• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
Would make a great jigsaw puzzle.

r702244_5398059.jpg

Grug

KAP151 said:
Everyone saying that people don't drink Fosters Lager in Australia...

28p_crown_lager.jpg

Guess what this is?

Tryhard beer that douchebags drink thinking it will make them look classy.

Can't remember the last time that I saw someone drinking Crown Lager.

Fat Yak ftw.

trinest

Grug said:

Pretty much. Any beer which Americans have a perception we drink is quite exzaduated.

Jintor

Grug said:

Fat Yak ftw.

Listen, when you get free drinks, you man up and drink it. No matter what kind it is.

Papa

Banned
Now that we're on the topic of beer, my fav is Monteith's Summers. They're a seasonal release and I think only Dan Murphy's carries them but damn they're good.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My mate's street in Victoria got evacuated a few hours ago. Levee bank broke and water was up to the top of the sandbags.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Another decent cider is Mercury. The Tasmanians know how to brew good beer and cider. I'm lately going through a Cooper's phase, which I thought would never happen since most people I knew who drank it were complete arseholes.

EatChildren said:
My mate's street in Victoria got evacuated a few hours ago. Levee bank broke and water was up to the top of the sandbags.
Crazy stuff. I hope everything is okay down south as they're expected to receive more.

Salazar

Fucked up if Coronation Dr is screwed. I take a different bus to uni now, so I'm not personally bothered, but the volume of traffic that would be diverted would be significant.

Nemesis_

speedpop said:
Another decent cider is Mercury. The Tasmanians know how to brew good beer and cider. I'm lately going through a Cooper's phase, which I thought would never happen since most people I knew who drank it were complete arseholes.

Because arsehole personality precludes beverage choice!

Jintor

Man, I know QLD has it bad, but I feel so sorry for Rio and Sri Lanka right now. They're getting it just as bad, if not worse, except they simply don't have the infrastructure to cope, and they're way more densely populated...

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
shanshan310 said:
pear cider is fantastic :D

On a side note, everyone doing okay with the flooding?

Cider in general is awesome.

Guzzled a whole carton around New Years. Potent stuff as well. Didnt get a hangover either which is awesome.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nemesis556 said:
Because arsehole personality precludes beverage choice!
You'd be surprised at the comparisons and connections behind personal taste choices, especially when it concerns such a broad, diverse, and subjective beverage as alcohol. Working in a bar for so long whilst majoring in psychology gives you an incentive to try and connect the dots during the boring hours and realise the greater picture.

Most rum drinkers won't touch it until they hit a threshold on beer, for example. Most scotch drinkers are completely different to other spirit drinkers in personality and how they carry themselves - the same method can also be used in who is more likely to drink gin vs vodka (even if they've never tried either). Out of the two big red wine staples in the country, mostly quiet and reserved people tend to drink shiraz whereas louder and more boistrous people are more inclined to drink merlot. I mean, yeah it may all be meaningless crap and full of co-incidences, but the examples were there for years for me. Having regulars every week also helped define personality traits.

In a way it's kinda like knowing that someone is likely to be from Queensland if they drink XXXX or someone is likely to be a Victorian when they drink nothing but beer from Foster's.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
speedpop said:
Another decent cider is Mercury. The Tasmanians know how to brew good beer and cider. I'm lately going through a Cooper's phase, which I thought would never happen since most people I knew who drank it were complete arseholes.more.

I love my cider, but I'm not a huuuge Mercury fan. There's nothing wrong with it and it does the job, but even the dry is a little bit too sweet for my liking.

Also, on the subject of Crown, I like Crown. I like Crown in the same way that sometimes I like a heavy lagar. It's not even in the ballpark of being my favourite beer, but its refreshing at the right time.

Gazunta

Sorry to go off topic, but is anyone else in Brisbane planning on helping with the volunteer stuff that's going on this weekend?

Dead Man

EatChildren said:
I love my cider, but I'm not a huuuge Mercury fan. There's nothing wrong with it and it does the job, but even the dry is a little bit too sweet for my liking.

Also, on the subject of Crown, I like Crown. I like Crown in the same way that sometimes I like a heavy lagar. It's not even in the ballpark of being my favourite beer, but its refreshing at the right time.
That's why God invented Mexican beers. Or even Japanese beers.

dejay

Banned
Dead Man said:
Very OT, but I just looked at the list of Australian breweries on wikipedia, pretty depressing. Lots of good microbrews, but only 1 independent large brewer. Go Coopers!

Coopers red for me - it puts hairs on your chest, even if you're female.

Going off topic - the floods. I turned on the tele for the first time in about 6 months to watch the 20Twenty match. Picked a good game to watch. Flicking over to 7's coverage of the floods made me want to throw up in my mouth. Just report it - don't put saccharine music behind everything and don't use words like Aussie, or battler, or spirit, or scenes of devastation in every fucking sentence. I really can't stand it - I think it's gotten worse in 6 months.

I was wondering why I would feel this unease and negative association before at the thought of turning the tele on - I think I answered my own question.

Anyway, anyone know of the best charity to donate to?

CryptiK

nope there will be a lot of homeless people and a lot of buisnesses lost and they will wonder why the economy will cripple and the dollar will dive...

Coeliacus

Grug said:
Arsehole.
Coopers rock go to hell. Also Crownies taste like family Christmas to me. Don't shit on Christmas.

I have nothing against fat yak, it's a nice beer but get your flavour of the month tastes out of this thread.
Is there a beer thread? I love to ramble about good beer.

trinest

I just want to say somehow I don't think a segment about "celeberaties in the flood" is in good spirit and crosses some sort of line into bad taste.

Is there a beer thread? I love to ramble about good beer.
Yes there is.

Salazar

Rlan said:
So if I went into town today, would everything be open, or is it still closed down cleaning up stuff?

I doubt there'd be many places open.

Courier Mail is making Campbell Newman out as a Giuliani figure.

Bernbaum

Rlan said:
So if I went into town today, would everything be open, or is it still closed down cleaning up stuff?
There were a few restaurants and cafes open for trade in the city yesterday. Not sure about retail stores.

The city was very busy, and I made the mistake of driving through the CBD. There were a few traffic bottlenecks, the traffic lights were still out at a lot of intersections and I didn't want to stick around as cleanup trucks and emergency services vehicles were trying to get in and out.

I'm expecting the CBD to be more than 50% up and running on Monday and a lot of people, myself included, will be going back to work.

Coeliacus

My hometown of Charlton in Vic has been flooded out, as well as a bunch of others in Northern Victoria. Doesn't sound nearly as bad as anything happening in Queensland but the phone towers, power and everything are down so I can't get into contact with them. Driving me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom