• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

shanshan310 said:
Anna Bligh was pretty much in tears when she said that.

Is it true Brisbane State High has gone under?! Thats pretty far back/ up a hill. :S

Man, this is feeling really surreal. I mean, its not flooding in my part of Brisbane, and Its even sunny now. Its hard to imagine that just over the hill Brisbane's underwater..
Wow, that puts both my high school and my undergrad University underwater if true (although given the '74 flood water mark plaque that was present in the labs of the Axon building at UQ, I wasn't that surprised to hear it was going under again.

At least my primary school is safe.

Wii said:
It looks so peaceful when you don't have people talking over the footage

RussiaToday's compilation of flooded brisbane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDip6a9kfB0

the youtube comments are making me facepalm so bad...

oh my god this is horrible. its such a beautiful place! i hope it recovers quickly. is new Zealand flooding too?

Apparently this is our cumupance because we "killed 65 million abrogins and ordered non whites till 20 years ago by law to que separately in airports and council offices".

I'm sorry... I know reading youtube comments is the lowest of low :lol *sigh* But at least its lightening the mood.

Salazar said:
The Gap

N83i8.jpg

wait. WHAT!!?!?

Salazar said:
:lol

Mush, Mush, post if you are ok.

Can't help you. That was just the SMH gallery caption.

That was more just me freaking out cause the Gap was never on flood alert or anything.. plus it seems to be okay...:lol

Salazar

A Seaworld bloke says bull sharks are "skittish" and likely to flee from loud noises or splashing.

Why would he lie ?

mandiller

The bottom floor of my place went under partially :-/ *sigh* much clean up to be done. Hope it will be liveable fairly soon. There is no power obviously. I have a friend nearby I can stay with though.

Bernbaum

legend166 said:
Grug, meet Choc.
Oh boy! :lol

mandiller said:
The bottom floor of my place went under partially :-/ *sigh* much clean up to be done. Hope it will be liveable fairly soon. There is no power obviously. I have a friend nearby I can stay with though.
Damn, sorry to hear it. Hopefully it wasn't living quarters and was just storage/laundry stuff.

Bernbaum said:
For anyone in the Gap, Enoggera, or Mt. Coot-tha who isn't already informed, you've been advised to boil all drinking water to avoid contamination.

More here.

cheers. Was wondering why the water tasted funny...

Salazar said:
wmE5F.jpg

Le Poulet Rouge is down.

During my time as an kitchenhand there, we called it "the cult of the crimson fowl".

GaryD

mandiller said:

Do u need a hand to clean up? if you're on the north side let me know and I can try and help on Saturday.

mandiller

GaryD said:
Do u need a hand to clean up? if you're on the north side let me know and I can try and help on Saturday.
That's very kind. But I'll have to see it for myself when I get back there tomorrow. My friend here is getting me some mops and things tomorrow with any luck. I don't know the extent of it and if my fridges survived. My sofas went under partially but they might be saved with a bit of cleaning. Still a lot of uncertainty.

BowieZ

Banned
Fusebox said:
Damn, did any high-end kit get ruined?
Nah, all the very most expensive equipment including the desk and computer gear, were removed... which took up most of the time and efforts anyway.

Ventron

Is there any way into the city anymore? I'm guessing it's impossible to go and see the river now without being turned away.

Choc said:
anna you champion, amazing performance so far.

churchillian like

:lol :lol

Ventron

Sheeeit at those pictures of Bunnings near Archerfield.

I wonder if any insurance companies will go broke over this.

Ventron said:
Sheeeit at those pictures of Bunnings near Archerfield.

I wonder if any insurance companies will go broke over this.

apparently a lot of companies don't insure flood damage in basic plans =/ Unfortunately I can see a lot of people not getting much help from that area.

BowieZ

Banned
shanshan310 said:
:O

Did you move those white couches or did the flood? Hope most of the stuff left in there is salvagable.
Nah all the perrty white couches were stacked on the bar counter but one needed to be pulled down to access one of the rooms. But yeah, a lot of stuff was moved about otherwise.

If you look at the first photo I posted, you can see the marker of dirt along the wall where the flood level reached.

saunderez

shanshan310 said:
I've been looking at this for a while and I really can't figure out how they got the floaties on...
They're probably the clip-apart type that are designed to be faster to put on and take off.

RustyO

Hope everyone is safe and going ok.

Qld Police: "There have been complaints about the noise of Army helicopters, please be patient."

Salazar

RustyO said:

Qld Police: "There have been complaints about the noise of Army helicopters, please be patient."

My neighbours are playing butt-rock at extreme volume. An army chopper would be like Vivaldi.

Ferga

RustyO said:

But but... they are helping people! How can people complain about that?

Those helicopters could potentially save them

RustyO said:

wow seriously? That should be the least of everyone's concerns...

"Your means of saving people is disrupting my viewing of the flood coverage".

Salazar

Here's one for UQ GAF :lol

lFIcv.jpg

They're saying uni is shut until next Wednesday. I can vaguely see why.

And this pic is kind of awesome.

kw0MD.jpg

RustyO

shanshan310 said:
RustyO said:

wow seriously? That should be the least of everyone's concerns...

"Your means of saving people is disrupting my viewing of the flood coverage".

Yep. Source: ABC News.

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:
Found this on SA. Don't know if it originated there or not.

BWVVc.jpg
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Aw man, that sucks.

Salazar said:
Here's one for UQ GAF :lol

http://i.imgur.com/lFIcv.jpg[IMG]

They're saying uni is shut until next Wednesday. I can vaguely see why.

And this pic is kind of awesome.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kw0MD.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I've caught about a million buses from that stop, and had half a million BBQ's at the 'Red People' statues at Kangaroo Point.

Goddamn this is weird. I've been at home where it's sunny and unaffected for the last few days, and I'm seeing all these familiar locales like it's an alien planet.

Someone talk me out of going into the city tomorrow.

Dead Man

legend166 said:
The floods are so bad that we're now seperated from New Zealand by a massive ocean :(
BowieZ said:
Photos of the aftermath of the studio I record at. :...(

163734_498395659706_124841579706_5864110_1816195_n.jpg
Not Lethal Weapon!

Seriously though, looks like a massive cleanup for all you QLD guys. Hope it is not as bad as it looks.

RustyO said:

People. Fucking hell.

Salazar

Police arrived to make neighbour turn the music off. Neighbour, having complied, is now hurling drunken abuse at the police as they stand outside, saying he will just turn it back up when they leave.

Bogan circus.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Salazar said:

Police arrived to make neighbour turn the music off. Neighbour, having complied, is now hurling drunken abuse at the police as they stand outside, saying he will just turn it back up when they leave.

Bogan circus.

Also, my condolences to everyone starting to clean up. That brown silt is a fucking nightmare.

Router said:

Also, my condolences to everyone starting to clean up. That brown silt is a fucking nightmare.

I look at the bins floating in it an feel like vomiting. Apparently sewerage is coming back up too :S

Mohonky

Had a customer call and ask where there delivery was today, they were in Sydney. I was like we're based in Brisbane, and the place was a disaster area and as such we had no way or sending or receiving any items at this point in time and we couldn't give an exact date for delivery.

She seemed to then suggest maybe we should look at others ways of sending the items....because like, maybe some courier services use dolphins or something....

Bernbaum

My shops are getting empty and word is they won't be getting in fresh stock until next Tuesday.

Fresh produce is all gone, most common cuts of meat and poultry are all gone, but they seem to have been re-stocking most canned goods.

I can't see it getting serious, but if it does, I'll be the guy with the pitchfork fending off his pile of corn chips and Oreos.

Mush

Salazar said:

Mush, Mush, post if you are ok.
Sorry guys, it's been pretty bad here lately. I'm currently floating on a flock of Sheep, and my wifi is shaky at best.

Here's a picture from my phone, excuse the quality.
RvVPf.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom