• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora PC vs PS5 Graphics, Optimised Settings, FSR 3 Breakdown

S0ULZB0URNE

But they told us repeatedly that mesh shaders was a hardware unit only present in AMD GPUs since RDNA2. Finally it was just a Direct X API? What are we talking about here? Why are Mesh shaders not used in 2070 Nvidia GPUs? Why and how are Mesh shaders implemented on PS5 RDNA1 GPU? How mysterious everything is suddenly when it was so crystal clear in their propaganda articles a few months ago.
Propaganda is saying the PS5 GPU is RDNA 1. If anything... it's the only current gen GPU with RDNA 2 clocks.

dont try to argue, even if a similar hardware pc costs 2x, it will have maybe multiple times more benefit for people who are into it. they will never be able to understand that
even if you magically get a pc that costs same or less with same hardware, they'd then just move the goalpost to "comfort driver update crash tv" bla bla it never ends with them, they never discuss in good faith, don't even bother
Hey man haven’t been able to talk with you for a while been dealing with something how are things here has anything significant come to fruition?

yamaci17

Hey man haven’t been able to talk with you for a while been dealing with something how are things here has anything significant come to fruition?
well fsr 3 is now open source and people were able to somehow port it to existing dlss 3 games somehow
i tried it in cyberpunk it really works good as long as ur baseline is 50 fps. I want to see this feature being baseline going forward

might even sway me towards amd for appreciation next time I upgrade hardware. it really looks good for my standards

well fsr 3 is now open source and people were able to somehow port it to existing dlss 3 games somehow
i tried it in cyberpunk it really works good as long as ur baseline is 50 fps. I want to see this feature being baseline going forward

might even sway me towards amd for appreciation next time I upgrade hardware. it really looks good for my standards
Has there been any new tech or notable game comparisons I missed I saw I missed rift apart on pc and a couple others. How do you feel about the ps5 pro I’m excited for it as long as the cpu gets an upgrade

yamaci17

Has there been any new tech or notable game comparisons I missed I saw I missed rift apart on pc and a couple others. How do you feel about the ps5 pro I’m excited for it as long as the cpu gets an upgrade
it is clear cpu will stay similar, or only minor frequency upgrade similar to ps4 pro

you dont really want to give devs more power. they will just waste more instead. it is good to keep devs in check... especially when it comes to sloppy cpu coding.

i dont think u missed anything no idea, i also focused on my backlog and wasnt around here for a while and wont be for another while

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It would make sense the 2070s is equal /above the ps5 here since it’s an rt game and not a raster one
No such thing as an rt game on consoles. Only some parts of the rendering use RT. Most of it is still rasterized.

Last edited:
it is clear cpu will stay similar, or only minor frequency upgrade similar to ps4 pro

you dont really want to give devs more power. they will just waste more instead. it is good to keep devs in check... especially when it comes to sloppy cpu coding.

i dont think u missed anything no idea, i also focused on my backlog and wasnt around here for a while and wont be for another while
Tbf if they upgraded the cpu wouldn’t it primarily be for high framerates and not more complex game design

Zathalus

But they told us repeatedly that mesh shaders was a hardware unit only present in AMD GPUs since RDNA2. Finally it was just a Direct X API? What are we talking about here? Why are Mesh shaders not used in 2070 Nvidia GPUs? Why and how are Mesh shaders implemented on PS5 RDNA1 GPU? How mysterious everything is suddenly when it was so crystal clear in their propaganda articles a few months ago.

What article? I can't recall any recent article claiming the PS5 doesn't have mesh shaders? Or rather Primitive shaders, as that is the term Sony uses.
No article then? If they told us repeatedly then there should be quite the list to choose from.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
What article? I can't recall any recent article claiming the PS5 doesn't have mesh shaders? Or rather Primitive shaders, as that is the term Sony uses.

No article then? If they told us repeatedly then there should be quite the list to choose from.

I have the video stamped ~10seconds prior for context, but from 2:27, Alex lists VRS, Mesh Shading, Sampler Feedback, and Int-8 ML HW all as features that Series consoles have distinct from PS5 per Series advertising. There's at least one other occurrence where Alex claims Mesh shader/Series console exclusivity but I can't recall exact discussion at the moment.

Zathalus

I missed your previous post. They are telling us this since the release of those consoles. True RDNA2 features, VRS, mesh shaders and such. DF and others MS sanctified outlets.
Where? What article? The only thing I can recall DF said in any official capacity is that the PS5 doesn't have hardware VRS capability which is true, it doesn't.

There was quite a bit if speculation before the consoles were released but since the launch of both I cannot recall DF stating that the PS5 doesn't have mesh shading capability. I'm sure there are likely some minor differences but nothing that seems to cause any large performance impact, with the possible exception of Alan Wake 2, but that is a single data point so no point reading too much into it.

I have the video stamped ~10seconds prior for context, but from 2:27, Alex lists VRS, Mesh Shading, Sampler Feedback, and Int-8 ML HW all as features that Series consoles have distinct from PS5 per Series advertising. There's at least one other occurrence where Alex claims Mesh shader/Series console exclusivity but I can't recall exact discussion at the moment.

He makes a claim that Xbox has certain features (because they advertised it) but he doesn't make a single claim that the PS5 doesn't have it. At no point that he say 'PS5 doesn't have Mesh Shading'. Richard initially makes the statement 'feature set broadly common between consoles' and then Alex follows that up with 'through RDNA2 feature sets that are in those GPUs, Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X' and then continues to talk about the feature sets that Microsoft advertises.

shamoomoo

Where? What article? The only thing I can recall DF said in any official capacity is that the PS5 doesn't have hardware VRS capability which is true, it doesn't.

There was quite a bit if speculation before the consoles were released but since the launch of both I cannot recall DF stating that the PS5 doesn't have mesh shading capability. I'm sure there are likely some minor differences but nothing that seems to cause any large performance impact, with the possible exception of Alan Wake 2, but that is a single data point so no point reading too much into it.

He makes a claim that Xbox has certain features (because they advertised it) but he doesn't make a single claim that the PS5 doesn't have it. At no point that he say 'PS5 doesn't have Mesh Shading'. Richard initially makes the statement 'feature set broadly common between consoles' and then Alex follows that up with 'through RDNA2 feature sets that are in those GPUs, Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X' and then continues to talk about the feature sets that Microsoft advertises.

Nevermind I'm thinking of VRS.

Last edited:

Zathalus

-Richard Leadbetter basically insinuates mesh shading on the PS5 is only possible via MSAA trick,they never suggested it could be done by way of primitive shaders with Alex suggesting it was an older less efficient method.-

Nevermind I'm thinking of VRS.
It's a moot point anyway. I think it's pretty clear that hardware VRS is not really needed in the age of temporal and AI based upscalers like FSR and DLSS.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
He makes a claim that Xbox has certain features (because they advertised it) but he doesn't make a single claim that the PS5 doesn't have it.

Yeah this seems like a lot of interpretation gymnastics on your part. He is distinguishing the unique tech between the consoles. If Alex didn't believe those features were unique to series consoles/absent on PS5, he wouldn't have structured his statements as he did. Alex has no problem casting doubt on corporate tech claims he doesn't believe, such as when Sony announced accelerated RT for PS5.

Zathalus

Yeah this seems like a lot of interpretation gymnastics on your part. He is distinguishing the unique tech between the consoles. If Alex didn't believe those features were unique to series consoles/absent on PS5, he wouldn't have structured his statements as he did. Alex has no problem casting doubt on corporate tech claims he doesn't believe, such as when Sony announced accelerated RT for PS5.
I'm not the one interpreting anything. Neither Alex nor Richard make any claim that the PS5 is missing any particular feature set in that video. That is literally a fact. Any other meaning you are deriving from that is on you.

I'll ask again, where are these multiple articles that DF make the statement that the PS5 does not have a similar capability to mesh shaders?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm not the one interpreting anything. Neither Alex nor Richard make any claim that the PS5 is missing any particular feature set in that video. That is literally a fact. Any other meaning you are deriving from that is on you.

I'll ask again, where are these multiple articles that DF make the statement that the PS5 does not have a similar capability to mesh shaders?

Don't be unnecessarily weird. Alex has been on record numerous times buying into Microsoft's claims and using them as the basis of his perspective when he discusses platform comparisons on DF or elsewhere. This isn't anything new. His Resetera statement below is flat out embarrassing considering he presents himself as an objective tech expert of sorts. Not only does he contradict what you're saying, he goes as far as to state his belief in the infamous FUD of Series console being "Full RDNA2" and PS5 "half way" RDNA 2. He assumed raw teraflops and bandwidth are the most important factors and faster GPU of Series X would prove better than PS5 at onset (spoiler alert: he was dead wrong).

Ak1TG2l.jpg

Zathalus

Don't be unnecessarily weird. Alex has been on record numerous times buying into Microsoft's claims and using them as the basis of his perspective when he discusses platform comparisons on DF or elsewhere. This isn't anything new. His Resetera statement below is flat out embarrassing considering he presents himself as an objective tech expert of sorts. Not only does he contradict what you're saying, he goes as far as to state his belief in the infamous FUD of Series console being "Full RDNA2" and PS5 "half way" RDNA 2. He assumed raw teraflops and bandwidth are the most important factors and faster GPU of Series X would prove better than PS5 at onset (spoiler alert: he was dead wrong).

Ak1TG2l.jpg

Great, so your only point of evidence is a resetera post from when before the consoles even launched? A post in which Alex outright admits he is speculating? He is not even totally wrong the PS5 flat out doesn't have VRS or Sampler Feedback Streaming (no other GPU has the latter, not that it appears to mean much, also not be be confused with regular Sampler Feedback). His assumption about bandwidth and Teraflops is not exactly odd either, most people were assuming the exact same thing.

Has there been any actual articles or videos since the console launch where DF flat out claims that the PS5 doesn't have mesh/primitive shaders? Because so far your only evidence is a video that doesn't say what you wish it did and a forum post speculating about the upcoming consoles from October 2020. I mean the original claim is multiple recent articles is it not? Your gif claims you can keep going, so by all means, please do.

Edit: The only recent thing I can find is the following:

The last thing to say about Alan Wake 2's graphics is that it uses mesh shaders on PC and Xbox Series consoles and a similar system on PlayStation 5. Mesh shaders are used to fine-grain cull away geometry that the player cannot see from their view perspective to reduce the cost of the rendering and here Alan Wake 2 uses those cost savings to ridiculously pump up the geometry quality of everything on-screen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom