• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft president claims Russian intelligence is trying to "penetrate gaming communities"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
The president of Microsoft has claimed that his company has identified Russian intelligence and military groups trying to spread information via games communities.

During an on-stage interview at Semafor's World Economy Summit, Brad Smith was asked about the recent leak of Pentagon documents on a games-centric Discord server, and whether there are leaks and security issues in the gaming world that worry him.

"Well, I'll put gaming in the right context for this. It's not like playing Call of Duty is going to lead to deaths in the real world – I mean, these are video games," he said. "What people are talking about is, around games you have a community of gamers that come together, they talk to each other, including when they're playing a game.

"For the last several months, our digital threat analysis team has been identifying efforts by the Russians to basically penetrate gaming communities… And we've been advising governments about this. It's [Russian private military corporation] The Wagner Group, it's Russian intelligence, and they're using this as a place to get information into circulation.

"That's what happened here. It included the Discord channel around Minecraft, it included others of these [communities]."

Smith added that he believes this is "not the No.1 thing we should worry about" because such groups "are gonna publish information somewhere."

"It just happens [games communities are] a good place for them to get the information into circulation, and ultimately journalists find it," he said.

The leaked Pentagon documents reportedly revealed information regarding the Ukraine war, and the current suspect is believed to be a young gun enthusiast who was part of a games group on Discord.

ZoukGalaxy

Beware.

hacker GIF

feynoob

Banned
Information warfares.
That is the war that is currently happening. Expect all type of communication devices to be at the center of these wars.
From Reddit, to gaming channels, to discord. It's effective way of pushing your propaganda without financial strain.

mortal

Gold Member
Presently, US companies are their own worst enemy when it comes to all of the progressive stuff creeping into gaming and media at large, thanks to some of the weirdos being hired into executive roles to fill quotas.
Maybe they are, but the last thing on my mind is Russia intelligence.

oldergamer

This is interesting as they say the person that leaked top secret info, did so in a gaming discord group. A kid that is 21yrs old

Chukhopops

They already have. It stopped, but "some" gaming boards were meme central when it came to posting pro-Russian memes about "strongman" Putin. It was obvious propaganda.
It stopped because plenty of them got banned, but even last week there was someone here pushing it in the Saudi gaming fund thread.

I’m not sure how much of it is actually Russian in origin though.

feynoob

Banned
They already have. It stopped, but "some" gaming boards were meme central when it came to posting pro-Russian memes about "strongman" Putin. It was obvious propaganda.
There was that horse ride propaganda, where Putin was half naked. It portrait him as a strong leader.

Come forward with Ukraine war, and he went to hide in his private building.

Ozriel

M$FT
Shocking news: bad guys also like to play games.

Hitler even liked dogs!

No. That’s not what this is about. There have been multiple leaks of sensitive material on War Thunder forums, and now multiple Discord gaming groups.

Presently, US companies are their own worst enemy when it comes to all of the progressive stuff creeping into gaming and media at large, thanks to some of the weirdos being hired into executive roles to fill quotas.
Maybe they are, but the last thing on my mind is Russia intelligence.

You’re not the target audience for this warning.

Isn’t Atomic Heart on GP? 🤔

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

HYDE

Banned
Shocking news: bad guys also like to play games.

Hitler even liked dogs!
Lol! Never forget when they confiscated Osama Bin Laden’s shit, and he had a pc with emulators & roms etc…an internet connection in a desert hole 🕳️

realcool

i was playing call of duty yesterday and some guy with a russian accent called me a racial slur then told me to join his discord. now look, i'm cool with being falsely typified through epithets... just don't try to propagandize me. thats way outta line.

way outta line.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Active measures baby. It is quite clear, that they did, because otherwise we wouldn't have so many tankies and on the flip side also less "Hitler did nothing wrong", Russia is known to fuel both sides, just to create chaos.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The president of Microsoft has claimed that his company has identified Russian intelligence and military groups trying to spread information via games communities.

During an on-stage interview at Semafor's World Economy Summit, Brad Smith was asked about the recent leak of Pentagon documents on a games-centric Discord server, and whether there are leaks and security issues in the gaming world that worry him.

"Well, I'll put gaming in the right context for this. It's not like playing Call of Duty is going to lead to deaths in the real world – I mean, these are video games," he said. "What people are talking about is, around games you have a community of gamers that come together, they talk to each other, including when they're playing a game.

"For the last several months, our digital threat analysis team has been identifying efforts by the Russians to basically penetrate gaming communities… And we've been advising governments about this. It's [Russian private military corporation] The Wagner Group, it's Russian intelligence, and they're using this as a place to get information into circulation.

"That's what happened here. It included the Discord channel around Minecraft, it included others of these [communities]."

Smith added that he believes this is "not the No.1 thing we should worry about" because such groups "are gonna publish information somewhere."

"It just happens [games communities are] a good place for them to get the information into circulation, and ultimately journalists find it," he said.

The leaked Pentagon documents reportedly revealed information regarding the Ukraine war, and the current suspect is believed to be a young gun enthusiast who was part of a games group on Discord.

45y0tco.jpg

Comrade Phil?

Elysion

Banned
The scale and breadth of these recent intelligence leaks, which reportedly include the names of CIA agents in Russia, makes it highly implausible that this is the result of a bunch of gamers arguing on a Discord server or whatever.

I also find it highly unlikely that the Russians managed to infiltrate the Pentagon or CIA to such an extent. My theory is that pro-Netanyahu assets within the US intelligence apparatus are behind these leaks, as retaliation for the US working with anti-Netanyahu elements in Israel to overthrow his government. Israel is the only country that has the necessary penetration within the US intelligence and security apparatus to get access to these kind of top secret documents imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom