• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aussie gets $1.5 million dollar (AU) fine for copy/uploading NSMBWii

Minsc

Gold Member
This guy did it to prove a point? :lol

Here’s WoSblog’s view: Nintendo will never receive a penny from this alleged criminal. He doesn’t have it, and what he does have it’d cost them more to have their lawyers pursue him for. I’m betting that this “settlement” quietly agrees that he pays them nothing, but keeps quiet about it.

:lol at all the people bitching a $1.5M is out of line. It's like I said all along, you can't bleed a stone, and this prick's excuse is he wanted to be a showoff?

Hope everyone sheds a few more tears for him.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Guy and his parents were on the current affairs show tonight, tried to record but my box stuffed up.

Minsc

Gold Member
VOOK said:
Guy and his parents were on the current affairs show tonight, tried to record but my box stuffed up.

Current Affairs is a fluff show, at least here in the states. Is that a serious news show? I'd be curious what someone's take on a more political news station would be, like if MSNBC covered this.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Minsc said:
Current Affairs is a fluff show, at least here in the states. Is that a serious news show? I'd be curious what someone's take on a more political news station would be, like if MSNBC covered this.

Yes, it's a piece of shit here too. The 7.30 Report would be a better fit.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Minsc said:

Yeah A Current Affair and Today Tonight the two daily shows on the comercial networks are drivel, but still was interesting.

Boss of Nintendo Australia was on it too :lol

VOOK said:
I swear I looked it up on their shitty site.

You don't need to make excuses, nobody should willingly expose themselves to their shitty site or program (its a severe health risk). I was just lucky I looked in the right place so I could minimise my own exposure (it was the 3rd featured video on the front page ... u had to scroll across)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jintor said:
He broke the law, and he knew that he broke the law when he was breaking it.

2w3pb3c.jpg

NotWii

Banned
Minsc said:
It's sensationalist garbage here as well, if only it came with a disclaimer...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Aurora said:
How did they trace the guy? I'd assume he used proxies.

Didn't he just throw it on to a public torrent tracker? I'm not even sure where I heard in this, in fact it's probably just an assumption on my part.

Clipper

They caught him because he put photos of his receipt and himself with the game on a public forum as proof that he owned a real copy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BishopLamont said:
What did he do again?
He uploaded a piece of copywrited material to the internet with the intent of distributing it, which in turn was used by a more anonymous party to create a form which a person intent on stealing the copywrited material is able to download off the internet, burn it to a DVD, and play it on a system with minimal software modifications, all before the the copywrited material was officially available anywhere world wide.

How did they trace the guy? I'd assume he used proxies.
No, they just went to GBA-Temp. The guy used next to nothing to hide him self and admitted to uploading a copy for (an intended to be Limited) distribution.

ShinNL

Drkirby said:
He uploaded a piece of copywrited material to the internet with the intent of distributing it, which in turn was used by a more anonymous party to create a form which a person intent on stealing the copywrited material is able to download off the internet, burn it to a DVD, and play it on a system with minimal software modifications, all before the the copywrited material was officially available anywhere world wide.

No, they just went to GBA-Temp. The guy used next to nothing to hide him self and admitted to uploading a copy for (an intended to be Limited) distribution.
The way you typed it almost resembles how I use copyrighted songs for my game videos and upload them to YouTube so others can see it, hoping it won't be caught by the audio checks.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
BishopLamont said:
What did he do again?
He facilitated in and initiated the illegal distribution of copyrighted material to tens of thousands of individuals (at least) for free.

In other words, he ripped NSMBWii and uploaded it to a public torrent tracker a week before the game's official release. Tens of thousands of people used this torrent to download the game.

1.5 Million is a BIT much.

I mean, is this just some dude living at home or some shit?

But yeah, piracy is almost considered standard procedure down here. I worked at EB back in 2000 and people would literally walk in and ask if WE modded consoles.

Or told us they were only buying the Dreamcast because they didn't have to mod it to play games. :lol It's just so 'normal' down here.

The clash between people having legitimate discussion over what would be the most appropriate means of justice for this case in relation to current international standards, and the people saying "Omg how can you defend this guy!? He broke the law!!!" is hilarious. It perfectly illustrates a certain recurring phenomenon in internet culture.

zigg

Dance In My Blood said:
Do you really think people who are capable of buying a product explicitly go out of their way to pirate it?

Um, yeah, they do, for various values of "capability to buy", how "out of their way" they have to go, and additional variables such as "how early can I get my hands on it" and "do I really want to drive to the store/wait for the shipping".

All also offset by "how much do I personally care about buying the product in the first place"—a variable you simply need to look around at everyone you know who has ever illegally obtained any media, and the reasons they did so (or did not do so), in order to understand its scope.

Don't be so dense.

Top Bottom