• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche: "Microtransactions and subscriptions will be the next-gen of games"

HariKari

Won't be buying games with microtransactions then. It's that simple.

F2P does have bad games, but also great games like War Thunder. Some companies do it better than others. Something that, funnily enough, makes your game more worth paying for. What a twist!

Drona

Banned
The only DLC i ever purchased was the BF2 packs (actual DLC by the way), ever since then i just ignore or overlook DLC stuff. Its a nasty practice that MUST be causing further rifting between devs and publishers. You dont want suits telling you how to make your product, and now we have suits telling them JUST HOW MUCH of your product you should have available at starting price and what you should leave for MICROTRANSANCTIONS .

THIS IS SOME MORE BULLSHIT!!! that I wont be buying into :)
No love lost in regards to Avalanche whatever games.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Because that never happened before with other DLC...

Also, this doesn't sound manipulative... like at all (right?):

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/19/capitalism-ho-this-is-nintendos-first-free-to-play-game-on-3ds/

And yet they are there and with some gameplay modifications.

I think that has more to do with "Online scares me" than actuall unwillingness.

nintendo is publishing the game, not making it, why you continue to bring up this point is beyond me

Desty

Banned
More subscriptions and more microtransactions?

wilsonofu2s.gif

Tabris

I honestly think this will be a DRM situation where they are pushing gamers too much and the negative backlash will be enough for them to do a 180. Keep on fighting the good fight NeoGAF as this is bullshit.

Eric_S

Plenty of good things have already been said regarding why this need not be, and the good alternatives.

But what I would like to add is simply this, why doesn't monetization crop up more often in game reviews? Surely this is a rather central part of what makes the cost benefit equation tick in the end? Or is the press truly so corrupt, so that they could not be trusted to handle such a responsibility?

GamerSoul

I think they're trying to emulate what we already see a lot of in Google Play/iOS apps (dat Candy Crush) but on a larger scale. It could be a part of just moving towards all digital services. I hope not.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm done with Avalanche if they try to push this crap down my throat whenever Just Cause 3 is finally made.

The studio should distance itself from this guy's comments if you ask me.

Darryl

Banned
I think its pretty inevitable

I think as games move away from physical and go to digital, the race down to the bottom once consumers realize they have options is going to inevitably drive this to the forefront. It's just kinda sad. I like the current model.

Skip Avalanche. Get Mario 3D World. No DLC, no micro-transactions. GOTY contender.

You guys have options. Put your money behind your words, and it will make a difference.

I doubt boycotting will make a difference. Even if some people are aware of mircotransactions, there will still be those who buy the game without knowing about them, or people willing to put up with it despite disliking the concept.

I will never spend money on microtransactions and I will recommend no one else does the same. It hurts the games, terribly.
Just resolving to never spend money on microtransactions won't do anything if you're still buying the game. Even if most players never spend a dime on microtransactions the publisher only has to hook a handful of whales to make the whole thing worthwhile.

I honestly think this will be a DRM situation where they are pushing gamers too much and the negative backlash will be enough for them to do a 180. Keep on fighting the good fight NeoGAF as this is bullshit.

Yet people let these companies get away with charging for online.

I'm not supporting any game with excessive microtransactions, always online and subscriptions, etc. I'll pass. This industry is getting ridiculous. Honestly, it's reasons like this why I am so skeptical about next generation. I predicted several times that the greed will be at an all time high next generation and I am sticking to that. Ryse and Forza are only the beginning.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
He had a bit of a followup in a Gamespot article:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gr...ss-says-about-microtransactions/1100-6416424/

Gamespot said:
On the subject of microtransactions and game subscriptions, Christofer Sundberg, founder of Just Cause developer Avalanche Studios, believes that "greed never works."

"We'll never compromise on quality or sell our souls for a quick buck," Sundberg said on Twitter. "Things are changing and we need to adapt."

Sundberg recently declared that microtransactions, subscriptions, and new business models will define the next generation of gaming.

This period of change will yield examples good and bad, Sundberg said, and pointed out that if there is a "solution," he has yet to find it.

"There will be some really bad examples for sure and some really good ones," he said. "I don't have a perfect solution... yet. :)"

Sundberg and Avalanche Studios are no stranger to free-to-play games. Avalanche co-developed free-to-play hunting game The Hunter, which allows players to hunt one species for free, but then must pay for licenses to hunt other animals.

these idiots dont realize that we created them and we can just as easily destroy them and jump ship to indies and PC
didnt they learn from the NoDRM twitter campaign that were done putting up with this shit

Top Bottom