• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Black Clover Episode 2:

Well then, a it turns out Asta has an even mote annoying voice as a child, that is a feat and accomplishment in sucking. Also, yea, I am quite done with this series as beyond the horrible voice direction there is nothing here that feels fresh or even particularly well executed. May this series fall flat on its face, fail and sink into oblivion like it should.

Taruranto

New Garo 1

zaqOrNM.jpg

Disturbing.

OK episode, Nero from 91Days aged fine.

Chase17

Black Clover 02
There's really no reason for them to not just have all of chapter 1 in episode 1. We have a three minute recap. Then most of the episode is a flashback to set up a scene that has already been intermittently cut to during the previous episode/this recap that I think everyone understood the gist off. The fight itself looks nice, but it is just one hit. Really should have done this all in one go.

DLxixPhXkAEkXPM.jpg

And thus, the pinnacle of shonen rivalry was born

It appears that the next episode is going to be full on Asta and Yuno traveling, where in the manga chapter 2 jumps six months right to their destination. I knew I should have been worried when Yuno was all over the op/ed lol. Guess I'll have to wait until episode 4-5 to get to some of the more fun characters.

I like the OP and ED songs.

Thud

Black Clover Episode 2:

Well then, a it turns out Asta has an even mote annoying voice as a child, that is a feat and accomplishment in sucking. Also, yea, I am quite done with this series as beyond the horrible voice direction there is nothing here that feels fresh or even particularly well executed. May this series fall flat on its face, fail and sink into oblivion like it should.

Not likely. It will sell more manga copies like it was supposed to do.

mankoto

Black Clover - 02
I'm all for elongating scenes to make them more fleshed out. However, giving that flashback 10 minutes is a bit excessive. The funny thing is, they showed what they needed to show in the beginning of the episode itself...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I started reading the Black Clover manga after watching the first episode. Almost caught up with the Shonen Jump releases.

The property does nothing new, stupendous, or ground breaking. In fact it is very generic, to a degree that it seems obvious that there is a lot of inspiration taken from other manga. But I still like it. The best analogy would be that Black Clover is like fast food, but like all the items you like from fast food places put together on a menu. Sometimes you don't feel like having a sit down dinner and sometimes you have a hankering for fast food.

Based on what you guys are saying they did for Black Clover episode 2 though..... baby what is you doing? They seriously gave THAT flashback 10 minutes? It should have been in the first episode.

DNAbro

Black Clover 2

All that build up for a single damn swing.

This still isn't good. I read the first few chapters and they decided to slow down the pacing by a lot. That whole entire long ass flashback didn't really make that swing feel any better. I really can't see what this show is supposed to offer because so far it sure isn't good action.

Some Nobody

Black Clover Episode 2:

Nah, hold this L. Though it does sound like this adaptation is going to needlessly drag things out with filler no one asked for. Wish they'd do that later.

I just want them to stop calling this the new king of shonen.

lol. Who the hell's doing this, though. New King of Shonen is obviously Boku no Hero.

This is Fairy Tail with a much more militaristic bent, and while I love Fairy Tail, it was never king of shonen.

Ascheroth

Nah, hold this L. Though it does sound like this adaptation is going to needlessly drag things out with filler no one asked for. Wish they'd do that later.

lol. Who the hell's doing this, though. New King of Shonen is obviously Boku no Hero.

This is Fairy Tail with a much more militaristic bent, and while I love Fairy Tail, it was never king of shonen.
S5cC0Sm.jpg

Thud

I started reading the Black Clover manga after watching the first episode. Almost caught up with the Shonen Jump releases.

The property does nothing new, stupendous, or ground breaking. In fact it is very generic, to a degree that it seems obvious that there is a lot of inspiration taken from other manga. But I still like it. The best analogy would be that Black Clover is like fast food, but like all the items you like from fast food places put together on a menu. Sometimes you don't feel like having a sit down dinner and sometimes you have a hankering for fast food.

Based on what you guys are saying they did for Black Clover episode 2 though..... baby what is you doing? They seriously gave THAT flashback 10 minutes? It should have been in the first episode.

It's cookiecutter battle manga with a bit of adventure mixed in. However it's an enjoyable read. Easy to compare it to naruto, fairy tail and early magi.

While it does nothing new, it still feel fresh.

I have no intention of watching the anime, because most of these adaptions are not worth it to go through to because they wreck the pacing.

I just want them to stop calling this the new king of shonen.

That's on CR and maybe other websiter. I would say it was never anything remotely like that. Like the whole big three thing lol.

It's cookiecutter battle manga with a bit of adventure mixed in. However it's an enjoyable read. Easy to compare it to naruto, fairy tail and early magi.

While it does nothing new, it still feel fresh.

I have no intention of watching the anime, because most of these adaptions are not worth it to go through to because they wreck the pacing.

That's on CR and maybe other websiter. I would say it was never anything remotely like that. Like the whole big three thing lol.

Sales Strength volume wise for Jump Black Clover is.....only the 9th best selling for current running Jump series for new volumes(Behind OP, HxH (when not on Hiatus), Haikyu, Promised Neverland, Souma, Hero Academia, Gintama and World Trigger (Assuming the Hiatus hasn't killed it's selling power)). Shueisha may be/been trying to push BC as the next big thing, but sales have never really appeared.

Chase17

I don't believe the Black Clover OP teases anything beyond chapter

While that is not a rule to go by or anything, hopefully it is not indicative of the series pacing, as one of the aspects that helps the manga the most is that it moves along pretty fast. Or instead of pacing perhaps it is just since they will be adding in a lot of new asta/yuno scenes or something (like next episode appears to be).

Trojita

While that is not a rule to go by or anything, hopefully it is not indicative of the series pacing, since one of the aspects that helps the manga the most is that it moves along pretty fast.

Someone mentioned they might be adapting the 6 month time skip from right after they get their grimoires lol.

mankoto

Yeah that's my problem with the current state of Black Clover as well. The manga goes through villains like nobodies business. The first big fight doesn't even come along until chapter 15 or so, so one would think they'd end the season with the ending of that fight. But I'm not even sure if they'll make to that at this rate if Wikipedia's 13 episode listing is accurate.

kewlmyc

Yeah that's my problem with the current state of Black Clover as well. The manga goes through villains like nobodies business. The first big fight doesn't even come along until chapter 15 or so, so one would think they'd end the season with the ending of that fight. But I'm not even sure if they'll make to that at this rate if Wikipedia's 13 episode listing is accurate.

I thought they were going the long running shounen route with this series and never taking breaks.

mankoto

I thought they were going the long running shounen route with this series and never taking breaks.
Are they? Wikipedia lists 13 episodes but MAL doesn't have a number. If they're going the long game then adding filler sort of makes sense because of fast the beginning of the manga is. Although that doesn't necessarily make it okay.

Moaradin

While that is not a rule to go by or anything, hopefully it is not indicative of the series pacing, as one of the aspects that helps the manga the most is that it moves along pretty fast. Or instead of pacing perhaps it is just since they will be adding in a lot of new asta/yuno scenes or something (like next episode appears to be).

Studio Pierrot managed to get 50 episodes out of Twin Star Exorcist (which had like 30 chapters at the time) so I wouldn't put anything past them lol

Are they? Wikipedia lists 13 episodes but MAL doesn't have a number. If they're going the long game then adding filler sort of makes sense because of fast the beginning of the manga is. Although that doesn't necessarily make it okay.

Some streaming site listed 13 episodes, but in the prime-time TV Tokyo timeslot Black Clover airs on it’s far more likely that it’ll actually air for at least a year.

How tho? filler hell?

Well they could adapt the LN which the manga likes to act like you read....by putting fucking characters from the LN into the manga as important plot points! So if you couldn't read the LN, well here are 3 characters somewhat important to the plot that everyone acts like they know but you have no fucking clue who or what the fuck they are or did. I'm generally neutral towards BC due to how sterile and cookie cutter it is; never taking any risks but never having any real pitfalls due to it never attempting to be more then acceptable. But the whole LN bullshit actually makes me feel something towards BC, just not a positive feeling that's for sure. So for anime only viewers what I'm saying is, fuck Light Novels right!?

kewlmyc

How tho? filler hell?

Well, if episode two is any indication, it'll have pretty slow pacing, adding additional content to scenes in the manga (whether it needs it or not), and yes filler.

Twin Star Exorcists is a good example. Large parts of that show aren't in the manga at all. It turned out pretty good regardless from what I hear.

Also as Paper mentions, there's a LN they could adapt as well if need be. That might actually be for the best to flesh out characters that just appear randomly if you're not familiar with the LN.

Trojita

Well they could adapt the LN which the manga likes to act like you read....by putting fucking characters from the LN into the manga as important plot points! So if you couldn't read the LN, well here are 3 characters somewhat important to the plot that everyone acts like they know but you have no fucking clue who or what the fuck they are or did. I'm generally neutral towards BC due to how sterile and cookie cutter it is; never taking any risks but never having any real pitfalls due to it never attempting to be more then acceptable. But the whole LN bullshit actually makes me feel something towards BC, just not a positive feeling that's for sure. So for anime only viewers what I'm saying is, fuck Light Novels right!?

I just finished this part in the manga and was like "Who the fuck are these people?". They weren't even a cute callback or connection with the LN of a background character. They were main players in the arc.

The Ancient Magus' Bride - 01

That was alright, which isn't exactly a good first impression when you'd hope the opening episode offers something outstanding in some regard at least. The houses' interior design and backgrounds were the one thing that somewhat caught my attention.

ofOC693.jpg

Could've done without funny faces. Didn't seem appropriate for the tone the show seemed to go for at first.

The relationship between Chise and that Magus seems troublesome with the power dynamics and ages at play (as I have to assume that this mage dude is rather old as of right now) but if it's portrayed properly, instead of some bland romanticization, that could be interesting to follow, actually.

Juuni Taisen 02

Episode is called "Tricks Both Mongrel and Fowl" and the next is "Cutting a Chicken with a Beef Cleaver"

Is there an AOTY category for best episode names?

Thud

Dragon Ball Super 109

Sasuga Jiren.

Dragon Ball Super 110

Even a Toriyama handjob is only temporary. Also I don't like it at all. I like looking at it, but it's not a state that suits goku.

Calm, collected and cold at first. Then raging like wildfire. Visuals go from stunning scenes to half finished frames. Of course there's still the shock waves that they insert every episode.

Kinda sad this is about the best they can do with super in its current format. They hyped the shit outta it with the effects and the music tho.

I'm excited for Hit vs Jiren. Finally the battle of two mediocre looking aliens that are actually the strongest of their universe. Now that's humor.

Gundam SEED Destiny - 23

AW YEAH BASED KIRA YAMATO WRECKIN’ FOOLS’ MECHS WHILE BUSTIN’ OUT THE TM REVOLUTION.

lmao the dude with the Gouf only lasted two episodes.

Top Bottom