• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

Jay Sosa said:
Because I'm an ignorant fool I didn't read all replies..are there really sharks in the streets?

EDIT: Yeah nuclear power! I bet ya'll didn't grow up when Tschernobyl happened, that was a fun time! And who cares about the waste? Just ship it to Africa!

This isn't the thread for this, so I'm just going to say this:

derp

Jintor

Jay Sosa said:
Because I'm an ignorant fool I didn't read all replies..are there really sharks in the streets?

EDIT: Yeah nuclear power! I bet ya'll didn't grow up when Tschernobyl happened, that was a fun time! And who cares about the waste? Just ship it to Africa!

Australia actually stores quite a bit of radioactive waste as a result of the large-scale uranium mining that supplies other countries with their nuclear power

Dead Man

pieatorium said:
The norther part of NT is good for fishing, SA should be first choice as a dump site imo might spice the place up a bit.
Nah, too many people here cry about storing waste in the most sensible, most geologically stable part of the country.

jambo

pieatorium said:
The norther part of NT is good for fishing, SA should be first choice as a dump site imo might spice the place up a bit.
Put it in Redfern, no one would notice the difference.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
pieatorium said:

You don't get to make quips anymore mr doesn't watch the GSL anymore!

SA has balls! big shiny metal ones.

Grug

I work in Policy for a QLD Govt Department. The flood response has taken immediate priority over everything else. It's pretty far removed from the sort of stuff we deal with on a daily basis, but at the moment it's totally an "all hands on deck thing". So much work to be done at so many levels.

Dead Man said:
Nah, too many people here cry about storing waste in the most sensible, most geologically stable part of the country.

funny thing is that there are barrels of the stuff kept under the Royal Adelaide Hospital but no one arcs up about it cause they dont know its there.

Im sure lots of radio active waste is being kept under plenty of hospitals all over the country, right next to people doing their everyday jobs, but no one seems to care about that stuff...

BowieZ

Banned
index.php

:')

Dead Man

http://abc.com.au/news/stories/2011/01/18/3115839.htm

Police have released a chilling photo of a person caught in the raging torrent of water that swept through Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley, in southern Queensland, last Monday.

Police are appealing for public information in the hope that someone will know the identity or current whereabouts of the person.

The photo, taken from the Grand Central Shopping Centre and overlooking Dent Street in Toowoomba, was handed to police by a member of the public.

Heavy rain created a deadly torrent of water that swept people off their feet, cars down city streets and houses off their foundations in the Darling Downs city.

Eight days after the destructive wall of water ripped through the region, the search for bodies in the Lockyer Valley continues, with hundreds of army soldiers and police scouring the area.

Premier Anna Bligh confirmed yesterday the state's flood death toll had risen to 20 and 12 others were still missing.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Toowoomba Police on 07 4631 6333 or CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000.

Click for larger:

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
A MYSTERY woman photographed in raging floodwaters in southeast Queensland has been found alive and well.

Police released a photo today taken during last week's flash flood in Toowoomba, which showed a woman bobbing in a torrent of floodwater.

Authorities were concerned the woman could have gone missing but say now the teenage girl photographed was rescued by member of the public further down stream and wants to remain anonymous.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...nd-safe-and-well/story-fn7ikbtj-1225990612187

Looks like its same person. Well they used the same photo so i guess it is.

Same story different source

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/env...ry-flood-woman-found-safe-20110118-19v1r.html

jambo

chicko1983 said:
funny thing is that there are barrels of the stuff kept under the Royal Adelaide Hospital but no one arcs up about it cause they dont know its there.

Im sure lots of radio active waste is being kept under plenty of hospitals all over the country, right next to people doing their everyday jobs, but no one seems to care about that stuff...
Low level medical waste is a little different to high level waste from power plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom