• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aubrey Plaza plays a social media stalker in Ingrid Goes West (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4vD1tWbPU

Ingrid_Goes_West.png

Ingrid Thorburn (Plaza), a mentally disturbed young woman, becomes obsessed with Taylor Sloane (Olsen), a social media star who appears to have the perfect life. But when Ingrid decides to drop everything and move west to befriend Taylor, her behavior turns unsettling and increasingly dangerous

This looks...surprisingly watchable.

Hopefully the movie has a good sense of dread.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
that looks stupendous. I'm glad Plaza got out of that weird sexpot/R-rated comedy wheel she was in for a year. and O'Shea jackson again!

zulux21

After Legion I'm totally down for more of Aubrey Plaza being fucking creepy

I was going to say same... but then I watched the trailer.

I'm out.
didn't seem interesting at all, and I dislike social media stuff in general.
was hoping that it would be interesting despite my social media dislike but alas, this is not for me.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Neon finally released an honest looking trailer for this.

Living in Austin we see their shit attached to everything at Alamo since Tim League owns both and they have been marketing this as a plucky comedy that implies Aubrey Plaza is an old buddy out to save her friend who became a vapid Instagram celebrity in California.

They did the same thing with Colossal as well.

They distribute really good movies, I'm hoping this is a turn for not marketing dark indie dramadies as plucky fun times.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I was pretty much in for Aubrey Plaza and then that last line had me laughing.

She does creepy real well and twisted freaky sexy shit is my bag so welp looks like i'm gonna see this. Really need to watch Legion...

DeathyBoy

Banned
Neon finally released an honest looking trailer for this.

Living in Austin we see their shit attached to everything at Alamo since Tim League owns both and they have been marketing this as a plucky comedy that implies Aubrey Plaza is an old buddy out to save her friend who became a vapid Instagram celebrity in California.

They did the same thing with Colossal as well.

They distribute really good movies, I'm hoping this is a turn for not marketing dark indie dramadies as plucky fun times.

See I love that shit. Imagine viewing stuff like this thinking it was a broad comedy and being blindsided in the cinema.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
This sounds like a more self-aware version of that bizarre Sandra Bullock/Bradley Cooper movie.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
See I love that shit. Imagine viewing stuff like this thinking it was a broad comedy and being blindsided in the cinema.

It's not a lot of fun when a close friend of yours Colossal:
who just got out of a domestic abuse situation is in the theater with you watching a funny movie about a lady who can control a monster and then the entire thing is about alcoholism and domestic abuse and they have a total melt down panic attack halfway through the movie

I'm not saying it's not a cool situation for people like you and I who don't have issues being surprised by disturbing stuff... but there are people who try and avoid super dark shit or at least want to have an idea of what they are in for going in.

CloudWolf

The trailer of this looks almost exactly like the first episode of the third season of Black Mirror. Could be good though.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ive never been so sold on an idea and then so unsold by a trailer. Maybe its the visual style or the stalkee, but i just don't like the look if the trailer.

Elizabeth Olsen was so good in Martha Marcy May Marlene but hasn't really been in anything worthwhile since then, it's kind of sad. Wind River should at least be decent.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
who just got out of a domestic abuse situation is in the theater with you watching a funny movie about a lady who can control a monster and then the entire thing is about alcoholism and domestic abuse and they have a total melt down panic attack halfway through the movie

I'm not saying it's not a cool situation for people like you and I who don't have issues being surprised by disturbing stuff... but there are people who try and avoid super dark shit or at least want to have an idea of what they are in for going in.

Big fan of trigger warnings then.

jwk94

I'm glad to see Cooper from Black Mirror is getting more work. Definitely seeing this.

The trailer of this looks almost exactly like the first episode of the third season of Black Mirror. Could be good though.

The only similarity is that both have a social media network...

zeemumu

This myth has been debunked a thousand times over.

It's more that a lot of film trailers nowadays tend to put their most exciting moments in the trailer to get butts in the seat. Sometimes that also involves giving away major spoilers, like the Connor-bot in Terminator Genisys, or putting most of the dinobot scenes in Transformers 4's trailer and all over the posters even though they have maybe a few minutes of actual screentime, or the poster to Pompeii being the ending of the film, or the poster of The Apparition being the ending of the film, or the poster of Quarantine being the ending of the film, or the ending of Paranormal Activity 1 being the main focus of every trailer for Paranormal Activity 1 because that's one of two times anything remotely trailer-worthy happens, or the very clear indicator of Gwen Stacy's death in Amazing Spider-Man 2's trailer.

Probably happens less than people believe it does but it does happen from time to time so I can't really agree that trailer spoilers are a myth.

aBarreras

It's more that a lot of film trailers nowadays tend to put their most exciting moments in the trailer to get butts in the seat. Sometimes that also involves giving away major spoilers, like the Connor-bot in Terminator Genisys, or putting most of the dinobot scenes in Transformers 4's trailer and all over the posters even though they have maybe a few minutes of actual screentime, or the poster to Pompeii being the ending of the film, or the poster of The Apparition being the ending of the film, or the poster of Quarantine being the ending of the film, or the ending of Paranormal Activity 1 being the main focus of every trailer for Paranormal Activity 1 because that's one of two times anything remotely trailer-worthy happens, or the very clear indicator of Gwen Stacy's death in Amazing Spider-Man 2's trailer.

Probably happens less than people believe it does but it does happen from time to time so I can't really agree that trailer spoilers are a myth.

i mean, you got a point, but pompeii is pompeii lol

zeemumu

i mean, you got a point, but pompeii is pompeii lol

True, but you can go even further back with actually good films like E.T. and the original King Kong.

I think it's more prevalent for horror though because the people who make the trailers like to put the jumpscares in the trailers to make them more exciting but ruin those scares (and spoil some deaths) by doing so.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Stuff like that is exactly why trigger-warnings are good. Most people with trauma live knowing that triggers exist all around them, and having to keep it together 24/7 can be mentally exhausting. So people keep their guard up as much as they can, but when they go home to read the web, or watch a movie, they let their guard down so they can be normal for a bit. If something hits them when their guard is down, it can trigger all sorts of stuff.

traveler

Not Wario

First farce, then tragedy :(

Desperado

There have been two movies in the past few years that I was shown by friends without being told they would be about serious issues that are very personal to me. I had significant physiological and psychological responses in both cases. If I had been warned I could have either chosen to not watch the movie or prepared myself instead of being blindsided.

Gobias

Banned
The movies is okay, but I feel like it fell short in being as dark as it should have been. Aubrey is pretty good in it though and O'Shea Jackson is great.

huh... that blurb in the op. so she's literally a crazy person? i don't get it. where can the movie possibly go? i mean it doesn't really look like it's gonna be into a psychological thriller.... but maybe it is?

You're gonna have to read what I was replying to again.

"Most trailers give away most of the movie." Regardless of how you feel about trailers "spoiling" a big scene or two, that is actually not true. Myth.

A 2 minute trailer (hell, 3 2 minute trailers) vs. a movie that's 90 minutes long on average…you do the math.

I can't tell you how often people leave movies going "hey, there were still a few surprises kept out of the trailer, even if I predicted the general throughline of the plot".

Future

You're gonna have to read what I was replying to again.

"Most trailers give away most of the movie." Regardless of how you feel about trailers "spoiling" a big scene or two, that is actually not true. Myth.

A 2 minute trailer (hell, 3 2 minute trailers) vs. a movie that's 90 minutes long on average…you do the math.

I can't tell you how often people leave movies going "hey, there were still a few surprises kept out of the trailer, even if I predicted the general throughline of the plot".

It's not about math. It's about whether or not all the general plot points are revealed.

Terminator genysys is a great example. Half of the film seems built on a twist that you already know from the trailer. So all the suspense and audience mystery is taken away. Are there a lot of bits in between? Sure. But some people value that mystery as part of their experience and they are the ones that complain

I know this because I also complain :p. Can't even watch tv previews for serialized shows anymore

Top Bottom