• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar’ Starts Production Today; $1 Billion Budget

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It has been long in the planning but James Cameron officially began production today in Manhattan Beach on the four Avatar sequels he is shooting in succession. No one is saying when Cameron will complete the unprecedented feat of shooting a quartet of blockbuster budget 3-D films in sequence. It is not only unprecedented in number — Peter Jackson shot three of The Lord of the Rings installments together — it will also be the most expensive shoot of its kind, at an estimated collective budget expected to surpass $1 billion.

It begins.

giphy.gif

http://deadline.com/2017/09/avatar-...secutive-sequels-1-billion-budget-1202176798/

orochi91

I'd trust him with that cash.

This dude is basically guaranteed gold~~~

Besides, ~$1 billion for 4 major movies seems reasonable.

mortal

Gold Member
James Cameron is pretty much the only director studios would trust to handle that much money.

Holy cow, that's a lot of coin.

Caeron quote from a while back.

It’s not back-to-back. It’s really all one big production. It’s more the way you would shoot a miniseries. So we’ll be shooting across all [Avatar scripts] simultaneously. So Monday I might be doing a scene from Movie Four, and Tuesday I’m doing a scene from Movie One. … We’re working across, essentially, eight hours of story. It’s going to be a big challenge to keep it all fixed in our minds, exactly where we are, across that story arc at any given point. It’s going to be probably the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. I’m sure the actors will be challenged by that as well. It’s like, ‘No, no, no, no, this person hasn’t died yet, so you’re still in this phase of your life.’ It’s a saga.

He's a mad man.

I wonder if they're gonna try to gain better traction with things like toys and games this time around. It could help bring in more money to the studio, and help potentially drive public awareness of the films.

Because that's a lot of money to commit, four films or not.

Whilst the 'expected' budget makes sense for four films, it's kind of irksome that Deadline is pulling this number out of their ass for a headline that other shittier rags will now trumpet all day.

These are the amusement park equivalent of movies. I for one like the idea of a movie that's there to push numbers. It just makes you feel like a kid to think about someone wanting to make the tallest and fastest roller coaster.

What a gargantuan waste of money.

I know I'm just responding to troll bait but everyone knows you and pretty much every other human is going to watch every film James Cameron directs.

And Cameron will always be much better than all the hundreds of journeyman directors out there directing mediocre blockbusters these days.

Miles X

I know I'm just responding to troll bait but everyone knows you and pretty much every other human is going to watch every film James Cameron directs.

And Cameron will alwats be much better than all the hundreds of journeyman directors out there directing mediocre blockbusters these days.

I've not seen Avatar, won't be seeing the sequels. Looks utterly crap and got by on 3D momentum.

Whilst the 'expected' budget makes sense for four films, it's kind of irksome that Deadline is pulling this number out of their ass for a headline that other shittier rags will now trumpet all day.
Deadline's actual title is a little concise.

‘Avatar’ Starts Production Today On Four Consecutive Sequels At Over $1 Billion Budget

shira

I don't know how the fuck JC is writing Steven Lang back as the main antagonist, but I feel like the entire franchise hinges on whatever that is in the lore of Fern Gully

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Deadline's actual title is a little concise.

‘Avatar' Starts Production Today On Four Consecutive Sequels At Over $1 Billion Budget

Felt it was too long of a title, but if a mod would change it to the above for clarity, no problem.

Miles X

Single-handedly gave 3D its momentum, seems like the more accurate assessment.

They fed each other, for sure.

But can you really see such a medicore franchise making hit after hit??

I don't need to see it to know it's crap, the sheer amount of people that tell me from the acting to the writing that it's trash.

Xe4

Banned
I have no idea why Avatar, of all the dudes projects, is the one he came to obsess over. I'm sure they'll be at least decent and have cool CGI. Plus I'm glad he's following his passion. I doubt we'll ever see something on the level of the original in terms of box office performance though.

kevin1025

Banned
I imagine it will be costing a lot more than $1 billion when all is said and done.

But I will be super interested in whatever comes out of it!

NCSOFT

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

Not necessarily, I can see that working out knowing that the whole story line has already been constructed. It's bigger in overall scales but not really different from how most movies are made.

Xe4

Banned
Avatar was extremely successful at the box office.
I'd like to think Cameron cares a bit more about his movies than how they do at the box office. I think the poster was talking about why the director wanted to do it so badly. It's a puzzle to me too.

Maybe he really wants to make a completely realistic alien world with CGI in his movies or something? That was definitely the part of Avatar that seemed like it had the most love poured into it.

Top Bottom