Mysterious Book also introduces a fatigue-based Life Point system, which can weaken attacks when a character has spent too long adventuring, gathering materials, and/or fighting without resting (returning to the atelier). These two new elements add to the challenging nature of this beautiful RPG and are indicative of the reimagined gameplay system of the Atelier universe!

CCgdjyS.jpg

Debut Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKCm3BrjHSs

Announcement Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFQ2VYc4wZw

Atelier Sophie - "The Story Begins" Gameplay Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1eDy7HLMFY

Screenshots:
IU43gsN.jpg
YOHnxds.jpg

oOenM52.jpg
kOjd8sa.jpg

Trophy List:
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/atelier-sophie/trophies/

Review Thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1229529

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/atelier-sophie-the-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-book

Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atelier_Sophie:_The_Alchemist_of_the_Mysterious_Book

**Important Thread Reminder**
As Always, please be considerate on story spoilers and make sure you use spoiler tags appropriately and enjoy the experience everyone!

- Sorry this isn't anything special, but the game deserved some kind of OT, so I threw it together quickly. If anything should be added/updated/changed/removed please send me a PM and I will do so!

* Also, special thanks to Gematsu for having so much information on this game on their site and making it easier for me to throw this OT together.... Excellent coverage guys/gals!

u0I2m9s.jpg

vall03

Almost finished with Blood and Wine and this comes up perfectly for me afterwards.

Anyway, does the game have a cross-save feature? Thinking of getting both PS4 and Vita versions but might opt for the Vita since I want to finish it before TMS#FE.

varkuriru

Neat OT! Probably wont jump in the forseable future but wanted to say the soundtrack is wonderful as pretty much all the ateliers. Wish I had the english names of tracks to put some example links.

Eusis

Might grab the Vita version come pay day. Wanted the LE but the last month was rough and honestly if I'm going to be insane and go for LEs right now they need better bang for their buck in regards to what I actually want. And that's the art book and soundtrack, not cloth posters and art cards.

Lockon

Got the LE in the mail today. Going to finish Nights of Azure this week and hopefully start Sophie this weekend.

Unknown?

I've been thinking about getting this or Nights of Azure. I can't decide!! I've never played a Gust game but I love jrpgs such as Tales of, Final Fantasy, and Hyperdimension Neptunia. Would this game be for me?

my copy is on the way, based amazon (with odin sphere)

i just hope i like the atelier series, this one judging the screens looks too kawaii for my taste but let's find out later this week

RedBoot

Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy. Thanks for the OT, can't wait to play it.

Yeah, I ordered mine weeks ago and seemingly didn't get release date shipping (I have Prime), despite them advertising it on the game's page up until a few days ago. Might have to have words with customer service on that one. :p

As for the talk about completing Atelier games, I haven't finished one since Totori (despite coming extremely close on both Meruru and Escha/Logy), but that won't stop me from starting this one up anyway. At least I can justify it since it's the start of a new storyline.

Without going into spoilers (assuming the explanation contains any), but does the game ever explain anything about why
Logy is in this world? Not even sure I need to spoiler that since it's in the OP, but I'll be cautious.

Yeah, I ordered mine weeks ago and seemingly didn't get release date shipping (I have Prime), despite them advertising it on the game's page up until a few days ago. Might have to have words with customer service on that one. :p

Without going into spoilers (assuming the explanation contains any), but does the game ever explain anything about why
Logy is in this world? Not even sure I need to spoiler that since it's in the OP, but I'll be cautious.

I think Gust is just trying to make him a new reoccurring character like Pamela was. Though I'm not entirely sure either.

I had to have them upgrade my shipping to one day shipping for free to get release day shipping (same with Guilty Gear) so I'll be getting that along with Mirror's Edge, Guilty Gear, and Odin Sphere at the same time. A shame you have to contact them to do anything right.

RedBoot

I think Gust is just trying to make him a new reoccurring character like Pamela was. Though I'm not entirely sure either.

I'd be fine with that (always liked his design, as well as the majority of the characters from that game), though I'm a bit surprised Gust would go with him over, say, Rorona, if they wanted one of the alchemists to be a reoccurring character.

(Though they'd probably go with Kid Rorona so maybe we all lucked out)

I'd be fine with that (always liked his design, as well as the majority of the characters from that game), though I'm a bit surprised Gust would go with him over, say, Rorona, if they wanted one of the alchemists to be a reoccurring character.

(Though they'd probably go with Kid Rorona so maybe we all lucked out)

Well he focuses more on the equipment side of stuff instead of the pure alchemy like he did in Eschatology, so he fills a gap in the character roster.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/2...lier-sophie-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-book/

This Siliconera article about him makes his inclusion seem more mysterious.

Eolz

Subscribing, waiting for my EU LE :p

Love the artstyle as usual with Atelier, this one seems particularly good in terms of various improvements.

RedBoot

It will be released on the 10th in Australia so I rang up some shops to confirm they would stock it (some didn't have Shallie or Rorona Plus), but they won't. One, JB HiFi said none of their shops across the country will have it in stores (but they can order it). The EB Games near me said they won't get it. Other stores near me wouldn't have it for sure so no use checking. PSN it is then.

Kudo

Looking forward to giving this a try soon.. So deep in games currently there's no escape.

Cornbread78

I'll try to fix up to OP a little tomorrow with additional gameplay info as well as additional story/lore info. Maybe sone character profile info/images as well.

SarusGray

Lovely OT and thanks for making it. Definitely deserved. I received the game early and some things I've noticed early,

The voice acting is surprisingly really good. (english)

Music is great. Very cheerful and fun. (That's a good thing.)

Plachta throws shade like crazy at poor Sophie

I love this game already.

Really debating where to play this, haha. I've enjoyed the other Atelier games more on Vita but I might start of this trilogy on PS4 for a change.

Really don't like the design of the book character, but I can't resist an Atelier game. They keep pumping these out faster than I can finish them though :p

Top Bottom