• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

DNAbro

Black Clover 3

This episode oddly wasn't that bad but man does this show get worse every time Asta opens his goddamn mouth. His screaming and his gags consistently the worst and most annoying parts of this show. idk maybe I'll continue watching since I've usually been watching while eating breakfast.

Kickz

Imaishi worked on this show didn't he?

If you mean Imaishi Hiroyuki, then yea he did some key animation for Medarot

tumblr_miqyy3APrh1rh9jdmo4_r1_400.gif

pbayne

Berserk shouldn't get any more chances. It had a hit and two mis-fires(well the movies wernt too bad tbf) but that's still more than most get.

Gintama 331

Ginty kind of sucks.

Osomatsu S2 3

Everyone has that one friend/family member that's like that lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Black Clover 3

This episode oddly wasn't that bad but man does this show get worse every time Asta opens his goddamn mouth. His screaming and his gags consistently the worst and most annoying parts of this show. idk maybe I'll continue watching since I've usually been watching while eating breakfast.

I feel no regrets in dropping Black Clover like a stone.

I feel no regrets in dropping Black Clover like a stone.

It's probably for the best, as someone who has always been less enamored than the more vocal fans, it takes a while for it to get out from under Naruto's shadow, find its own voice, and then eventually starts to trim/condense character moments in favor of chaining bad ass moment after bad ass moment, which, I mean, is great if all you want is endless action, but if you want to grow attached to characters it kinda sucks. They also start to shunt stories and characters off to Light Novels and then reference them without reintroductions as if it's a marvel comic series that requires purchasing all the tie-ins to truly appreciate.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh no, Just Because! is done by the Gamers! studio and they are having issues? Fuck, I was hoping the studio that did that would go on to greater success.

Jarmel

Banned
Welcome to the Ballroom-15
How the fuck did he not already know this? Sengoku is an atrocious instructor. Tatara has been entering actual competitions and he had no clue he was the one being graded? This is embarrasingly stupid.

Also the character models were off for almost the entire episode. Production schedule might be starting to fall apart a bit.

Children of the Whale - 02 or Blushing Children

That council is pretty lenient with the punishment for Ouni and co., huh? They just take their word for granted and later don't even want to hear Lykos' warning either because of reasons. Not quite the most competent bunch but then they might be thickheaded, old fools I suppose.

The fact that the Council of Elders sent out their own secret scouting party indicates that they have some inkling of what's going on. Their motivations and goals are unclear at this point, but I'm not sure they're incompetent so much as pursuing their own agenda.

Oh I'm not denying that the author might have a questionable interest in young children, but the way the anime has adjusted things I think removes that for most viewers, especially those who are entirely unfamiliar with the original work or the author himself.

I don't know that I'd agree torturing the characters here, even if they are children, speaks to any kind of perverted interest (and I'm going entirely based off the anime here.) I think that's just part of the harrowing, upsetting atmosphere the entire series' wallows in.

Physical torture of children is something that has long been a part of lolicon media, from Enix's Lolicon Complex to Nippon Ichi's Criminal Girls. By setting up the world of Made in Abyss the way he did, the author has given himself plenty of opportunities to indulge in this. That the most popular form of child discipline in this world, as seen both in the orphanage and in Ozen's Seeker Camp, is stringing them up naked, speaks to the intertwined nature of physical torture and sexual interest.

Now I do feel there is artistic merit in the portrayal of Made in Abyss, and the anime in particular emphasizes empathy and humanity with the sufferers in a way that lends it genuine pathos. Nevertheless, I do wish the anime had gone even farther in toning down the manga's distasteful aspects, by, for instance, removing all mentions of being strung up naked and all the gratuitous removing of Riko's clothes.

DNAbro

Osomatsu S2 3

Great episode. The awkward time with people you hang out with in a group but get a certain person alone and you don't know how to talk to them is relatable.

Also Crunchyroll was completely bugging on me for this episode. I think I was getting subs for a completely different show at the start and then the subs kept disappearing in the middle of the episode. Weird.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Welcome to the Ballroom-15
Also the character models were off for almost the entire episode. Production schedule might be starting to fall apart a bit.
Yeah, it was pretty distracting. The character art kind of carries the show for me, so when it starts to falter it's just like....why is this even an anime? There was still some cool stuff with this guy though:

Physical torture of children is something that has long been a part of lolicon media, from Enix's Lolicon Complex to Nippon Ichi's Criminal Girls. By setting up the world of Made in Abyss the way he did, the author has given himself plenty of opportunities to indulge in this. That the most popular form of child discipline in this world, as seen both in the orphanage and in Ozen's Seeker Camp, is stringing them up naked, speaks to the intertwined nature of physical torture and sexual interest.

Now I do feel there is artistic merit in the portrayal of Made in Abyss, and the anime in particular emphasizes empathy and humanity with the sufferers in a way that lends it genuine pathos. Nevertheless, I do wish the anime had gone even farther in toning down the manga's distasteful aspects, by, for instance, removing all mentions of being strung up naked and all the gratuitous removing of Riko's clothes.

Again though, while that may be true (as I have little familiarity with loli-con entertainment outside of knowing it exists and vague awareness of titles like Criminal Girls) I think without being made aware of loli-con media, or the author's proclivities toward such depiction and material, the way the anime is now it's divorced from that reading. I don't doubt that, with what the anime left in, manga readers and those familiar with loli-con material would see those scenes more so as uncomfortable, but I really do think, divorced from that, what's here doesn't necessarily have nearly as sinister and sickening a reading.

I think the physical torture is minor and more easily speaks, to those unfamiliar with loli-con tropes, as simply the medieval torture like nature of the setting and Riku being, well, a young girl unaware of sexual implications.

This all said, if the anime had done what you suggested, of toning things down entirely, I wouldn't have an issue with that either. I don't think it's content required to get the best out of Made in Abyss, i just disagree with whether it really drags things down or not for a more casual audience.

Oh I'm not denying that the author might have a questionable interest in young children, but the way the anime has adjusted things I think removes that for most viewers, especially those who are entirely unfamiliar with the original work or the author himself.

I don't know that I'd agree torturing the characters here, even if they are children, speaks to any kind of perverted interest (and I'm going entirely based off the anime here.) I think that's just part of the harrowing, upsetting atmosphere the entire series' wallows in.

Hell no. I don't think I've seen a show before that tried so hard to needlessly talk about a young boys penis so often when it was even almost entirely irrelevant to the story. Even if you were to argue that Riko and Reg might have several embarrassing run-ins, should those be actually relevant and be shown?

Scenes aren't thrown in randomly, they're supposed to serve a purpose. And at some point, you have to wonder if you haven't heard enough about Reg's dick or whether some half-nude shot of Riko was necessary, yet again.

Episode 13 shows some of vilest shit I've seen kids forced through in fiction. It follows that up with a heartbreaking death scene for one of those kids. And...not much later we this:

Because what else is more appropriate after enduring all that than talking about some young boy's erection!

It takes a special kind of perversion to put this in an episode with very detailed, horrifying children torture. And it really is so damn detailed that it's difficult to call it anything but gratuitous at some point. It helps tremendously that the episode was very well directed, but the actual content still feels like the author almost revels in coming up with some fucked up shit. If that weren't questionable enough, he contrasts that with his pedo shit every now and then. Great.

Honestly, if all that doesn't bother you. Fine. If you don't even see how even the average viewer could be bothered by any of this, then you're way deep into this stuff.

Hell no. I don't think I've seen a show before that tried so hard to needlessly talk about a young boys penis so often when it was even almost entirely irrelevant to the story. Even if you were to argue that Riko and Reg might have several embarrassing run-ins, should those be actually relevant and be shown?

Scenes aren't thrown in randomly, they're supposed to serve a purpose. And at some point, you have to wonder if you haven't heard enough about Reg's dick or whether some half-nude shot of Riko was necessary, yet again.

Episode 13 shows some of vilest shit I've seen kids forced through in fiction. It follows that up with a heartbreaking death scene for one of those kids. And...not much later we this:

Because what else is more appropriate after enduring all that than talking about some young boy's erection!

It takes a special kind of perversion to put this in an episode with very detailed, horrifying children torture. And it really is so damn detailed that it's difficult to call it anything but gratuitous at some point. It helps tremendously that the episode was very well directed, but the actual content still feels like the author almost revels in coming up with some fucked up shit. If that weren't questionable enough, he contrasts that with his pedo shit every now and then. Great.

Honestly, if all that doesn't bother you. Fine. If you don't even see how even the average viewer could be bothered by any of this, then you're way deep into this stuff.

I think this in uncalled for, but okay, fuck you too.

My thing is, this humor doesn't translate for me as much beyond Dragon Ball levels of humor. If you have a problem that's fine but accusing me of being 'too deep in' is unfair.

duckroll

Again though, while that may be true (as I have little familiarity with loli-con entertainment outside of knowing it exists and vague awareness of titles like Criminal Girls) I think without being made aware of loli-con media, or the author's proclivities toward such depiction and material, the way the anime is now it's divorced from that reading. I don't doubt that, with what the anime left in, manga readers and those familiar with loli-con material would see those scenes more so as uncomfortable, but I really do think, divorced from that, what's here doesn't necessarily have nearly as sinister and sickening a reading.

I disagree. I think even if we ignore all preconceptions, it's impossible not to see that the way the anime is directed, that there remains a sort of weird voyeuristic feel to the cruelty in the show. It's depicted in such detail at times that makes you wonder "why" when contrasted with the character designs. There are also "innocent" scenes that mention casual things here and there which make you wonder "why is this even written like this, weird..." even if it doesn't have an obvious sinister tone. This all adds up at the end of the series to create a rather unsettling icky feeling.

I disagree. I think even if we ignore all preconceptions, it's impossible not to see that the way the anime is directed, that there remains a sort of weird voyeuristic feel to the cruelty in the show. It's depicted in such detail at times that makes you wonder "why" when contrasted with the character designs. There are also "innocent" scenes that mention casual things here and there which make you wonder "why is this even written like this, weird..." even if it doesn't have an obvious sinister tone. This all adds up at the end of the series to create a rather unsettling icky feeling.

Well, I mean, I disagree, but that's a fair take I think. At the end of the day it's not going to stop me from considering it for AOTY.

Three Leaves, Three Colors Episode 1

This just went up on CrunchyRoll recently, so it was nice to have while I was stuffing my face with chicken fajitas.

We have three characters, a lonely rich girl who is no longer rich and eats bread crusts. A girl who essentially only eats bread, and a student rep who is a lot meaner than she looks (she made someone cry off screen). Oh and a former servant who brings the rich girl food that's about to expire.

Our lonely rich girl seems to be the primary protagonist of the three since she has the most nothing out of everyone, and ultimately struggles with her newfound peasentry, and her old life.

Of course, from the thumbnails, there are more characters to come in this show

duckroll

Mary and the Witch's Flower

This is really disappointing and overall a mehtastic experience. For the pedigree involved I expected so much more, but it's a very inconsistent production with disappointingly static character animation for the most part, lacking the flair of a real ANIME movie. The art and backgrounds are on point, but beyond that it doesn't carry itself well. The big scenes are almost pure Ghibli at times with kickass animation, but they only further contrast with the rest of the film to expose the weaknesses that are there.

Storywise there's nothing to write home about, the direction is mundane, and honestly it's a short film that feels ways too long. Almost like a TV episode of something stretched to feature length. I was pretty bored in the middle too.

Would not recommend.

Mary and the Witch's Flower

This is really disappointing and overall a mehtastic experience. For the pedigree involved I expected so much more, but it's a very inconsistent production with disappointingly static character animation for the most part, lacking the flair of a real ANIME movie. The art and backgrounds are on point, but beyond that it doesn't carry itself well. The big scenes are almost pure Ghibli at times with kickass animation, but they only further contrast with the rest of the film to expose the weaknesses that are there.

Storywise there's nothing to write home about, the direction is mundane, and honestly it's a short film that feels ways too long. Almost like a TV episode of something stretched to feature length. I was pretty bored in the middle too.

Would not recommend.

This is disheartening to hear as someone who completely adored Yonebayashi's previous film at Ghibli, When Marnie Was There, and who thought the trailers for this film looked amazing. If all the good footage was in the trailers and the rest of the film looks bland, that was some painfully misleading marketing. I will still watch this film when I am able however, because of my love for Marnie.

duckroll

This is disheartening to hear as someone who completely adored Yonebayashi's previous film at Ghibli, When Marnie Was There, and who thought the trailers for this film looked amazing. If all the good footage was in the trailers and the rest of the film looks bland, that was some painfully misleading marketing. I will still watch this film when I am able however, because of my love for Marnie.

Well from this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm0YYNgNr7A

Almost all the animation is from the big scenes. If you look at the character scenes which aren't big action pieces, you'll notice her hair and clothing barely animates at all, those scenes are representative of what most of the film looks like outside of the set pieces with AAA animation.

I think this in uncalled for, but okay, fuck you too.

My thing is, this humor doesn't translate for me as much beyond Dragon Ball levels of humor. If you have a problem that's fine but accusing me of being 'too deep in' is unfair.

I don't understand how you could possibly compare the tone in DB to the one in Made in Abyss and even if you feel the humor is essentially the same, there is a huge difference of how it fits into each story at large.

You've been asking people what they could see wrong in Made in Abyss several times by now and you were given ample explanations each time. If at this point you still cannot even see this point of view, then yes, in my opinion, that's 'too deep in'. Dunno how I should sugarcoat that. That's just my opinion anyway and that doesn't count as Nintendoman would gladly tell you.

I don't understand how you could possibly compare the tone in DB to the one in Made in Abyss and even if you feel the humor is essentially the same, there is a huge difference of how it fits into each story at large.

You've been asking people what they could see wrong in Made in Abyss several times by now and you were given ample explanations each time. If at this point you still cannot even see this point of view, then yes, in my opinion, that's 'too deep in'. Dunno how I should sugarcoat that. That's just my opinion anyway and that doesn't count as Nintendoman would gladly tell you.

Because I feel like, for one that final scene in the bath speaks more to childhood innocence than some sick need to see the kids naked. I think the purpose of the scene is to say, despite the horrors they go through, they're still just kids, with the same oblivious curiosity.

I understand the POV that sees it as uncomfortable, and I understand that's yours and several other members read on those scenes, but what I'm saying is I think there's a much more innocent way to read them that more general audiences are likely to see first. Should the content not be mentioned in a review of the series? No, of course it should be mentioned when recommending it, you never know who's going to take what whatever way. But I don't think that read that these scenes are sick perversion, is the most prevalent one and what those scenes ultimately do for the story.

But hey, it's clear what you think of my position, so maybe we shouldn't discuss this again, as I don't care to have accusations of that kind thrown my way.

sasuke_91

That stuff is the only reason I can't recommend Made in Abyss to anyone. I liked it, but whenever a scene like that came up I was like "why...?". The heavy stuff I didn't mind, but then you ask yourself again "why go with a character design like that?".
Made in Abyss is AotS with a big question mark for me.

duckroll

I really don't see how anyone can make any argument that this is an innocent show about children being children given the fact that ep10 and the first half of ep13 exists. I will have to agree that if you don't notice the troubling underlying tone in the entire series confirmed by those episodes, there's nothing to say but... in too deep. It's not even an insult, just an observation.

Some of the stuff I hear is done to children in Made in Abyss sounds like it would make me legit uncomfortable and I honestly would prefer to not watch it in that regard.

That's just my opinion anyway and that doesn't count as Nintendoman would gladly tell you.

Wow, tell us how you really feel.

Juni Taisen 03

So Monkey must have some kind of subtle persuasion power that people don't even notice they are under the influence of.

The "Unit 02 being eaten by MP Evas" bird death was really brutal

Line_HTX

Just finished Soma 3rd Plate 03 on TV, and I'm hearing Erina's replacement seiyu for the first time. I think she captured the voice well enough. I believe she was also Karen Tendou in Gamers.

I really don't see how anyone can make any argument that this is an innocent show about children being children given the fact that ep10 and the first half of ep13 exists. I will have to agree that if you don't notice the troubling underlying tone in the entire series confirmed by those episodes, there's nothing to say but... in too deep. It's not even an insult, just an observation.

What I meant was that despite the fact that they’ve been through hell theyre still children at heart is how I see that singular scene.

Houseki no Kuni 02

Phos' faces give me life. That said I love seeing the more unique looking uhh...stones? Like how different Bort looks compared to the others. I enjoyed how Diamond has her own struggles with being one of the top class stones due to her hardness and skill level but then when you compare her against Bort who is also a diamond.(Sidenote: I totally didn't know bort diamonds were a thing) In contrast Phos' struggle seems pretty minor in comparison since Diamond is supposed to be one of the top level protectors or her people yet doesn't seem to hold a candle to Bort.

Really tells you a lot in how the rest of them view Bort when they blew off the enemy floating right over their base because Bort was on the way. Oh and can I say how much I loved Bort's design? I loved how her 'hair' isn't just for show and she uses it as a weapon as well.

Three Leaves, Three Colors Episode 1

This just went up on CrunchyRoll recently, so it was nice to have while I was stuffing my face with chicken fajitas.

We have three characters, a lonely rich girl who is no longer rich and eats bread crusts. A girl who essentially only eats bread, and a student rep who is a lot meaner than she looks (she made someone cry off screen). Oh and a former servant who brings the rich girl food that's about to expire.

Our lonely rich girl seems to be the primary protagonist of the three since she has the most nothing out of everyone, and ultimately struggles with her newfound peasentry, and her old life.

Of course, from the thumbnails, there are more characters to come in this show
Im sorry but enough is enough with Anime.

Neither of those three is a fucking leaf.

TUSR

Banned
Made in Abyss

Valdfellgar

You should check out what Akihito Tsukushi has drawn in addition to the manga chapters before you claim there is some semblance of innocence to his work.

Made in Abyss

Valdfellgar

You should check out what Akihito Tsukushi has drawn in addition to the manga chapters before you claim there is some semblance of innocence to his work.

I already fully admitted when it comes to the manga, and the author, it's likely not all that innocent. I'm talking, specifically, about the way the anime has presented the content.

Also despite 'being too deep' I'm really not that interested in reading the rest of his work if it is so steeped in lolicon pandering.

casiopao

Blame!
Kuromukuro
ID-0

I don't think Blame is space opera right?

To complete the Leijiverse,after Harlock and Yamato watch Galaxy Express 999 and Queen Millenia too. Especially GE999 is as epic as LOTGH.

Watch also Orguss. I consider it better than Macross. In order to complete Robotech,watch Southern Cross and Mospeada too.

My favorite though is Spaceship Sagittarius

Havent watched Captain Future,but it is another classic,based on a Western novel

I really need to check Galaxy Express one day there. Queen Millenia is a new one for me?O_O

Noted lol. Never heard of this title like at all.

Tenamonya Voyagers and Space Adventure Cobra.

Lol. I forget to list Cobra there.^_^ Too many anime lol.

Narag

Guys any scifi/space opera anime recommendation?

I have watched:
LoGH
Crest and Banner of Stars
Gundam
Macross
Uchuu Senkan Yamato
Tytania
Kidou Senkan Nadesico
Toward the Terra
Ideon
Dunbine
Knights of Sidonia
Captain Harlock

Any other great one i have missed?

Where's Glaas Fleet??

I'm stuck at work ATM so someone post scene of wagon for me instead.

Top Bottom