• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Authorities reportedly ordered Google to reveal the identities of some YouTube videos' viewers

Spyxos

Gold Member
160155-295382-295381_rc.jpg

Federal authorities in the US asked Google for the names, addresses, telephone numbers and user activity of the accounts that watched certain YouTube videos between January 1 and 8, 2023, according to unsealed court documents viewed by Forbes. People who watched those videos while they weren't logged into an account weren't safe either, because the government also asked for their IP addresses. The investigators reportedly ordered Google to hand over the information as part of an investigation into someone who uses the name "elonmuskwhm" online.

Authorities suspect that elonmuskwhm is selling bitcoin for cash and is, thus, breaking money laundering laws, as well as running an unlicensed money transmitting business. Undercover agents reportedly sent the suspect links to videos of YouTube tutorials for mapping via drones and augmented reality software in their conversations back in early January. Those videos, however, weren't private and had been collectively viewed by over 30,000 times, which means the government was potentially asking Google for private information on quite a large number of users.

Based on the documents Forbes had seen, the court granted the order but had asked Google to keep it under wraps. It's also unclear if Google handed over the data the authorities were asking for.

In another incident, authorities asked the company for a list of accounts that "viewed and/or interacted" with eight YouTube livestreams. Cops requested for that information after learning that they were being watched through a stream while they were searching an area following a report that an explosive was placed inside a trashcan.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Online "anonymity" hasn't been a thing in YEARS. I'm convinced the main reason folks don't use it to prosecute all sorts of crimes is A. No juror could follow the esoteric data trail and B. EVERYONE, including the judges and prosecuters, would then be at risk themselves.

Kadve

Police can order Phone nummers and calling history handed out if its for the sake of an investigation. I don't really see how IP addresses are different.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
So the authorities did the right thing then, good! Every criminal person should feel chased.

Police can order Phone nummers and calling history handed out if its for the sake of an investigation. I don't really see how IP addresses are different.
Unless I’m misreading they are investigating 1 person but have requested the personal information of potentially up to hundreds or thousands of innocent people.

SoloCamo

So many people in thread are so naive. If I could afford to I'd just own my own mountain at this point. No one seems to understand the implications but "scary bad man put away so good job big daddy government!"

Online "anonymity" hasn't been a thing in YEARS. I'm convinced the main reason folks don't use it to prosecute all sorts of crimes is A. No juror could follow the esoteric data trail and B. EVERYONE, including the judges and prosecuters, would then be at risk themselves.

And for those that think otherwise, no a VPN will not save you.

Last edited:

Kadve

Unless I’m misreading they are investigating 1 person but have requested the personal information of potentially up to hundreds or thousands of innocent people.
Sounds like they are trying to unravel a potential network through a sting operation to me. And to do that you often have to figure out where the money ended up and who got it even if many of them do end up being innocent.

Anyway. Cybercriminals are a thing and complete internet anonymity would just leave them free rein. So that's actually not something i want a thing.

Top Bottom