• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aung San Suu Kyi: No ethnic cleansing of Myanmar Muslim minority

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
BBC News said:
Aung San Suu Kyi has denied there is ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya Muslim minority in Myanmar, despite widespread reports of abuses.

In an exclusive interview with the BBC, the Nobel peace prize winner acknowledged problems in Rakhine state, where most Rohingya people live.

But she said ethnic cleansing was "too strong" a term to use.

Instead, Myanmar's de-facto leader said the country would welcome any returning Rohingya with open arms.

"I don't think there is ethnic cleansing going on. I think ethnic cleansing is too strong an expression to use for what is happening," she told the BBC's special correspondent Fergal Keane.

Ms Suu Kyi added: "I think there is a lot of hostility there - it is Muslims killing Muslims as well, if they think they are co-operating with the authorities.

"It is not just a matter of ethnic cleansing as you put it - it is a matter of people on different sides of the divide, and this divide we are trying to close up."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39507350

Call Bono and tell him to go fuck himself if old.

This is the same piece of shit that said those same minorities were randomly combusting right?

Nobel peace prize had become a joke

Fitting that The Lady was a hilarious tonal mess by that hack Luc Besson.

She got the piece of shit movie she deserved.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What a horrible woman.
What a turn of events.

She was like Myanmar's Anne Frank a couple of years ago, peacefully confined to her home under political house arrest for decades.

I'll need to re-investigate this myself. Seems like too nuanced of an issue to be understood through one or two angry words on GAF.

It's not ethnic cleansing because some Muslims are taking part in it.

She said words to those effect and I swear I died a little on the inside.

ibyea

Banned
What a turn of events.

She was like Myanmar's Anne Frank a couple of years ago, peacefully confined to her home under political house arrest for decades.

I'll need to re-investigate this myself. Seems like too nuanced of an issue to be understood through one or two angry words on GAF.

The thing is, this is actually not out of nowhere.

What a turn of events.

She was like Myanmar's Anne Frank a couple of years ago, peacefully confined to her home under house arrest for decades.

It's not too hard to grasp really. Democracy in East and South East Asia is a very genuine issue, but it doesn't make proponents of it immune from regional biases that would otherwise seem at odds with those democratic values. Plus well, being out of power vs being in it.

pa22word

What a turn of events.

She was like Myanmar's Anne Frank a couple of years ago, confined to her home as a peaceful political prisoner for decades.

Yep. It's just fucking tragic. One of Hilary Clinton's biggest achievements as sos was centered around bringing her to power. We'd probably be talking intervention level stuff if the election would have went the other way. Sometimes you never can tell, but with this and Egypt I find it really hard sometimes to say guys like kissinger are totally full of shit. You upend a military dictatorship and boom you get theocracy or fascist. Sometimes, the status quo is probably the best option--dictator or no dictator--and you getting involved is only going to lay bloody your own hands for doing so.

SKINNER!

Banned

By all means, investigate yourself and come up with your own opinion but there's really nothing to it. Piece of shit who managed pulled to the wool over everyone's eyes.

The Independent said:
Aung San Suu Kyi lost her cool following a tense interview with BBC presenter Mishal Husain and was heard muttering "no one told me I was going to be interviewed by a Muslim", it has been claimed.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...e-interviewed-by-a-muslim-after-a6951941.html

What a turn of events.

There is significant evidence and first hand witness accounts of the atrocities (murder/rape) against civilians by the army while she just sits idly and quietly by. BBC has been covering it for a long time now. There is fighting between Rohingya militants and the army, and the army retaliates by attacking civilians as well, like burning down entire villages which is filled with charred remains of civilians.

Jonah Fisher, a BBC correspondent to Burma/Myanmar has been involved in the region for over two decades, he interviewed her 22 years as well. He recently did a fact checking of her interview recently with Fergal Keane (the interview in the OP).

https://twitter.com/JonahFisherBBC/status/849846284588523520

kottila

She didn't receive the peace prize for being a nice person, but for an effort in a specific conflict. How on earth would the committee be able to predict how she would act as a leader 25 years in to the future?

SKINNER!

Banned
She didn't receive the peace prize for being a nice person, but for an effort in a specific conflict. How on earth would the committee be able to predict how she would act as a leader 25 years in to the future?

While I agree with you that perhaps she received that prize as an accomplishment for her involvement in a specific conflict but given that the very same price was given to Obama for being a "nice person" doesn't really help with signifiyng the Nobel Peace Prize as anything more than a meaningless prize given to people to looked right in the eyes of the people. Peace prize was given to Arafat, Perez and Rabin in 1994. Arafat is still perceived as a terrorist to some and Israel is seen as an apartheid state by others. Nothing changed. Nobel Peace Prize lost its value and meaning a long time ago.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That makes me sad. I guess I've been clued out of Myanmar for the last decade. Last I checked in, even the BBC treated her like the Dalai Mandela :(

kottila

While I agree with you that perhaps she received that prize as an accomplishment for her involvement in a specific conflict but given that the very same price was given to Obama for being a "nice person" doesn't really help with signifiyng the Nobel Peace Prize as anything more than a meaningless prize.

If they're not to be seen as meaningless, then they have to give it to people that may later disappoint. Who knows what will happen in Colombia, even if people are optimistic now

Edit. It's a diploma and some money. All it does is have the world focus on a conflict or agency for a short while, not sure what else it should be expected to do

Chuckie

What a turn of events.

Not really. This has been known for a while now. Although it is indeed a total contrast with the image we (or at least I) used to have of her.

SKINNER!

Banned
If they're not to be seen as meaningless, then they have to give it to people that may later disappoint. Who knows what will happen in Colombia, even if people are optimistic now

Valid point. Perhaps my perception of the Nobel Peace Prize receiver is of someone who is recognised as a contributor to World Peace and it is their duty as that prize holder to uphold the values of peace for which the prize is about.

You can commit genocide against a people if they are a minority is okay to oppress and if they are considered not aesthetically pleasing.

The UN famously shys away from using the term 'genocide' as it's a technical definition, and are fearful of using it when it is not appropriate. The UN has been calling this a genocide for around a couple years.

The sad part is while the genocide was occurring, and the Rohingya were fleeing to other countries like Thailand they were being imprisoned as slaves by Thai fisherman in numbers of tens of thousands, being beaten and raped to death as slaves. All this fish is bound for the West. We could easily pressure the Thai government to do something. But, again, they are not considered pretty, and are Muslims, and have no foreign friends. Kill away.

We also tried to play nice and ignore the genocide, while it was happening, and wooed Kyi, to get Myanmars oil.

That makes me sad. I guess I've been clued out of Myanmar for the last decade. Last I checked in, even the BBC treated her like the Dalai Mandela :(

I think the example of Nelson Mandela has unfortunately skewed western perceptions of how a democratic protester turned political leader will end up. The thing is, the history of South Africa meant that Mandela emerged in and dealt with a racial context that was quite intimately familiar to a western - especially American - viewer; that of black people suffering under white supremacy. It was also an omnipresent facet of his society, and it was well known even before he was freed that would have to be addressed. Aung San Suu Kyi is acting against a minority in her country that live primarily within a few provinces that were largely removed from the political process she was engaged in, and so I think completely blindsided a lot of her western supporters.

This is the saddest part. Actually the BBC did embarrass and humiliate her on hard talk, and they have been covering this, but not much.

No one is really covering it at all, and no one really cares. Almost no one I know, knows this is even happening. The media just doesn't care.

They're Muslim, don't look good in pictures, and have no friends. Our culture doesn't care as it as not humanized them, therefore our media and people also don't care.

The stories of what is happening to them, how they are being brutalized. My GF wanted to visit Myanmar, and I just said, I'd never go there at the moment. She had no idea, what I was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom